Quantcast "Old" Epcot vs. "New" Epcot - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Which Epcot do you prefer?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer "Old" Epcot (roughly 1982-1996)

46 46.00%
  • I prefer "New" Epcot (roughly 1996-present)

22 22.00%
  • I like both the same

31 31.00%
  • I like neither

1 1.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to Epcot twice when it was EPCOT Center and twice it was Epcot. The first time was back in January of 1983. The second was in June of 1989.

I think that while Epcot still isn't perfect and it does take a lot of work to keep things current, I think the current incarnation is a good mix of old and new. A place like Epcot can get stale very fast. At least putting some educational thrill rides into the mix allows them to bring younger people into the park to experience things they may rather bypass.

One of the problems with a place like Epcot is the Imagineers have to be proactive in their upgrades. If not, you could have an attraction go stale and it take several years to get in a replacement. This can plainly be seen with The Wonders of Life.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I was there for the opening, still have the commemortive tickets. and I really miss the OLD EPCOT a lot, it is sad to see what they have deteriorated to over the past few years. So many of the corporate sponsor programs ran out stuff fell into disrepair. It is good to see they are doing some renovations now, but they have a long way to go and I hope they will get back to the basics and give us more pavillions like the originals and not just turn it into a thrill ride park, they have plenty of room for that kind of a park somewhere else.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it's just that I'm getting older but...

I vote for the old EPCOT!

The old version is closer to the way Walt had invisioned it to be. That is, one of the primary facilities of the park was to EDUCATE. A prime example of the current wayward vision can be found in Universe of Energy. This ride was much more interesting to me back then. I don't require the need to be "entertained through some cute storyline" Give me a ride like the one that you might see at a World's Fair! The dinosaurs in the current ride has almost NOTHING to do with the Ellen storyline... The pre-show of the old version, I think segued perfectly into the animatronic dinosaurs...

Post Thanks / Like

If anybody has ever seen the EPCOT video made by Walt Disney, the Disney property and EPCOT were to be a place for people to live and work. There was to be an airport with a monorail system taking people from the airport to the industrial area, EPCOT, and then up to the Magic Kingdom.

EPCOT was supposed to be the utopian city with a high density city center surrounded by apartments, then outside that was the green areas where the parks, churches and schools were located and then outside that was the low density housing. There were to be no cars above ground, on the WEDWay Peoplemovers and the monorail. All traffic would be underground.

When Disney died, the idea of EPCOT was scrapped until the mid 1970s when the idea was revamped into the Epcot Center theme park. This was then conceived as an ever evolving theme park in the guise of a World's Fair.

The fact that they add and subtract attractions is basically the heart of the Epcot concept as it was developed in the 1970s.

Nostalgia is what drives people to like the old one over the new one. Excitment is what drives most people to like the new one over the old one.

What will people say in a few decades when it is in its third incarnation?

Post Thanks / Like

I like the "old" EPCOT best. Outside of Soarin' I think they have really been going backward the last several years. I loved the old Journey into Imagination, Horizons and Wonders of Life (especially Cranium Command). I still like EPCOT, just not quite as much.
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

"Old" Epcot.... Center.....
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrmGrninGost View Post
    I like the "old" EPCOT best. Outside of Soarin' I think they have really been going backward the last several years. I loved the old Journey into Imagination, Horizons and Wonders of Life (especially Cranium Command). I still like EPCOT, just not quite as much.
    How can they be going backwards with Misson:Space and Test Track and be going forwards with Soarin'? The first two actually are more along the lines of the Science-Furture theme of Epcot. Soarin' doesn't fit as well in future world as it would somewhere else, IMHO. And how is it that so many people loved Horizons and Kitchen Kaberet? Those places are what kept so many people from coming back to Epcot - it made it seem corny and dull.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly the older EPCOT attractions had their flaws. Horizons, in particular, was already showing its age by the time it closed in 1999, and its vision of a future in which everybody wore jumpsuits was becoming somewhat farcical. However, Horizons and other EPCOT dark rides were also incredibly evocative, not only because of their excellent craftsmanship and rich details but because they aspired to provide more substantial experiences than the average 5-minute thrill ride.

Many of the attractions could have been modified to create a greater sense of reality and excitement for visitors, rather than being gutted for technologically advanced but aesthetically sterile thrill rides. At the very least, Disney could have set up some professional movie cameras and filmed these attractions in their entirety, so that future generations could have a clearer sense of what these rides were. Instead, all that remains are mostly photographs, fading memories, and subpar home videos.

Nevertheless, we should probably appreciate what the park has to offer, and keep looking toward the future, but never forget the past. As long as there are people willing to look beyond the surface, EPCOT has the potential to be more than a "theme park," more than another diversion -- rides can thrill and entertain, but they can also further enrich one's understanding of aesthetics and the world, and hopefully motivate people to improve life in this universe.

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the old EPCOT the best. It is ashame Disney is going back to luring guests with thrill rides in the one park that seemed to be a bar above that.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

ive only seen the new epcot and from what ive seen i like it. but from what all the good stuff I have heard from the old epcot I think i would like it more if i would have saw it.
    Taylor

been over 10 times and aint stoppin.

Post Thanks / Like

Epcot's Future World of old was a park where a family could go and enjoy the rides together.

Today little ones can enjoy only a fraction of the rides. Kitchen Cabaret and Food Rocks are gone. TT , MS & Soarin don't cater to younger ones. Basically, if your a family with young kids FW has very little to offer since Universe of Energy & Honey I Shrunk the Audience scare a lot of the kids. That leaves Living with the Land, SE and the Seas pavilion for a family with little ones to enjoy.

Since a good portion of WDW's annual attendance is families, many of which include young children I don't like the trend over the past 10 -15 years where almost all rides that are being added are thrill rides. What happened to dark rides that the whole family can enjoy?
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody has to remember that, for as much as nostalgia plays when questions are asked about Epcot, everything boils down to one thing -- attendence. For a while, Epcot had very low attendence. So, Disney gave people what they wanted, the thrill ride.

Now, they did it within the confines of educating people but it still added some action to what could have been seen to things that were very stale and, for many, boring.

I am glad they added Test Track and Mission: Space. I have not yet seen Soarin' but I am sure it is another crowd drawing ride.

Also, these thrill rides are family thrill rides. Even Mission: Space has created a lesser version of their ride so families can ride. Test Track is a pretty tame, albiet exciting, ride that families can go together.

It isn't like Disney is adding rides that are for those who can handle a 400' tall roller coaster like Top Fuel Dragster or Kingda Ka.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm partial to the "old" Epcot

though I do love Test Track. I miss the old "Journey into Imagination" and "Kitchen Caberet"

Give me a ride like the one that you might see at a World's Fair! The dinosaurs in the current ride has almost NOTHING to do with the Ellen storyline... The pre-show of the old version, I think segued perfectly into the animatronic dinosaurs...
    ITA - I liked the "World's Fair" feel of the Old Epcot Center.
    Susan

'98 Villas
    '91 Polynesian
    '89 Port Orleans
    '87 Grand Floridian
    '77 Polynesian
    '76 Outside WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Of course I'm going to say the "old" Epcot Center. I still have many great memories of my first two trips in the 80s. I'm happy with some of the improvements, not happy with others, but have to choose old over new. Now that the wand is gone, it is nice to see a little "old" come back to Epcot.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

I wish there was a way to rebuild "old" Epcot alongside of its new counterpart. I love Test Track and Soarin, and the Nemo theme for the Living Seas is adorable. However-- Epcot just isn't the same without the pre-rehab version of SSE, the old JII, Horizons, World of Motion, and Kitchen Kabaret/Food Rocks.

Epcot is, and always has been, my favorite park though--regardless of the changes!

Soarin' to tower: We are ready for takeoff!

1986 - Royal Plaza
    1987 - Disney Inn (Now SOG)
    1990 - CR
    1993 - POFQ
    1994, 1997 - Travelodge (now Best Western LBV)
    2001, 2002 - WL
    2004 - GF
    2007 - POR
    2008 - CSR
    2009 - Pop/Poly
    2010 - VWL
    2011 - Cruise on the Dream

Post Thanks / Like

I like the New Epcot mainly for the new rides. TT and MS are my favorite rides there, and the new Figment attraction is much better than the old.( They could Put Dreamfinder back in, though, and the Living Seas was better as it was.)
    1995-ASSp, 2000-offsite, 2001-ASMo, 2002-WL, 2003-ASmo-POR-Poly, 2004-Pop, 2005-CS,Pop,CBR, 2006-WL,Pop, 2007-POR, 2008-Ctp

Beam me up, Scotty!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mttafire View Post
    I prefer the new. Im 37 so i know both old and new EPCOT. I am a firm believer of "change is good". Keep looking AHEAD.
    Change isn't automatically good. Change is simply change.
    PROGRESS is good.
    And not every change that has been made at EPCOT over the years has been progress.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

There was much to love about old Epcot.....and much to love in the New Epcot. The only way I would never not like it is if they took away SSE. I am sad my kids do not get to see some of the things I did...and I really enjoyed the old figment ride better (or was it just because I was younger??) however now I love Soarin and MS....my kids love TT. I have no problem with change and love seing new things everytime we go.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read that EPCOT Center may be brought back for the 25th anniversary. I hope it's true.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: