Quantcast Splash Mountainless Syndrome

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Splash Mountainless Syndrome

I'm a teacher (Grade 6) and I used to be a lifeguard.

Whenever a kid returns from WDW or Disneyland, I always have the same questions. What was your favorite attraction?? and Did you ride Splash Mountain??

SOOOO many times the answer is "No, the line was like two hours so we didn't get to do it." I even got the same answer from my cousins when they went.

I just don't get it. a) First-timers don't seem to understand FastPasses that well, which is strange because they're so heavily promoted... b) Even strategies like going early or staying late seem to be misunderstood. The "ride during lunch and parade times" is even on the Park Guides... yet people still follow the crowds instinctively.

Do you know people who have a WDW vacation but end up frustrated because they have no strategy? How can it be that so many people are missing the E-Ride attractions? I can't imagine missing any of them... ever. (unless there's a refurb or that awful 'inclimate weather announcement'.
    =) Travis

WDW, multiple visits. DLR, many years ago pre-DCA. Disneyland Paris, one amazing two-day visit. Up next: Disneyland Shanghai, Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea, and Disneyland Hong Kong!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

E-Rides are gone, but I an truly understand where you are coming from. I think they call them EMH now. When it was just my DW and I, we had an easy plan of action. We insured our stays had the old E-Ride nights. That prevents us from having to go on those rides during the days. We can almost walk on all the rides at night.

It also has to do with 90% of the population being right handed. They all head towards Tomorrowland first and work toward Frontierland later.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Ya last year I was there for 3 weeks with my parents (im 15) and we almost didnt go on Splash Mountain but on the second last day we got on! Oh and I am right handed and so are my parents but we always go to Adventureland on our first visit to Magic Kingdom!

Past Trips:
    May 2000 - POFQ : 1 week
    April/May 2005 - POFQ : 2 weeks
    April/May 2006 - POFQ : 3 weeks
    December 2007 - POFQ : 17 Days
    Next Trip - May 2008 - Caribbean Beach then POFQ! : 12 Days

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand missing the big ones, either. Missing anything, really. Unless a trip is really short, there is time to do quite a bit of each park and can't-miss attraction is just that-- can't miss, even if the line is two hours long I find a way. And really, there are plenty of times when it isn't a long wait, and Fastpass is right there, too. Of course, the thrill rides aren't for everyone.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit, I'm right handed and nine times out of ten I start with Tomorrowland

However, unless the ride is closed for any reason, I get on all my favorites during a trip...multiple times
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel. When a friend of mine took her family back in Jan 06 they ended up sleeping in everyday. Getting to the parks at the peak of the day not doing much and didn't see a single fireworks show!! How can you go to WDW without seeing any fireworks????? I'd ask if they did this or that and they'd say it was too busy or crowded. All they seemed to do was sleep in and go swimming. Everytime I talk ab out going back she gets so mad because she wants to go back w/o her kids.
    Upcoming trips to DL Hojo's Oct 19-25 and Pop Cen Dec 30 09-Jan 06 10

Pop Cen, Wilderness L, Disney Wonder, Coronado Spr Mar 8-16 09
    Pop Cen Dec 13-19 08 Jan 12-18 08 Sept 15-22 07 Jan 15-21 07 Sept 28-Oct 5 06 Aug 5-12 05
    All St Music Jan 6-11 05

Post Thanks / Like

During my August 2005 trip we were unable to ride BTMR. It was closed for bad weather on several occasions and then it was not working properly on another occasion. I guess stuff happens! We had fastpasses on all three occasions what a bummer!
    Mommy to a Prince & a Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I would call myself right-handed as well being that without fault I always start with Space Mountain right when the park opens. But I usually make it around to Splash within the first hour anyway.
    WDW:
    -Fort Wilderness: 1987-2001, 2002-2006
    total - 172 days
    -Wilderness Lodge: 1995

Last: july 2006 FW
    next: May 2007 FW

Post Thanks / Like

weird about that right hand/left hand thing. we always go to adventureland first.

anyway, going to MK without riding splash mountain? unfathomable.

seriously, how CAN one go to WDW and not see fireworks? even if you avoid them on purpose? impossible. after a long trip i get downright sick of them. oh no, not MORE fireworks.

WDW doesn't require military precision (ok, maybe in july). go early or stay late, fastpass, riding at meal times and parades, etc. all it takes is a little forethought and you can get it all done and be back at your resort for the electric light parade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    E-Rides are gone, but I an truly understand where you are coming from. I think they call them EMH now. When it was just my DW and I, we had an easy plan of action. We insured our stays had the old E-Ride nights. That prevents us from having to go on those rides during the days. We can almost walk on all the rides at night.

It also has to do with 90% of the population being right handed. They all head towards Tomorrowland first and work toward Frontierland later.

The term E-rides were when the rides at Disney were designated by letters, and you purchased tickets for each category. From A-E. E rides were the best and most popular, and were more expensive to ride. When they created E-Ride Nights, they were essentially promoting a chance to ride the most popular rides in MK at night, with limited number of people. So now, when people mention E-rides... they are talking about the most popular (ie: headliners).

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with right handedness. I think a lot has to do with it that Space Mountain, made famous in DL and everyone who thinks about a Disney park, assimilates Space Mountain to it. Its the most popular, and most guidebooks say to head there first. When it comes to different lines, yeah, most people take the right.

Its really funny.. I was just thinking that every park has at least one major headliner to the right:MK has Space Mtn, MGM has RnRC and ToT, AK has Everest (I know..new ride), and Epcot has Soarin (kinda new, I know).

Most people who go don't really know what to do and really follow the crowd. Its the lemming mentality. They just do what everyone else does.

Then again, not everyone plans out their trip over 6 months ahead of time like us!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Dh, the kids and I are all right handed...We always start in Adventureland...lol.
    I guess we are the oddballs with that theory, I know a lot of people say it is true.

As for missing the big rides because of lines or not using Fast Pass,that just baffles me. I could never come home and say I missed Splash or BTMRR because of a long line. Refurb yes, line, No Way!!
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoofeyAtDisney View Post
    Oh and I am right handed and so are my parents but we always go to Adventureland on our first visit to Magic Kingdom!
    that's what me and my mom just said
    You may leave the magic, but your heart will always be there (psst. I'm bored) (P.S. probably will be until I return to my true home {DISNEY})

Post Thanks / Like

I guess everyone has different ways of taking a vacation. I am the type of person who does everything I can where my wife would rather sleep in.

For instance, last trip I did not ride Expedition Everest and I am also yet to do soarin. I did not want to wait in the long lines. I guess I just figure I'll do it next time. In terms of fireworks, I just don't enjoy them as much as others.

I love Disney and am even a DVC member, but I have found that when I don't sometimes take a step back and slow down I just get exhausted. We are taking a trip in January with the extended family and I am just going to try and go with the flow. (and maybe try to do EE and Soarin )
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald A View Post
    For instance, last trip I did not ride Expedition Everest and I am also yet to do soarin. I did not want to wait in the long lines. I guess I just figure I'll do it next time. In terms of fireworks, I just don't enjoy them as much as others.
    Did you not do them because you went to the parks late and there were no more fast passes?
    Upcoming trips:

Universal (1st time)
    September 5-8 Portofino Bay
    September 8-15 Poly GV Concierge
    MNSSHP

Oct 10-13 GF
    Nov 16-19 Contemporary 14th Floor

We've stayed at:
    Poly (Concierge),POR,POFQ,Pop WL (Concierge),AKL, Yacht Club (Concierge)
    Boardwalk Inn (Concierge)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really not surprised... I've talked to several people that work in the same place I do that have been to WDW recently. They all go with little or no planning and think that one day per park is fine during peak times. Then they come back and say that they had fun, but they didn't get to do a lot of things because it was so crowded.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceship Tigger View Post
    I'm really not surprised... I've talked to several people that work in the same place I do that have been to WDW recently. They all go with little or no planning and think that one day per park is fine during peak times. Then they come back and say that they had fun, but they didn't get to do a lot of things because it was so crowded.
    I've seen a lot of this kind of thing too, especially from my cousin-in-law. He's a DVC member and goes every year, but could care less about the rides, which really holds the rest of his family back. All he wants to do is eat.

But its a shame that people don't get to Splash Mountain. My friends ask me for advice before they go and I always tell them that Splash is a can't miss attraction. And they always agree afterwards.
    WDW:
    -Fort Wilderness: 1987-2001, 2002-2006
    total - 172 days
    -Wilderness Lodge: 1995

Last: july 2006 FW
    next: May 2007 FW

Post Thanks / Like

We were a family of eight and went at peak (Easter Week) and still amnaged to ride everything and somethings like TofT RRC and SM several times. People really need to learn how to use the fast pass it works wonderful. To help with sleep in days we had purchased enough days so that we went in early on one day and late on another. Cutting our parks more or less in half for each time we went in to do with time to go back to redo the things we liked the most. And we were able to catch every light show this way too. It also helped to make it not so rough on the old body, because we wern't rushed to get everything in, in one day. I find if you go directly to the fastpass of the ride you want to do the most first thing when you get into the park (you only need one person in charge of being the fastpass runner) it makes it so much nicer to get it all done.
    off site at brother in laws in Sanford starting 1989 until 1999
    off site at place 5min. from main gates 2000 until 2007
    Had the best trip ever April 5th - 20th 2007
    Arriving April 3,2009

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, 3,808.63 KM from the Magic Kingdom!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome_guy View Post
    you may remember us from the Epcot movie. We're the ones that ski during the day, ski during the night holding lamps, pretty much all we do is ski. Occasionally we take a break from the skiing and make it down to Florida)
    Calgary?!BOOO! Cheers from Edmonton!!!

Anyway, which Epcot video are you talking about??? How did you get into it?
    Walt was ½ Canadian!

DL, Aug 97; DL, Jul 01; DL, Aug 05; DL, Jan 06; WDW, Oct 06; DL, Dec 06; WDW, Nov 07; DL, Dec 07; DL, Jun 08; DL, Feb 09; DLP, Apr 09; DL, Sep 09; TDL, Oct 09; DL, Jun 10; WDW, Oct, 10; WDW, May, 13; WDW, Sep 14; HKDL, Sep 15, WDW, Mar 17; WDW Jan 19.

Post Thanks / Like

I think some people take the “I’m on vacation so I’m going to relax” mentality and don’t mind missing stuff. Most of the time I have fun planning out the best time to do things but I have to admit that I’ve gone there before and had that mentality. I’ll ride what I get to ride and not worry about it if I don’t.

I’ve always heard the right-hand theory and I do believe that most of the crowd heads to Tomorrowland first. For those people that always go to Adventureland, how do you do Space Mountain without waiting in a long line or getting there when fastpasses have run out? I’ve done the Adventureland first tour and it’s worked great but I only do it when I know I probably won’t be getting on Space Mountain. If Space Mountain is on my must-do list then I’ll head to Tomorrowland first with the rest of the crowd.
    ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bleukarma View Post
    For those people that always go to Adventureland, how do you do Space Mountain without waiting in a long line or getting there when fastpasses have run out?
    We go in September when the crowds are at some of their lowest.

If we miss SM that is fine with me. It is not one of my favorite's. I only go on it because my boys love it and DH will only take them on it once. There is a method to my madness..lol.

If we missed Splash Mountain, POTC or BTMRR I would probably have a fit!
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: