Quantcast Tropical Storms Bonnie and Charley - Page 12

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Harriet:
    Ron based on your information could this be why guest are not being allowed back into FW dued to the fact there are a lot of trees in FW and there very well may be some damage to the cabins as well as other campsites.
    I haven't had a chance to get over to FW, but my guess is that it looked this morning much like AK did. Lots of trees down and roads/campsites covered with tree limbs and other debris. It takes a couple of days to clean all that stuff up. The cabins are probably in pretty good shape.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I just got home after spending the last two days in Orlando.
    For the first time ever I was asked to evacuate my house in Pinellas county.
    I have small kids and the thought of trying to keep them calm in a shelter was a concern, so I called around on Thursday and was able to reserve a room in Lake Buena Vista. We drove over there late Thursday (with much of the population of Tampa/St Pete with us!).
    You can imagine how we felt when the hurricane turned and was coming right at us.
    We went out for breakfast Friday morning and quickly started to hear that most everything would be closing at 3pm as everyone there prepared for the storm. They cleared out the staff at our hotel at noon, with just a couple of front desk managers left.
    We went to the Publix on Vineland and US 192 for supplies. It was a madhouse! We got what we needed and hunkered down for the night.
    I guess the building we were in was well constructed, because we did not hear a lot of wind, but watching it out the window was pretty scary. We listened to the coverage of the storm on the radio as it went through so the kids could watch TV. It was hard not to let them know we were worried. The power flickered a few times. I'm guessing that the hotel had a back up generator because power was never out for longer than a minute or so.
    I fell asleep during one of the lulls about 10pm. When I woke up at 2am, everything seemed pretty calm. I saw some small branches in the parking lot of the hotel, so I thought we had gotten off lucky.
    But as I went ventured out further this morning, I was really surprised to see all the trees that were down. Lots of billboards and highway signs, too.
    We talked to a few people that were down on vacation. None were very happy about having the storm spoil their vacation. We also ran into lots of people from our area that were relieved that the storm had turned away from our homes. It's a catch 22. We caught a break, but people who live south of us weren't so lucky. Thoughts and prayers go out to those people.
    Quite a crazy couple of days. [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    I'm so glad to be home!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for all of the updates. Hope everyone is ok, my thoughts and prayers have been with everyone throughout Florida.

[ August 15, 2004, 06:22 AM: Message edited by: Jeri Lynn ]
    Jeri Lynn

Fantasy 9/18 Dream 5/16 Fantasy 9/15 Wonder 10/14 Dream BCV ~ 12/09, BC ~9/18, 12/17 10/15 10/12 11/11 10/10 10/08, 11/07, 9/07, 11/06, 9/06, 12/05, 12/04, 9/04, 9/03, 9/02, 9/01, 12/2000, 9/99
    YC 9/16
    AKL 12/05, 9/05, 11/13
    DXL 9/98
    CBR 9/96
    DXL 5/93
    Off-site 1984, 1908

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to take so long to get back. Power did go out for a while, right after my last post, but came back in about an hour. For a while after that,wind was a bit too much for me to venture upstairs. We were much luckier than FL. DW and I went out after things died down to look around. Mostly tree branches all over the roads. Not much structural damage, although a few houses at the beach had some vinyl siding missing.

A couple of sailboats tangled up at their side-by-side mooring at our yacht basin (not as fancy as it sounds, mostly fishing boats there) and one got its mast bent in half. A few boats in outside stack storage look like they rolled over into each other.

We've been raking and cleaning. We have a lot of ancient live oaks in town, and small limbs and leaf clusters always blow everywhere in these things. Best news is the travel trailer was untouched--gotta have that for WDW trips. Funny, though, the direction the wind was blowing caused our roof vent to crank open. No water damage.

Gotta go staple some screening back. Hope everything's OK up your way, Mel.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

My roomate just called and said they our house just got power back. There's lots of downed trees and stuff in our neighborhood but he says our house and our cars were OK. Yay! That makes me feel a bit better....

Now if I could just hear from the other five bazillion people I care about....

Post Thanks / Like

We're fine, very minor compared to what you folks in FL went through. Just a lot of clean up, which my DH is just now finishing. It smells like Christmas around here as well....we've got pines everywhere, and they break apart so easily.

Continuing to think of you all in Florida.
    Melanie aka Melanears ºOº

Post Thanks / Like

Well, just got back from work at MK about an hour or so ago. Didn't even run the trains at all today due to downed trees and such. The park itself seemed to be in pretty good shape, although some awnings and other metal structures backstage suffered some damage. Didn't see any major building damage at all. Had some Animal Kingdom Cast over at MK helping us out today.

All in all, not too bad here. I know that several other areas got hit hard. Even on the way, up CR 535, we were dodging trees on a four-lane road. I know that one of the monorail beams and a train got hit from what I understand, but haven't personally seen it yet. Any Monorail Cast on here that can confirm anything?

Ron, Jeremy, and all the rest of the Cast - good job on keeping safe, and keeping the guests safe if you were needed in the parks yesterday and today. I thank y'all for helping out, and keeping the *magic* going throughout this situation.

Thanks again.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Well we have the truck packed up and will be heading down to the Cape Coral/Ft. Myers area tomorrow morning from RI. Fortunately my parents house only sustained moderate roof damage. I'm not looking forward to driving through the storm to get there. I'm glad everybody is alright for the most part.

TiggerRPh Guest

Cool

Thanks for updating us on things in Florida Ron, Jim and Ed.

Glad to hear things weren't too bad for you guys...Ken and Mel.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been in contact with a news producer in Ft. Myers. His poor fence is strewn through the yard!

It's funny that someone mentioned Ft. Myers and Charlotte County being due for this ... he said the same thing. Apparently you can only dodge so many storms before they tear up your trees.

I'm glad to hear that WDW is doing well. Also glad to hear that the Intercotee's families are ok.
    ºoº b
    - Next trip: Disneyland ... but with children this time!
    - 'Rat, schmat. Besides, they're tourists. What do they know?' - Rizzo

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Aurora:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Stitch 626:
    My aunt and uncle live in Port Charlotte, right on Charlotte Harbor, and still don't know the outcome of their home...they cannot even get down the street because of debris and floods...outlook NOT GOOD AT ALL! Most of the businesses on the main highway ther (41?) have been destroyed. They say it was just a disaster!

My cousin is in Punta Gorda...his house is now unliveable. I am SO UPSET! My heart goes out to them for losing everything.
    Your family is in my prayers. Please keep us updated. </font>[/QUOTE]Well I finally heard from my family...outlook not so good. While I am extremely happy to hear they are ok, my aunt's house along with my cousin's house are completely UNLIVEABLE! My cousin's house caved right in and his boat sunk into the canal behind him. My aunt's house is right next to the Port Charlotte Yacht Club and they found that the Club was pretty much INSIDE their house...whatever was left of their house I might add! The roof blew off and the dock, linai (sp?), gazebo and whole back of the house was demolished. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img] Tomorrow they get to go up to their condo in Englewood to see if that survived. If it did, that is where they will live for a while.

With that, I've sent much pixie dust down their way...

Glad to hear all you CM's and FL residents are OK!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'm checking in as well.
    We made out quite well, actually. The shifting of the storm took it away from us. I'm in Lake County which is 32 miles directly west of Orlando. The shifts east moved it far enough away that it was no longer a threat.
    Mears did not fare as well. None of the buses were damaged but we lost part of the roof on the office and have had no power since 8 last night. It was still out when I left tonight at 5:30.
    I'm glad to see everyone is ok, and thank you everyone for your prayers and concern [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ August 14, 2004, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Piglet822 ]

Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad to hear that all seem to be doing well. I thought about all of you all night and all day today. I am glad to hear that WDW didn't suffer too much damage. More importantly I am glad to hear that everyone is okay. I am very sad for those who were hit hard and for all of the casulaties in Florida. I am from Louisiana so I know how bad this weather can be. Good luck with all of the clean up and I hope everything gets back to normal quickly.

To all of the CM's and our Florida Intercot friends, thanks for keeping us all updated and for letting us know that you are all okay. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

our prayers are with everyone in florida that was affected by these awfull storms, just one question, are gators a concern right now, as well? or do they scatter off?

Post Thanks / Like

August 15th Hours:

Everything will open tomorrow with the exception of the following;

Typhoon Lagoon remains CLOSED
    Golf Courses remain CLOSED
    Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground remains CLOSED

The Electrical Water Pageant on the Seven Seas Lagoon will not be operational until Tuesday, August 17th.
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

INFO [img]redface.gif[/img] ON MONORAIL [img]graemlins/mixed.gif[/img] RED?
    Quote from MainStreetJim, (earlier)

"All in all, not too bad here. I know that several other areas got hit hard. Even on the way, up CR 535, we were dodging trees on a four-lane road. I know that one of the monorail beams and a train got hit from what I understand, but haven't personally seen it yet. Any Monorail Cast on here that can confirm anything?"

Maybe some answers re. monorail red here; also GREAT WDW aftermath and monorail red pictures at this Intercot site:
    http://www.intercot.com/boards/ultim...84.html#000000

Originally posted by Paul M.:
    What happened to Red? Beats me...honestly, my driver said he didn't know and the mechanics said they didn't know, and that's why they were bringing in 'tugger' or the monorail tow truck.

I honestly don't know what Red's issue is. I've heard now (including this post) 2 other times there were issues with Red. It could be a couple of things: a) has Red been transfered over to the new system...I thought not all monorails were 'digital' yet. b) new driver, did something (unlikely) c)Red's just got issues.

These things happens, but its funny how Red seems to be singled out. Sure caused a lot of wait though.

Sorry that I don't know what the issues are!

FYI Epcot line was down today too...soo don't have all the details. sorry again.
    [ August 15, 2004, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: KYmouse ]

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I am gald to hear from everyone in Florida and glad you are all OK.
    To the Cast Members keep your heads up you did some great work for the people down at WDW.

Those who had damage I hope everything goes well for you.

[img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Whew! Glad to hear everyone is ok!
    April

Remy: You gotta taste this! This is... oh, it's got this kind of... mmm, it's burny, it's melty... it's not really a smoky taste. It's kind of like a certain... Pshah! It's got like this " Ba-boom! Zap!" kind of taste. Dont you think? What would you call that flavor?
    Emile: Lightningy?

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear that you are all doing ok in the Orlando area. How frightening it must have been. The kids and I were watching on the news and were keeping you in our prayers.

Kudos to all the wonderful CM putting in all the extra effort to get WDW up and running so quickly. Hope the rest of Fl can come through as well. My heart goes out to those in the Punta Gorda and Fort Meyers area who were really hit bad!
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear that other Floridians are doing OK.

My city didn't get a lot of damage, but other parts of the county did. Some towns are going to be out of power for an estimated 2-3 weeks. Schools are out for this week, too.

I am keeping everyone in the Ft. Myers, Port Charlotte, and Arcadia areas in my prayers.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: