Quantcast A Rant About Refillable Mugs

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry A Rant About Refillable Mugs

I was just doing some spring cleaning around the house and I stumbled upon a cabinet full of refillable mugs. Now, I realize from some of the posts around Intercot that many people like to drink their morning coffee or whatnot out of them when they are home to bring about some Disney memories or whatever. Unfortunately, my sentimentality does not extend to these bulky, useless, pieces of plastic.

Seriously. The things are huge and the only reason I ever fill them up when I'm at Disney is to get my $12 worth. I have no need to drink a tub of Pepsi when I get home. Yes, I know they have made smaller sizes that can fit into a car cup holder but then you don't get your money's worth of "free" soda when you're actually at the resort. So the economical choice is the jumbo, completely useless anywhere that mouse ears are not acceptable headware, size that just lands in my cabinet the moment I unpack.

Yet there they are. Caribbean Beach Resort, Pop Century, Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, all sitting there collecting dust. I could probably build a nice little shelf to show them off on but then I would have to field questions from house guests like "why would you buy that goofy looking mug" and then I would need to explain how Disney pumps something into the air that makes you want to buy junk.

I know they are cherished souvenirs for some of you, but I suspect there is a (until now) silent minority that shakes their head in disgust every time they notice the cabinet delegated to old refillable mugs...and then makes sure to buy one within an hour of arrival on their next trip.

I don't have a solution to this problem but I certainly feel a lot better now, having made my disdain for old refillable mugs known. With this albatross off my neck, I'll drive to Home Depot a free man, and buy some material to start building shelves. That or pop in a DVD. I haven't decided yet. I know return you to your regularly scheduled message board.
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, that made my day...snort!

Mind you, those mugs have JUST enough room for my Monday morning coffee...
    Once as a kid
    Sept 1992 with hubby offsite
    May 2005 Disneyland Paris!
    Sept 2005 with hubby POP!
    Sept 2007 with hubby POP!
    Sept 2009 with hubby - AS Sports!
    Sept 2014 with hubby - POP!

Post Thanks / Like

The first time I ever went to WDW, buying a mug was a BIG deal. I agree with you regarding the problem of what to do with all those mugs you buy to save a buck or two on drinks. I finally started leaving the things behind because I had a whole cabinet full of them at home.

Perhaps Disney can create a refillable container that can be recycled at the end of the trip. I know the landfills do not need another plastic thingy.

Post Thanks / Like

Goodness, man, the alternative is to not buy them or just throw them out if you don't want them around now. It's not an issue. They're even recyclable.

If you use them daily at the resort, multiple times a day, they are a great deal. You make up the cost with ten refills or so. Surely you drink more than ten drinks at a WDW resort, making them quite the value even if you considered them disposable once your stay was over. No big deal. My only quibble was that when we stayed at the Poly, there was only one size and it held about a cup, so we kept having to go back for more refills.

But yes, they are now in my cabinet and I use them regularly to remind me of WDW.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Include me in the silent (no longer) minority. I have soooo many of these things, and I have no idea what to do with them (right now, they're in a drawer in my closet). They are great in the parks....but then again, so are fanny packs and goofy ears.

Now......work out a deal with McDonald's, and then we'll change our tune.
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

What're you guys talking about? Our resort cups get put to good use on the weekends - Convenient with the no-spill tops, too!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

For Red Randal the rest of you in the silent (no longer) minority, two suggestions:

1. Throw your old mugs out.

2. Don't buy them anymore.

There--problem solved.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Some other ideas

3. Give them away to people who will use them.

4. Sell them on Ebay
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    For Red Randal the rest of you in the silent (no longer) minority, two suggestions:

1. Throw your old mugs out.

2. Don't buy them anymore.

There--problem solved.
    My thoughts exactly.
    ºoº Joe ºoº
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

We have partially solved this problem by sharing a mug when we are at Disney World, which means we don't have nearly as many of them in the cabinets. We also like to put them in the camper for camping trips.

Now before you all get excited about us sharing a mug, I am not a heavy drinker of soft drinks(think less than 1/2 can of soft drink a day,) so the most I ever do is have a few sips. My daughter is the same way, so between the two of us we drink less than one soft drink a day. Besides, the rules don't say anyplace that you can't share.

Post Thanks / Like

I have mugs from the GF and Cont. and after buying 2 that was enough for us. It is much more convenient and cheaper for us to buy the drinks we want and keep them in our room. I get what I want and it is right there, no traveling down to the quick service place.

We go to Publix when we make our trip to the Premium Outlet Disney store and get all the juice, pop, beer, wine we want. That $12 will buy a lot of snacks there.
    Poly: 00, 03 x 2, 04, 05, 07 x 2, 09 x 2, 10, 11
    CR: 01, 02 x 2, 04, 06 x 2, 10, 11, 12
    GF: 01, 04
    F.W. Cabin: 07
    S/D: 01, 02 x 2, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09
    WL: 16
    POR: 14, 15
    DLR: 08, 13

Post Thanks / Like

Smile A Rant About Refillable Mugs

Hold on to them. Maybe they'll be valuable someday!

Post Thanks / Like

I just thought I would let you know, that while the skinny mugs LOOK smaller they are both actually the same size. Look inside your larger mugs and notice how much room is actually in them. I believe they both hold 12 oz. We were told this last time we visited and we didn't quite believe. So we tested it out, and low and behold---they are the same size!

Post Thanks / Like

We got them both trips that we were housed at the Contemporary while SOG was being re-modeled. DH would go for coffee when we first woke up, and by the time we were ready to go to a park, we got a refill. It was no big deal to stick them in our backpack, and get something again on our way back to our room in the evening.

I always liked them because they had big handles - less chance of spilling. Three drinks a day apice for a week was well worth the price. We don't have them anymore, but they served the purpose.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

We've solved our mug problem. I've kept one or two. The others I gave to my sister who has never been to Disney. She and her husband drink lots of DP.
    Life is always better when you mix in a little MOUSE
    1981 1986 1990 2000 2003 off site
    1994 1998 All Star Music,
    2002 All Star Movies,
    2004 2005x2 2012 2013 2019 POR
    2007 2012 2014 2016 2019 Pop
    2008 ASMu Suites
    2014 2017 CBR
    2015 AoA Cars
    2017 AKLx2
    2018 Grand Canyon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Some other ideas

3. Give them away to people who will use them.

4. Sell them on Ebay
    People will BUY those things on Ebay? Actually, I'm not at all surprised.

And, to everyone else who suggested not buying them: it's not an option!! I need to have the ability to drink 78 sodas for 12 bucks! And why would I just LEAVE IT in the room? Next thing you'll suggest that I don't take all of the free soaps and shampoos as souvenirs too.
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, well I actually USE my mugs. My "water" mug, as I call it (I drink water out of it all day, I just refill it about every hour), is the "free" mug I got from Blizzard Beach for not getting back the deposit on my locker ($3). It says "Summer 2001" on it, and it's slowly fading down from the top, so pretty soon, I won't remember what year it is from. However, I have been using it DAILY since then. I have no idea why this one...it's not even a resort mug and it's not even a Blizzard Beach Mug. It's actually a pretty ugly white mug with a red handle with a drawing of "old school" (think Steamboat Willie) style Mickey and Minnie swimming. I don't even really like it, but I have grown fond of it over the past 6 YEARS.

My other two mugs are being used as pen holders. One in the office, one by the phone in the kitchen.

My most recent WL mug is used when I need to take my morning coffee in the car.

So, I actually DO use all my mugs. I would never let them gather dust in a cabinet.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Luckily we only have 2 in our cabinet right now, but after January we will have 5 all together. But I think we have more of a problem with regular coffee mugs than the plastic ones. But I have this strange thing were I wont drink out of glass cups so the re-fillable mugs are great for me.

Pipi ~ 911 miles from Disney World

Next Planned Trip ~ December 2010 POR?

POP January 2004

ASMu Feburary 2005

POP January 2008

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red Randal View Post

Seriously. The things are huge and the only reason I ever fill them up when I'm at Disney is to get my $12 worth. I have no need to drink a tub of Pepsi when I get home. Yes, I know they have made smaller sizes that can fit into a car cup holder but then you don't get your money's worth of "free" soda when you're actually at the resort. So the economical choice is the jumbo...
    Actually, the car size fits more soda than the large, bulky size. You were gypped out of soda and cabinet space!
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

mttafire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Goodness, man, the alternative is to not buy them or just throw them out if you don't want them around now. It's not an issue. They're even recyclable.

If you use them daily at the resort, multiple times a day, they are a great deal. You make up the cost with ten refills or so. Surely you drink more than ten drinks at a WDW resort, making them quite the value even if you considered them disposable once your stay was over. No big deal. My only quibble was that when we stayed at the Poly, there was only one size and it held about a cup, so we kept having to go back for more refills.

But yes, they are now in my cabinet and I use them regularly to remind me of WDW.
    Agreed..Ill also add that, When we have things around the house we dont want...We throw them out..It really isnt an issue. However, I do like the mugs..GREAT VALUE!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: