Quantcast Walt Disney World Resort to "Green" All Resort Hotels by Earth Day 2008

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walt Disney World Resort to "Green" All Resort Hotels by Earth Day 2008

Disney the Green Standard

TC Palm
    July 12, 2007

In Florida, The Walt Disney Co. has taken the lead in greening its hotels. Two of the first four hotels to receive state certification in March 2004 were Disney resorts in Orlando.

Nearly a quarter of all Green Lodging-certified Florida hotels are Disney-owned.

Disney expects to certify all 18 of its Florida hotels by Earth Day 2008.

"The biggest piece we're missing is really making sure that cast members understand what we're doing in case guests ask," said Denise Leeming, who oversees labor and scheduling at the resort. "We need to train our cast members, making sure they can have that conversation. If we can't share the program with our guests, then we've missed half the opportunity."
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Great News Let's hope some guests take the message home with them
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

That's great!!! I just hope that more hotels take after them. I'm glad Disney took the initive.
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Post Thanks / Like

Just out of curiousity - what exactly are they doing to make the resorts green?
    Karen

2009 ~ Hopefully next trip!
    1/2006 ~Coronado Springs
    12/1999 ~Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

There are a multitude of things that they can do such as use low-flow bath fixtures, use energy efficient lighting and appliances, reuse towels and linens rather than replacing them daily, recycle and use products made from recycled materials, and install A/C units that shut off when no movement is detected in the room. Many of these things are in place already. I believe that POFQ is one of the Disney resorts that is already certified green.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

With the governor signing acts to make Florida "greener," our state is becoming more progressive every year. Disney certainly is an example. Now if we could just get those darn property taxes lowered.
    "Well slotted pig, they are standard issue."

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Remzlightyear View Post
    With the governor signing acts to make Florida "greener," our state is becoming more progressive every year. Disney certainly is an example. Now if we could just get those darn property taxes lowered.

I hate to tell you...but since I own a home in the north and one in Orange County, Fla....I can tell you that your property taxes are neither high....nor are ever to be lowered.

Think of it as the price you pay for living in the wealthiest, most advanced society in the history of Earth.

Memebership has it's privileges....and annual fees.

Though the our prop taxes in florida have expanded at a disturbingly large rate over the past several years...

But it's good to see that Fla is taken more enviro-friendly approaches....everyone will have too in the near future...might as well get ahead of the wave (literally)

lockedoutlogic Guest

The AC is an incovenience...but usually by the time people go to bed it's 62 degrees in the room at night anyway....

I hope that Disney also follows my suggestion:
    confiscate all H3, Escalade, Navigator, Expedition, and Yukons and melt them into scrap for toaster parts....
    They could put a pavilion in EPCOT showing the cars being melted down...Edu-tainment!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    Think of it as the price you pay for living in the wealthiest, most advanced society in the history of Earth.
    Have you been to Hialeah?!? Agua, Fango, y Factoria. La ciudad que progresa.

Seriously, though, the AC thing totally worries me!! We sleep with the AC on 60 degrees(or whatever is the lowest setting, I just hold down the DOWN button til it stops.) The minute it turns off, it gets unbearably hot in the room. Since I HAVE TO sleep with a fan on at home and they do not have fans, then I need the AC to run all night. Maybe they could put fans in all the rooms. We can't sleep if it's not cold. It would be uncomfortable to arrive into a stuffy room, but they tend to cool down pretty quickly, so I am not so worried about that or the other things.
    "It's called a salute to all nations but MOSTLY America"

Been to WDW so many times, I've lost count

Visited Disneyland Paris in May 2002

Disneyland & Cali Adventure in June 2007

Hope to someday make it to Japan, China, and back to Paris for Disney Studios!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    There are a multitude of things that they can do such as use low-flow bath fixtures, use energy efficient lighting and appliances, reuse towels and linens rather than replacing them daily, recycle and use products made from recycled materials, and install A/C units that shut off when no movement is detected in the room. Many of these things are in place already. I believe that POFQ is one of the Disney resorts that is already certified green.

I totally agree!!!!!
    And they can always use organically made linens/towels and even uniforms.
    I wonder as well if that means they will or already do use organic/biodegradable cleaning supplies as well and energy efficent washers/dryers?
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

I think that we have strayed a bit off topic. The original post does not specifically address AC. It is mentioned as part of a list of great ideas here:
    Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    There are a multitude of things that they can do such as use low-flow bath fixtures, use energy efficient lighting and appliances, reuse towels and linens rather than replacing them daily, recycle and use products made from recycled materials, and install A/C units that shut off when no movement is detected in the room. Many of these things are in place already.
    I think an overall effort on many fronts would indeed have an impact. As has been said, we are talking about thousands of rooms. The Swan has the AC sensors, and if it wasn't that I joined DVC I would still be staying there, and I love my AC.

I guess we DVC members are a little green with the towel situation.
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

[quote=kakn7294;1354554]There are a multitude of things that they can do such as use low-flow bath fixtures, use energy efficient lighting and appliances, reuse towels and linens rather than replacing them daily, ...quote]
    At home we try to do some things the "green" way. We recycle, I traded my SUV for a compact car, and we reuse towels (this one drives my mom crazy! - Sorry mom). Anyway, every time we are at Disney we leave our towels where they say to leave them if we want to reuse them and EVERY time we come back to new sets of towels. I was just curious if this has happened to anyone else?
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Towels and shower

First, this whole thing is grandstanding by Disney. The added benefit is the $$$ for them.

Second - my last two stays at the Polynesian.

Both times I asked for the low pressure shower heads to be changed. I have done this at other hotels and they do it, no questions asked. They all seem to have regular shower heads available for the customers that request them. At the Poly, no luck. Both times, the service guy would come and put another low pressure shower head in. So, it's 25 minutes in the shower instead of 10. My daughter has long thick hair and by the end of a week we've just about had it with Disney over this issue alone.

Also, they have motion sensors in the bathrooms. These devices turn off the bathroom fan after 5 or 10 minutes of not detecting any motion. So, the result is that the combination of low pressure shower head and a fan that turns off while you're taking a longer shower to make up for it, is a totally steamed up bathroom. I actually would call my wife in to walk around the bathroom and trigger the fan (if she wasn't sleeping). For the times that I was alone or when everyone else was sleeping, I devised a technique where I throw a balled up wet washcloth right under the sensor (going thump on the wall) to trigger the fan on. On the last trip, I called for a technician and he changed the fan unit and it still did the same thing. I tried explaining what my issue was but he didn't understand English (apparently). So I gave up.

Towels. I demand clean ones every day. Extra towels too. The thought of reusing a towel grosses me out. Nobody is that clean and everyone loses skin cells when drying off. I usually tip an extra $10 per day just to make sure I have plenty of towels and clean linen, wherever I travel.

Oh yes, the linen. I always ask that it be changed every day. I put a small x in the corner of the sheet so that I can tell if they change them. Disney runs about 75%, most other hotels are closer to 100%.

I don't like what they're doing with the a/c either, but give me a high pressure, hot shower, clean towels and clean bed sheets and I'll deal with the a/c, I guess.

This is just too much aggaravation for a $325/night room, isn't it? Now they're announcing that they are going to make it worse. Ugh.
    1981 Off., 1983 Off., 1986 & 1988 Dixie Landings, 1991 Carribean Beach, 1991 Yacht & Beach Club, 1992 Coronado Springs, 1994 Contemporary, 1998 Grand FL, 2000 Grand FL, 2001 Poly, 2002 Poly (April & Sept.), 2004 Poly & Wonder, 2005 Grand Floridian, 2006 Poly (July), 2006 Poly (Nov)

Post Thanks / Like

Walt Disney was always promoting responsible use of our resources, and protecting the environment.

Good for Walt Disney World to continue to promote this.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

This is fantastic news! Great to hear!
    1986 & 1990 - off-site
    1988 - Dixie Landings
    1995 - Euro Disney - Hotel New York
    2001 - CBR
    2008 - POP
    March & May 2016 - POP
    July 2016 - CSR
    Sept 2016 - CSR
    Nov 2016 - POFQ & WL
    March 2017 - POR
    May 2017 - POR
    Upcoming trip: Nov 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Great news!
    1990-Polynesian, 1998-All-Star Music, 2002-Off Property , 2003-All Star Music, 2007- Pop Century (twice) , 2008-Old Key West, 2008-Off Property, 2009-POFQ,2010-off property, 2011 - POFQ
    Next Up . . . . November 23-30, 2013- Off Property at the Star Island Resort.

Post Thanks / Like

As hot as Florida is, I am not liking the idea of the A/C turning off!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by LauraleeH View Post
    As hot as Florida is, I am not liking the idea of the A/C turning off!!!
    Not to be so gauche as to be "un-green", but I agree with you.

Mess with anything, but the AC. They've already put a restriction on how cool you make your room. The LAST thing I want is to come back after a hot, sweaty day in the parks to a hotel room with no AC on.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Toasty ?!?

I'm all for green but. . ..well, I have to admit I'm with the A/C panicked crowd. I don't relish the idea of having to do jumping jacks, at midnite, in a hot room to keep it running so it'll cool down, after being in the parks all day. Especially, if I am paying moderate prices to be there.
    May be they can look into timers on the A/C so if you know you'll be back at the end of the night - you can just set the A/C to turn on a half hour before you get in and off again in the morning. Kinda like the ones you have at home, just with a daily set program??

What cha think, Renovationeers???
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not too worried about waking up hot in the middle of the night because I usually get really cold when I'm sleeping and end up turning the a/c off anyway. I'm more concerned with the temperature when I get back from the parks.

I could understand them turning the a/c DOWN when there is no motion sensed. I don't need the room constantly at 60 when I'm not even in it. But maybe they can set it to make sure the temperature never gets above, say, 74 (unless, of course, you set it to) when there is no motion sensed. It won't take that long to cool off a room at that temperature.

I like the idea of the timers. Maybe they can deactivate the sensors between, say, 11pm and 7am when they assume people are going to be in the room.
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent