Quantcast 09' Healthy Living Club - Page 7

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Just curious to see if any of you have heard of this calorie shifting diet? If you have or have tried it, have you seen results? I've hit a plateau and am very discouraged by it I currently workout 5 days a week and am on a 1,600 calorie diet. Maybe I need to lower my calories? Any help would be great, thanks!
    Disney baby #1 - 03/15/14

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbella View Post
    Just curious to see if any of you have heard of this calorie shifting diet? If you have or have tried it, have you seen results? I've hit a plateau and am very discouraged by it I currently workout 5 days a week and am on a 1,600 calorie diet. Maybe I need to lower my calories? Any help would be great, thanks!
    Hi Pam,

The only thing I know about it is the little I've read online. It may provide quick results but I know you don't want to continue this long term; it's not healthy.

I recommend either lowering your calories (to a minimum of 1200 calories) or making changes in your workouts. If you do weight training, you can increase your lbs, reps, sets or all three. If you're doing cardio, you can increase your time.

Now I am no expert by any means. These are only recommendations from me based on my experience. I have no formal educational training in these issues but I hope these may help you.

Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbella View Post
    I am always sceptical of any new diet plan, so I did a little research on this diet plan. It does scare me a little. Here are the basic tenets of the plan, credit given to ezine articles dot com. Some of them are good, especially numbers one, two and four below.

1. Eat only until you are satisfied but not until you are too full.
    2. Leave a minimum gap of 2.5 to 3 hours between meals.
    3. Eat only the foods prescribed to you according to the calorie shifting meal plan at each meal.
    4. You must eat exactly 4 meals per day, no more and no less.
    5. You have a choice to eat any of the 4 meals in any order throughout the day.
    6. You must take a 3-day break from the diet on days 12 through 14 of your diet, before you may resume the diet again. This is to give your body a chance to rest from the rapid weight loss that you will be experiencing.

The one that really scares me is the last one that states you must take a three day break from the diet every fortnight. Why? A sensible nutrition plan should not poison or wreak havoc on your body. In an exercise regime, it is necessary to take breaks to allow muscles and connective tissue to regenerate and recuperate from small injuries. Any quick fix is just that, a quick fix that may lead to long-term problems. I really don't think it should be needed in a sensible, life-long nutrition plan. If you already have health issues, such as diabetes or kidney or liver disease, I really don't think this plan is good for you.

I also found this on Fit and Healthy website:

"Does a calorie shifting diet work? Yes, it does work, but there is one important caveat. Calorie shifting is not going to work if your current diet is poor. You need to find a good diet, which you can follow consistently for at least three months."

I do have to ask you, though, how much more do you want to lose? It's a rhetorical question: you don't have to answer. It is possible that your body has reached its ideal weight. I personally thought (secretly hoped) I would be at my lifeguarding weight of 165 pounds by now. Not happening. I am so much more muscular than I was way back then. My body seems happy around 190 - 195 pounds. It is also possible that your body needs to adjust to the current situation. A couple more weeks continuing as you are may lead to great gains, well, reductions in this case.

One other thing to note is that your exercise level and your calorie intake are not compatible at this time. You may find that your body needs MORE calories - not LESS - to keep up with your exercise levels. I had to do this with my program. I was actually starving and could not eat enough at one point in my program back in about February or March. I plateau'd until I started eating more. This happened again just a couple of weeks ago. At that time, my exercise level had doubled due to riding my bike back and forth to work and continuing my workout regime. I must be burning a good 1800 calories a day, just in exercise. If I was to drop my intake to 1600 calories, yes I would lose weight, but my body would not be able to recover from the workout.

Also remember that muscle weighs more than fat. You may have plateau'd due to this.

I would be extremely leary about starting a diet program that states I can lose 9 pounds in 11 days. The idea of increasing and decreasing your caloric intake a couple times a week may confuse your metabolism into fat-burning mode. I don't know for certain, but that is the thought behind it. I just don't think it is healthy.

These are my personal opinions only, and, as Genna said, I am not an expert either. I only know what works for me.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Thanks for your speedy responses guys! I don't think I want to do the whole calorie shifting thing after learning more about it. I am curious though as to whether or no I should increase my calories? I am working out 5 days a week (2 run days totalling 7 miles and 3 aerobic circuit training days with half a day of yoga on one of those) I would love to see a registered dietician but simply do not have the money for one.

Since starting my bootcamp 14 weeks ago I haven't lost one pound but I have lost a total of 11 inches of body fat. I know muscle weighs more than fat and that that is why the scale is not budging. However, I feel like I've stopped losing inches now. I have a number in my head of where I'd like to be but I'm beginning to think that realistically my body will never be that small

I think I just have not come to terms with my body yet and being comfortable in it. I'm really trying my hardest. That's why I love coming on here and reading all the positive things you guys have to say

Post Thanks / Like

Pam,

With the workouts you're doing, I'd be hesitant to lower the calories so don't take my previous advise in that area. I think garymacd is offering better advise here simply because he seems to more the workout guru than me.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the

If You Can Read This...

Post Thanks / Like

Tink.
    You know what I might try if I was in your shoes?

Take a week off. You have been pushing hard for 14 weeks. Your body needs a rest.

By this, I don't mean sit around and do nothing but eat krispy kreme's; but take it easy. Focus on light cardio, flexibility and core exercises. It might be just what you need.

When your rest week is over and you begin the heavy routine again, try adding a few hundred calories a day and see how you feel after a week. Also, try different strength routines so that you don't plateau. Different moves will work your muscles in different ways and may lead to new growth.

Did you get a body fat measurement done before you started and again recently? If not, you can find body fat calipers cheap on the internet with instructions on their use. By what you have said, it sounds like you have, and have burnt off quite a few inches and pounds of fat. Good going. This is a better measurement than weight.

A fit woman should have about 20 - 24 % body fat, men should have 14 -17 %. Elite female athletes might have 12 - 15 % and men might have 4 - 9 %. You need some fat store to assist with heat regulation and low level activity. It is unhealthy to have less than these amounts.

Disneygirl and Pam: I was looking at some of your posts and noted that you weren't too happy with results from 1000 - 1300 calorie diets. After a couple weeks of that, I think your bodies are in starve mode and are hoarding calories every chance they get.

A person weighing 150 pounds needs roughly 1500 calories a day just to allow the body to work properly and maintain that weight - and that doesn't include your daily activities, like work, looking after kids, moving around, not to mention exercise.

I hope I am not being preachy on this topic, or stepping on anyone's toes. If so, let me know and I will back off. Also, if anyone thinks I'm full of - well, you know - tell me. I am not an expert nor a personal trainer. I only know what works for me and what seems to be common sense. If your personal trainer has told you something different, listen to him or her.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all of your advice garymacd! I think I need to bump up my calories too. I've been sustaining my current calorie count 1,600 for such a long time and I should probably switch things up a bit. I find that I am, indeed, feeling hungrier than usual. I appreciate all of the advice, tips and ideas. You guys are so awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Gary, I do not find you to be preachy or full of anything other than good advice, so keep it coming -- I appreciate it, and I'm sure everyone else does, too!

I'm just switching things up a bit right now... upping the calories a bit, lowering the carbs, maintaining my excercising and seeing what happens.

I took the last 4 days off, as we had family visiting and we were celebrating my DD's b'day... and I find that if I completely deny myself during occassions like this, I just end up bingeing later on. So -- it felt good to just "let it go" over the weekend, and I found I hadn't gained anything when I jumped on the scale this morning, so that's good, too. Maybe the muscle I've begun to build burnt the calories better!!

to everyone for all the encouragement and advice... I'll take whatever I can get, and hopefully I can give some back, too!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All! I am jumping back on the wagon. I have been off it a while and gained back weight I had lost. I've started my walking today and some new exercises. I've been feeling bad & I know it's because I went from losing weight to gaining it and it put a strain on my body. My overall long term goal is to lose a 100lbs. My first mini goal is to loose 25lbs by time I go to Disney. That gives me a 2lbs a week. I am hoping if I post it here it will keep me accountable.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bethis26fan View Post
    I am hoping if I post it here it will keep me accountable.
    I think that's what we're all hoping, I know I am!! I figure if I have to come on here and say something, I want to be able to say I did something good for my body!

Good for you getting back after it... I think most of us have experienced the "slide" back into complacency, and sometimes it just takes one little thing for that light to go off, and to get us back started taking care of ourselves.

For me, it was just how I felt physically, and how my clothes began to fit... and these were clothes I loved, that I'd purchased after I'd lost weight and gotten rid of the bigger sizes.

Then, it was also our upcoming trip -- I want to wear those clothes just like I did last December, and I want to enjoy wearing them, not feel uncomfortable!!

So, you go girl -- 2 lbs a week is achievable, I think, that's where I'm at, as well -- we can do this!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question for those who workout using weights.

We have a workout room next to our clubhouse in our neighborhood. Everything I know was self taught using the internet (either good or bad/correct or wrong) and friends.

I workout 5 days a week. I try to alternate cardio with weight training (circuit training) using machines. We have 6 weight machines and 4 cardio machines in the workout room.

My favorite cardio workout takes place on the elliptical machine. I just love using that thing and the calorie count is very easy. I just punch in my weight and it figures out calories burned based on duration and resistance. I'm up to 426 calories burned for a 30min workout (YAY...this may seem like a lot to some and a little to others but it's where I am at this point).

My question is how do you figure out calories burned using weights? I have an app for my iPod that calculates the info for me but I'm just not sure how accurate it is. The app considers my height, weight and duration of workout and then gives me a calories burn count based on intensity (low, normal or high). I have no idea what intensity level I should be. I usually just say normal but am I cheating myself by not choosing high and am I being overconfident in my ability?

I usually circuit train for about 30 min. I mostly do three sets of 10 reps for most options on the machines. I am usually perspiring when I'm finished and my muscles feel week for about an hour after I'm done. In the beginning my muscles were sore most of the time but that is a rarity now.

To figure out my weight maxes for the machine I followed a guideline I found online. For some machines, the weight is the same and for others it is different.

Basically, I found the max weight I could take to 16 reps (as in, by the time you get to 16 you can barely finish). Supposedly that is your max weight and you move up from there to continually challenge yourself.

Any input would be appreciated.

TIA
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the

If You Can Read This...

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Genna, I don't have an answer for you. I think it would be too hard to give a definitive answer to your question because of all the variables: length of workout, general fitness level, amount of weight used, number of reps, to name a few. I would have to think that if you worked up as much of a sweat doing strength training as you do for a cardio, the caloric burn would be at least comparable.

I did find a calorie calculator for weight training and will PM you the link.

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I lost around 25-30 pounds on weight watcher's 2 years ago. I've been under a lot of stress in the past year and I'm a stress eater...I've put 10 pounds on. I purposely got rid of all my larger sizes so I'd have to maintain my weight. I refuse to go shopping for bigger clothes. Anyway, I've started exercising again (2 weeks ago) and I already have more energy. I'm back to watching my point intake and cooking healthier meals. I've lost 2 pounds. I'm bound and determined to get this other 8 pounds off! I've got to be able to fit into my "winter" pants. I also may be making a trip to Disney in December so that's my biggest motivator!
    I love this thread and all the encouragement that everyone offers.
    I want to wish everyone luck with staying on the healthy wagon!
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

Well, 2009 is starting to wind down and we have all been working hard to make it a healthy year. How is everyone doing? Have you met your goals? Have you struggled, not met your goals, but do you feel better about yourself? Let us all know.

Personally, I feel the best I have felt in years. I don't think I will ever be a size 32 waist again, and I will never, ever wear a Speedo again, but I am much stronger and muscular than I was a year ago.

I even got ego-ed into a charity calendar launch fashion show at work and had to strut my stuff - without a shirt on (shudder) - in front of 600 screaming women. This did include my beloved wife and two daughters. I don't think I looked as good as some of the younger guys, but for a 50+ year old guy, I don't think I looked too bad. I did shave my back for the occasion. I didn't want anyone to

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garymacd View Post
    ... I will never, ever wear a Speedo again...
    Don't feel bad about this.

I did shave my back for the occasion. I didn't want anyone to
    Nothing like a little honesty to cheer us up.

I have to admit the holidays during this time of year make it very challenging. I'm nearly at my goal. I'm still gradually increasing my cardio time and my weights so I know I'll get there. No need to make a New Year's Resolution because this is now my lifestyle I've truly grown to love.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the

If You Can Read This...

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you, Genna!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been on the boards in a while. So here's my up date. I've lost 19lbs since Sept. I managed to loose 4 durring our disney trip. It really is a magical place. lol I only gained 1 lb during the christmas holiday so I am happy with that, because i did eat junk. So there's my update. 15 more lbs & i'll be at my first big goal.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I will need to be a member of the 2010 Healthy living club!!! I am at my absolute heaviest I've ever been in my life. I am 5'3'' and since the age of 16 I've always hovered around the 125-130 mark. Well, right now I'm 24 and hovering around 155-160. I ate right for a month and lost 5 lbs to fit comfortably in a dress for a friend's wedding... but after that I went right back to old habits and then some. I not only gained back those 5lbs but ANOTHER 5 as well. It's quite depressing to wake up for work one morning and find you can't comfortably button your pants.
    I really need to stop this right now. I have a wedding in 5 months that I want to look fabulous for, and a delayed honeymoon in 6 months that will have lots of beach time so I want a hot beach bod as well! So, assuming this keeps going in the new year, I think checking in weekly with you guys will help keep me in check a little bit. Looking forward to waving bye bye to this extra poundage....
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have surgery coming up on Monday, Jan 4, so I won't be able to stick with my regular workout routine for about 6wks or so. This concerns me slightly because I don't want to loose my motivation. For me, exercise is absolutely essential so I must be vigilant with proper nutrition during this time.

Good for you, Genna!
    Thank you for the encouragement throughout the year.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the

If You Can Read This...

Post Thanks / Like

Have a Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year's Eve!

See you in 2010!

Gary

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: