Quantcast Training Check-in/Encouragement Thread - Page 7

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Got my 1/2 marathon in last week Sunday and surprisingly came within 3 minutes of my PR. Since I hadn't really trained for the half, was recovering from a cold, and the course was hilly, I was super stoked to get that time. Proof of time sent in to the Run Disney folks - one step closer to the big run in January!
    Beth aka Gretel - I blame the dolls.

Total trips: I've lost count!
    Resorts: POR, GF, Poly, CB, Pop
    Last trip - Jan 2014 Pop Century & POR; Dopey Challenge
    Next trip - Disneyland Aug, 2014 Half Marathon

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just ran the Twilight 5K tonight. I shaved a minute off my time -- 32 minutes. Woo Hoo
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow

You guys are doing terrific. What an inspiration!

There's another 5K obstacle in my area this weekend. Then I have to find something I can put my time on and build from there. My weight is coming off and my health is much better. My cardio workouts are strong... I just have to get my stamina up. I'm using the Galloway method and it seems to work well for me.

Keep posting everyone I just love reading them!
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneygoofball View Post
    Got my 1/2 marathon in last week Sunday and surprisingly came within 3 minutes of my PR. Since I hadn't really trained for the half, was recovering from a cold, and the course was hilly, I was super stoked to get that time. Proof of time sent in to the Run Disney folks - one step closer to the big run in January!
    I am so happy for you! I know you were concerned about the hills hurting your time. So glad it went well!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Default Warm Up?

Ok, so maybe this is an easy question...for the veteran runners out there…

Wife and I have been using JG's Easy 5K app since April2013. We really like it. We are amazed that he never really talks about "warm-up" exercises/stretching prior to his workouts. Sure he does have you walk for so many minutes then maybe a warm up run on the long day work outs in his program – but that’s it.

BUT what are you all doing to get ready for a run/workout?

We are not having issues but just wondering if JG's few minute walk is all that is needed.

THANKS!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Been There; Done That; Got The Shirt; AND GOING BACK!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMRO View Post

Wife and I have been using JG's Easy 5K app since April2013. We really like it. We are amazed that he never really talks about "warm-up" exercises/stretching prior to his workouts. Sure he does have you walk for so many minutes then maybe a warm up run on the long day work outs in his program – but that’s it.

We are not having issues but just wondering if JG's few minute walk is all that is needed.

THANKS!
    When I start out, I just start at a slower pace (not even a walk, a slow jog). I don't stretch before a run. Usually it takes about 1 mile or so before all the kinks work out, but they work themselves out. Sometimes it takes awhile for your body to realize that, "Oh, we are running today?" There have been times for me personally that I have gone 2.5-3 miles before my body catches up/wakes up.

I'm interested to hear what others do. At any rate, it has to work for you.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Carrie.

I feel that too...about the first .50 or .75 into a run - I don't feel the want to quit - but my body is like what is this??? lol

Then it almost happens all at once and the rhythm hits and I get into the zone and as you say the kinks get worked out.

What a nice feeling once you get into the groove!!!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

THANKS!

I’m a pace group leader in the local Jeff Galloway training program in the Twin Cities and have had the opportunity to listen to Jeff speak a few times with the most recent one being back in March, and the current philosophy on stretching is to not do it, or at the very least to not do it cold.

Jeff does not seem to a big proponent of stretching at all but feels that the best time to stretch is about a half an hour after a workout which gives the muscles a few minutes to relax after being stressed. Personally if I waited a half hour after running to stretch, my legs would turn into rocks, but I do let them rest by walking for 10 to 15 minutes before I start my stretch.

I attended a seminar a few years ago and was listening to a speaker from the Sister Kinney institute which is a rehabilitation clinic here in the Twin Cities that also deals in sports related injuries and according to him when you stretch a cold muscle you are creating several micro tears in the muscle tissue which when coupled with the micro tears that are created when you run, can help lead you to injury.

The best way to prepare your muscles for any strenuous activity is to warm them up slowly through motion, so when I start out on a run I start out by walking and then start running at a very slow pace and gradually pick up speed as I feel everything start to loosen up.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for the great info!

Figured there was a reason JG never mentions in his coaching in the app to stretch... or to be sure you did.

KEWL!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for a dynamic warm up and a post-workout stretch session, but I haven't thought to wait 15 minutes to a half hour after a run to stretch. Maybe I'll give that a try next run.

I was completely sidelined last week by Norovirus, YUCK so I haven't run or done anything physical in a while. Need to get back at it now that I'm feeling better. I have a 10 miler in 2 months I need to get ready for, and I want to do as well as I can since it will be the proof of time I send to runDisney.

What do any of you do for runner's knee? I am starting to feel it in my right knee around mile 4 or 5. I think some of it has to do with needing new running sneakers soon, but maybe I should try some insoles or a knee brace?
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

It is wonderful to read about all of the training and race accomplishments. It is interesting to read the posts about stretching philosophies. I have never been one to incorporate a lot of stretching, and I usually feel guilty. However, I realize I am more like Carrie, in that I usually warm up over the first mile or two. Although, it sometimes takes me a little longer to get into the groove

My base training has been going fine, but I need to start getting in some longer runs on the weekends. I just wish I had a running partner, as it seems to make the miles pass more quickly.

Keep up the great work!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a bout with runner’s knee last year. WOW did that hurt. Unfortunately I kept on pushing. I knew no better. I've only been using JG's method since April2013 so I didn't know his method of what to do if you get hurt running or how to stay injury free.

Anyway I had been power walking for about 4 years pulling a 11 to 12 m/mile consistently. So I figured let's throw in a jog/run. Well in about 2 weeks of doing this I really hurt my right knee. I do 4 miles…and was walking 2 and running 2 - 1W; 1R; 1W; 1R. Wow did I mess myself up!

Because I kept on walking hard while my knee was hurt, I gave up on running after that, it took me about 2 months for the pain to finally go away. It could have been longer. Since then I learned the importance of good shoes, ones that are not worn out...as well as a nice short stride and the W,R,W method too. I was running full miles with no stopping. WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!???? I feel between the worn out shoes and my in-experience of having a longer run stride I induced the knee issue.

Now since April2013 I prepared for my first 5K in May2013. Yes I’d been walking – never had given that up. During the 5K I finished up much better than I thought I could – a 28:46 less any pushing. Upon that return from vacation and 5K I got JG's app and have been using it when I go out each run. I've seen my improvements and come to realize ALL the mistakes I made in the past. So far all is very good and my runs are improving and I'm staying injury free. AND THE FUN LEVEL has really improved too.

SORRY - can't offer any help for the knee...but I do know it's painful. I know I self medicated with ibuprofen and STOP PAIN spray. Hey I lived on that for over 2 months. I sure am glad I gave running another chance...now a little smarter, I'm all in. In my case I blame me for my inexperience of getting hurt.

Far as running with a partner...my wife and I started in April2013 for our first 5k in May. We have walked at home during the week in the past. Not bad…walking is easy to keep a pace with someone, IMO. And the walks were short, 2miles each. For running though - problem is she is shorter than me. And has a slower pace and shorter stride. So she always tried to speed up as I slowed down to match so we could run together. BUT now we both have the JG app and now WE both feel we enjoy our runs more since she does her own thing as I do. We go to the track or lot to run together on our run days...but we only meet up after our workouts. Yes she did her first 5K too in May2013. She did very well and we are both proud. Since using JG’s app she has improved too. She’s running more/longer workouts and improving her stamina and speed. We feel with the app we can run at our own pace and enjoy it. Not that we are looking to be Olympians...but if you holding your natural pace back or speeding up to try and match a partner...it could actually make you enjoy the workout less. Just my thoughts... BUT I do know what ya mean with doing it alone. I run at work alone. Don't mind it...but our weekend runs and evening runs with the wife are BETTER!!! I’m sure there could be better apps out there…but I gotta say JG’s is working for us and we both enjoy it. BUT wow it sure is a BATTERY HOG for the iDevice! LOL

ENJOY and stay injury free!!!

BTW, if JG ever comes to Pittsburgh WE want to attend one of his seminars!!!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yinzer!

BTW, if JG ever comes to Pittsburgh WE want to attend one of his seminars!!!
    I'm glad your training is going better. Thanks for the detail so I don't make the same mistakes.

You're in Pittsburgh? JG was just here for the Pittsburgh marathon.

Where do you run? I'm also looking for a partner in crime (fellow Yinzer here)
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

It is great to see some fellow western Pennsylvanians. I am a big fan of the Montour trail. It has some different running surfaces and a lot of options for entering and exiting.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it is!

KEWL!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMTStone View Post
    I'm glad your training is going better. Thanks for the detail so I don't make the same mistakes.

You're in Pittsburgh? JG was just here for the Pittsburgh marathon.

Where do you run? I'm also looking for a partner in crime (fellow Yinzer here)
    I work in Cranberry Twp. So I run on the road towards Knob Park.

When wife and I run during the week or weekends we live near Deer Lakes HS. SO we try and use the running track...but though schools out...they had a lot of stuff on the field/track. So we have been using their LARGE parking lot. Not bad but I can say that I do enjoy the track due to the surface for the longer runs JG has you do during his workouts.

THANKS!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone ever done a glow in the dark 5K? They are having one here where I live in October that I think I'm going to run. Looks like fun; although there isn't a lot of info on the website yet.

Also might do the local 5K in August that benefits the track team for my DD16 high school.

And depending on DD16 HS soccer schedule, I may run the Color Run in Providence with her, my sister and niece.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to do a glow run and a color run!

I did a donut run and had a blast!

I also want to do a tough mudder. But that Wouk require EXTENSIVE training and I'm not sure my body is up to that!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dirty Girl

I did the Dirty Girl 5K with 12 obstacles. It was fantastic. I wore Minnie ears. We got DIRTY and had a blast. I wanted to do the Rukkus but its the weekend before we leave for Disney but with my luck, I'd break something and have to use crutches in the parks........ in July.....
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

The night glow run sounds pretty neat. I've LED's on my Harley...and on my night flying models. Yes we night fly R/C too! I can imagine outfitting my shoes with some sort of glow wire or LEDs for night runs!

ALSO, what equipment do you folks like for logg'n your workouts/runs? I've been using the Nike+ stuff. Any of you folks on the nike plus site? I got the GPS Sportswatch for Christmas this year. Was on the fence between the fuel band and the watch. Decided on the watch and so far love it! Prior to that I used my iPhone or iTouch with the Nike Run app on an arm wrap with buds. Now-a-days I use my iTouch for JG's app and the Sportswatch for the actual logging. Really like how that app works far as the motivation and music beat match for pace. Very nice!

Interested in what ya use.

BTW, I got some Nike Fit Dry socks while at the outlets in FLA in MAY. WOW, what a difference these thin socks make. I used them for a few days during my morning runs around CBR while on vacation. After that we went back to the outlets and got a few more pairs! Another thing we love about our vacations/trips to the WORLD are the great running places and stores! Yea, I shop... LOL Wife laughs cause she says I have an eye for things as I say that are KEWL!

Great thread!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: