Quantcast Disney's Hollywood Studios - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the new name. At least this give me a chance to get any last Disney MGM Studios "stuff" on our next trip, since we go before 2008.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    ...I've seen tons of quasi-official confirmation that it's going to be Disney-Pixar Studios.
    You know, after thinking about it, I wonder if Disney has decided to phase out the Pixar name?
    "This is easily one of the most ambitious attractions rollouts in the 18-year history of the park," Crofton said. "With so many great coming attractions, we are thrilled to be launching a Studios year unlike any other. Wrapped in a brand-new name...Disney's Hollywood Studios."
    I too agree that this statement is pretty sad. Not only that but it’s false. The addition of Tower of Terror alone was 10 times more ambitious than this.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FaithTrustPixieDust View Post
    I realize that my opinion is just another opinion, but I am very glad that none of the rumored corporate names are associated with this park. That reminds me of all the sports complexes and conference centers we have that change names every 5 years when a new company decides to fork over money for the endorsement. I am glad WDW rose above that. Hollywood is more of a timeless icon and invokes an image in our minds . . . . I think once we get used to it, this name is a far better choice than Pixar, ABC, or MGM.
    Well said. I think this name makes the most sense.
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Also, how lame a list of "new attractions" is that? TS Mania is the only one on the list that's actually an attraction. The rest are basically nothing changes they're making. I hate when they put together bogus lists like that to try and make it look like they're actually adding stuff to a park when they aren't.
    I don't think that it's lame. "Fans" are always complaining when they do nothing to reinvest in the parks. It seems to me that adding a new major attraction, adding a new parade AND finally re-doing an attraction in dire need of an update (Playhouse Disney on Stage) is pretty good. Not every announcement can (or should) be about a new E-Ticket. It's a bit hypocritical for us to complain about neglect of the parks, and then dismiss incremental changes simply because they're not blockbusters. And no, I'm not arguing that we should just simply accept whatever we can get, but I do think this shows a strong commitment to improving the park, and that shouldn't be simply dismissed as "nothing" changes.

As for the name, I too am a traditionalist and will likely call it "MGM" for awhile. But, frankly, what the heck does MGM have to do with Disney? The company we love is Disney, and in my opinion, we don't really need another, outside movie company on the marquee. As for the word "Hollywood" in the title, I have no problem with it (even if Disney is and always has been in Burbank, over the hills from Hollywood)!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LaDracul View Post
    I still would've preferred Walt Disney Studios.
    Me too. Completely. I think Walt Disney Studios sounds much better.

Quote Originally Posted by crazypoohbear View Post
    As for the name change...
    "a rose by any other name..."
    That's funny. I guess it'll be the same park...

Quote Originally Posted by crazypoohbear View Post
    2nd, the shopper in me is wondering... when I'm there in 2 1/2 weeks will everything that says MGM studios be on sale???
    I was thinking similar things to that, like, we'd better scoop up some of the MGM branded merchandise before it's gone forever.

So sad. I like MGM for the name. Disney's Hollywood Studios just sounds a bit off. But I agree, better than Disney-Pixar Studios, I would not have liked that.

It makes me really glad (even more so than before, if that's possible) that we're going back to Walt Disney World this year, before the changes. This is a year of a LOT of changes. Maybe it's always been like that but I'm just paying more attention to it now?
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I dont mind the name... but I'll always think of it as MGM.
    *julie*
    "a very merry unbirthday to you"
    2/86 OffSite,12/89 CBR, 3/00 OKW,5/02 POR, 2/03 BWV, 8/04 POFQ, 9/05 WL, 8/06 POR, 2/07 Wedding: BWI & GF, 5/07 YC, 7/07 AKL, 2/08 Contemp, 10/08 YC,12/08 GF, 4/09 DCL Magic/CBR, 7/09 POLY, 8/09 CSR, Next: 3/10 SSR

2/11/07: Our WDW Wedding!

Post Thanks / Like

It makes me really glad (even more so than before, if that's possible) that we're going back to Walt Disney World this year, before the changes. This is a year of a LOT of changes. Maybe it's always been like that but I'm just paying more attention to it now?[/QUOTE]

You might even say it's the Year of a Million Changes.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have preferred Walt Disney Studios, but the change doesn't bother me at all.I am going to stay posotive here and believe that WDW is heading in a positive direction and this is a step in that direction.
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

Post Thanks / Like

Post Studios

The new name kind of fits with the retro-Hollywood inspired theme of the park I guess. Doesn't bother me.

I have always called it "The Studios" because I remember when they used to make full-length animated movies there. I just wish they would do that some more so you could watch the process. That was cool.

Actually, I wish they would make full-length animated movies anywhere - just not on a computer.

Post Thanks / Like

Disney Holywood Studios...Disney-Pixar Studios...Disney Holywood Studios...Disney-Pixar Studios

one things for sure: Giants sounds better then Eagles (pshhhh southern jersey-ers)

ANYWAY- It took me a few years of my life to figure out what exactly MGM is, since you know its not Disney. So the change of names will make it more Disney-ified i guess, so im all for change, even though for the rest of my life i will refer to it as MGM.. eh it happends.

also the I dont like Disney-Pixar Studios... its too advertismenty and it feels like nothing else will be there except pixar. so goodbye tower of terror, because you weren't included in finding nemo!

Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Animal Kindom.... what do all those have in common? uhhh none of them have the word "Disney" in them. wich is why i'm not completely happy with Disney Holywood Studios. I think we get the point we're in Disney. However, i think it makes the most sence, so i will accept it for what it is.

i dont mind the new list of attractions, like someone said before me, just because theres no e-ticket doesnt mean anything. their updating the park little at a time and so what if something expedition everest-like isnt coming to MGM (or w/e you want to call it) in 2008, Disney is ever changing one step at a time and has always been like that and will always be like that.

my only request - lets get rid of the hat

in conclusion - i love disney, change is good, random hats blocking beautiful chinese theaters aren't, and goo giants!
    1991 - Fairway Villas, 1993 - Old Key West, 1995 - Yacht Club, 1997 - Fort Wilderness, 2003 - Fort Wilderness, 2004 - Contemporary, 2005 - Caribbean, 2007 - Polynesian, 2012 - Disneyland Paris, 2014 - Beach Club, 2015 - Beach Club
    2016 - Contemporary
    Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

Default Park Name

I wouldn't care if they called it Swinola if they'd work on adding real attractions to move past the half day most people seem to agree is the length of visit the park merits...

...and whoever suggested Toy Story Mania sounded like it was going to be 'Buzz 2' must have noticed the Dumbo clones in Adventure Land and AK.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no, now what abbreviation are we going to use for Dear Half Sister???

I like the name.
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessimagineer View Post
    Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Animal Kindom.... what do all those have in common? uhhh none of them have the word "Disney" in them.
    Actually, AK's official name is "Disney's Animal Kingdom."
    Jeff

sly1 Guest

Why is "Hollywood" going to be in the name? Its nowhere near Hollywood. It would make much more sense to name it Disney Studios or Walt Disney Studios. I agree with others that its nice to not have it corporate branded. I too get tired of stadiums and race tracks changing corporate branding names.

Post Thanks / Like

“In the Walt Disney World theme park famous for all things Hollywood, it's curtain up on the launch of new attractions, new looks, new breakthrough experiences...and a brand-new name. Disney-MGM Studios will be renamed Disney's Hollywood Studios, effective January 2008, announced Meg Crofton, president of Walt Disney World Resort.”
    Sent that to my Mom and Dad... and of course they said...
    I like that! Now we gotta go back again in '08!
    *~Amanda~*
    Next trip: WHENEVER I WANT!!! Moved to Tampa, FL in 2009, so now I'm less than an hour away from my happy place!
    I was made & born a Disney nut... was conceived in the Hilton by Downtown Disney, in July of 1984

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I think the name change is good. I am excited that Handy Manny will be added and that HSM2 will have a place. As a mom of a little boy (1) and a 6 year old girl (who is going on 16), those changes will fit right in for my family on our next vacation. We were there when they started the pep rally and my daughter still remembers doing the dance they teach at the end. She also thinks Troy is soooooo cute. We've always spent an entire day at this park and even though they aren't new ideas, I think they are good updates.
    2003 - Off site
    2004 - Jan PC, Mar ASM, June Off site
    2005 - Sept POR

2007 - Feb CBR
    2008-CS Conference & Family Vacation AKL
    2009 - Oct ASMo (just me and my little man)

Go Big Red!

Post Thanks / Like

It is going to be hard getting used to not calling it Disney MGM Studios anymore, but I like this name MUCH better than Disney-Pixar Studios. I hope there are more attractions coming to the park than on the list, but I am really excited about Toy Story Mania.
    Trips
    May 1996 - Polynesian Resort
    November 1999 - Polynesian Resort
    November 2003 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    January 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside
    June 2006 - OS
    January 2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    January 2007 - Disney Cruise Line
    January 2008 - Pop Century
    January 2009 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    "The new name reflects how the park has grown from representing the golden age of movies to a celebration of the new entertainment that today's Hollywood has to offer -- in music, television, movies and theater," Disney World President Meg Crofton stated in a news release.
    I so despise this kind of corporate marketing spin.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this similar to KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN turning into KFC ??? Or K-MART turning into BigK?

he he
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lacy View Post
    I couldn't agree more! When I saw that list of "new attractions" I thought this must be a joke. I'm still hoping Toy Story Mania will wow me but I think it sounds awful similar to Buzz.
    I can't agree more. I thought maybe I was the only who thought that TSM sounded just like 3-D Buzz. Heck, it even has the same movie at its root.
    Before Kids:
    Off-Site - September/91 & September/92

With Kids:
    Off-site - November/03 & September/05
    FREE DINING:
    POP Century - Aug/Sept/06 (w/ my parents)
    POP Century - Aug/Sept/07
    POP Century - Aug/Sept/08 (w/Bro's family)
    POP Century - Sept/09 (NO KIDS!!!!!)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: