Quantcast Poor Ol' Hoop De Doo...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Poor Ol' Hoop De Doo...

...hasn't changed a bit in years - except the price. Is everything at WDW a sacred 'classic' that can never be altered in any way?

Here's my question: Do WDW fans go back to HDDR time after time because the script is always the same or in spite of it always being the same.

I'd love to see HDDR spiffed up a bit.

We say Mary Poppins on Broadway recently. It was great to hear the songs I learned as a child with new lyrics mixed in.

When stone age men were chatting simply grunting would suffice,
    But if they heard this word they might have used it once or twice,
    I am sure Egyptian Pharohs would have grasped it in a jiff,
    The every single pyramid would bear this hieroglyph,
    Supercali...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

In all my trips, I still have yet to see Hoop de Doo. We skipped it when the kids were little, and now they are teens and don't want to see it. It's on the list for the first trip without the kids, if that ever happens. I have a feeling we'll be bringing them as adult tagalongs, but who knows. Next trip for sure! (I mean the one after this year's).
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I'm seeing it for the first time during out next trip in 18 DAYS!!! I really think, like most other WDW classics, that we get the warm fuzzies from the familiar- sure somewhere deep down we wouldn't mind an update, but when it really comes down to it, we want to preserve the classics by any means necessary! It's part of being a true WDW FANatic.
    DVC Member since June 2005
    Bay Lake Towers; Animal Kingdom Villas; Saratoga Springs
    DVC Member Cruise on the Dream 9/18-22/11
    My most magical memory of all...Engaged at Port Orleans, November 6, 2004

Post Thanks / Like

We love the HDDR and go every trip. Since that is about once a year the corny jokes and skits are still entertaining because we can't remember what exactly was said the last time we were there and the audience interaction is different every time.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't pout if they spruced up the HDDR, but I don't think it needs anything new. It is a wonderful show - so wonderful that it has a great repeatability factor. Even for those who don't like it, I guess they can "Grin and Bear it!" Yuk! Yuk!
    Wilderness Campgrounds ('77)
    Villas ('88)
    Off Site ('91)
    AK Lodge ('04)
    AS Sports ('05)
    AS Music (April '06)
    Pop (Sept. '06)
    OKW (Feb. '08)
    BCV/SSR (June '08)
    SSR (Nov. '08)
    AKV (Kidani Village)/BWV (June '09)

Post Thanks / Like

Uhmm... why change a good thing? If it works, and still draws sold out crowds, night after night, year after year, why would they change it?

Out of curiousity, and not that I necessarily think it needs updating, but how would you improve it?

Other shows at WDW have come and gone. Tarzan Rocks at AK, Hunchback at MGM, the Luau at Poly was changed not to long ago, not sure why. But, it seems to me they only change shows/attractions or replace them when the audience level starts declining.

I think the answer to your question is, people continue to go back because it's always fun and enjoyable, and the food's not too bad either. What makes it so fun and enjoyable? I think number 1 is the script. Yes, it's corny and could be considered by some to be outdated, but it works because the cast are dynamic enough to keep it working. Number 2 is that there's audience participation. When the audience participates on such a level, it's more than just watching performers, it's almost like being a part of the show.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

It's like saying "please stand clear of the doors..."
    The HDDR is reliable, not predictable!

As for Mary Poppins on Broadway, I went during previews and was horrified that it wasn't more true to the movie! Stepping back, I hope to read the books and go back to see it again. The performers were UNBELIEVABLE though, huh?
    07-08 Prem Annual Pass-logged 27 days!
    06 Off Prop- Renaissance
    06 PC
    06 Off Prop-DTD
    05 Off Prop- DTD
    05 Off Prop- Masters Inn
    04 WL
    03 Off Prop- Masters Inn
    02 College Program
    99 ASM
    96 Off Property-Magic Music Days
    94 POR (Dixiel Landings forever)

pogo Guest

We are also going to see it for the first time during our trip in a couple of weeks and we 're looking forward to it.

I'll give you my opinion when I get back, but if it aint broken.... don't fix it !

Post Thanks / Like

i don't mind the script being somewhat the same... its like seeing a comedy movie you've seen time and time again. its still funny even after knowing whats going to happen.
    -Corey-

Excuse me? Are you lookin' at me? Did you rub my lamp? Did you wake me up? Did you bring me here? And all of a sudden you're walking out on me? I don't think so, not right now. You're getting your wishes, so sit down!

Post Thanks / Like

To me ,the beauty of WDW is the endearing nature of it's classic attractions. Hoop-de-doo is one of those classics. You can come back and enjoy it just like one of your favorite movies. And for the people who have never seen them ,the first time is a joy to behold.

If it was up to old fuddy -duddy me ,I wouldn't change 90 % of the stuff that lies within the borders of Walt Disney World. And 5% of those things that I would change , involves things that Disney tinkered with and messed up , which I'd like to see brought back in it's original form ( Journey into Imagination or Enchanted Tiki Birds , anyone ? How about the re-birth of River Country ? Starting over with Sounds Dangerous and Stitch ? Restoring Main Street U.S.A. to include Penny Arcade ,Main Street Cinema , Walt Disney Story ,the magic shop ,etc. ). Rant over.

" Everybody's got a laughin' place "

Steve

Trips to Walt Disney World : many !

Post Thanks / Like

My family goes to the HDDR about once every 2 years...
    Not sure if we fall into the "because of" or "in spite of" category.

However, we absolutely love this show!!!

My kids sing "Hoop Dee Doo, Hoop Dee Doo," for days afterwards - in fact weeks and months afterwards! Just today, DD (6 years old) was doing her rendition of "Old Clementine" (or was it "Old Frankenstein?" ).

Disney has done remarkable work over the course of their tenure in Florida. The HDDR is one of their best achievements. For a place that is not easily accessible, doesn't have the best food, and is laced with jokes that were funny back in the 1930's, the Pioneer Players at Ft. Wilderness are doing something right; they do pack 'em in, night after night!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

While reading this I got to thinking......

The show is really not the same every time.... Yes, the base show is but they interact with the guest and that is different every time.... So that is why we go back........

So yes it is the same only different....... I like that statement......

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SgtTigger View Post

This is a very fitting statement for you

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SgtTigger View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet822 View Post
    This is a very fitting statement for you

Thank you very much I thought that one up my self...........

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

TiggerRPh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    ...hasn't changed a bit in years - except the price. Is everything at WDW a sacred 'classic' that can never be altered in any way?
    The fact that the show doesn't change really doesn't bother us....we just love the show and go every time we go to WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

As someone who's never gone to HDDR, but is curious, I noticed the food doesn't get high marks. What is it like? Thanks!
    Nov 1973 - OS
    Apr 1982 - OS
    Jan 2001 - ASM
    Dec 2001 - ASSp
    Jan 2002 - CBR
    Jan 2003 - CBR
    Dec 2003 - AKL
    Jan 2005 - CBR
    Jan 2006 - CBR/AKL
    Dec 2006 - CBR/OS/POFQ
    Oct 2007 - ASSp/CBR
    Jan 2009 - CBR/AKL
    Jan 2010 - POR/AKL
    Jan 2012 - CBR
    Jan 2013 - CBR
    Feb 2015 - GF
    Feb 2016 - GF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey 101 View Post
    As someone who's never gone to HDDR, but is curious, I noticed the food doesn't get high marks. What is it like? Thanks!
    Food is served in "buckets" family style. Everything is on pewter type of platters (plates, buckets, etc).
    Food is bread & salad (drenched in dressing!), fried chicken (good if you like fried chicken), ribs (not the best we've had by a long shot), corn on the cob (mediocre), and beans. Dessert is Strawberry Shortcake which again, is far from the best we've ever had.
    The food is served in abundance and they'll bring you as much as you'd like.
    The thing is, most don't go for the food - sure you expect to get fed with a decent meal (and you do), but you really go for the show.

Oh yeah, drinks are included - including draft beer, wine, sangria, soft drinks, coffee, & tea.

Post Thanks / Like

They altered "Diamond Horshoe Revue", didn't they?
    Last edited by cgriff; 04-06-2007 at 08:55 AM. Reason: to increase the sarcasm quotient

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    Some things are sacred and just shouldn't be messed with... Does anyone remember the New Coke?

Having said that we go back every year because we enjoy it - the show is good and each time it's a little different thanks to the interaction. It's the same reason we go back to WDW every year. It may be pretty much the same every time, but we know we like it, the classics bring back memories and there are enough new interactions that spice it up a bit!
    All it takes is faith and trust and a little pixie dust!
    Poly 72-78 LBV Fairway Villas 79-84
    Palace 85
    ? - 86-89 Off Site 93
    CS 99 LBV Hilton 02
    DVC Vero Beach 03
    POR 10/04 & 12/04
    ASMu 5/05
    DL Hotel 8/05
    CBR Sept/Oct 05 Poly 12/05
    POR/WL/AKL 9/06
    BC 12/06
    POR 10/07&DCL 11/07

Post Thanks / Like

Okay. I've been to disney over 30 times and have not done this? Where is it at..and what the price? Maybe something new to check up on my one day trip before our Disney Cruise. Thanks !

Past Trips
    December 14-16, 2009- 25th Birthday WL
    May 15-20 - Gracie's Disney
    May 2, 2009 - 7 Night DCL Western
    Oct 30, 2008- DCL 3 nights
    April 27- Sports
    DCL April 28th 7 Night Eastern Carribean
    May 22-All Star Movie
    March 4th- 4 Night DCL
    Jan 31-Feb 2 - AKL
    30+ !

Share This Thread On Social Media: