Quantcast Ever been selected to ride something before it opens?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ever been selected to ride something before it opens?

Have you or anyone that you know ever been selected to ride or experience an attraction before it opens? i haven't but it sure would be cool. post your stories here!

AP Holder since 2015

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I've been in the right spot twice to experience attraction "soft" openings.

In January 1995, I was able to ride the "first" version of Alien Encounter at the Magic Kingdom. This was the version that Eisner rode and ordered reworked before it opened later in 1995.

In December 1998, I was able to visit the Maharajah Jungle Trek in the Animal Kingdom. It was the last day of our vacation and we were in the park early and it had just opened for visitors that month.
    Rob Hinkle
    28 Visits to the Magical Vacation Kingdom of Disney World and counting!

Next Trips -
    December 2010 - WDW - Contemporary
    January 2011 - WDW - Beach Club Resort

Jacksboro, Texas (Northwest of Dallas Fort Worth)
    Post Thanks / Like

We did !!..Mission Space ...you think is intense now...you should have been on the test runs..we rode it about 10 times back to back..each time they changed things..it was amazing...alot of people could not handle it....it was all i could do to hold it back..but i made it all 10 runs...way cool
    First trip 1981

Married at Disney's wedding pavillion 12-22-04
    DVC owners @ SSR Dec 2005
    OKW-DEC-2004-Wedding
    VERO BEACH-DEC-2004-(honeymoon)
    ASM-DEC-2005
    SSR-OCT-2006
    SSR-DEC-2007
    AKV owners Jul 08
    SSR Dec 08
    SSR June 09
    New Baby Boy arrived Aug 3 2009 !! (our first)

Post Thanks / Like

I was also among the firsts of the general public to ride Mission: Space, but I don't recall whether or not it was more intense than it is now even though some claim that the current orange version is less intense than the original version. I just happened to notice a Cast Member wearing what appeared to be a M:S costume standing out in front of the ride. I asked her about it and was told that early previews were occurring. This happened in June 2003 (the ride officially opened in October 2003), and it was such a pleasant and exciting surprise.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

This happened to me twice that I can remember. The first time which was a while ago, my family was there for Christmas. My brother and I were at EPCOT and they were having a preview for Test Track. We waited in line for what seemed forever and then right as we were about to get into the car, it broke down (they were still having a lot of problems with the ride at this point). Well we hung around for the hour it took to fix and finally rode. The second time was just this past March when me and my brother were down. I guess they were having a "soft" opening for the Monsters Inc. Comedy Club. We were just walking by and a cast-member working there asked if we wanted to go in. We of course said yes, and saw the show.
    "Six it be. Six bottles of rum." POTC

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Remember the Magic 25th anniversary parade!

We went on the Keys to the Kingdom tour, and they told us to come back the next day because it would be the very first time the 25th anniversary parade would be shown to the public. It was the first 'interactive' parade, and had the beautiful crystal palace for the princesses ("Come sway along with us!" ) The float is now part of the MVMCP parade. It was very cool to be among the first to see it!
    "You're not Mickey Mouse, you're a rat!"
    "Rat, Schmat! Besides, they're tourists! What do they know?"

Post Thanks / Like

We went on the new Finding Nemo ride at Epcot before it opened. We went to see Crush and were suprised to be riding in clam shells to get to him.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

We rode Mission Space before it opened. "soft" run. It was cool. As a mom, I was really hopeing that they pretty much had the bugs worked out of the system. DS was scared to death. It was pretty cool. There were people standing in line hopeing to get to ride it. We were just walking by. Afterwards the CM's standing outside asked the kids how they liked it and if they would ever ride it again, etc.
    2007/2008-Pop Century
    2005-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004-Port Orleans Riverside
    2003-Port Orleans Riverside
    2002-Contemporary Resort
    2001-All-Stars Movies
    2000-All-Stars Music
    1998-All-Stars Sports
    1997-Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I was able to do this twice. First on the Buzz Lightyear ride which was awesome because my DSs were so into Toy Story at that time. The second time it was Stitch's Great Escape for its soft opening. My youngest DS was pretty young at the time and there were no height restrictions determined yet. The CMs had him sit in a seat by himself and in the middle of the ride he got scared and climbed out of the seat. Luckily I was sitting next to him and was able to grab ahold of him and pull him onto my lap for the duration of the ride. Needless to say...it was his favorite ride at Disney, but my other 2 DSs loved it!
    Nobody Move! Dropped Me Brain.
    _Jack Sparrow_

All Star Music - 05/96
    All Star Sports - 10/98, 06/00, 06/01, 07/09....Can't Wait
    Pop Century - 10/04, 08/05, 07/06, 08/08 (Gustav Evacuation)
    Caribbean Beach Resort -04/08

Post Thanks / Like

Mission Space!! It definitely was tougher in the beta testing! I've since heard that the video and audio were out of sync during the time that we rode it and that is why so many of us were like
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

I know you are talking about WDW, but being a westcoaster, my experience was with Space Mountain at DL. We were there in May 1977 and they were still testing the speed. It was great! We even got bumper stickers that said "I survived Space Mountain".

I am so dating myself! I was 8 at the time, but I remember it so clearly. The next time we rode it in 1979, they had slowed it down quite a bit.
    Grim Grinning Ghosts come out to socialize.
    Nov/Dec 2001 POR-early 10th anniversary
    Oct/Nov 2002 Poly/AKL-late 10th anniversary
    Dec 2003 POR
    Nov 2007 CBR
    Oct/Nov 2008 CBR/AKL
    Nov/Dec 2019? I HOPE!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was there for the soft openings of Mission: Space. I had one ride that the video kept going in and out. It was interesting to say the least.
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

I did the soft opening of Everest! We just happened upon it to see that it was already open. What a ride! They were asking everyone who got off the ride what they thought of it.
    Jen
    S-O-UTH F-L-O-R-IDA! South Florida, South Florida, GO BULLS!!!

August 2008: Port Orleans Riverside
    July 2007: Polynesian
    Feb. 2006: Pop Century
    Before that many day trips and too many to list!!! I've been going since I was 3!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

We also got to ride Everest during the soft opening. Thanks to Intercot, I knew there was a good chance we would get to ride it. I knew they were doing the soft opening so we went to check it out, and loved it by the way!
    I Am That Hero!

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech...

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

It was Soarin' for us!!

Post Thanks / Like

Not an attraction but Epcot, the entire park. My family was staying at Fort Wilderness and they gave us all passes to preview Epcot in order to get our feedback. The "ponds" didn't even have water in them yet!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneycouple2004 View Post
    We did !!..Mission Space ...you think is intense now...you should have been on the test runs..we rode it about 10 times back to back..each time they changed things..it was amazing...alot of people could not handle it....it was all i could do to hold it back..but i made it all 10 runs...way cool
    I would have loved to test out that ride! That's one of my favorite rides. I can go on this ride numerous times without getting sick.
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Post Thanks / Like

Not a ride but my mom and I got to preview the new Behind the Seeds Tour at EPCOT a few years ago when they re-did it for FREE! It was a lot of fun, especially since The Land has always been one of my favorite things (I'm not really sure why either lol). It was cool to get to see everything going on backstage, especially since Living With The Land was down for refurbishment.
    Erin- WDW College Program Alumni and current WDW Seasonal Merchandise CM- The Art of Disney Gallery/Wonderful World of Memories/Disney Days of Christmas @ Downtown Disney Marketplace șOș

Last Trip: June 4-6, 2010 @ CBR- Pirate Room!

Next Trip: Spring Break 2011

Post Thanks / Like

We got to ride Soarin' and see Philharmagic and the Nemo Musical before they opened, during the AP Previews. I almost got to ride RnR in 1999 during a soft opening, but nobody else in the group wanted to join me
    Mark, Disney Dork & proud of it șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Well, twice for me.. Once the one time I went to WDW.. and once at Disneyland...

We got to ride Soarin at Epcot during a soft opening, it was pretty cool.. but we had already been on it Dozens of times at Disneyland Resort. But still always cool to ride a ride before its official open date.

The Other time was at Disneyworld for the Indiana Jones Ride just before it first opened. That was a lonnng time ago and I was alot younger so I dont remember it too much, beyond the fact that I loved it and it become one of my favorite rides.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Upcoming Trip: None planned at the moment.

2012 - Offsite
    2010 - CR
    2009 - CR
    2007 - CR
    2005 - CR
    Disneyland - Many Times 1985 - 2003

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: