Quantcast "Lovebugs" at the Resorts!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Lovebugs" at the Resorts!

Last September when we were at Disney we encountered what they call "lovebugs". These flying insects join together in mid air to mate. Yes, it sounds funny but they were everywhere! We were there in mid September. We are going back 9/21 - 9/30 this year and was wondering if anyone can give me an idea if we will be encountering them again. Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Yes, you will.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oh Great!

Oh great! Last year my son was deathly afraid of the two headed bugs! lol! This year we may need to explain, oh joy this should be fun!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid that the previous poster is correct. You will see lovebugs. May and September are the big months for these guys. Having said that, however, all seasons are not created equal. Some years they are horrendous and others you barely notice them. It varies from place to place in Florida. From the trip reports I read last September they seemed especially bad in the Orlando area, but in SW Florida they were pretty mild, and the reverse has happened in other years. So there's hope that it won't be too bad.

Just remember that they are completely harmless. They don't bite or sting or even buzz in your ears, but they do leave a nasty paint-eating residue on cars so if you're driving I would recommend washing your car ASAP.
    Tracy

*** All it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of pixie dust ***

Numerous family trips in the 70's and 80's growing up
    Introduced DH to the magic in '92 and we can't get enough...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazeedizneefinatic View Post
    Oh great! Last year my son was deathly afraid of the two headed bugs! lol!
    My daughter was too. She went crazy every time one landed on her. We tried to explain that they would not hurt her, she was not hearing that. I swear people were probably wondering what the heck we were doing to her!!

We were there 9/12-9/23. We will be there the 14th-22nd of Sept this year. We have seen them in years past, never as bad as last year. I was even flipping about them by the end of the trip!!

Fingers crossed they are no where near as bad this year.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like last year was a very heavy year for these insects. We've been there a number of times during love bug season and, for the most part, only occasionally saw them around the grounds of Disney. Hopefully, this year will be more like that!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Ironic, isn't it? May and September are both months with LoveBugs, and are both months we will be traveling to Walt Disney World this year. At least they're not harmless and we won't be driving. Hope they're not as bad this year, I remember all the horror stories in the trip reports last September.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes in droves. We were there too. Yuck they were everywhere. DH found them under his hat and I don't even want to tell you where I found them! Then we went to Disney's Vero Beach and there were even more over there if you can believe it.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

We were there last year at that time also and it seemed that those lovebugs were in abundance, it was the worst I have ever seen them in all of my September trips.

Hopefully this year they won't be so plentiful, but, after last year there could be a bug baby boom!
    Jeri Lynn

Fantasy 9/18 Dream 5/16 Fantasy 9/15 Wonder 10/14 Dream BCV ~ 12/09, BC ~9/18, 12/17 10/15 10/12 11/11 10/10 10/08, 11/07, 9/07, 11/06, 9/06, 12/05, 12/04, 9/04, 9/03, 9/02, 9/01, 12/2000, 9/99
    YC 9/16
    AKL 12/05, 9/05, 11/13
    DXL 9/98
    CBR 9/96
    DXL 5/93
    Off-site 1984, 1908

Post Thanks / Like

all reports point to last year being crazy with lovebugs!! WHEW!

We went in 2004 and I hadn't read anything about them...and never remember seeing any. But we came between two hurricanes, so I wonder if they were all blown away or something??

Post Thanks / Like

Ew. I hate bugs SO much that I won't even consider another trip in either May or September. I don't care that they are "harmless". I can't stand when insects invade my personal space. I freak out...I can't help it.

I would even forgo the free dining plan and stay away in September, I hate them that much...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Well great. DD3 will have a total meltdown if one lands on her! Maybe we should get a bug collecting kit this summer and work on liking bugs, aren't they cool?

We were there mid September 05 and did not see one lovebug. There was a hurricane stalled of the coast the entire time. Weather was cloudy, cool, only rained once. Wow it was GREAT!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeri Lynn View Post
    Hopefully this year they won't be so plentiful, but, after last year there could be a bug baby boom!
    Hmm, I'm hoping not! I have 4 'non bug-lovin' DDs, not to mention the fact that I'm not all that thrilled when they get too close. DH cracks up at me whenever I think I have a bug on my head - I guess I can get a little wiggy myself!
    Christie

September 2007 - Pop Century

September 2009 - ASMu

September 17-24, 2011 - Off Property
    October 2014 - ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RPHX2NC View Post
    Well great. DD3 will have a total meltdown if one lands on her! Maybe we should get a bug collecting kit this summer and work on liking bugs, aren't they cool?
    Just hope it doesn't backfire and you end with a room full of cool bugs
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Last year was our first encounter with the love bugs and I wouldn't have known what they were if it weren't for the folks on here talking about them. That said, it's funny that occasionally one of my DS will say the only thing they didn't like about the trip was the love bugs. I'm glad to hear that last year was a big year for them and maybe the trip we're 'planning' for '08 won't be so bad. Of course, I'd rather deal with the bugs than a hurricane.
    Kim
    1st Trip - 1986 - Howard Johnsons in DTD for our honeymoon
    2nd Trip - Sept, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge for our anniversary w/2 sons 7 & 9
    3rd Trip - Sept, 2008 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Just for reference, I was there Sept 25-29, 2005. Just two weeks after one poster encountered "no love bugs".

You never know with those things, but their mating season is May and September. EVERY year.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

We were there last year from 9/17 - 9/23 and they were everywhere.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because they didn't seem to bother my kids at all, 3 1/2 and 21 months.

But it drove my DH and I nuts. I know they are harmless and bugs usually don't bother me, but it was impossible to get away from these things.

Here's to hoping this year is better.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

With how prevalent "lovebugs" are at WDW and with how often they're discussed on Intercot, I'm just surprised that there's no "smilie" to represent them. A or a just doesn't give them justice!

Post Thanks / Like

I was there in September '06, too (from the 9th through the 23rd). It was absolutely disgusting - lovebugs and/or lovebug guts EVERYWHERE!!!! You couldn't walk with your mouth open and you had to watch where you sat - UGH! (I cannot stand bugs of any variety, in case you couldn't tell).

We had a beautiful savannah view room at AKL and couldn't go out on the balcony to really enjoy it.....

I've been down in May and Sept. other years before (most recently in '05) and don't ever remember seeing them that bad - several CM's said that last year was a particularly heavy infestation.....

They gravitate to light colors, so wear them at your own risk (they do stain)!
    All it takes is faith and trust and a little pixie dust!
    Poly 72-78 LBV Fairway Villas 79-84
    Palace 85
    ? - 86-89 Off Site 93
    CS 99 LBV Hilton 02
    DVC Vero Beach 03
    POR 10/04 & 12/04
    ASMu 5/05
    DL Hotel 8/05
    CBR Sept/Oct 05 Poly 12/05
    POR/WL/AKL 9/06
    BC 12/06
    POR 10/07&DCL 11/07

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they were everywhere last September. Our resort (Poly) sprayed, so there were dead ones all over our balcony and the boats we rented. My friend stayed at ASMo and said they covered the resort and she was so grossed out. They get worse in the afternoon. And of course I'm going in May, so I might get to see them again in just a couple short weeks!

Is it just me, or does anyone else get irritated by that oh-so-cute Love Bugs name? They are NOT cute, they are icky.

Having said that, I am still going back in September, so I guess they weren't that bad! I'll deal with some harmless bugs to get low crowds. And at least this year youngest DD is old enough to swat them away from her, last year we had to make sure none went in her mouth!
    Upcoming trips:

Universal (1st time)
    September 5-8 Portofino Bay
    September 8-15 Poly GV Concierge
    MNSSHP

Oct 10-13 GF
    Nov 16-19 Contemporary 14th Floor

We've stayed at:
    Poly (Concierge),POR,POFQ,Pop WL (Concierge),AKL, Yacht Club (Concierge)
    Boardwalk Inn (Concierge)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: