Quantcast Pin Hawks...for shame... - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll add my sympathy for the bad experiences -- I've had a few as well, and I've encountered some gun-shy CMs who expected me to be "one of THEM." They are pleasantly surprised when I'm polite, smiling, and make actual eye contact instead of staring at or yanking on their lanyards. It is astonishing how people behave sometimes.

In regards to wearing pins you don't wish to trade on a lanyard... Inasmuch as there is an "official pin trading" etiquette, culture, or process, good pin traders (by which I specifically mean people who are NOT hawks, sharks, or just rude) most often tend to follow the same rules the CMs follow. That is, pins you are wearing on a lanyard are fair game for trade, and pins that are not fair game for trade are not worn on a lanyard.

On the one hand, obviously it's pointless to be offended if someone else isn't following the same rules you're following (welcome to life), but in defense of sincere traders, you do confuse us if you're wearing a lanyard with pins you won't trade. On the other hand, this is why humans have language -- so we can (*gasp*) TALK to each other when we're not sure.

The way it's *supposed* to work is like this. I see you have a lanyard, and I'd like to take a closer look. So I go up to you, smile brightly, and say, "may I see your pins?" And you smile back and say "sure!" and hold them out for me so I can easily see them without having to invade your personal space. And if you're not trading, this is a perfect time to say, "I'm sorry, but I'm not trading today. I just wanted to wear some of my favorite pins." At which point I can say something like, "oh, okay. Thanks for showing them to me," or, "wow, I've been looking for that one forever because X is my favorite character in the world. Are you sure I couldn't convince you to trade?" And we can have a conversation and be civilized about it. What a concept!!!

If you're not up for that, or more to the point, if you're not up for how it often goes worse than that, your best bet is to choose some other display method for your pins -- a vest, a jacket, a hat, your shirt collar, or whatever. While there are people who trade from hats or vests, the widely-recognized sign of a trader is a lanyard. If you're wearing pins on a lanyard, people are going to assume you're willing to trade.
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

TracyL,
    Thanks for your well-worded post. That is my sentiments exactly about the lanyard-means-trading in my understanding. I totally understand wanting to wear pins you like but don't want to trade, but it would help avoid confusion and frustration if those were worn on some other part of your person, and save the lanyard for a "I am ready to trade!" message!

Thanks, everyone, for validating my frustration and for reminding me of all the kind traders out there. If only we had a way to identify each other.... LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TracyL View Post
    I'll add my sympathy for the bad experiences -- I've had a few as well, and I've encountered some gun-shy CMs who expected me to be "one of THEM." They are pleasantly surprised when I'm polite, smiling, and make actual eye contact instead of staring at or yanking on their lanyards. It is astonishing how people behave sometimes.

In regards to wearing pins you don't wish to trade on a lanyard... Inasmuch as there is an "official pin trading" etiquette, culture, or process, good pin traders (by which I specifically mean people who are NOT hawks, sharks, or just rude) most often tend to follow the same rules the CMs follow. That is, pins you are wearing on a lanyard are fair game for trade, and pins that are not fair game for trade are not worn on a lanyard.

On the one hand, obviously it's pointless to be offended if someone else isn't following the same rules you're following (welcome to life), but in defense of sincere traders, you do confuse us if you're wearing a lanyard with pins you won't trade. On the other hand, this is why humans have language -- so we can (*gasp*) TALK to each other when we're not sure.

The way it's *supposed* to work is like this. I see you have a lanyard, and I'd like to take a closer look. So I go up to you, smile brightly, and say, "may I see your pins?" And you smile back and say "sure!" and hold them out for me so I can easily see them without having to invade your personal space. And if you're not trading, this is a perfect time to say, "I'm sorry, but I'm not trading today. I just wanted to wear some of my favorite pins." At which point I can say something like, "oh, okay. Thanks for showing them to me," or, "wow, I've been looking for that one forever because X is my favorite character in the world. Are you sure I couldn't convince you to trade?" And we can have a conversation and be civilized about it. What a concept!!!

If you're not up for that, or more to the point, if you're not up for how it often goes worse than that, your best bet is to choose some other display method for your pins -- a vest, a jacket, a hat, your shirt collar, or whatever. While there are people who trade from hats or vests, the widely-recognized sign of a trader is a lanyard. If you're wearing pins on a lanyard, people are going to assume you're willing to trade.

I was prompted to read the pin trading ettiquette posted here at Intercot, and I can find no reference to it being bad form to wear pins if you are not a trader, on a lanyard or any other place.

I certainly wouldn't respond rudely to anyone who approached me with an invitation to trade - I just find the sentiment that you are not playing by the rules if you wear pins but don't trade - a bit extreme.

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997

Post Thanks / Like

The PURPOSE of the lanyards and pins are for trading. That is why they are all sold in "The Trading Post" or "Pin Traders". You're right that there is no specific law, but it's inherent in the entire system built. On the walls of the shops, they show a list of "how to trade", and show people holding their lanyards out for others, etc. Disney would never deign to say you HAVE to trade from your lanyard, but that is what it was designed for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
    The PURPOSE of the lanyards and pins are for trading. That is why they are all sold in "The Trading Post" or "Pin Traders". You're right that there is no specific law, but it's inherent in the entire system built. On the walls of the shops, they show a list of "how to trade", and show people holding their lanyards out for others, etc. Disney would never deign to say you HAVE to trade from your lanyard, but that is what it was designed for.
    I don't know that that is necessarily so - I purchased a lanyard that is meant to carry park passes and other forms of ID.

I understand that people who are into trading view the lanyard as a shorthand invitation to trade. As I said in my first response in this thread, instead of being offended by people who wear their pins and refuse to trade, perhaps understand that there is a fairly good sized demographic (albeit by my guess) who aren't into trading and are really not interested in being instructed in the "rules" of a culture or hobby they are not participating in. Pin trading etiquette governs trading, not pin collecting.

BTW...I always purchase my pins. I don't recall a CM ever telling me that pins are intended chiefly for trading purposes.

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a huge pin trader, but I have a very specific collection of "Mickey all by himself" pins that I have collected, and cherish. I wear my lanyard like I would a watch or a necklace, and do not trade from it. That said, I also carry some "trading" pins that I will gladly exchange with anyone who wants them (I don't care about the financials -- just the sentimentals ) . When people ask to look at my pins, I always explain my collection, and show them the pins I have for trading... and I would never enter into a discussion with a hawk (I usually chat with the kids) I guess I'm more of a pin purchaser.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: