Quantcast WDW Weather Forecast - August 31-Sept 16, 2007

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW Weather Forecast - August 31-Sept 16, 2007

Each day in August, usually between 11 and 1 central time, I'll update this first post with the forecast, both long and short term. As a general rule, up to 7 days is a pretty accurate forecast, beyond that it's educated guessing and largely dependent upon how well the models are doing at that moment. If you have any specific weather questions or comments, even if it's for an area other than WDW, please post and I'll answer throughout the thread. I'll also post weather tidbits every so often. Without further delay, let's get to the forecast:

Weather at WDW - Updated Friday pm, August 31, 2007
    What you got today will pretty much be cloned over the next two weeks - highs in the 89-92 range and lows in the 70-74 range with afternoon thunderstorms each day. Once the thunderstorms come through they'll cool things off 5-10 degrees. As always, have fun if it rains, but get inside if you see lightning. I wish I had something more scientific to give you, but that's pretty much the bottom line through mid September. A couple of fronts try to push down towards WDW, but will run out of energy before arriving. A tropical event can always change everything, but barring one of those, expect this forecast to hold.

Travel Impact
    Newark is at 1 hour, and La Guardia and Chicago are at 30 minutes. Mostly anywhere from Dallas to Nashville to Charlotte and south could see a minor delay today or tomorrow due to thunderstorms developing. Expect a good bit of turbulence flying in or out of Orlando.

Tropics
    Looks like we have Tropical Storm Felix on our hands; I will have the data from the Hurricane Hunter aircraft in the region shortly; this system will move through the Windward Islands during the next few hours, and will journey through the southern Caribbean over the weekend. This is a low latitude tropical cyclone, and all of the models move it into either Central America or the Yucatan peninsula next week, with no entry into the Gulf of Mexico. This is basically the exact track that Dean took. However, the upper high isn't nearly as powerful now as with Dean, so while WDW probably has nothing to worry about, folks in Texas need to keep at least one eye on this thing, however unlikely a turn to the north might be.

The GFS has a hurricane approaching the east coast around Sept 13, then turning to the north. This is nothing specific right now, but it's worth keeping an eye on.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course, we're heading to WDW August 18-25 and now the possibility of a "strong hurricane approaching Florida on the 21st". I take full responsibility. I don't think I've ever planned a trip and had good weather.
    Anyway, still the chance things will change. Thanks for keeping us informed. You can be sure that I'll be checking back every day!
    June 1988 Fort Wilderness
    June 1998 Off Site
    Jan. 2000 Villas at Disney Institute
    Jan. 2003 Off Site
    Aug. 2007 Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by courtney2006 View Post
    Of course, we're heading to WDW August 18-25 and now the possibility of a "strong hurricane approaching Florida on the 21st". I take full responsibility. I don't think I've ever planned a trip and had good weather.
    Anyway, still the chance things will change. Thanks for keeping us informed. You can be sure that I'll be checking back every day!
    Agreed!

P.S. Where do you get this info, Chris? Just curious!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan369 View Post
    P.S. Where do you get this info, Chris? Just curious!
    All of my forecast comes from looking at the various weather models - GFS, NAM, NGM, UK, and so on. I do also talk to friends in the field and see their thoughts on the models, but mostly I just look at the raw data. You can also look at the NOAA site and the National Hurricane Center site to see their thoughts on things.

As for the hurricane I mentioned approaching FL, don't get worked up about anything in the long range. The models handle patterns well, not specifics, that far out. I mentioned it appearing on the model only to note the models picking up a shift in pattern towards more favorable tropical storm conditions, not because I actually believe that specific storm will develop. The hurricane I mentioned yesterday is still on the 06Z model run today (though I'll do my forecast update one the 12Z run comes out around noon CDT), but now it's around the Bahamas and curving more towards the Carolina rather than FL. Again, this still doesn't mean that specific storm will even develop, but that the models are picking up on a shift in the overall pattern around mid-August that will become favorable for hurricane development. Keep checking and I'll keep you informed as best I can.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Chris:

For those of us heading to WDW on Friday, it looks like we can expect the "usual" mid August week of weather:

hot, humid with the possibility of passing afternoon showers.

Still sounds a lot better to a family that had to change hotels when Hurricane Charley knocked the power out of the one we were staying at!
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrte62 View Post
    hot, humid with the possibility of passing afternoon showers.
    You got it. The good news for you is that it should be a little less hot next week than it was this week. Low 90s is bad, but I'll take it over upper 90s like this week!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

We'll be down on Friday night, and although pretty darn hot, it looks like it'll actually be better weather than here in the midwest. We had a high today of 101!
    Rebecca
    mom of Jenna (Cindewella) & Lucy (Sleepingbooty)

Next visit: September 2010, Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Pardon my ignorance, but what is 12Z?

I'm going to WDW August 18-22; looks like it will be hot and humid with afternoon thunderstorms, and a slight chance of a hurricane. Sounds similar to NYC weather. Oh well, at least I'm used to it!
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BronxTigger View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is 12Z?
    No worries! 12Z refers to 12:00 Zulu Time. The models are run every 6 hours and because they are worldwide models they are always date stamped in Zulu time instead of central or eastern or other place specific. If I say the 12Z GFS run then I am referring to the Global Forecast Systems weather model which began running at 8:00 am EDT (usually take 4-5 hours to complete the run). Because the GFS is a global model is takes data and patterns from all over into account making it the most accurate of the long range models. I often use the NGM (Nested Grid Model) for short range forecasting. It only goes 84 hours out but has a much higher resolution, often increasing accuracy in the short term.

The "official" name for this is UTC (Coordinated Universal Time - I know the initials don't match the name. It's because the UN still considers French the Universal Language and so the initials appear in their French way of saying) and, until 1972, was called Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). The reason we refer to it as Zulu is because the phonetic alphabet is applied to every time zone (A=alpha, F=Foxtrot, etc). It just so happens that the universal time has been giving the letter Z or Zulu (FYI - Eastern Time is Romeo, Central Time is Sierra, Mountain is Tango, and Pacific is Uniform).

During daylight savings time in the US 00Z is 8 pm EDT, 06Z is 2 am EDT, 12Z is 8 am EDT, 18Z is 2 pm EDT. Because UTC does not change for daylight savings, just knock those times back an hour for standard time. Hope that helps!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sleepingbooty View Post
    We'll be down on Friday night, and although pretty darn hot, it looks like it'll actually be better weather than here in the midwest. We had a high today of 101!
    Yes, you'll definitely be better off in WDW. The heat bubble that's been sitting over the SE will slide west beginning Saturday so while temps over the SE (including FL) will back off a few degrees, the midwest will be blistering.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

We are leaving on the 25th of August and I will be interested in seeing what the weather is like in FL for those dates when the time gets closer, however, it can't be worse than what we are experiencing in Evansville IN right now, it is 102 today, and it will hang around for a few more days. So the 90's is sounding really good to me right now!
    Carol Ann
    Mom Mom to 2 little China dolls
    Lucy Rae & Mia Lee

CSR - Nov 29th to Dec 5th

POP - Sept 19th to 26th, 2008

OKW - Aug 26th - Sept. 1st, 2007
    P&P Party August 31st, 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Strmchsr: Thanks so much for the weather update. My best friend & I heading down to WDW on Saturday and leaving for our 4-night cruise the next day. After that, we will be spending four days in WDW. The weather looks awesome with the usual rain, which is brief. I'm lookng foward to the trip!!! Have fun, all!! God bless and happy Mickey!!
    Past Trips:
    1/00(Millennium): All-Star Music
    1/02 (Walt's 100th Birthday): All-Star Music
    8/05: Coronado Springs
    8/06: Port Orleans: French Quarter
    8/07: DCL:Disney Wonder (First cruise ever!!!!)/WDW:Beach Club/Polynesian
    2008: DCL:Mexican Riviera Cruise/Disneyland (First trip ever!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Booo to the hurricane predictions. I hate to fly so the last thing I need is a nearby hurricane on the 22nd, when I fly out at 4:30 up the east coast to NYC. Yikes.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BronxTigger View Post
    Booo to the hurricane predictions.
    Don't worry. I'm not predicting anything just yet other than I think the tropics that have been so silent thus far will no longer be so in another week or two. The 12Z and 18Z models both maintained the development of this hurricane around Aug 19, but both of them took the thing up around the Bahamas and then up the east coast, but remaining out to sea and not affecting the USA at all. However, now both of them develop a second storm in the Caribbean around Aug 24 headed for FL around Aug 26. The specific storms are all voodoo until one actually develops, but the pattern shift I think we can be pretty certain of.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Oh great! We are heading out on August 26th! Of course, living in LA close to the FL border, I know that anything can happen and it can go any direction if it does happen. I was just hoping that this year will be like last year with few if no hurricanes. Here's hoping that if it does, it heads towards the west, even though I don't wish that on anyone. Last year we headed home just ahead of a tropical storm and really glad that we did. I didn't even think about it being hurricane season when I planned our trip. I was just trying to plan around our anniversary.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pixiesmimi View Post
    Oh great! We are heading out on August 26th! Of course, living in LA close to the FL border, I know that anything can happen and it can go any direction if it does happen.
    Don't worry. Until the storm actually develops the models are just pure speculation. Yes, it looks like tropical storm season is about to ramp up, but any specific storms are just voodoo until they actually develop.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Strmchsr; can you clarify for someone from the northeast what the effect of a hurricane hitting south Florida would have on WDW. Is that close enough to cause problems in WDW or just some moderate to heavy rains and for what length of time would it take to move by have skys clear up again or is it different with each storm. We arrive Wed the 15th untli Sunday the 26th.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jans2kids View Post
    Strmchsr; can you clarify for someone from the northeast what the effect of a hurricane hitting south Florida would have on WDW. Is that close enough to cause problems in WDW or just some moderate to heavy rains and for what length of time would it take to move by have skys clear up again or is it different with each storm. We arrive Wed the 15th untli Sunday the 26th.Thanks
    It all depends upon where it hits. If it's around Miami, then WDW probably wouldn't see more than a few thunderstorms and a blustery day. If it hits farther north, it can create more of a problem. Regardless, you're almost always looking at less than 24 hours of park impact. WDW has only closed 4-5 days due to weather in it's entire history, and all of those have been within the last 10 years.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to find some pictures of these tracks you speak of, but I can't find any. Could you pm me some links or point me in the right direction? Thanks. I'm getting a weebit nervous but there's not much I can do about it so I'm trying not to freak out LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Until the storm actually develops there won't be a combined graphic showing all the model tracks. I have to go through and look at all of the various raw model data, which probably wouldn't be very helpful to you. What I suggest is to Google the National Hurricane Center. I certainly read their thoughts (among others) when I'm putting together the forecast for Intercot. Once any storm develops all the info you need on it will be at that site.

I can't stress enough, though, don't worry. I promised to keep everyone informed as far in advance as possible, so I'm doing that. Having made that statement, I also want to state that this storm is still around 10-11 days away from any potential landfall and the GFS is notorious for flip-flopping the track. I feel certain that a hurricane will develop in the next few days, but as to whether or not it hits the USA, I have no certainty in that right now at all. Just try to take some deep breaths and relax. I'll be sure to let you know when it's time to panic.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: