Quantcast Walt Disney World Resort to "Green" All Resort Hotels by Earth Day 2008 - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Please Please Please tell me some of these things are already in place... our shower water pressure has been terrible on our last two trips and we did have problems with the AC turning itself off for a bit in the middle of the night and waking up sweaty etc. or the room not being at the right temp when we came back. It wasn't completely unbearable but I would hope that it doesn't get worse. I wish they would let you put a timer on the AC. I use this at my house when I know I'll be out for 6 hours so I can come back to a cool room. As for towels we do reuse ours already and we would recycle if a can was provided.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ac

We stayed at the Contemporary last August and I remember the AC turning on the minute we walked in the room so I'm pretty sure it was off when we were out. The AC also turned off the minute we opened the balcony door so I think the Contemporary has already implemented the changes mentioned. We were never hot at night there or when we got back from the parks. I do agree that the low powered showers are awful - especially if you have long hair!!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! I love coming back to a hot hotel room and then not being able to take a decent shower.

Seriously, though, last time the ceiling fan in our room at the Beach Club worked so well that we hardly even used the a/c, and it was in the 80's every day.

I have to think, though, that the a/c in hotel rooms uses a lot less power than all the rides and attractions. They should work on making THEM more eco-friendly if they really want to "go green."
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Toasty ?!?

I'm all for green but. . ..well, I have to admit I'm with the A/C panicked crowd. I don't relish the idea of having to do jumping jacks, at midnite, in a hot room to keep it running so it'll cool down, after being in the parks all day. Especially, if I am paying moderate prices to be there.
    May be they can look into timers on the A/C so if you know you'll be back at the end of the night - you can just set the A/C to turn on a half hour before you get in and off again in the morning. Kinda like the ones you have at home, just with a daily set program??

What cha think, Renovationeers???
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not too worried about waking up hot in the middle of the night because I usually get really cold when I'm sleeping and end up turning the a/c off anyway. I'm more concerned with the temperature when I get back from the parks.

I could understand them turning the a/c DOWN when there is no motion sensed. I don't need the room constantly at 60 when I'm not even in it. But maybe they can set it to make sure the temperature never gets above, say, 74 (unless, of course, you set it to) when there is no motion sensed. It won't take that long to cool off a room at that temperature.

I like the idea of the timers. Maybe they can deactivate the sensors between, say, 11pm and 7am when they assume people are going to be in the room.
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree with the AC crowd. I absolutely hate coming back to a stuffy room.

But, more than that, I hate low flow shower heads. Having long hair, and using conditioner, it takes a long time to get it rinsed out. I end up taking a lot more time in a low flow shower, essentially killing the whole reason to have low flow. WDW had flow that was slow enough....I'd hate to see it slower.

I'm for helping the environment, but there are some things (just basic comforts) that I still would like to have. AC and a good shower are two of them.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is great that disney hotels are going green HOWEVER, I do not like the automatic A/C.... Years ago when they 1st remodeled Port Orleans... they had the a/c that automatically turned off... at night when we were sleeping the a/c would turn off... so an answer to that is to put a balloon in the room.. to "trick" the a/c .. that worked for us...

otherwise YAY DISNEY FOR GOING GREEN!!
    Disneyjo
    I have been so many times I have lost count!!

it all started with a mouse........

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Remzlightyear View Post
    With the governor signing acts to make Florida "greener," our state is becoming more progressive every year. Disney certainly is an example. Now if we could just get those darn property taxes lowered.

I hate to tell you...but since I own a home in the north and one in Orange County, Fla....I can tell you that your property taxes are neither high....nor are ever to be lowered.

Think of it as the price you pay for living in the wealthiest, most advanced society in the history of Earth.

Memebership has it's privileges....and annual fees.

Though the our prop taxes in florida have expanded at a disturbingly large rate over the past several years...

But it's good to see that Fla is taken more enviro-friendly approaches....everyone will have too in the near future...might as well get ahead of the wave (literally)

lockedoutlogic Guest

The AC is an incovenience...but usually by the time people go to bed it's 62 degrees in the room at night anyway....

I hope that Disney also follows my suggestion:
    confiscate all H3, Escalade, Navigator, Expedition, and Yukons and melt them into scrap for toaster parts....
    They could put a pavilion in EPCOT showing the cars being melted down...Edu-tainment!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    Think of it as the price you pay for living in the wealthiest, most advanced society in the history of Earth.
    Have you been to Hialeah?!? Agua, Fango, y Factoria. La ciudad que progresa.

Seriously, though, the AC thing totally worries me!! We sleep with the AC on 60 degrees(or whatever is the lowest setting, I just hold down the DOWN button til it stops.) The minute it turns off, it gets unbearably hot in the room. Since I HAVE TO sleep with a fan on at home and they do not have fans, then I need the AC to run all night. Maybe they could put fans in all the rooms. We can't sleep if it's not cold. It would be uncomfortable to arrive into a stuffy room, but they tend to cool down pretty quickly, so I am not so worried about that or the other things.
    "It's called a salute to all nations but MOSTLY America"

Been to WDW so many times, I've lost count

Visited Disneyland Paris in May 2002

Disneyland & Cali Adventure in June 2007

Hope to someday make it to Japan, China, and back to Paris for Disney Studios!

Post Thanks / Like

At most hotels the maids will turn off the AC when they clean the room so I don't know if this is much different. My husband will be sure to get up & move around if he gets too hot . . . I think I'll leave this piece a secret & see if he notices
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    There are a multitude of things that they can do such as use low-flow bath fixtures, use energy efficient lighting and appliances, reuse towels and linens rather than replacing them daily, recycle and use products made from recycled materials, and install A/C units that shut off when no movement is detected in the room. Many of these things are in place already. I believe that POFQ is one of the Disney resorts that is already certified green.

I totally agree!!!!!
    And they can always use organically made linens/towels and even uniforms.
    I wonder as well if that means they will or already do use organic/biodegradable cleaning supplies as well and energy efficent washers/dryers?
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

I feel I am about to get flamed....

For full disclosure, I am a "green" person. We recycle all plastics, cans, bottles, etc. We have one A/C unit in our home (not central air), which we turn off when we're not home. Lights go off when we're not in a room. My 11-year-old DD is well-trained for this. We take public transportation. We have only one bathroom in our home and it has a water-saver showerhead. I wash clothes in cold water. And our hot-water heater is at a medium setting.

HOWEVER....

When I am on a WDW vacation that I have saved every penny for, and paying lots of pennies for a luxury room, I want my luxury.

I want an air-conditioned room when I walk in. I want clean, dry towels every day. And above all, I WANT A GOOD SHOWER WITH LOTS OF WATER!

This is my vacation. I sacrifice all year. Can I just have one week where I don't have to sacrifice these things?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I feel I am about to get flamed....

For full disclosure, I am a "green" person. We recycle all plastics, cans, bottles, etc. We have one A/C unit in our home (not central air), which we turn off when we're not home. Lights go off when we're not in a room. My 11-year-old DD is well-trained for this. We take public transportation. We have only one bathroom in our home and it has a water-saver showerhead. I wash clothes in cold water. And our hot-water heater is at a medium setting.

HOWEVER....

When I am on a WDW vacation that I have saved every penny for, and paying lots of pennies for a luxury room, I want my luxury.

I want an air-conditioned room when I walk in. I want clean, dry towels every day. And above all, I WANT A GOOD SHOWER WITH LOTS OF WATER!

This is my vacation. I sacrifice all year. Can I just have one week where I don't have to sacrifice these things?

I completely agree with you. Especially if you are paying deluxe prices. If I was at the Contemporary and had to endure heat, low-pressure water, and still-wet towels, I'd demand a refund. I stay in the value resorts and wouldn't put up with that stuff.

Going Green is one thing. Not being comfortable on vacation is another.
    "It's called a salute to all nations but MOSTLY America"

Been to WDW so many times, I've lost count

Visited Disneyland Paris in May 2002

Disneyland & Cali Adventure in June 2007

Hope to someday make it to Japan, China, and back to Paris for Disney Studios!

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about the AC thing, I say we just bring a "toy" that moves every now and then. Keep it going during the day. Hello bouncing Tigger...
    10/07 - SSR planned
    01/07 - Old Key West & POP Century
    11/05 - 12/05 - POP Century & Saratoga Springs
    02/03 - Beach Club
    02/00 - Beach Club & Coronado Springs

Post Thanks / Like

Our experience has been that the A/C does not turn OFF when it does not detect movement, but it does shift to a higher room temp than you have it set for. In all of the resorts, however, the unit will turn completely off if you open a balcony/patio door and leave it open for more than a few minutes. To me, that is reasonable; WDW certainly does not want to try to air condition the entire State of Florida.

We've never come back to an uncomfortably-warm room, and we've stayed in quite a few different resorts. And the nighttime temp shift has not been enough to cause us any discomfort. We're usually totally zonked out from a full day in the parks!

We've heard stories of folks tying a balloon to a ceiling fan (if the room has one) to trick the sensors into detecting movement, but somehow I suspect that would not work. Plus, who wants to listen to a balloon bouncing off fan blades all night?
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psychotekkie View Post
    I am sure I read somewhere in another post that Disney was experimenting with some new busses already, on a trial basis. One Intercot poster who stayed at AK Lodge got to ride on one.
    I actually got to ride one of the hybrid buses on my June trip. The driver mentioned that i was the last week of testing and that it was going back to GM.

It was a really smooth ride and very quiet. We didn't have to yell to have a conversation.
    "in darkness there is power"

Post Thanks / Like

There are a multitude of things that they can do such as install A/C units that shut off when no movement is detected in the room.
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraleeH View Post
    As hot as Florida is, I am not liking the idea of the A/C turning off!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Mess with anything, but the AC. They've already put a restriction on how cool you make your room. The LAST thing I want is to come back after a hot, sweaty day in the parks to a hotel room with no AC on.
    Quote Originally Posted by EeyoresBestFriend View Post
    I'm all for green but. . ..well, I have to admit I'm with the A/C panicked crowd. I don't relish the idea of having to do jumping jacks, at midnite, in a hot room to keep it running so it'll cool down
    When I was in Asia, several of the hotels used a different method for turning off the A/C instead of a motion dector. Upon entering the room you had to put your room key into a slot that would activate the A/C unit. When you left the room, and took the key, the unit would shut off. It doesn't solve the problem of a hot room when you come back, but it won't shut off when you're there.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Even worse than coming into a hot room at the end of a long day is having the unit shut off in the middle of the night because it doesn't detect any movement when everyone is asleep!
    I agree. I have experienced that. It is quite annoying to have to get up and move around to get it back on again.There has to be a way that a sensor could determine that a room is empty and differentiate that from a room with sleeping humans. Imagineering should be able to figure that one out.

Congrats to Disney for being a green leader!
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

Post Thanks / Like

Default so many things to say about this topic....

So I'll start with the positive:

"The biggest piece we're missing is really making sure that cast members understand what we're doing in case guests ask," said Denise Leeming, who oversees labor and scheduling at the resort. "We need to train our cast members, making sure they can have that conversation. If we can't share the program with our guests, then we've missed half the opportunity."
    To me, Disney is basically saying that they are going to train their people to engage the general public. They get no benefit to this other than their employees basically talking to their guests. Maybe it's just that they know they will have to train all of their staff to deal with you AC naysayers but I think this will only benefit WDW. I really view this as a step in the right direction. Any time Disney gears its staff towards engaging the public - I'm OK with it. Even if it is to defend what could be perceived as a guest unfriendly policy.

Trust me, being from MI, I love to sleep in cool conditions just as much as the next guy. I've basically found that after a LONG day in the parks - a 79 degree humidity free room feels just like 70 degrees in MI. I don't mind my room being warm during the day if it keeps costs at WDW down in the long haul. I also think that Disney doesn't mind keeping rooms cooler in the evening for guests. It takes much less energy to get the rooms to 69 degrees when it's 80 degrees outside at night vs. keeping them at 70 in the day when it's 95 out....

Plus - this should not be new to any one that's visited WDW regularly over the past 2 decades.... You used to be able to walk through whatever park and feel a mega cold blast of AC when an attraction let out. That just doesn't happen anymore. Disney has been on this path for a long time.

One last thing: Let me put my political hat on for the moment.... The energy debacle this country is going to find itself in will ultimately drive a number of political and business decisions. If this decision means sleeping in a room that's a few degrees warmer vs. not having the opportunity to have Main Street lit up every night - I'll take the former.

OK - sorry for the rant. Time to make a
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: