Quantcast Park Hoppers - Worth it with FP+ ?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Park Hoppers - Worth it with FP+ ?

If you're only allowed 3 fast passes per day - and at one park only (I still think 3 is way too low) - why would you spend the extra money to park hop?

Just curious if anyone has reconsidered this option? We used to go to MK maybe in the morning, Studios at night for dinner - there were always fast passes available for Test Track & Rock & Roll - not Toy Story Mania - but that was always our morning attraction there.

Doesn't seem to be worth the extra money to do this any more if we're going to have to wait on long lines.....

My line tolerance is usually 30 minutes - or I go back another time.
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

if onsite you can do EMH early hour at Mk till it gets busy then head to another park where you have your fastpasses

That's all I can see..

That or spend the day at park A then go see the fireworks at another park
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007
    GF June 2014 (25th Anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

I think park hopper is MORE necessar now, basically using the plan listed above.

Morning in one park without FP, afternoon in another park with FP.

Of course, that plan would also work if you stayed in one park and wanted to do some rides twice.

Post Thanks / Like

we use the hopper still....we like to eat at different restaurants and most times these are not in the parks that we start the day with. also nice to able to hop to the parks that stay open later or to watch the shows at the end of the night...
    1981 - 2001
    1/02 - All Star Movie
    1/04 - POFQ
    1/06 - ASMov
    1/08 - ASMus
    5/09 - Contemporary
    5/11 - PC
    5/12 - ASM
    5/13 - Coronado Springs
    5/14 - Port Orleans Riverside
    6/5 - Shades of Green
    1/17 - A of A
    5/18 - POR
    9/19 - Caribbean
    11/19 - AKL
    4/21 - Pop Century
    12/21 - Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

We've always gotten the hopper, and I'm actually more excited about it now. (about the only think I'm looking forward to with FP+).

We'll be able to arrive in our second park of the day, with 3 attractions all lined up and ready to go. I'm counting on an early start in the first park still making it possible to get on a number of attractions before the lines get crazy long.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

My problem - and why I don't think I can get away without hoppers- is that we are perfectly happy to spend all day in one park, BUT we like to eat at Epcot lots. So a typical day is go to whatever park, go back to the hotel for a swim and/or nap, then head to Epcot for meals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    My problem - and why I don't think I can get away without hoppers- is that we are perfectly happy to spend all day in one park, BUT we like to eat at Epcot lots. So a typical day is go to whatever park, go back to the hotel for a swim and/or nap, then head to Epcot for meals.
    This is the reason while I'll always get Park Hopper passes. I'll typically spend the majority of the day in 1 park, but might hop over to another park for dinner, Extra Magic Hours, or fireworks.
    1986 & 1990 - off-site
    1988 - Dixie Landings
    1995 - Euro Disney - Hotel New York
    2001 - CBR
    2008 - POP
    March & May 2016 - POP
    July 2016 - CSR
    Sept 2016 - CSR
    Nov 2016 - POFQ & WL
    March 2017 - POR
    May 2017 - POR
    Upcoming trip: Nov 2019

Post Thanks / Like

FP+ or no FP+, we've grown to be so spoiled with park hoppers.

A great plan seems to be to get your fastpasses for your afternoon parks. OR if you're inclined to not get park hoppers, get FPs for the busy times. You can do a ride in the AM and then do again when its busy!

I know its not the most popular opinion, but I think three pastpasses is enough. MK being the exception, it covers most of the major rides in the park. Get three, wait on one or two. IDK. I'm not really that bothered by it. We don't even stay on site, so we're at a disadvantage (can't sign up as early for em!), but I still think it works.

Post Thanks / Like

We've always park hopped, and I don't think we've EVER gotten more than 3 FP's in a day anyway.... usually more like 1 or 2, so the new FP rules and park hopping are perfectly fine with us.

I don't like the need to book FP's in advance, but so be it. I'll book some, but I won't plan out every day... that's just ridiculous.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

The Park Hopper is a given for us. We feel the versatility of the PH is even more important to us than the FP or FP+. We certainly look to take advantage of the FP+ where we can, but we're also very willing to enjoy some of the attractions the way we always have - by standing and waiting sometimes.

The most important part of our planning is trying to work our trips around avoiding the busiest times at Disney - that makes the standby lines at least tolerable most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

It was rare (if ever) that we were able to get a Fast Pass in the afternoon or evening, so this new system is going really help us if we decide to use the FP+'s in the afternoon. Like an earlier person said, we might just go walk on the rides we want in the morning at one park and then after taking a mid-day break, head to another park and use the pre-selected FP+'s.
    "Dream'nDisney"
    1989 HJ (Downtown Disney area)
    1991 CBR
    1997 CBR
    1998 CBR
    2000 POFQ
    2002 CSR & Poly
    2004 POR
    2006 AsM & BC
    2010 YC
    2011 YC
    2014 YC
    2016 YC

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't hopped in years, and I like having that extra money to spend on great meals or special purchases.

Parking hopping is great if you're full of energy after spending a morning at a park. I've found the older I get the less "hopping" I want to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies.

We always park hop too - its the first time we're considering not doing so.

But in reading your replies - I see where it might work - getting a Soarin FP on the night we're having dinner at Epcot - but go to the MK in the morning & wait on shorter standby lines there.

I guess its a change in mentality. We are a family that took advantage of how ever many FPs the system allowed us - going to be weird waiting on the standby line in Splash Mountain - when before we never went on it unless we had a fast pass!

I know - spoiled first world problems......

But I'll be on that line - thinking - well - tonight you won't have to wait for Soarin - but in my experience, even with a FP for Soarin - there's always a wait!

I am a planner (ADRs always in advance on the first day I'm allowed to get them) - but I really dislike having to plan these attraction times ahead of schedule - takes some of the "magic" out of it.......

Who knows - maybe we'll come to like it. Wont know until we try.....
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Swan '07
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

I love how people from New Jersey stand "on" line. One of my favorite regional quirks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfan123 View Post
    I love how people from New Jersey stand "on" line. One of my favorite regional quirks.
    I never knew that "we" were the only ones who did that!?

I guess the equally as offensive alternative is "in line?" But then, we'd be admitting that we are voluntarily doing so - when in reality the fact is that there are too many people waiting "in line" for "our" turn..... lol
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Swan '07
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

Why are people letting fast pass+ dominate their vacations? Remember the good ole days when you went to a park unplanned in the morning and ended up at another one at night? Remember connecting to strangers while waiting in line? I long for the olden days!
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Just read on another blog that WDW will allow additional fast passes after the 3rd one is used (you'll have to add them that day) - and they are considering adding the FP+ option to park hop as well.

Makes me feel much much better!
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Swan '07
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGiant View Post

I guess its a change in mentality. We are a family that took advantage of how ever many FPs the system allowed us - going to be weird waiting on the standby line in Splash Mountain - when before we never went on it unless we had a fast pass!
    Same here. I'm going to see many standby queues that I haven't seen in years for our upcoming trip.
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on how you use it. I don't think there is an easy answer that would apply to every situation. I cannot imagine being there without the option, just for the flexibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGiant View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

Who knows - maybe we'll come to like it. Wont know until we try.....
    Conversely, we try to go during light seasons (if one even exists) and NEVER used FastPass on POTC or Haunted Mansion among others as it wasn't needed. Will we now need to "schedule" these well in advance so we are assured to ride a few of our favorites?

I agree, though, that I can't make a fair judgment regarding the new system until I experience it for myself. I have hope, but I am equally anxious.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness