Quantcast Feelings on the 2008 Dining Plan/Will You Purchase The Dining Plan in 2008? [Merged]

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Feelings on the 2008 Dining Plan/Will You Purchase The Dining Plan in 2008? [Merged]

**Moderator Note**

This thread is for sharing opinions on the changes for the 2008 Dining Plan changes only.

Any questions or need for clarification about the changes should go in
    2008 room rates and packages now available,where Magical Journeys has posted the 2008 Magic My Way with Dining Package info.

Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow.. I not sure how to take the new changes in the dining packages for 2008!

I am flipped both ways on not having the gratuties included now in 2008 dining - Yes I think some servers should have to work for it but it was nice not to have to worry about it also. We have ate with the dining plan 4 times and ready for our fifth in 38 days!
    We like the fact that it was included but because of a survey that Disney did most people didn't want the gratuities included anymore. The price of it went down from 39.99 to 38.99 adult and 11.99 to 10.99 for child ages 3-9. Only 1 dollar but its something.
    Now they have a deluxe dining with out the Premium upgrades- its got 3 table service a day and two snacks per person. I believe that one is 69.99 a night/day. I have alot of clients going in the new year and I am not thinking they are going to be too pleased with the changes- I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    I am intrested what others thing of the changes?
    Thanks

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems like it is Disney's way of raising the price while trying to mask the increase. For a family of 4 like mine, $4.00 a day discount off the price will not cover a tip for a table service meal.
    I'm thinking we will not be buying the dining plan included from now on
    BCV June 2009
    Swan Mar 2009
    OKW Sept 2008
    BCV July 2007
    BCV Dec 2006
    AKL Jan 2006
    ASM Oct 2005
    BCV Oct 2005
    BCV May 2005
    BCV Dec 2004 (our first trip)

Post Thanks / Like

I have never used DDP. I may someday. I am actually looking at DDE.

I do think that the price should be lower with the gratuity removed. I do, however, think that I would have tipped anyway. The servers make very little and their tips really are their livelihood.
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not just the gratuity that's not included...you also don't get an appetizer with your TS meal. So, although the price went down a whopping $1.00 your costs just went up significantly.. example: Appetizer $6.00, 18% tip on say a $50.00 meal is $9.00 total increase is $15.00 per TS...it makes the DDP not a value at all. Just another disappointment coming from Disney...too many changes and none of them are for the benefit of us frequent travelers....where's that discount????

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now...
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

BelleBeauty Guest

I am incredibly disappointed. The DDP was a good way for Disney to get us to use more table service restaurants - I admit that without the DDP we would probably only do a few TS dinners a trip. I was very very happy with the plan before.

I had heard rumors about the tip not being included. I didn't like the idea because you never know what the total will be for your meal, and you are calculating the tip from the "real" total, not the total you pay for your DDP. I liked being able to pay in advance and not have to worry about it.

What will probably put me over the edge of not using the DDP (even though it makes me sad) is that there is no longer an appetizer included. Perhaps they should have just looked into lowering the quantity of appetizers, limiting it to 2 per table, etc. I don't need to have one to myself, but trying extra food was nice. I would rather they got rid of dessert, it is always wasted after all of that food, and dessert is something that everyone is more likely to share if we want to pay the extra cost.

The Wine & Dine for $39.99 is a good deal. I'm wondering about the logistics. Is that paid per adult in the room, but not per child? Does everyone adult have to be on the Wine & Dine, or just one - since the wine is per room. I mean, the $1 increase with a nice bottle of wine each day would make that worth my while - even without the appetizer.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that if they are not going to include and appetizer or a gratuity they need to lower the price alot more.

We are going in Sept to take advantage of the free dining bc DH is sort of a penny pincher and would never would pay for all the bells and whistles at all the TS restaurants.

Anyway once again WDW is masking a huge price increase with a discount.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

To us, the value is still there. I don't mind much about the tip. I'm not too disappointed in the leaving out the appetizer. If we want one, it'll be OOP that's all. I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really don't mind. It seemed like such a phenomenal deal before, and now it seems a nice deal with some benefits. We'll still do it.
    I like the flexibility in picking your plan. We might go deluxe dining next year. Although the regular dining was just SO much food already.
    Jen :)

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    Marriott Grande Vista 2002
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL, Grand Floridian 2008
    Beach Club CL 2009
    GF Royal Palm Club CL 2010
    WL CL 2011
    CR Presidential Suite 2012
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I are taking a group of 8 in January. We planned the trip using the dining plan as something we would get. We have a table service planned each day. I am thinking that the dining plan will actually cost us more money. We have decided to keep our reservations and just pay cash. Now we can share appetizers and split or not get dessert. My wife actually figured it out financially based on what she would order. The expensive restaurants might make the plan worth it but all in all it is not worth it. Plus, being DVC members we will get the AP and the DDE which means 20% off our table service.

Another advantage of going sans-DDP is flexibility. Maybe you want to eat a counter service breakfast and eat a quick sandwich for lunch. Without the dining plan you eat what you want when you want without worrying about what you have left in terms of meals. Maybe you skip dessert in favor of a bagel earlier in the day. I believe the DDP ties you down. I am on vacation and the DDP used to be a good idea. Next trip I'll skip it.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I know my family will no longer be purchaing the DDP because it will no longer be a good deal for us. In the future we will just pick our 3 favorite table service rest.'s and then eat counter service the rest of the time. That's what we used to do so I know this will be the best use of our money. I'm very sad with these changes. I can't imagine what Disney is thinking...it's as if they want fewer people to purchase the DDP or something. I just doesn't make sense.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

The Dining Plan changes stink. They took a good thing that I'm sure was profitable for them (or it wouldn't have lasted this long) and absolutely ruined it.
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytravels View Post
    We like the fact that it was included but because of a survey that Disney did most people didn't want the gratuities included anymore. :
    I thought the tip was no longer going to be included because of the new labor contract that was just signed this summer. What I had heard was that the Union did not want the tips included for some reason. (Actually, I had a discussion with someone that the reason the wait staff did not want the tip included was because it was showing up on their W-2s.)
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely not planning on getting the DDP for my next trip in 2008. In another post I called it the "buy 18 meals, get 1 free deal", which is about how the cost/value ratio works out with the new prices.

I'm disappointed in the new plan, and while I'm happy to hear that servers will have a better chance of getting their tips, the plan no longer fits my vacation style. I think people will continue to purchase the plan, because it *sounds* like a value. Whatever - I still plan to eat at the parks, but now I'll be budgeting food costs into it like in the old days.
    Next trip DLR in February 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BelleBeauty View Post
    Marker - MJ announced the changes this morning.
    OK, the rumor aspect is apparently resolved.

So, the automatic tip was taken away, which is exactly what a lot of people seemed to want.

The price went down, not much, but that's still better than going up.

They excluded the appetizer..... well, personally, I wish they would have made it 1 appetizer OR desert .... I would much rather have the appetizer than the desert. Either way, it was always A LOT of food, I don't think this going to cause me to go hungry.

In fact, if they'd have made it "OR", I think I'd have loved it.

All in all, I can live with it.

And they also added the deluxe version, which does include an appetizer. But HOLY COW, 3 TS meals and 2 snacks...... THERE'S NO WAY WE'D GO THROUGH THAT MUCH FOOD, and we eat a lot.

As for the tip not being included, yes, that does raise the overall cost. But, it's what a lot of people wanted. If it is indeed what the new labor contract requires, then there was wasn't really a choice. It only effect 1 meal per day (on the basic plan). Without the appetizers included, the tip will be less (unless you order an appetizer anyway).

To anticipate that the cost wouldn't have gone up is in my view a bit naive. So for me, it's a fairly reasonable compromise.

Either way, it is what it is, and based on that, I'll choose whether or not to use it.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Default ...........

So, my question about this is......

If we are 'required' to put out a tip (gratuity) ... which per Webster Gratuity = something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service...then IF we don't feel the service is worth 18% then what is suggested. I can tell you quite frankly that up to this point in ALL my dining experiences I have yet to receive service worth $20 (family of 4 @ TS<-2adults 2 children). And what about a buffet type restaurant?? Again...I have yet to receive any where near $20 worth of table service from ANY wait staff. Not that at times the service has been good...but 18% I consider to be top notch service...no empty glasses (which is a HUGE issue) and no dirty dishes (another huge issues).
    Carribean Beach / Saratoga Springs
    Boardwalk Villas / Saratoga Springs
    Wilderness Lodge Villas / Saratoga Springs
    Saratoga Springs
    SARATOGA SPRINGS & THE DISNEY WONDER

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I can say that the new changes won't mean too much to our family. This is the 1st year we are doing it and only because it is free. I too found it extremely disturbing to have to plan meals 180 days in advance, not even sure what's for dinner tomorrow! LOL. We are not sit down dinner people ever single night anyway, especially on vacation. Well, with that said and out of the way.... I do feel bad for the servers. If indeed the tip is not included. Can you imagine the people who will leave a subpar tip or none at all. What about the family of 8 who has saved and saved and doesn't really have the money for tips and chooses to spend that hard earned money on souveniers. I think the waiters and waitresses or whomever has pushed this issue has cut their own throat. Reading over the new changes the highest tier is just plain ridiculous. 3 TS meal per day! I had trouble planning just 1! I think Disney will make a fortune on that till people get wise to the fact that 3 TS meals per day is just crazy. All you would do is eat all day long. Maybe they can include a free years membership to Jenny Craig! Can you imagine the dining line, scary! Maybe they would have to push the ADR date out to 365 days! Just my opinion though.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree this time that the changes stink! The dining plan was one of the major reasons my wife and I have fallen in love with Disneyworld. No appetizer.....WHAT!!!!!! rather they done away with the dessert. And fo r the servers.. I think as someone else said , they have cut their own throat. full resturaunts with 18 % vs not full resturaunts with less than 18% or nothing!!! Ouch. It was so nice not to have to worry with bringing any cash on our trip and enjoying fantastic meals that we normally would not afford. Guess its back to counter service. Sorry Disney. May even change our plans to attend every year now.
    2003- Oct.-Carribean Beach Resort
    2006- Oct/Nov.-Carribean Beach Resort
    2007-Nov.- POFQ
    2008-Nov.- POFQ
    2009- Nov.- POFQ
    2010- Nov.- PO Riverside
    2011- May- PO Riverside
    2012-May- Coronado
    2013-May- PO Riverside
    2014-May- PO Riverside
    [B]2015-April- Coronado[B/]

Post Thanks / Like

1) There is disagreement as to WHY the change was made.
    2) The union was against it, because of taxes on tips.
    3) Many wait-staff make over $80,000, and the taxes got higher.
    4) A server's life/pay at WDW is not as bad as many think.

5) What seems to have missed here is the price increase.
    6) The changes amount to a minimum 25&#37; increase.
    7) For 2 TS restaurants, the increase is about 35%.
    8) But, the public will never recognize this.
    9) More people will lose money on buying the DDP.
    10) Oh, well, the gullibility of the public . . . . . .

NOTE: Unless it has been overlooked, the Deluxe DDP Plan is the seldom purchased Premium Plan, with just a slight change. Rename an old package/product and sell it as new.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BelleBeauty View Post
    The Wine & Dine for $39.99 is a good deal. I'm wondering about the logistics. Is that paid per adult in the room, but not per child? Does everyone adult have to be on the Wine & Dine, or just one - since the wine is per room. I mean, the $1 increase with a nice bottle of wine each day would make that worth my while - even without the appetizer.
    I was under the impression that the Wine & Dine was an extra $39.99 each day, not a simple $1 increase per day for a whole bottle of wine.
    Amanda

Next Visit:
    August 16-23, 2014: CBR

Virginia Tech
    HOKIES

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poll - Will You Continue To Purchase The Dining Plan After 2007?

In light of the changes taking place to the Dining Plan beginning in 2008, how will it impact your decision to purchase the Dining Plan.

As for me, I have purchased the Standard Dining Plan (DDP) in the past, but I don't plan on purchasing it in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

No I can't justify the cost for my family of 6. With the changes to it anyway it is less appealing.
    Amanda, Mom of 4

ASMo Mar 2005
    Pop Sep 2006, Jan 2014, Jan 2016
    SSR Dec 2006
    Disney Magic Jan 2008, Mar 2009, Apr 2011
    OKW Jan 2009, June 2012, December 2017
    POFQ Jan 2012
    VWL Oct 2012
    AKV Jan 2013, June 2013, Aug 2015
    AOA July 2014
    All Star Sports Jan 2015

Share This Thread On Social Media: