Quantcast Are you an Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway fan? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway?

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • I LOVE it!

34 14.11%
  • Not crazy about it but it's Classic Disney. Keep it!

75 31.12%
  • Replace it with something new and exciting!

132 54.77%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A few points to make here after reading all these posts: (Working two miles from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, yes, I am biased)
    1) People say Indy Speedway does not belong in tomorrowland. However, ethanol is used exclusively in the Indy Racing League. This is home-grown fuel and the thing of the future. Therefore, if you focus on that, it fits in quite well.
    2) NASCAR is bigger then IndyCar right now in the US, but in Indianapolis I hear the Indy 500 is still bigger. I am going to the Brickyard 400 this year and I'll see for myself.
    3) I don't know if I can stand a Cars theme.
    4) For a kid (and some adults) the speedway is an awesome attraction. I admit that I don't ride it every trip as the 1000 miles I drove to get there is enough. I still enjoy walking by though. I don't think the Magic Kingdom would be the same without it.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have local mini-golf/go cart places that are far better rides and attractions than the TIS.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't ridden this one in a while. Not worth the 20 minute + wait. Pre-driver's license this was a must. It has aged and should be updated - not really a "tomorrowland" attraction. It is a classic. Will ride with DH in May - he's never been on it.

#35 - SSR 05/16
    34 trips
    2015 SSR
    2014 GFV & CBR/ToT 10mi!
    2013 DWL & POFQ
    2012 Bdwlk & SSR
    2010, 2011 OKW
    2009 BLT & SSR
    2008 SSR & AKV
    2007 SSR 2x
    2006 SSR 2x
    '05 DVC!SSR/DCL
    '03,'04, '07 POP
    '98, '99 ASMo
    '95, '96 2x, '97, '98 ASMu
    '89-'94 Off

Southern New Jersey ( only 1024 miles away )
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a classic... In the 70's I loved it as a kid.. especially when they used to give out the driver licenses.. now my kids love it.. Granted it is outdated compared to today's modern technology.. But is COP ???.. There are several outdated rides, should we just start picking them off one by one.. Sure Indy Speedway could use a refurb. But don't retire it !!!.. Update it....
    Walt would !!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by mickey98; 04-16-2007 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling
    1973,76,78,79,81,82 Off Site
    1994,96,97- ASSP
    1996,97- CBR
    1998- DCL-MAGIC (HONEYMOON)
    1999- ASMV
    2004- DCL-WONDER
    2005- CSR
    2002,03,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13, 14 F.W.
    2008-DCL WONDER (Double Dip)
    2010 DCL WONDER
    2013 DCL DREAM
    º ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº
    Next Trip: F.W. December 2015

Post Thanks / Like

For it not being so popular there seems to be an awful long wait for it. Now that the CARS movie has been out, maybe they could re-theme it with that. A lot of kiddos would like to ride in Mater or Lightning McQueen. It still has possiblities.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

We usually try to avoid Indy Speedway. It's outdated, noisy and nauseating. I understand the thrill and excitement of the attraction from a 10yr old and younger perspective, but it's in dire need of updating.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Default Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    We usually try to avoid Indy Speedway. It's outdated, noisy and nauseating. I understand the thrill and excitement of the attraction from a 10yr old and younger perspective, but it's in dire need of updating.
    This attraction should be made into a Disney attraction with Disney theming and Disney state of the art technology.

Of course there's always a wait: Do children love driving motorized kid size cars around a track? Yes. Is Indy Speedway "outdated, noisy and nauseating"? Yes.

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVED the Indy Speedway when I rode it as a child. I am sure that many adults aren't as thrilled about it as the kids are, but I feel like Magic Kingdom is for the child in all of us. If you don't like it... just skip it. My two dd are so excited about driving their own cars. I hope they enjoy it as much as I did as a child. Retheming and updating might be nice.... but don't get rid of it
    Stephanie

DD 9.5, DD 7.5, DS 5.5

1st Trip ~ Offsite ~ Dec. 1997
    2nd Trip ~ CBR ~ Dec. 1999
    3rd Trip ~ POP ~ April 2007
    4th Trip ~ POR ~ Dec. 2009
    5th Trip ~ 12th Anniversary Trip ~ POLY ~ Dec. 16th - 24th 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TikiGoddess View Post
    PLEASE, someone do something with this ride. I rode it with my 3 yr old last year. Long wait, hot, smelly, polluting, hard to steer... 'nuff said.

TikiG
    Add my name to the list of folks who agree with you! I was amazed that OSHA wasn't shutting the ride down because of the toxic fumes and noise level. Those poor cast members!

I'm hoping Disney can Imagineer a whole new attraction for that space.

Post Thanks / Like

My DD’s love the ride . Indy Speedway is definitely a classic , but it does need an update. I agree that the fumes are horrible. They could easily change these cars over to natural gas that has better emissions. The NASCAR or Cars theme mentioned earlier is a great idea. More people in the US can relate to NASCAR more than Indy, but the opposite is true for the rest of the world.
    BKJ

Wilderness Lodge May '13
    FW Campsite Jan '13
    FW Cabins May '11
    FW Campsite Dec '10
    Offsite Nov '10
    FW Cabins May '10
    FW Cabins Dec '09
    FW Cabins May '09
    FW Campsite Dec '08
    FW Cabins May '07
    Swan Dec '06
    FW Cabins May '06
    Offsite June '99
    FW Campsite Aug '79
    Contemporary '76

Post Thanks / Like

Replace it already!
    "See, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is you'll never run out of Wishes. They're shining deep down inside of you. And that, my friends, is where the magic lives."Jiminy Cricket
    Our wish came true! Ellie 9/9/13

Post Thanks / Like

I too agree that the ride is okay, but if you're going to wait forever (as it seems the lines are always long for this) why not theme it to Cars? Everything new seems to be Pixar related, so why not change the ride. You can go-kart ride all over the US, but where else can you ride a Lightning McQueen or Mater? Just a thought.
    Last trip Jan/Feb 2011 POLY
    Next trip Jan 2012 at CSR
    32 Trips to WDW Since 1997!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have espressed my feelings about this monumental waste of space in the MK before, but to recap for this thread:

1.This ride takes up a huge amount of space.
    2. It is surpassed in quality and fun by most local amusement park go-kart tracks.
    3. My boys, who are now 14 and 11, rode the Indy Speedway when they were 9 and 6 on their fisrt visit to MK, but haven't wanted to wait in line for it since. They think it is pretty lame, the cars go too slow and you can't really steer them. And they absolutely love driving the go-karts at or local amusement park.
    4. I agree little kids love the speedway, but a similar ride for the little ones could be built, themed with "Cars", that would take up much less space. By definition, these kinds of rides are very slow loading, and combined with the fact that it is limited in appeal, I think it is a shame to use so much MK real estate for an attraction with such limited age appeal.

5. Disney could do so much better. When a Disney attraction is outdone by almost every local amusement park, which is what Walt wanted to improve on and be so much higher quality than, it is time for something better.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Everything new seems to be Pixar related, so why not change the ride.
    ...which is axactly why it should be left alone. Not every attraction *has* to have a "movie tie-in", which is what made If You Had Wings, America the Beautiful, Mission to Mars, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, the original PotC, El Rio del Tiempo, Horizons, CoP, and many other attractions so great. Pixar has taken over Tomorrowland, which, in my opinion...well, let's just say it's in bad form.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

I much prefer the Autopia at DL. It actually seems to go somewhere other than in circles. But while we were in line for it last weekend (they actually FP theirs) I said to DH, they should have Cars characters to drive - how much more interesting would it be if you could drive Mater or even Luigi through Radiator Springs?!

I've only waited in line for the Indy Speedway once. And that's almost one too many...
    Shelley, Happy DW of bear_necessity.
    DVC owners: SSR since 2007
    Remain seated please. Permenecer sentados, por favor.

Last trip: DLHotel in May
    Next trip: ?? Vero maybe...

Post Thanks / Like

Even though it is outdated, replacing a classic is just...well, wrong! How about a major update? New kind of track, new ride vehicles, maybe something with a little more Nascar theme?
    74 offsite
    76 poly
    77 pol
    80 poly
    81 golf resort
    83 poly
    84 cr
    87 golf resort
    89 CBR
    98 CBR
    01 CBR
    03 WL
    04 WL
    05 WL
    2006 WL 2010 WL

Post Thanks / Like

Default A change...

Personally I think they should update it. I would definitely give it a "CARS" upgrade. I would change the race cars to match characters from the movie. Put some animatronics in some corners, and maybe dome off a stretch of the race track and inside that dome, we would become part of a race against cars projected on the walls. Yeah, they are crazy ideas, but I'm full of them. Hope you enjoyed.

Post Thanks / Like

It has a huge footprint, and I'm with Jerry2 in believing that the real estate could be used for something better.
    ITA !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I remember going on it my first trip to WDW and enjoyed it enough but have not gone on it since. I think it a classic and should not be removed from MK. I do think that it could use some updating though. However, should they choose to remove it for something better, i would not be heart broken. ... Now touch CoP..me get
    Aubree

Disney Trips:

01/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    02/05 - Port Orleans - Riverside
    03/01- Polynesian
    11/97 - Polynesian
    11/91 - Off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    ...which is axactly why it should be left alone. Not every attraction *has* to have a "movie tie-in", which is what made If You Had Wings, America the Beautiful, Mission to Mars, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, the original PotC, El Rio del Tiempo, Horizons, CoP, and many other attractions so great. Pixar has taken over Tomorrowland, which, in my opinion...well, let's just say it's in bad form.

I agree with you 100%!

It's one of those nostalgic rides that I enjoyed as a kid and now I can watch my children enjoying it as much as I did. It's always one of the first rides they want to go to in the MK.

Click-it or ticket
    Next trip...Fall 2010.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: