Quantcast Are you an Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway fan? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway?

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • I LOVE it!

34 14.11%
  • Not crazy about it but it's Classic Disney. Keep it!

75 31.12%
  • Replace it with something new and exciting!

132 54.77%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that my children are grown, I don't have to pretend to like it anymore.
    "I'm so hungry! I sure hope those Princesses' can cook!" my DD before our breakfast at CRT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Peter Pan would be dissapointed in you!

I can remember 30 years ago when I first went to the Magic Kingdon and I saw those cars! AWSOME! I wanted to stay all day. My kids love it! Kids are the heart of the Magic Kindgom. Watch a childs face when they get to drive a car.
    Gorsh I love this place

September 2007 Grand Floridian "Horray"
    2006 All Star Sports
    2005 All Star Music
    2004 Pop Centuary
    2002 All Star Music
    2000 All Star Sports
    1994 Poly
    1985,83,82,80,79 We always stayed at Howard Johnsons as a kid.

Bear Lee Guest

As a kid I always loved "driving" the cars. Now as a parent, my 2 boys enjoy it even more than I did!

Post Thanks / Like

While driving and old, slow, car doesn't sound fun to me, kids love to be grownups and driving a car is an important part of being a grown up. I think that it could go under a major refurbishment to be greatly improved, but i don't think it should be taken out. I can see people's emotional attachment to the current theme, but I think a Cars theme would be great on it (and make my little boy even more excited about it!).

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think most people want to get rid of the ride just update it using the theme from the "Cars" movie. It would be much more fun and kids would love it more if they use the Cars movie characters as the cars you drive. Wouldn't it be fun to drive Tow Mater, lighting McQueen and all the others. Even recreate Radiator Springs to drive through and maybe a field where you could have the Tractors and have some of them tip up when you drive by them, like when they do the Tractor tipping in the movie.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind the actual ride, but can't get near it to ride! Those fumes are ! If they could change the cars to something less asthma attach inducing, it would be ok, but as it stands now, I avoid the area at all costs!

(OHH!! My first post with my custom avatar!!! Thanks Beth!)
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

It is a classic. Look up at where I live so I am biased. Honestly, I do not ride it every trip though.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

THough I personally don't care for this ride due to the long lines and lack of excitement I'm sure most 3-10 yr olds do.

I would hate to see WDW shut this down because that would mean all of the people who are standing in this line for an hour would end up being in lines of rides I actually want ot go on.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flying carpet View Post
    Peter Pan would be dissapointed in you!

I can remember 30 years ago when I first went to the Magic Kingdon and I saw those cars! AWSOME! I wanted to stay all day. My kids love it! Kids are the heart of the Magic Kindgom. Watch a childs face when they get to drive a car.
    Well put! I think I was looking at it through an adult’s eyes.

I think I should have added one more option in the poll. I should have also asked who thought that Indy just needs a MAJOR overhaul.

As a few of you folks said, electric cars would be a step in the right direction. If the cars ran on electrical power and were electronically controlled, they could electronically make them sound like real race cars rather than lawn mowers. They wouldn’t smell like gasoline and engine fumes. They could have sensors on them to keep them on the track and keep them from ramming the car in front of them. They can make them to either be driven manually or there can be some form of “auto pilot” for speed, or direction or both speed and direction for the very young ones.

They also need to improve the steering mechanism BIG TIME. On some of the cars that they have now it almost feels like the steering wheel isn’t connected to the wheels at all.

Disney would also need to find a way to keep the lines moving. Maybe they need more lanes. Or maybe they just need to utilize ALL the lanes that they have (which they rarely do).
    1130 miles from the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    ... just update it using the theme from the "Cars" movie. It would be much more fun and kids would love it more if they use the Cars movie characters as the cars you drive. Wouldn't it be fun to drive Tow Mater, lighting McQueen and all the others. Even recreate Radiator Springs...
    I agree 100%!!! I'm 26 years old and I would LOVE a Cars theme! I think it just needs to be updated, because as it is right now, it is not very different than what you would experience in other theme parks.
    Adults are only kids grown up...

March 2013 - Beach Club
    October 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    September 2009 - Contemporary
    February 2009 - Yacht Club
    April 2008 - Contemporary/Grand Floridian
    October 2007 - DLR - GC -Honeymoon trip!
    March 2007 - Poly
    February 2006 - DLR - Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I voted against it. I don't necessarily dislike it, but:

- This is one of the few attractions at WDW that is not worth the wait time it often has.
    - There's no Disney theming to it...no story.
    - Its no better than similar rides at other theme parks
    - For what is a mediocre ride, it takes up an awful lot of space. Magic Kingdom "real estate" is at a premium and this space could be used for something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I voted that it's a classic, keep it. But not so much that "It's A Classic", but more that it's a great ride for kids. I don't ride it much (if ever), but littler kids love it, at least mine did. So, I don't personally love it, and I don't think it should be gotten rid of. I think it definitely serves an audience, I'm just not part of that audience.

I guess, squeezing into a psuedo-sports car that zooms around a track at 5 mph, just doesn't compare to my own Mustang at 125 on the highway (not that I'd ever do that of course)
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

It Stinks! Literally! They needs to bring this baby into the 21st century, STAT!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

i love it!! its so a classic ride...and i will be very upset the day Disney decides to get rid of this ride...granted i havent been on it in forever..but i still love it...and i hope it stays put for many years to come..tomorrowland just wouldnt be the same without it!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

We love this ride! Our kids have grown up anticipating when they will finally be able to "drive" at Disney! Don't forget that kids are the heart of the Magic Kingdom. What's exciting to an adult is sometimes scary or even unsafe for a child. Don't take away all the kid things! Maybe Disney can create a new adult oriented park with all the thrills adults and teens feel they need and leave the Magic Kingdom for us kids!
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    I don't think most people want to get rid of the ride just update it using the theme from the "Cars" movie. It would be much more fun and kids would love it more if they use the Cars movie characters as the cars you drive. Wouldn't it be fun to drive Tow Mater, lighting McQueen and all the others. Even recreate Radiator Springs to drive through and maybe a field where you could have the Tractors and have some of them tip up when you drive by them, like when they do the Tractor tipping in the movie.
    That would be a great idea!
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes, This Tired Old Ride Stinks

While Disney wants us to keep using the same towel "Environmentality!" It runs these lawnmower engines all day. CMs who work there must stink like gasoline terribly. We got stunk up just queing and riding.

Not every thing is a sacred classic, for example, Inday Raceway isn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    While Disney wants us to keep using the same towel "Environmentality!" It runs these lawnmower engines all day. CMs who work there must stink like gasoline terribly. We got stunk up just queing and riding.

Not every thing is a sacred classic, for example, Inday Raceway isn't.
    Guess they could have CMs to push the cars around. Or maybe rickshaws.

Now, even I don't like to ride it, doesn't me it should be removed. There's a lot more to Disney than pleasing me. This ride DEFINITELY has an audience that it appeals to. A place like MK, or WDW in general, needs attractions for EVERYONE, not just me.

Could this be updated to something utilizing more current technology, or more "environmentally friendly", but what couldn't be. In the meantime, kids love it, it's a part of MK, so I would never say it should go just because I don't ride it anymore. After all, it's in Fantasyland, and the fantasy of driving if VERY REAL to those little ones.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. My kids like it, but I don't. Not very well themed.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

First attraction I ever went on, back in February of 1972 when it was the Grand Prix Raceway. I'm a race fan anyways There's a reason the lines are always long - people must like the thing! if you're hittin' it in the middle of the day, that's when the lines will be the longest. Try early in the morning or later in the evening, and the lines go way down.

What kid has never wanted to drive a car, let alone their own *race car*? Look at the smiles on the kids' - and the adults' - faces. Yeah, it's on rails. That's so no one *potentially* sideswipes or rams another driver. Yeah, it's slow, but more people can enjoy it. If it was *too fast*, then there'd be a height restriction on it, and there'd be constant lawsuits more than likely. It's one of the true "family rides" that everyone, from baby to great-grandma, can enjoy. There's not much of the "new breed" of attractions that can say that. Look at Mission: Space, Soarin', Everest, Stitch...all have a height restriction. The "height restriction" for the Speedway is to drive alone. Kids can still drive, they just need someone tall enough to ride with them.

Just wish they'd drop the "Indy car" theme and go more with a NA$CAR theme, since that's now the biggest race at Indy

There's no Disney theming to it...no story.
    Oh, yes there is! It's the "Tomorrowland Indy 500", and the Speedway is the sports and recreation arena of the "community" of Tomorrowland. Read the little placards in the queue on your way through. You can read about the history of the real Indianapolis 500, along with "out-of-this-world" drivers like Al Unserbot, Junior
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: