Quantcast Making a strangers day at WDW

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Making a strangers day at WDW

My friend just got back from WDW, and told me that a guest offered her their unused Fast Passes, and that it really made her day! That got me thinking, What can we do to make another persons day? To me, making another person's day would be part of my magic at WDW!
    "We share the same biology, regardless of ideology" - Sting, Russians.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have given away FP also among other things. Bu I think that the most important thing is to keep on your smile and not do anything to ruin another persons day. If every guest were to do this WDW would be even more magical. It is hard to believe what effect a minor act such as cutting in line can do to everyones morale.

So lets keep it magical

Thanks
    Scott C
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Jun 75 - Jul 84 Dutch Inn
    Oct 78 - Nov 88 Poly - Honeymoon(88)
    May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I have met so many nice people at WDW.I have also met a few people who think that jumping in front of others and being pushy is the way to act.Thank goodness I haven't met too many of them,but there were a few.We are all there to get the most of our vacation,thats why we go to WDW A courteous hello and a big smile does wonders for me !!!
    Disneyland 1969-1988
    ASM 2000
    ASM 2002
    ASM 2003
    ASM 2004
    Pop 2004 (50's)
    Pop Oct.2006(70's)
    Pop May 2007(50's)
    Pop Dec.2007(60's)
    Pop Oct.2008
    PORS May 2010
    Wilderness Lodge 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I've stopped and helped out people who were looking at a map (trying to get to space mountain from splash mountain. They were very grateful.
    Have a Magical Day!

Post Thanks / Like

On our last trip we went to MK our first night. As we were leaving (after Wishes) a young couple approached our DD7 and asked if she'd like their balloon. They were heading back to England the next day and wouldn't be able to take the balloon - it was a shiny Minnie balloon. Our DD was so thrilled. She didn't know what to think at first; it was a magical way to begin our trip! At the end of our trip the balloon was still floating in the air - like it was brand new. We left it in our room with a note asking the Mousekeeping if they could leave it for the next guests. I'm sure they probably couldn't, but we tried to pass along the magic.
    1985 - off site
    1989 - Caribbean Beach
    1996 - All Star Music (honeymoon)
    2005 - All Star Movies (first time with kiddos)
    2006 - Disneyland
    2006 - Pop Century (with the grandparents)
    2008 - Saratoga Springs

Post Thanks / Like

I generally try to keep an eye out for folks looking like they want a photo taken and offer to do it. I know what it's like to always have photos with one person missing.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have given away Fastpasses that we were unable to use and have taken photos for others. (as folks have done for us)
    As Scott C mentioned, if we keep smiling and help each other it makes the trip even more magical.
    Heck, this may even work in the 'real' world!
    During our last trip to WDW while waiting outside of RnRC, I saw a girl carying her little brother, I noticed that she dropped some Fastpasses. I picked them up and returned them to her. Well, unkown to me, a CM saw what I did and gave me Fastpasses for RnRC! I felt kind of embarrassed being rewarded for doing the right thing.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

We were in line waiting for a bus back to our resort when the two kids in front of us were very bored. We had purchased a couple dozen light up flashy necklaces and neon necklaces and we gave the two girls each a necklace. You would have thought we gave them a million bucks. I love to spread the magic. We also give them out to a child or two waiting for a night parade or show who are being very good and patiently waiting. Usually the parents are like, "whatever", but the kids are extremely happy. We love to spread a little magic to others. We have also given away our FP.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I have given fast passes to people and have had them given to me.

On my last trip in May I had a man come over and give my boys each a "Dreams Come True" pin lanyard that they had been given by the dream squad. They said they didn't need them and thought my boys would like them. It was very nice of them.
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

We do the same with unused FPs and I also try to take pictures when I see a family with one member missing.

One year we had perfect strangers invite us to sit with them at CRT breakfast because the other half of their party wasn't going to make it for the ADR. We in turn paid for their breakfast.

I try to spread the magic at home as well. DDs and I were leaving the Crescent Park Carousel one afternoon and we still had tickets left (which we could have stayed for our next visit) but we gave them to a family that was just arriving hoping that they would have a little extra fun on us.

One afternoon my Mom and I were out to lunch with my DDs (we only had 2 at the time and one was a baby) we ate a Chelo's in the mall. Next to us sat the most adorable old couple I've ever seen in my life. They talked to us and especially the baby periodically. She was confined to a wheelchair and had trouble using her hands. He helped her eat her lunch feeding her when she seemed to be having a little too much trouble and wiping her mouth when she spilled a little. I was (ans still am just remembering) moved to tears. He took care of her with such tenderness and love I'll never forget them as long as I live. Well, I wanted to make a difference to them like they had to me, although they'll never know why, so I paid for their lunch. I asked the waitress for their check, added the gratuity, and asked the waitress to please not say anything to them until after I had left. I wanted nothing from them, not even a thank you, for they had touched my soul and that was enough.

There was a great movie called "Pass it on" that was based on people doing nice things for others and not asking anything in return only that they in turn "pass it on" by doing something nice for someone else. Think of how wonderful the world would be if everyone did this.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Soooo true that if everyone did 1 special thing a day we would be such a Happier World!
    Thanks for the reminder, I'm leaving in 22 days and will ask my son & his friend to make note of this! I too will set a good example and join the kindness......
    Lorraine
    8/08 off site @ friends Time Share
    8/07 POP
    8/03 ASSP

Post Thanks / Like

for some reason rides kept breaking down on us when we were there in january, so we ended up with a lot of those special fastpasses. We didn't use them by the end of out trip, so we left them in the bedside table in the hotel. I hope someone got to use them. I also like to think I am helping people out by keeping my girlfriend from losing her noodle whenever someone is rude, cuts in line, or is generally being an idiot.
    1990-Polynesian, 1998-All-Star Music, 2002-Off Property , 2003-All Star Music, 2007- Pop Century (twice) , 2008-Old Key West, 2008-Off Property, 2009-POFQ,2010-off property, 2011 - POFQ
    Next Up . . . . November 23-30, 2013- Off Property at the Star Island Resort.

Post Thanks / Like

I have given fast passes away and had them given to me as well. DF and I were at Epcot and went to get fast passes for Test Track (which happens to be one of our favorit rides) well they were already gone for the day we went to go see how long the stand by line was....100 minutes just then a nice man came up to us and offerd us his FP that were go right then That really made our day! So thank you nice man where ever you are
    ºoº Annual Passholders Since 2005 ºoº
    Last Trip: Sept 07 POR
    WL 08 canceled because I am pregnant!
    Next trip...WL or POLY??

Post Thanks / Like

I think people in WDW are nicer than people in life in general (for the most part). Even I am a bit nicer as well. Everytime I saw some people holding a camera I always offered to take the pic for them. My BF tells the story that we couldn't walk 2 feet before I offered to take another photo. I've also offered my dessert to kids sitting next to us (with parents permission of course). I wish everybody could be more like this.
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Post Thanks / Like

I remember one time my g/f and I were in line for the jungle cruise, and a woman in front of us had her hands full watching her kids, when the baby in her arms started fussing and crying. You could see that this was the last thing she needed, and so I reached into my shopping bag and pulled out a stuffed chipmunk (Dale I think) and gave it to her baby. Well instantly the baby was all smiles. The mom was very greatful and was all smiles too. That made for a good moment for me.
    We have 999 Happy Haunts here...but there's always room for a thousand.

Post Thanks / Like

We try to help elderly, new parents, etc.

Also, whenever we see a couple or family taking a picture we ask the "photographer" if they want to get in it and we take the whole group's photo.

Also on the various holidays, i.e., Halloween, Christmas, Easter we have our kids each use a clear plastic envelope and fill it with stickers, etc., and while in line, walking around, etc., they can ask a parent first (with us with them) and offer another child something from their bag...this is nice when waiting in lines either for ride or meals or busses!

Post Thanks / Like

I have given Fast Passes to people, It makes me really happy to give them away!

I always try to act "like a cast member" and just be really polite and helpful to anyone who needs it! I suppose it's common courtesy
    Amy AKA Fantasmic

Let your Disney magic shine!

Mystries and Magic, visions Fantasmic!

WDW in 88,89,90,91,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02,04,05,07,09,11,13,14,16
    DLP in 99,00,08

Post Thanks / Like

I've done the "Would you like to be in your picture?" thing many many times- fun. Once in a while the answer is, "No- I'm not part of this group, I'm just taking their picture".

Since most of my park visits are short (1 to 4 hr) I'm often grabbing fastpasses on the way in that I end up giving away before I leave. That's fun too though sometimes I wonder if a single FP causes a couple or family a little trouble ("Which one of us gets to use this?"). I wish there was an easy way to give my $10 parking lot ticket to someone on their way into the park.

Since my DW is disabled and we've dealt with her scooter and (earlier) wheelchairs so many times, I'm sensitive to how hard they are to manuever safely. On a crowded Main Street USA it's kind of tough to stay off the rails and find your way to the ramps up and down the curbs (actually it's not easy when MSUSA is empty). So, when I'm in the parks alone I often try to "clear the way" for wheelchairs and scooters (yes, strollers too) especially when they seem stuck in a traffic jam... been there, done that.
    Dec 1977 - my 1st MK visit
    1978-1994 - annual 1-day visits from TN OH and PA
    1995 - moved to Orlando
    1995-today - many many short visits with SP's and AP's
    2003-today - taking photos all over WDW

Post Thanks / Like

I've given away numerous FP's to people as our plans have changed.

We've had our snacks paid for twice by a family trying to use up their snack credits on the dining plan.
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

On our last trip, we had to miss our FP because of ADRs so I went down to get more FP for this ride and saw people standing in line to get some. I offered them the ones that I already had and they were thrilled. Made me feel really good. She in turn offered me the others that she had but there wasn't enough for our group so I declined but thanked her and she in turn offered them to someone else in line. Pass it on is always a good motto. Twice on this trip, someone offered DD a stoller that wasn't going to be used that day which kept her from having to pay to rent one. This was great and we couldn't believe it. We also have helped take photos and in turn they took one of us. You are right, I think being in the parks just makes people want to do for others. Because if you go elsewhere, you don't see this kindness most times. I think the rudiest people I have seen in the parks are visitors from other countries. Seems like in these countries, they don't know what politeness is and bring it with them, sorry to say. I think being exposed to the nice CMs kind of makes people think and decide to pass it on.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: