Quantcast Tropical Storms Bonnie and Charley - Page 10

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Long Island, New York- studying in DC at GWU
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by bradleysnana:
    I wonder if the reason that Animal Kingdom is closed because of all the tress possibly being down. That could be a major clean up job.
    That was my guess as well. I also imagine that the cast members will have to check the entire land mass in which the animals reside for any type of debris that may have flown in to make sure the animals don't get a hold of it.
    (I wanted a name change. You can now find me as: ImagiAsh) șoș

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm over here in Tampa and feeling so lucky right now! All day Thursday and Friday the hurricane was expected to hit us head on and as you all know now, it swung east at the last minute. I've seen the devastation in the other areas now and am certainly counting my blessings! We had a hurricane party on Thursday night (Charley was still only a Cat 2) but now I feel like a total JERK for doing so [img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img] . Those poor people.

I woke up this morning worried about Disney. I'm thinking about driving over (it's about an hour) but am worried about the traffic getting back. Many people from Tampa evacuated to Orlando, thinking it would be much safer. What a bummer!

Nikki
    Carolyn & Nikki - Two sisters whose first visit was the day before the Magic began...and have been hooked ever since!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by bradleysnana:
    Is anyone here from the coast area of North/South Carolina? How is the weather there? What are you hearing? I hope that you will stay safe as Charley comes back ashore.
    It's about 10;30 as I write this from southeastern NC coast, and everything is rainy but quiet right now. Last I heard, Charley was supposed to come in around North Myrtle Beach, which means we can expect pretty heavy weather up here just over the SC line.

I just looked out the window, and the wind is picking up a little. At least we're going into low tide now at the beaches. We've had so many hurricanes over the last several years that everybody just calmly goes about the usual preparations. Our town shuts off the power system once the winds get to a certain strength, so I'll probably be offline once things get going.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got back from Florida last night, and was dying to get on the boards to see what was going on over there!
    I was in Destin, and got through Bonnie just fine.

I was so worried about everyone in the Orlando area. Even after being on the boards for such a short time, I still feel like I know a lot of you.

On our way home to Lafayette yesterday, we must have seen 200 power trucks on the way to Florida to help. So, help is on the way!!

After going through hurricane Lilli 2 yars ago, I can imagine what everyone is going through. Please follow the curfew, and be careful on the roads.

I am happy to hear that the parks are up and running again. I hope everyone has a Magical time for the rest of their vacation.
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I just tried to call Fort Myers and couldn't get through. My Aunt and Uncle live there.
    I then called my Mom in Vermont and they had not heard anything yet. She was going to try again later.
    I did try to send an e-mail but I doubt that would get through. Hopefully no news is good news. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    BRENDA

Been to the land of happiness more times than I can count and still going.

Post Thanks / Like

Brenda, some pixie dust for your family *~*~*~*~ I hope all is well with them. Glad to hear from everyone else checking in. Let's keep the faith going.

Drummerboy~ pixie dust for you also, *~*~*~*~ as Charley heads your way, hoping you are all safe and sound, and please to let us know you are okay once you are able to again.
    AKA~Jody
    Off site-Dec 1984, Apr 1995, Nov 2000, Oct 2003, May 2004, Oct 2004, Dec 2006, Sept 2007, Sept/Oct 2008, Dec 2010, Nov 2012, Oct 2014, Dec 2017
    POP Centry- Dec 2004 (first stay onsite), Dec 2011
    CBR-Sept 2005, Dec 2005, Dec 2008, Sept 2009, Nov 2015
    AKL- Dec 2014
    Poly -May 2006

Post Thanks / Like

My father works at Animal Kingdom - I talked with him many times last night before and after the storm hit - He's fine - lots of damage to his complex though - trees down, his mailbox flew away - a light post, and tree just missed his truck - and he lost power. He compared the sound of the wind to a freight train - I have not been able to talk to him since last night around 9:30 -I've tried this morning, but his cell phone is not working. I imagine he is at AK helping in the
    clean up.

Post Thanks / Like

hope everyone is ok...my asst mgr is vacationing there right now. and an ex employee just moved to Kissimee afew wks ago to teach...

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by drummerboy:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by bradleysnana:
    Is anyone here from the coast area of North/South Carolina? How is the weather there? What are you hearing? I hope that you will stay safe as Charley comes back ashore.
    It's about 10;30 as I write this from southeastern NC coast, and everything is rainy but quiet right now. Last I heard, Charley was supposed to come in around North Myrtle Beach, which means we can expect pretty heavy weather up here just over the SC line.

I just looked out the window, and the wind is picking up a little. At least we're going into low tide now at the beaches. We've had so many hurricanes over the last several years that everybody just calmly goes about the usual preparations. Our town shuts off the power system once the winds get to a certain strength, so I'll probably be offline once things get going.
    </font>[/QUOTE]You guys stay safe down there, drummerboy! I'm thinking about you. We've got everything secured and are ready. They are saying the worst winds are going to be east of the track of the storm, and that's us. Like you guys, the base shuts off power as the high winds/storm approaches, so I'll probably be off of here in a bit. Take care!
    Melanie aka Melanears șOș

Post Thanks / Like

glad to hear you guys survived ok..hope everyone else is ok...
    my asst mgr is vacationing at WDW now. and an ex-employee just moved few wks ago to Kissimmee to teach...have to try to call them to see that they are ok as well. take care all
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Winds have picked up quite a bit in the last 15 minutes, and the rain is getting heavier...just looked out...much heavier. I think we're in the "red" bands they show on the weather radar. According to local weather, Charley has come into Myrtle Beach about now.

The rain is shifting every direction as the winds pick up. I think we're about 30-40mph steady now. We're also under tornado watch, according to the local stations.

I'll keep these short and send while I can until the power is cut off or it gets too windy for me to stay upstairs.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in Charleston, SC (Goose Creek). It scooted right by us. We actually have sun out now. The storm appears to be going north. Even when they said the center of the storm was 35 miles SSE of Charleston, which would have put it perhaps 60 miles from us, we did not get much wind and rain. It seems to have petered out in Florida, and the jet streams have sheared the lower half of the storm preventing it from strengthening.

Good luck to those of you in N. Carolina, and our thoughts are with those in Florida. We are heading down Sept 3rd, so we are concerned about the damage if any.

I used to work/stay in the Western part of Florida. Its a beautiful area. Put cell towers in Punta Gorda, Arcadia, Port Charlotte, Naples, Ft. Myers, Marco Island.
    Johnny Po!
    1978 - 1984 too many to count - OffSite
    2000 - POFQ, MOWC (Sept)
    2001 - CS, Offsite (Jan) ASM (June) POFQ (Sept)
    2004 - POFQ (Sept)
    2005 - WL (June) AKL (Sept)
    2008 - Poly (Nov)
    2009 - Poly Club (July)
    2011 - BC Club (Sept)
    2013 - BWI Club(Aug)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not yet in Florida, but I'll check in now anyway. We're in North Myrtle Beach right now. (we were supposed to leave for Disney this morning but had decided to stay the xtra night no as not to drive in the storm.

In the meantime, however, we had a mandatory evacuation order last night. So we had to pack up real quick and get out to this hotel which is just west of where the evacuation borderline was.

The hurricane is going on outside right now, but the worst of it hasn't hit yet. It looks like the wizard of oz outside. It's crazy. Trees are falling down and the wind is blowing the palm trees horizontal!

Two night ago, in fact, we had a tornado (because of Bonnie, before we evacuated) and we were all huddled in a bathroom, but all was ok.

I'm going to get offline now because the power keeps flickering. I'm afraid my computer just surged. But we're all okay right now and I'll keep you updated.

PS - Keep my pop pop in your prayers. He was rushed to the hospital two nights ago with a galbadder attach and a small aneurism in his aorta. He's in surgery RIGHT NOW in Philly and we're waiting for word. we're upset because we can't get out of here right now.
    Janine
    -----------------
    Disney World: 87, 89, 92, 96-97, 99-00, 02-05, 07-14
    Disneyland: 05, 10-14
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)
    DVC Member: 07-NOW

Digger Guest

Originally posted by Dreamin' of Disney:
    Digger, how is venice? I have an aunt that was there with her grandchildren? Is there huge amounts of damage and casualties there, we've not been able to reach them!!
    all I know is sarasota and manatee counties were 2 of the 4 hardest hit, Jody. we want to go down and see if we can help in any way, but they're telling people to keep out. punta gorda has no water, and there's still no power in the whole area. they're having a hard time physically getting into those areas, so tv and pictures are not really available. as soon as I hear anything, I'll let you know. good luck. I'm wondering about SallyP.

Post Thanks / Like

Found out that the tornado watch was issued because somebody spotted a water spout off one of our beaches, but it didn't make landfall. They have issued a tornado warning in Carteret County, up closer to Mel.

Things got a little quieter as one band passed by, but I imagine it will pick up again.

(edited for spelling)

[ August 14, 2004, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: drummerboy ]

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Originally posted by SgtTigger:
    8:35 AM CENTRAL TIME MSNBC had live pictures from a helicopter of the Contemporary and Magic Kingdom. You could see people entering the park at the Hub.

[img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Obviously this video is obtained by and submitted BY Disney, as the area is a no fly zone.
    I'm sure they want the world to know they are open for business. Which is GREAT news!!

Especially glad to hear the Contempory is well, as it is (in my opinion) the only place to stay! Those huge glass windows could have fallen victim to the wind!

On our last trip (June 04) a monirail driver told us wind was not a factor in keeping the monirails up and running. But if electricity is off in any part of the track, the entire track comes to a stop. (That is , all three separate tracks stop. The run from Epcott to the Hub, as well as the resort loop, and the Hub - Main Entr. Loop.)I'm sure they were stopped last night!

I have watched MSNBC for the past 2 hours in hopes of getting a glimpse of WDW. Thanks for the update.

Once again, it there only ONE web-cam? [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]
    Does anyone have a picture of the Castle Today?

Post Thanks / Like

For those wishing to make a donation:

All American Red Cross disaster assistance is free, made possible by voluntary donations of time and money from the American people. You can help the victims of Tropical Storm Bonnie and Hurricane Charley and thousands of other disasters across the country each year by making a financial gift to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund, which enables the Red Cross to provide shelter, food, counseling and other assistance to those in need. Call 1-800-HELP NOW or 1-800-257-7575 (Spanish). Internet users can make a secure online contribution by visiting our Online Donation Page.
    Nana to Brad, Alex, Dustin and Connor

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by KYmouse:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SgtTigger:
    8:35 AM CENTRAL TIME MSNBC had live pictures from a helicopter of the Contemporary and Magic Kingdom. You could see people entering the park at the Hub.

[img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Obviously this video is obtained by and submitted BY Disney, as the area is a no fly zone.
    </font>[/QUOTE]We were at the World in June and helicopters were flying over all the time. The Video I saw was taken by a NBC news helicopter. I think the no fly zone is a thing of the past.
    BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

Latest from Orlando Sentinel concerning the theme parks:

Despite damage and debris caused by Hurricane Charley, nearly all of Orlando's major theme parks and attractions planned to open for business today.

Walt Disney World expected to open the Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Disney-MGM studios at 9 a.m. Notices to guests, however, indicated Animal Kingdom will still be closed.

According to spokesperson Jacquee Polak, this was because so many Disney employees were unable to make it into work today, and the company was unable to staff Animal Kingdom properly.

Polak also said all the parks sufferred some landscaping damage, but none of the attractions were affected by the storm.

However, she said, Jungle Cruise and the Walt Disney World Railroad at the Magic Kingdom were to open late because of downed tree limbs and debris that would affect operation of the rides.

Universal Studios Orlando, meanwhile, planned to open both of its parks at 9:30 a.m.

"We took some minor damage, mostly landscaping, a little bit of structural damage," says Universal spokesman Tom Schroder. "Safety engineers inspected all the rides and determined they are safe. All rides will be working today when we open and are safe."

Schroder said 50 ride inspectors rode out the storm inside the park and then fanned out to check for damage once the storm had passed.

SeaWorld's Web site lists a noon opening.

At SeaWorld, the Fusion water ski show and the Happy Harbour Play Area for Children were closed Saturday morning because of debris.

Discovery Cove is also closed because of downed tree limbs.

Meanwhile, on International Drive, in the heart of Orlando's tourism corridor, hotel operators are out assessing damage and clean-up needs.

Under the large covered entrance at the Peabody Hotel, a man with a leaf-blowing machine tries to rid the area of shrubbery branches and leaves. Around the exterior of the high-rise hotel, there are numerous downed trees and broken branches but no broken windows.

Along I-Drive, work crews are tackling cleanup of fallen trees and branches lining the center median.

The exterior of the Orange County Convention Center, fountains still working, appears undamaged, at least along I-Drive.
    Nana to Brad, Alex, Dustin and Connor

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the update Becky, we appreciate it.
    AKA~Jody
    Off site-Dec 1984, Apr 1995, Nov 2000, Oct 2003, May 2004, Oct 2004, Dec 2006, Sept 2007, Sept/Oct 2008, Dec 2010, Nov 2012, Oct 2014, Dec 2017
    POP Centry- Dec 2004 (first stay onsite), Dec 2011
    CBR-Sept 2005, Dec 2005, Dec 2008, Sept 2009, Nov 2015
    AKL- Dec 2014
    Poly -May 2006

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: