Quantcast Need Help Planning Universal

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Help Planning Universal

My husband and I are planning on taking a day away from Disney to go to Universal (on Monday, 8/17). I can't do motion simulators, and I know they have a lot of that there. We also don't plan on doing water rides. Harry Potter is my main interest, but I'm hoping there's more for us to do than just that. That being said, I see online the HP stuff is split between Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. Since that is my main interest, do you think it's worth it to pay to go to both parks? We were also debating on the $40/person Express Pass. Any thoughts on this? If we do both parks and get the Express Pass it will be about $400, which seems insane. It better be amazing for that price!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, pretty expensive, so we didn't get the front of the line tickets, which don't work for the two main HP rides. You won't be able to do forbidden journey as it a type of motion simulations. We spent most of our time in the two HP lands.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Are you going to do the big rollercoasters? If you won't do the simulators or the water attractions I wouldn't bother buying the Express Pass. As previously stated they do not work on the HP attractions, and unless you are doing the coasters you will have plenty of time to wait in line for anything else you want to do. You must purchase a park to park ticket because HP attractions are in both parks...plus you can't ride Hogwarts Express without it.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luv4WDW View Post
    If we do both parks and get the Express Pass it will be about $400, which seems insane. It better be amazing for that price!
    This is something that I can't seem to understand.....Taking the Express Pass out of the picture because it is not required . Universal is CHEAPER than Disney.

One day at Disney with Park Hopper for two adults $330
    One day at Universal with Park Hopper for two adults $313

Both prices include sales tax.

Is it expensive...Yes but why do people think it is insane for Universal to charge those prices but it's not insane of Disney to charge even more.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can take the Express Pass out of the picture. If you do you're not comparing apples to apples. I'm using a minimum of three free FastPasses at WDW per day. I'm able to use them on their most popular attractions, too, unlike at Universal, where you are charged $40/person and then you still can't use them on the HP stuff.

In addition, at Disney World I'm going for way more than one day, so I'm paying significantly less per day than my one day at Universal. I realize this might not make sense to some people, but it does to me.

Additionally, I can participate in almost all of the rides and attractions at WDW (except for Star Tours and Mission: Space). Universal has a more significant percentage of their rides that people who get motion sick can't take part in. They also don't have as many rides everybody in the family can ride (not an issue in my case, but I just wanted to mention it). To each their own, but Disney seems like a much better value to me, given my interests and what I can partake in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Are you going to do the big rollercoasters?
    We have a few on our list, but really not a lot. I think there are probably only two rollercoasters that are must-dos for us. I think it makes more sense to not get the Express Pass, start with HP and then move on to the rollercoasters and just do as much as we can. Hopefully the crowds will be in our favor!

Thanks for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't do motion simulators, both of the Harry Potter rides might be a problem for you. On our first day at Universal last year, the Harry Potter ride pretty much did my husband in. After that, there were many rides I did solo. Although I greatly enjoyed both of the Harry Potter rides (as well as many of the other simulator rides offered by Universal), I would not hurry back as there just isn't enough that my husband can do to make it worthwhile for us.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can take the Express Pass out of the picture. If you do you're not comparing apples to apples. I'm using a minimum of three free FastPasses at WDW per day. I'm able to use them on their most popular attractions, too, unlike at Universal, where you are charged $40/person and then you still can't use them on the HP stuff.

In addition, at Disney World I'm going for way more than one day, so I'm paying significantly less per day than my one day at Universal. I realize this might not make sense to some people, but it does to me.

Additionally, I can participate in almost all of the rides and attractions at WDW (except for Star Tours and Mission: Space). Universal has a more significant percentage of their rides that people who get motion sick can't take part in. They also don't have as many rides everybody in the family can ride (not an issue in my case, but I just wanted to mention it). To each their own, but Disney seems like a much better value to me, given my interests and what I can partake in.
    Well I have to respectfully take issue on every one of your points.....

Express pass is every ride (Except for HP) as many times as you would like to ride. We use ours all day long so that is maybe 30 rides per day...Disney is 3 rides per day. You can use the argument that you can get more but they are not guaranteed and personally I have never been able to get more, they are gone by the time my first three are up. My main point is that Express Pass is not a requirement to get on attractions so you CAN go and not purchase it.

You second point ....Of course the more days you go to Disney the cheaper it is per day.....the very SAME as Universal. Comparing Apples to Apples Universal is cheaper than Disney per day.... period.

Your third point are motion rides ....Well, this is something I hear often, but don't get. Universal has (8) 3D/motion type attractions between both parks. Disney has (6) attractions between their parks. Universal only has two more than Disney ..So why is there such a backlash for the Universal attractions?

Everyone has to do what is right for their family but I just hear the same criticisms about Universal over and over again but Disney mirrors Universal on all of these points.

I guess we have to agree to disagree.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a list in front of me, but does Disney have 6 simulator rides, or 6 3D rides? And what about Universal? I can do 3D, I can't do simulator. A Bugs Life is fine for me, but back when Body Wars was there it was BAAAD news. If you have any thoughts as to which rides at Universal I'd be able to handle and what ones I couldn't I'd love to hear them! I don't know much about Universal so I'm just kind of guessing based on descriptions. Rollercoasters don't bother me, either. I can do Soarin' so long as I close my eyes at certain points. Thankfully I know when they are coming.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a list in front of me, but does Disney have 6 simulator rides, or 6 3D rides? And what about Universal? I can do 3D, I can't do simulator. A Bugs Life is fine for me, but back when Body Wars was there it was BAAAD news. If you have any thoughts as to which rides at Universal I'd be able to handle and what ones I couldn't I'd love to hear them! I don't know much about Universal so I'm just kind of guessing based on descriptions. Rollercoasters don't bother me, either. I can do Soarin' so long as I close my eyes at certain points. Thankfully I know when they are coming.
    Honestly the only attractions at Universal that I hear issues on for a lot of people are Forbidden Journey, the Minions, and the Simpsons. Spiderman & the Transformers are very similar rides that actually move and even my husband who is sensitive to motion is OK with them....I have never known anyone personally who had a problem with either one of them. Shrek & the Terminator will be fine for you if you can do "A Bug's Life". The new HP ride I have not done yet so I can't comment on that.

A side note....I close my eyes while on Soarin during the traffic scene at the end. I usually do not get motion sickness but that one gets me....The only problem I have ever had at Universal is if I ride the Simpson's more than two times in a row. Spiderman and Transformers I have been on fours times in a row each and never felt sick at all....And I did get sick on Body Wars back in the day.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a breakdown that might help you out.
    I am having trouble getting on the Universal web site so I am doing this from memory.

Universal = Disney

Men in Black = Buzz
    Jurassic Park = Splash Mountain
    Cat in the Hat = Winnie the Pooh
    ET = Peter Pan
    Mummy = Rockin Rollercoaster
    Hippogriff = Barnstomer
    One Fish Two Fish = Dumbo
    Shrek = Tough to be a Bug
    Disaster = Backlot Tour
    Doctor Doom = Tower of Terror
    Simpsons = Star Wars
    Popeye & Bluto = Kali
    Storm Force = Teacups
    Caro Seuss El = Disney's Carousel
    Sky Train Trolley = People Mover

Of course these rides aren't exactly the same but very similar. In a lot of cases I think Universal's versions are better than Disney's....but that's my opinion.

Spiderman & Transformers along with the HP stuff do not have Disney counterparts.
    Either do Universals really big coasters like the Hulk and RRR and Dragon Challenge.
    Dudley DO Right is a Splash Mountain on steroids

Terminator is very cool 4D (no motion, seats don't move) and live action combo nothing like that at Disney
    Poseidon Fury is unique also and it's a walk thru
    The Horror Make Up Show is excellent...Not to be missed.. Nothing like that in Disney...Funny also
    SinBAD...skip this show

Minions is kind of like Soarin but Not like Soarin. The vehicle moves and there is a screen. Some complain about motion sickness on this ride.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

NJ Girl pretty much summed it up nicely.

I love Universal and we are not big coaster people and I can't do sims either.

If you aren't planning on making it ride heavy, don't bother with the Express Pass. We have never gotten one and not had any problems getting on the rides we want.

HP World is amazing! Take the extra you would spend on the Express Pass and get the park hopper so as to ride the Train. Lots to snoop about and see without having to do the rides.

I do recommend walk throughs on all the rides just to see the theming. Well worth it and great to see!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Body Wars was the worst ever!!! We went to Universal a few weeks ago. Most of the rides have some simulation but in most cases, I could find a fixed point to look away and did alright with Dramamine. I skipped both Harry Potter rides because they looked too intense for my little one and I thought I would get sick. I am pro express pass. The heat is brutal, and with it we never waited in line for anything. It was great.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: