Here's the thing...this ride is already a VERY loose interpretation of "The Pirate Life."

It is not meant to be taken seriously. It never was.

This bride auction scene is already basically a joke. In real life, pirates just kidnapped and assaulted women willy nilly. There was no organized auction in the town square.

This ride was always meant to be a "light hearted" look into piracy, even though we all know, as adults, how terrible it really was (and still is).

My biggest issue here is that Disney seems to be defaulting to "let's not offend anyone ever," rather than allowing parents to discuss these kinds of historical facts with their kids when the kids are old enough to notice it. Erasing everything that is offensive is not a good way to educate people going forward.

On a sort of related subject...why can't parents just let kids be innocent anymore? This seemingly bothers parents who feel that they shouldn't have to explain human trafficking to their kindergartner at WDW. Then don't! Seriously, let them ride pirates and let it go over their heads, like it did for millions of other kids. When they are adults they will figure it out and realize they enjoyed the ride as kids and had NO IDEA about any of this "dark matter." All I remember as a kid is how much I LOVED the song and how cool that fire scene looked. My kids have ridden it and I certainly haven't piped up afterwards and said, "weren't you horrified to see such violence and horrible mistreatment of women? You know that bride auction scene is a demonstration of human trafficking. How does that make you feel?"

Seriously. Kids don't know any better. And adults should know enough to just accept it for what it is...a THEME PARK RIDE, not a political commentary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk