Quantcast The All Time Biggest WDW Resort Question!!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The All Time Biggest WDW Resort Question!!

Here it is, the dilemma I face each trip.

Me, Mr. Disney himself would stay in a carboard box next to the dumpster outside the food court at the All Star Music resort if it guaranteed me a full week at WDW. My wife on the other hand would rather spend 3 nights at a Deluxe resort than 7 days in the previously mentioned cardboard box.

So here we are, the battle of the sexes, Husband vs. Wife in a battle to the death (of me)on where and how long to stay!

I, being Mr. Disney made the mistake of booking the POR for 7 days, (with free dining mind you) from 8/26-9/1. My wonderful wife, Mrs. Trump, said, and I quote, "I do not want to stay there, I just don't like it. I would rather stay less time at the Beach Club than more time at the POR". This coming from a woman who has stayed at the POR twice before and said it was "ok" which coming from her says something!

So I being a husband and knowing who ultimately calls the shots (because an unhappy wife on vacation makes for an unhappy husband!) changed it from 7 days at POR to 6 days at the BC for $700 more. A mere drop in the bucket for Mrs. Gates.

So please help me. Good decision to upgrade and lose a day or bad decision to lose a day but upgrade to a beautiful resort?

P.S. Anyone know a good divorce lawyer?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    mttafire Guest

Remember your THE MAN, You are in charge... Ok, now that that statement is overwith I hope my wife doesnt read this. Seriously though, I would not sacrifice even a day for a nicer resort. If we stay at Disney for a week but need to do it with less money we would NOT hesitate to stay at all star movies. The time we are there is VERY important to us. If i were you...Id try to convince my wife that the extra day is worth it. My wife on the other hand does EVERYTHING i tell her.

Post Thanks / Like

1) Procedure
    . . . club her
    . . . grab her hair
    . . . drag her back to the cave
    . . . let her know time at Disney is more important

2) Seriously, I believe it is length of time that counts.
    3) You don't spend THAT much time in the room.
    4) If you do, then stay at the Ritz Carlton.

NOTE: Mrs Rusty just came in and saw my reply. I formally recant Item #1, but stand by Items #2-#4.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Default A wife chimes in

Female perspective coming so WATCH OUT!!!! We are the opposite in our family (I'll be joining you in that cardboard box with my 2 kids!) so DH is the one who believes that the deluxe resorts are the only way to go. He is not a big Disney fan like me and the kids so if he can enjoy his vacation(and the resort atmosphere) while we enjoy the Disney-ness it seems like a fair compromise. We only get to go every 3 yrs but this way everyone enjoys. If doing as much Disney as possible is your goal, maybe go without your DW (heck it would save on airfare and park tickets too!). But if going on vacation and enjoying Disney (as much or as little) WITH your wife is what is important, bend a little. You are only losing one day.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't you need to stay at least 5 nights for the free dining? As much as I'd love to stay Wilderness Lodge, I prefer to stay the longer time. So I stay at the values instead. I'm with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jakeybake View Post
    P.S. Anyone know a good divorce lawyer?
    I'm pretty good, but I'm not licensed in Massachusetts.
    "They've done research you know...60% of the time, it works every time"

Post Thanks / Like

I know that everyone is different, but personally I would be willing to stay one day less at WDW in a resort that I knew I was going to enjoy over one that I knew I would not. To me, the resort is very important because we spend quite a bit of time there (including afternoon breaks). If the trade-off was several days at WDW lost then I would not go for the deluxe, but at only one day then I would go for it.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Since it’s only one day I say it’s worth it. She’ll be happy and I’m sure you are going to love the Beach Club. Plus you’ll make up lots of time since you can walk to Epcot and MGM and take the monorail to MK and not have to worry about buses except for Animal Kingdom. I’m sure you won’t make up a whole days worth of time, but the Beach Club is defiantly one of the more convenient resorts. If you had to lose multiple days then my answer might change but for one day…I say it’s worth it since you’re wife will be happy! And that’s the most important part!
    ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my lord, this is such an EASY Dilemma to resolve.

1. Don't drop a day from the trip from 7 to 6. Increase it from 7 to 8.

2. Tell the DW to find a way to get the additional $1400 to stay the BC.

I don't come from money and do enjoy luxuries at times. But at some point, luxury and needs tend to diverge. If your wife works, let her know what she will have to give up to get it or how much overtime she needs to work.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about saving money and staying someplace cheaper than WL, but I decided we were saving so much with free dining, that I could justify the extra expense. Maybe go to WL or AKL instead of the pricier deluxe resorts? As long as you leave enough time to do everything you want to do at the parks, I don't see why cutting a day is bad. Maybe if you say at those two resorts mentioned, you would not have to cut a day out of the vacation. Good luck.
    1977 Ft.Wilderness
    1980 Ft.Wilderness
    1987 Off Site
    1992 Off Site
    1997 Disney Institute-Honeymoon
    September 2006 PORS
    Sept 2007 Wilderness Lodge!!!!
    August 2009 POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

I think the upgrade with one less park day is worth it if it's going to make that much difference to your spouse. I think missing a park day with a happy spouse is much better then an unhappy spouse for 7 days.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention that my wife owns her own business (hair salon with 3 people who work for her) and when she said that she wanted to upgrade she said immdiately after, "And I want to pay the difference out of my salon money.". So that is all set. For me it's not about the money, it's about the days. We are one of those married couple where all of our money is the same, no separate accounts so mine is hers and hers is mine.

We are far from wealthy but $700 won't kill us, especially for the 4 of us (DS- 9, DD - 6) but just knowing on the day that I'm leaving that I would still be there the next day will give me agita (an Italian word for aggravation).

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I suppose I'm a bad one to respond to this.

The only benefit I can see to staying at a Deluxe resort, is the opportunity to unnecessarily spend more money. I don't see how I could possibly need anything more than what is offered by the moderates, and I certainly can't justify the additional expense. Frankly, I find the setting, and the overall environment at POR (or POFQ) to be much preferred to some of the Deluxes I've seen.

Luckily, my wife and I are apparently on the same level of neediness. The Value resorts are just fine with both of us, and the Moderates are nice for the occasional step up. But neither of us need the extra "fluff".

One day is not REALLY that bid a deal, and you are correct, your own potential for happiness is directly related to hers. And it sounds to me like compromise is translated to "do it my way".
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Something is wrong with this picture. Not only do you lose a very valuable day at WDW, but you also lose $700 just to say you slept in a "nicer" bed at a "nicer" resort. I agree and say to use the extra cash that "Mrs. Godrocks" has to add the extra day to the vacation.

We just stayed at POR last year and saw absolutely nothing wrong with it and I do like a champaign life. But I also have to remember that I have a beer budget so I take what I can get. But I don't let DH know I'm that easy.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jakeybake View Post

Me, Mr. Disney himself would stay in a carboard box next to the dumpster outside the food court at the All Star Music resort if it guaranteed me a full week at WDW.
    I wouldn't even need the cardboard box for the week. Seriously, I love the Disney resorts but if staying in a moderate gave me the extra day I'd take the extra day.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dear Mr. Disney...

Don't be cheap. Spend the do re me. It's vacation for cryin out loud. You cannot compare the mod with the deluxe, its not even a horserace. As for Mrs. Trump... if she gives you any more ****, make her ride "It's A Small World" till the park closes.
    Trips planned for 2016......

January..... Offfsite... Golf outing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Have your cake & eat it too!

Send the Mrs. home a day earlier and stay in your cardboard box the last day! Whatever you do, have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

I say that the trade off was a good one. I would rather enjoy a vacation where everyone can be happy rather than spend one more day in Disney. My family usually stays at Disney for six days, and we always have enough time to enjoy ourselves. As you previously mentioned you have been to Disney a number of times... realize that you will be back and one day will not matter that much. Another thing that could possibly work... what about adding a day at a value just for one night!?!?!?! The cost would be minimal... you could add it on the last day of your trip and when you buy tickets at the beach club just get an extra one. While you would have to pay for food for that one day (no free dinning plan) the extra cost would not be huge!
    SSR 07
    BC 07, 08, 09
    Grand Flo 94, 06, 07
    Poly 91 & 2006
    WL 2005, 2006, 08
    Ft. W. Cabins 93 & 2004
    P.O. Riverside 2000
    AKL 98
    AKL- Kidani village 09
    CR. 97
    Yacht Club 95
    Dixie Landings 92
    Fort Wilderness Campground 89

Post Thanks / Like

I think you made the right choice for the Beach Club. It's only one day and, as someone who is sort of a deluxe snob, if you want to stay deluxe, the moderates just don't cut it. They are perfectly nice, but they are so huge and sprawled out and motel-style set-up of the buildings is a huge turnoff. If your wife doesn't want to deal with that, she is not going to be a happy camper on your trip and that will ruin the entire trip. You will wish you could leave after day 2 if she isn't on board. If you can afford the $700 without too much trouble, I would definitely stay one less day to stay at the BC.

Post Thanks / Like

My last family trip was me, DH, DS and my Mom. We stayed at POLY and all my DH did was complain! Not enough bartenders and he had to wait for a drink! No place to drink in the MK. Wants to leave the parks dailt when HE has seen'done everything on HIS list. I wish I could say I'm kidding but I'm not. My Mom swore she'd NEVER come with us again. His attitude ruined our trip. So, for me, I would do whatever I could to not have THAT experience again.

On that note, DH informed me this past weekend that he wants a divorce. I'm trying to hold it together and find things I can hold on to so I don't fall apart. One thing that I am holding on to is that he won't ruin any future trips (like my 50th B-day celebration on Oct) and MAYBE my Mom will come after all.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: