Quantcast Wow! Article of line skipping - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Two comments in regards to the incident in the article. First, I don't think a lot of people are doing this. And, second, you really can't do anything about people like that. If someone goes to the trouble and expense to find a way to abuse the system, they will continue to make that effort. Certainly, if Disney can find a way to change something to keep it from being abused as much, that's great, but there are people who will always go all out to find a way around it. But I really think those kind of people are in the minority.

I have to say that I have never, in all our visits to WDW, noticed someone using a GAC card. I wouldn't even know they exist if it weren't for Intercot. Now, granted, I'm not the most observant person in the world, but if it were that prevalent, I would think even I would notice it.

A few other thoughts, it's great if someone is comfortable openly talking about a disability. Not everyone is and no one wants to feel uncomfortable or embarrassed on vacation, especially if they're having to ask for help. This would likely deter people genuinely needing it, not abusers. I think it's great that Disney offers this service at no charge. Again, I think charging for it would likely take the option away from people who genuinely need it, more than it would take away from abusers. Where are all these people who need GACs when they're not in WDW? How would you know them? There is no where else where you can spot them showing a GAC card.

I'm not at all denying there are abusers. I just think they're more of a minority than some people perceive. Definitely, I'm all for WDW trying to make sure abusers don't succeed, but I hope they don't end up excluding people who really do need it.
    Wonderful post and I agree 100%. I have to admit [get your tomatoes ready ] that *sometimes* people have a tendency to overreact a little more on here than in the general populace.

As far as paying. No way. How very discriminitary in my opinion of my child who already has disabilities. Charging for a GAC to me is like saying "too bad so sad you have special needs."

And I would think because of HIPPA laws Disney would not be allowed to retain any such medical information [even if given voluntarily by the person needing the GAC].

Sure abuse happens, but I would like to believe that the majority of people are using it properly.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

But, along with using a GAC comes the rather nasty comments and assumptions from other guests. While I generally pride myself on being able to let this stuff roll off my back, I got SO SICK of the "must be nice" comment after about the hundredth time, and I spun around and snapped back to the guy who said it, "It must be nice to have kids that don't have Autism. Wanna trade?" I admit, it's not my proudest moment, but I had had enough.
    I don't blame you for reacting like that - enough is enough sometimes. And honestly, I don't think it was such a bad thing to say. It's terrible when people act like that. At least my husband is an adult and can refuse to allow himself to be upset by the way people act, but to make those comments in front of a child is inexcusable!

I will admit that before I had experience of living with a person with a handicap, I was more skeptical of others (although I kept the skepticism to myself, rather than spouting off like an idiot). But after I experienced it firsthand, it opened my eyes. Now, I just accept that there MAY be people who take advantage of the system (whether at WDW or in a handicapped parking spot at the local mall), but I would prefer to believe a person who is cheating than to doubt a person who is not.

Being kind is FAR more important than being right.

Post Thanks / Like

I just listened to a podcast of NPR's popular (national audience in the millions) of "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" from this past Saturday, and in the Stump the Listener segment,each of the three panelists tells the contestant a completely outrageously preposterous story from the news, only one of which is real. The other two are made up and the contestant has to guess which one is real. This past Saturday, I knew instantly which was the real story, because it was the "Manhattan socialites hire disabled people to pose as family members to jump the lines at Disney World" story. The contestant got it wrong, undoubtedly deciding the actual story seemed too preposterous and too unthinkable to be real. Everybody was suitably appalled.
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

Post Thanks / Like

"Being kind is FAR more important than being right. "

Well said, biodtl!!!
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: