Quantcast Disney's Hollywood Studios - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Also, how lame a list of "new attractions" is that? TS Mania is the only one on the list that's actually an attraction. The rest are basically nothing changes they're making. I hate when they put together bogus lists like that to try and make it look like they're actually adding stuff to a park when they aren't.
    I know I am repeating myself, but this really seems to be the new Disney way. The marketing spin employed by Disney these days is so transparent it makes my stomach turn. They must really think the average Disney fan/guest is quite dumb.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Yea well, you think "Eagles" sounds better than "Giants".
    well....since neither...in reality....could carry the jockeys of "Steelers"....then it really is a silly debate...

lockedoutlogic Guest

Wow...the "new name, new experiences" article that the Sentinel was paid to print...errrr...I mean..."reported" is classic Eisnerian Fluff....

They continue to just barely keep MGM...or what ever it's called....on life support.

Let's face it....it's undersized...under invested in.....and glossing over the redux of the car show.....hasn't had a "big" new draw since RnRollercoaster in 1999...

The expectations for the Toy Story Mania are big....but the park needs more....an enlarging of the park's footprint to allow for more guest space would be a good start....

In the back of my mind...I can't shake the thought that Disney's staffing issues will not allow the kind of massive reinvestment in both AK and MGM that both parks need.....

I hope that MGM will not be the ugly little sister forever...
    Last edited by John; 08-10-2007 at 04:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the idea to leave Pixar out of the name was two-fold.

If they had Pixar in the name, it might limit the attractions that were not Pixar related.

Also, if there were a falling out with Pixar and it were bought/sold, there would be a 'Here we go again' on the name. Hollywood studios is generic enough they probably won't need to change it again for a while.
    VMK - Electro_Stitch
    World of Tanks - jjramsey
    VFK was - ElectroStitch

WDW:
    1 wk - '92
    1 wk - '93
    1 day - '00
    2 wks - '01
    1 month at one time! - '02
    2 wks - '03
    2 wks - '04 - during two of the hurricanes
    4+ wks - '06
    2+ wks - '07
    2 wks - '10
    2 wks - '11

...the next trip is...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Actually, AK's official name is "Disney's Animal Kingdom."
    I was going to say that! But hey, since you're a Mets and Giants fan, I'll let it go... Hey Ian! Giants definitely sounds better than Eagles, and the Mets certainly sound better than the Phillies!!

I may be in Myrtle Beach now, but I'm a New Yorker by birth...

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, 3,808.63 KM from the Magic Kingdom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the name. it's an all-encompassing "movie" name, and doesn't just focus on one studio (MGM), but ALL studios and ALL movies.
    Walt was ½ Canadian!

DL, Aug 97; DL, Jul 01; DL, Aug 05; DL, Jan 06; WDW, Oct 06; DL, Dec 06; WDW, Nov 07; DL, Dec 07; DL, Jun 08; DL, Feb 09; DLP, Apr 09; DL, Sep 09; TDL, Oct 09; DL, Jun 10; WDW, Oct, 10; WDW, May, 13; WDW, Sep 14; HKDL, Sep 15, WDW, Mar 17; WDW Jan 19.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

I think it's the apostrophe -- that always makes a park name a little more clunky.

Ah well, I guess "The Disney-MGM Studios" sounded clunky in 1989 too.

You would think that "Hollywood Studio" would be superfluous-- but Disney execs know you can never have enough movie magic in a title. Maybe something like "Disney's Lights Camera Action Hollywood Movie Star-Studded Studio in Hollywood" would have been better.
    It's fun to be free.

Post Thanks / Like

just to add another article...

http://origin.mercurynews.com/travel/ci_6592775

Disney-MGM Studios will change its name

The Associated Press
    Article Launched: 08/10/2007 10:11:34 AM PDT

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla.—Disney-MGM Studios is changing its name to Disney's Hollywood Studios, starting January 2008.

"The new name reflects how the park has grown from representing the golden age of movies to a celebration of the new entertainment that today's Hollywood has to offer—in music, television, movies and theater," said Walt Disney World Resort president Meg Crofton in a statement.

"As a park all about entertainment, Disney's Hollywood Studios will deliver like never before. Now we can say that Hollywood is literally our middle name," Crofton wrote.

The park opened May 1, 1989.
    short and sweet...
    Day trips:
    WAAAAAY too many to count...

AKL Mar 7-9 One Year Anniversary!

Post Thanks / Like

In case no one has noticed , the theme of the entire park is Hollywood. Makes perfect sense to call it Disney's Hollywood Studios , since it is Disney's version of Hollywood.

MGM had no relevance anymore , and Pixar is way too limiting a name to attach to the park.

As far as the list of attractions is concerned , maybe it isn't electrifying news , but it does involve changes. The biggest gripe usually centers on the fact that the parks aren't offering enough new stuff. Well here it is , and it isn't a bad start. And at least there is one major attraction coming. Toy Story Mania is going to be much more than Buzz Lightyear II.
    IoA 's Spiderman technology is coming to Disney. This should be making a lot of people happy. Why can't we cut Meg Crofton some slack ?

" Everybody's got a laughin' place "

Steve

Trips to Walt Disney World : many !

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I've always called it "The Studios" anyway, so it's no big deal to me what comes after the hyphen. As for the new attractions, I agree that TSM is the only one that really fits into my definition of an "attraction," but a lot of people really like the shows and stuff the other lesser "attractions" are based on (not me, but others...) , so I have no problem with the press release. I think it does show that things are beginning to ramp up a bit. I DO wish they would actually make the place a real studio again.....but maybe, in time, they will.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    I know I am repeating myself, but this really seems to be the new Disney way. The marketing spin employed by Disney these days is so transparent it makes my stomach turn. They must really think the average Disney fan/guest is quite dumb.
    I agree! I'm all for Disney giving existing attractions an update if they need it, but I don't think they should be called "New attractions". As a parent of 2 older teens, I don't see anything new that would appeal to our family except perhaps the TSM. And to say that "This is easily one of the most ambitious attractions rollouts in the 18-year history of the park" seems ridiculous to me considering RRC, ToT & Fantasmic. Its good to stay on top of things, but don't over dramatize it. Still love Disney!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WeLuvBuzz View Post
    I probably would have preferred just Disney Studios or even Disney's Movie Kingdom to go with all the other kingdoms.
    I actually like Disney's Movie Kingdom.... How many non-Disney fans do you all know who think MGM is a working studio? How many non-Disney fans actually think MGM is not a Disney park??? I know a few, believe it or not..... I also have peopel tell me that they went to Universal, when it is actually MGM, or MGM when ot was actually Universal.... Get rid of the studios name and theme altogether, call ig Disney's Movie Kingdom, and slowly rebuild the park to resemble Hollywood, with the Chinese Theather being remade into El Capitan Theater, riding the buildings as a soundstage, and redesign their facade to look like Broadway style show buildings, design RNRC's facade to look like G-Force Records recordingh studo... after all, that is what it is when you enter the building, yet they theme the outside as a movie soundstage..... Tower of Terror can keep ther same storyline, since Hollywood needs a hotel where toruists stay.... Get rid of the street names as the sections of the park, and call them more name specific lands, such as Pixar Place... Maybe contract out with George Lucas for the rights to use Skywalker Ranch, build a new land centered around the ranch, with some rides based on Lucasfilm's properties.... Give the muppets their own land and call it Muppet Studios, where you can have a new 3D movie, ot the Great Muppet Movie Ride, and a kiddie ride or two along with a muppet play area for the kids.. There is so much potential.... and a huge budget to go along with it... But, in my opinion, the money spent would be well worth the return....

Think about it... the name MOVIE KINGDOM would be all encompassing....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

If they ever decided to spend that much money on those things, they would surely be building it on a different continent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    If they ever decided to spend that much money on those things, they would surely be building it on a different continent.
    Basically, doing what I stated would be like re-building the park, ground up... But the idea is nice, isn't it?
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WEDTOPIA View Post
    In case no one has noticed , the theme of the entire park is Hollywood. Makes perfect sense to call it Disney's Hollywood Studios , since it is Disney's version of Hollywood.

MGM had no relevance anymore , and Pixar is way too limiting a name to attach to the park.

As far as the list of attractions is concerned , maybe it isn't electrifying news , but it does involve changes. The biggest gripe usually centers on the fact that the parks aren't offering enough new stuff. Well here it is , and it isn't a bad start. And at least there is one major attraction coming. Toy Story Mania is going to be much more than Buzz Lightyear II.
    IoA 's Spiderman technology is coming to Disney. This should be making a lot of people happy. Why can't we cut Meg Crofton some slack ?

How is it that every time I read a long thread, I start formulating my thoughts...and WEDTOPIA has beaten me to the punch? Every time.

This is probably the most sound and rational post I've read on all this. I think Meg Crofton is being pro-active, something that has be sorely missing from the Studios up until now.
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Basically, doing what I stated would be like re-building the park, ground up... But the idea is nice, isn't it?
    Yes, it is a great idea, but Disney would never approve such a capital expenditure here. They consider the parks here to be "mature" and need only be "managed" to get the maximum amount of revenue out of them.

Post Thanks / Like

The name chance doesn't really bother me. It really doesn't make a difference what they change the name to, I'll be calling the park MGM for the rest of my natural life. I'm notoriously unable to adapt to name changes... anyone for a ride on the Wedway?
    First Trip- Oct 1978 (9 months old)
    Last Trip- Everett's Summer Vacation June '10
    Next Trip- Everett's 1st Food and Wine Oct '10
    Oct 4-6
    58 trips in between

Post Thanks / Like

Let's not forget the one massive difference between Buzz and TSM: the ever-changing experience. Remember that while Space Ranger Spin never changes, Toy Story Mania will adjust its difficulty based on the in-car experience for each team of Guests.

I've often told Guests that the two will be very similar, so it's not entirely unfounded.

As for the name change, it will definitely take getting used to. I personally wanted the name to be "The Disney-Hollywood Studios" simply to imply that they were still connected to one another rather than implying that the studios belong to the Disney entity. To me, that possessive usage makes all the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

The name change could take some getting used to but I think they could have come up with something far worse. As far as the new line up of attractions go, I'll try to keep an open mind. Toy Story Mania sounds promising but I would have liked to see a different movie used for the themeing. After all, it's getting to be an older movie and the new generation may not be all that familiar with it. I am glad that they are updating Playhouse Disney. Bear in the Big Blue house was the central theme and it's no longer on. I think most people with toddler's who watch Playhouse Disney will be happy with the changes.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I do like the new name,so much better than having Pixar in the name. But I'm sure I'll continue to refer to the park as 'MGM' for a very long time
    1981(FW) 1982(FW) 1983(FW) 1984(FW) 1985(FW)
    1986(FW) 1987(FW) 1989-2x(FW) 2004(ASMO)2008(CSR)

You can't just let it go...not even on your birthday.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: