Quantcast Adding names to deed for real estate

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Adding names to deed for real estate

My husband's mom is almost 90. She is experiencing memory loss. We are checking about putting her sons' names on her real estate. This is because of things she is starting to do, like sign her name where she should not, etc. Do any of you have experience with this. They are afraid she would sign over her property and not intend to. Is it best to get their names added to the real estate? Thanks for any information or experience with this.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It probably is a good idea. Does she have anything in place now such as Power of Attorney? That may be a good idea to set up as well, in case she is unable to make decisions. I would contact an attorney to advise. It's definitely scary- you don't want to see her put herself into a bad situation. There are so many people out there looking to scam these days, and sadly seniors are often targeted.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I had my grandmother interdicted in 02. She was taken advantage of by several ppl who were taking advantage of the fact that she was losing her memory. There are many good reasons why you should start working on things now from taxes to protecting her interests and the estate. After my grandmother was interdicted we found she was paying an attorney 40K a year to basically get her mail. If you have any questions I can try to help with some tips on mental health. I'm not sure how the laws vary from state to state but I can tell you some signs to look for but it seems that you are already noticing some difficulty. You have to remember that you are doing it to protect her too.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

I would definately recommend getting someone else's name on the deed, on her checking and savings accounts, taking as many credit cards away as possible (or at least get lower limits on what she can charge), and getting a Power of Attorney (very important - especially in medical decisions). It's sad how people will take advantage of our elderly especially when the dementia starts to set in and they are able to take care of themselves but not protect themselves against scams. Contact an attorney ASAP and get the ball rolling to get her protected!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    I would contact an attorney to advise.
    I don't believe there is any better advice than this.

Quote Originally Posted by MsMin View Post
    After my grandmother was interdicted we found she was paying an attorney 40K a year to basically get her mail.
    OK, maybe I'm wrong.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

A better idea would be to put the property in the name of a revocable trust with a trustee should she become incapacitated. Adding her sons' names to the property could have large tax repercussions. Definitely consult with a real estate attorney before doing the quit claim deed!
    Amy

10/14 French Quarter
    5/12 Coronado Springs
    5/10 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    12/08All Star Sports
    5/07 All Star Sports
    5/06 Pop Century
    1/05 All Star Movies
    2/03 All Star Sports
    3 times before this millenium!!
    Next up: 9/16 Caribbean Beach!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My DH did this recently with his father, I will ask him about it
    Last edited by mrsgaribaldi; 04-11-2007 at 06:54 AM. Reason: spelling

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

You would need her permission to add anyone to her deed and as someone said, there could be serious tax repercussions.

Find a good general practice or elderlaw attorney and ask lots of questions.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Protecting parents

When my Mom's health started failing (COPD and emphysema) she was still sharp enough to do her own negotiating. She had everything put into a living trust. She worked with her family lawyer, a bank trust officer, and independent financial counselor that she trusted to do this and keep everything on the up-and-up and to her advantage.

When her illnesses got the better of her and she couldn't manage her own affairs, we just had all of her bills and checks sent to the trust officer (well, his secretary) and they took care of everything. Once a month, they would generate a report that my brother and I and Mom's attorney would receive and approve. It worked for us.

After she passed away, the bank and independent counselor were named co-executors, and they've taken care of everything. My brother and I were glad of that, because closing an estate, even a simple one, looks extremely complicated and we would probably screw it up due to sheer ignorance.

First step, check with a lawyer. Some of them specialize in estate planning and wealth management, so if your family lawyer doesn't do this kind of work, maybe s/he can refer you to someone who does. Also, your local bar association ought to have a referral service.

Good luck. PM me with questions if you like.

Stitchfan.
    "Vocatus atque non vocatus Deus aderit.". . .

Post Thanks / Like

Very good advice, Stitchfan.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: