Quantcast what was i thinking?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what was i thinking?

my friend and i were talking about disney and how when you're there the magic takes over and suddenly crazy purchases make total sense
    for example
    my dh has to dress formally for work, yet at disney he resisted almost all purchases until he found the most colorful full of every disney character tie, of course when he got home he realized it was totally inappropriate for work.
    my friend while pregnant decided she had to have a huge bright pink full length nightgown with huge minnies all over it for the hospital and then realized what she looked like in it once she got home
    we all love disney but was there anything that seemed perfectly normal once in disney that made you say 'what was i thinking?' once home?

1974 & '75 - offsite
    every other year as a child all at contemporary
    1995 - wilderness lodge
    1999 - yacht club
    2005 - beach club
    2007 - beach club villas

2012 - beach club villas!
    2013- Beach club - marathon weekend

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually experienced the same thing when I bought a million accessories for my car one year when we were there. Not that I don't have my car accessorized with Disney stuff, but it was a little overboard. I never really thought of it untill my Dh was driving my car and then I thought, geez, he's probably really embarrassed to be driving this car

I also think people who buy the goofy hat. I mean, fun at WDW, but where else? Nowhere I guess.
    Sarah

Next Trips:
    09/08 - CBR
    12/08 - BC

The Kids: Nala, Scooter, Pinto, Minnie, Daisy, Dory, and George

Post Thanks / Like

This is why you gotta bring someone who isn't as influenced by the DW magic like us.

You need someone to talk you down! It helps loads.

If I didn't have one on my last trip, I would have spent loads on silly stuff like a safari hat with mickey ears....
    Aug 2006-POFQ & MWC
    Feb 2007-DL
    Jan 2008-POP/DCL
    Sept 2009-Cont
    May 2010-POP
    May 2011-Poly/YC
    Sept 2011-Cont
    April 2012-POP
    Jan 2013- AKL
    Sept 2013- BLT/Swan
    Upcoming Trips
    April 2015- Cont/BWI

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same thing eerytime I go. I get things in the spur of the moment and then I don't want them later. So last trip what i did was buy anything that I wanted (and afford) and then just before I left I went through everything since the novelty wore off a day or two later and decided what i really wanted or didn't want. What would I actually wear at home or what would I use etc. I ended up taking back about $200 worth of stuff to the Pop Gift shop. It doesn't matter where on property you bought it as long as you have the receipt. I ended returning a framed pin set, a sweater that was way overpriced for what it was, a t-shirt of the walt and mickey magic kingdom main street in disneyland ( i didn't notice that it was sleeping beauty castle till later on that's why I took it back), pegasus plush (I later on had a friend get it for me) mickey and minnie plushes (again another friend picked them up for me on a later trip) and more small things etc. It really helps I find and this way you get what you really want and what can actually fit in your suitcases.
    Upcoming trips to DL Hojo's Oct 19-25 and Pop Cen Dec 30 09-Jan 06 10

Pop Cen, Wilderness L, Disney Wonder, Coronado Spr Mar 8-16 09
    Pop Cen Dec 13-19 08 Jan 12-18 08 Sept 15-22 07 Jan 15-21 07 Sept 28-Oct 5 06 Aug 5-12 05
    All St Music Jan 6-11 05

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I can't begin to name all of the things that I have come home with and then suffered buyer's remorse!

My worst: buying antenna balls for every single holiday/season! (My car doesn't have an antenna...it's the kind embedded in the back glass!)
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

GREAT!
    Now I know why I have been getting those strange looks when I wear my Goofy hat or Mickey ears to work. And I though the Goofy hat worked great in the winter as I did not need ear mufs.

I wore my Grumpy shirt to the surgery center this week as I felt it displayed my mood quite well.
    A dream is a wish your heart makes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cantgetenuff View Post

My worst: buying antenna balls for every single holiday/season! (My car doesn't have an antenna...it's the kind embedded in the back glass!)
    That is hilarious!!!

We always wonder what people do with all of those character hats when they get home?

We tend to look through the shops during the first week, debate everything and then the second week we make purchases that we can live with and aren't afraid to hide when we get home!

Post Thanks / Like

I chaperoned a group of teenagers and one of them bought the Sorcerer Mickey hat that lights up and he wore it everywhere that summer.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Hey dont knock the big green Goofy hat.LOL got one on my honeymoon in 2002 and had that thing on my head all week and coming home on the plane. Havent really had it on my head since then till I put it on a few weeks ago to show my kids and they just looked st me like I was crazy..
    Me and Goofy r Goofie for each other !!!!!
    first visit 1978,1981,84,88,96,97,99,2000,02(honeymoon),04,09, looking 4 the next trip in 13! o the pain of the wait!!

Post Thanks / Like

lol....the bug has bitten me in the planning phase! We are going next week and I now have 2 tank tops for me (mickey and eeyore), 2 disney couture t-shirts - tink and pluto, matching custom polos for myself, DH, DD and DS, the same for Disney hawaiian postcard wear - the boys have shirts and Becky and I have dresses - all in matching print, Becky and I have matching eeyore tiki t-shirts - there's more, but you get the idea. Oh well, a little overboard, but we may get use out of some of it when not in disney (though I doubt we'll all wear our matching stuff together - too corny when not in Disney).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Becky'sMom View Post
    lol....the bug has bitten me in the planning phase! We are going next week and I now have 2 tank tops for me (mickey and eeyore), 2 disney couture t-shirts - tink and pluto, matching custom polos for myself, DH, DD and DS, the same for Disney hawaiian postcard wear - the boys have shirts and Becky and I have dresses - all in matching print, Becky and I have matching eeyore tiki t-shirts - there's more, but you get the idea. Oh well, a little overboard, but we may get use out of some of it when not in disney (though I doubt we'll all wear our matching stuff together - too corny when not in Disney).

I did this too! Our trip is in August and my disney fiance and I have matching incredibles shirts, hook shirts and tiki mickey shirts.....I definately went overboard because most of my vacation clothes are disney related......
    "See, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is you'll never run out of Wishes. They're shining deep down inside of you. And that, my friends, is where the magic lives."Jiminy Cricket
    Our wish came true! Ellie 9/9/13

Post Thanks / Like

So far so good with rationalizing purchases. So many times I picked up a set of mickey ears, I took a picture of me in them and after seeing the pic, I set it down. I actually have the opposite problem, I don't buy the item and kick myself later for it.
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Post Thanks / Like

This sort of happened to me when I bought one of those build your own pirate hats outside of POTC. I wore it a few times while at the parks. Although wearing a pirate hat in WDW is completely normal, it's not in everyday life (although it did come in handy for Halloween).
    "Six it be. Six bottles of rum." POTC

Post Thanks / Like

Although last time we were there I didn't buy a mickey watch with a huge amount of rhinestones and here I am 2 years later and still thinking about it. Hope they still have them in January.
    May 1983 - Senior Class Trip
    July 1993 - Off Site
    July 1996 - Off Site
    June 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside
    January 2008 - Polynesian WOO HOO!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofiecrazy View Post
    Havent really had it on my head since then till I put it on a few weeks ago to show my kids and they just looked st me like I was crazy..
    Hey, anything that embarasses our children or somehow makes them question our sanity is always worth the price and effort! How else can we keep them on their toes?

Robyn
    I never look back, darling! It distracts from the now.

Post Thanks / Like

Same here. DW has bought several Mickey shirts and a hat for me and tinkerbell shirts and hat for her. DD has several Ariel and general princess clothing items awaiting her.

Lastly, DW bought the matching postcard shirt for me and the dresses for her and DD off the disney store website. LIke you, I think we will continue to wear them after our trip, but probably not at the same time.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

That is why I always stick with Christmas ornaments and candle toppers. I hate printed t-shirts and used to buy them on vacation and have them sit in a drawer for years until I give them to the goodwill. The only thing that I ever wear is my Mickey hoodie.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

One year our kids were sad because we told them that we had so take a break from WDW trips.....feeling guilty my husband shipped home the ENTIRE miniature sets & extras of MK, AK, Epcot, MGM !!! Kids loved it and now I trip over it every time I go to the basement entertaining area....only time they play with it is when I tell them I am going to donate it!!

Post Thanks / Like

I never wear short-sleeved T-shirts, but I always bought one on each trip (they're just so cute!). After cleaning out my closet last fall and feeling completely embarrassed to see all of the T-shirts with price tags on them from WDW, DL, Rome, Mackinac Island, NYC, Paris, etc. - I finally forced myself to stop.

Oh - and back in 2000, I went through a brief Piglet infatuation. We went to WDW twice that year, so by the end of the year, I was the proud owner of... three Piglet T-shirts, two magnets, several stuffed animals in different sizes, a notepad and mug to hold pens in the kitchen, a whole series of Piglet china figurines, various stickers and pins and other small collectibles.... By 2001, I was completely over the phase, but unfortunately the souvenirs lived on....
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

lol....the bug has bitten me in the planning phase!

Us, too LOL...although they don't exactly match, DD, DH and I all have POTC-themed shirts (tanks for me and DD and a T for DH) to wear to MK!

We also have our "Christi's Disney trip '07" shirts that my dad made for us in January. They'll still be appropriate in September!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: