Quantcast New York's World of Disney Store Day Trip

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default New York's World of Disney Store Day Trip

We paln on taking a day trip up to the World of Disney store next month. My question is this. Does anyone have any favorite places to go eat that are close by the store? There are soooo many places in New York to eat that we didn't know where to start last time we went. I thought I would ask here. I hope this Mousellaneous category is ok for the question. Thanks everyone !

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

One option if the weather is nice is to go to a deli and get a sandwich and take it into Central Park, only 4 blocks away from the Disney Store.

I'm not too familiar with the restaurants in that immediate area. More people will come along with ideas though. I'm sure of it.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

As you said there are SO many great restaurants in the city. What I usually do when I'm up there is go eat in the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle, they have some cute restaurants, but they can be quite expensive. I agree that your best bet would be to get take out, whether it be Chipotle, a sandwich, or anything like that and eat in in Central Park. What can be better than that?
    Dream Jobs: CEO of Disney, Monorail Operator, Disney World travel agent/tour guide

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do then by the things you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover. --Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember correctly, Serendipity wasn't too far from the World of Disney store. We got there and got in line for it about a half hour before it opened and once it opened, we got right in. The food is pretty good, and the frozen hot chocolate was to die for. If you like peanut butter, the the chocolate peanut butter frozen hot chocolate. YUMMY!!!
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some recommendations:
    • Jekyll & Hyde Club: I think of this place as the Adventurer's Club "North." It has people playing roles, animatronics, etc. It's located on Sixth just north of 57th St
    • Serendipity 3: yes, this is the restaurant from the Meg Ryan movie ... but it was around way before the script was written. It's a good walk from the WoD store at 225 E 60th (between 2nd and 3rd) but worth it. Best known for its frozen hot chocolate, it also has a full menu in a unique setting. (To avoid the wait, you can make reservations.)
    • NY Deli: Stage Deli (834 Seventh between 53rd and 54th) or the Carnegie Deli (854 Seventh at 55th)
    • Greek: Molyvos (871 Seventh between 5th and 6th)
    • Cuban: Margon (136 W 46th between 6th and 7th). Okay, the place is a dive but the food is really, really good. You don't say when if you're planning your trip for a weekday or a weekend. On the weekdays, this place is super crowded but worth it.
    • Brazilian: Churrascaria Plataforma (316 W 49th between 8th and 9th). Do you like how they bring around the meats at 'Ohana? This kind of restaurant is just like that (but better). It's not a cheap experience by any means (lunch is $32.95 and dinner $54.95 per person) but you don't walk out of here... you tend to roll out of here. The food is plentiful and wonderful and not a place to go if you're dieting... unless you're on Atkins.

That said, I'd recommend heading down to Grand Central Station. If you like seafood, there's always the Oyster Bar (closed on Sundays) which has been around forever. But with the renovation that finished a few years ago, they put in a kind of glorified food court. It has all kinds of counter-service choices and a few table service places as well. They've really pulled in a lot of restaurants that far flung here in the City, into one location, such as Junior's (the best cheesecake), Two Boots (jambalaya, po-boy sandwiches, Cajun-Italian pizza), the Little Pie Company, and Golden Krust Patties (Caribbean empanadas for the adventurous).

If you have time before your shopping expedition to the WoD, you might want to spend some time exploring the Sony Wonder Technology Lab located at 56th and Madison.

Hope that helps!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I was waiting for you, ElenitaB! I knew you'd have some ideas!
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you, thank you.

Holy cow these are great suggestions ! Many thanks to everyone (ElentiaB gets special kudos). The few guide books I have and even the net usually rank things by price or alphabetically or 4 stars etc. But I was looking for...."What's close to the store?" Couldn't seem to find that sort of ranking, but you guys...man, thats why I keep coming back to this site. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely go with Serendipity 3. It's a tourist trap, like most of the restaurants in the area, but the food is actually GOOD and fresh. The ice cream is to DIE for, not to mention their FAMOUS Frozzzzen Hot Chocolate (even better when you have peanut butter added)!

The place is small and crowded, but charming nonetheless. YOU DEFINITELY WANT TO MAKE RESERVATIONS! Around the holidays, dinner books up two weeks ahead of time (ridiculous if you ask me).

Jekyll and Hyde club (make sure you go to the one @ Ave. of the Americas and 57th and NOT the one in the Village - that would be a hike!) is pretty good too. High on the entertainment scale, low on the food. It makes Planet Hollywood look gourmet. The food used to be a lot better here, but has gone down hill. It's not disgusting, but I wouldn't call it a great meal either - especially for what they charge ($$$). However, the theming here is REALLY GREAT. Perfect for Halloween time. I think they only take reservations for large groups. If it is crowded, they form a line outside.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip!

Also, in case you haven't ever been to the World of Disney Store, look around and ask if they have any activities to do. One time a cast member insisted that my mom and I do their pin scavenger hunt. We completed it and got two free pins each (they were traded cast members, but still free )
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my plug for Scandinavian food.

Aquavit at 65 E. 55th. 1-1/2 Ave. blocks away between Park and Madison.
    Jeff

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: