Quantcast Dissapointed w/ HM holiday version - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: HM holiday version awesome or lame

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Holiday version was awesome

26 83.87%
  • Holiday version was lame

5 16.13%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Usually takes about 3 weeks to put up and 2-3 weeks to take down which puts you into Thanksgiving. The staff is also trying that first week of Nov to take down two parks of Halloween decorations, putting up Christmas decorations and putting the Small World overlay on. Also possibly this castle show we've seen pictures of.

Taking everything down in the month of January is a very slow time in the park. So people don't mind those two rides down for 2-3 weeks. And since the parks close early those weeks, they can do it after hours.

Adding also that they normally film the Christmas Day parade the 2nd weekend in November. So it is a very busy time for staff.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chescat View Post

What rides people choose are up to their own preferences and that's cool. I choice not to go on Star Wars because it makes me The Mansion seems to be the most crowded during the overlay period of time. They even have to have a fast pass machine for it (that's even the down times during those months).
    Star Wars used to do that to me too, all the time. In fact, I could never ride Space Mt. and Star Wars one right after the other. Then one time I happened to have some chewable Bonine left over from a little harbor cruise that I took. I brought it to DL with me because I knew my sis was going to want to ride Star Tours and I really wanted to do it too. So I chewed a tablet before we got in line and I had no problems at all! It really works for motion sickness.

For some reason Star Wars doesn't make me nauseous anymore, I don't know why. Indy usually gives me a headache though. But I do it anyway and just take some ibroprophen after.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Having seen both the original and the overlay, I would say that the overlay is a very special experience. Nightmare Before Christmas is not one of my favorite movies (although I have seen it) and so I was surprised at how wonderfully it dresses up the Haunted Mansion. In fact, the first time I was at the Haunted Mansion with my husband and son was in the middle of summer, so we saw the regular version. When I went back in the Fall with some friends and saw it with the overlay, I was disappointed that my husband and son didn't get to see it that way, because they would have loved it.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen the holiday version of Haunted Mansion, but it looks great! Too bad we dont have that here in Florida, I liked the Disneyland version of the HM better than the (post-refurb) MK mansion.
    Chris
    "WDWizard"

Last Trip: Disney's Hollywood Studios/Blizzard Beach June 2008

Next Trip: Not anytime soon. Been there, seen it all, have too many t-shirts.

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE Haunted Mansion Holiday. It's amazing how colorful and detailed it is. Of course, I'll always love the original the most, but to have it different a few months out of the year is just fine with me!
    Trips to WDW:
    March 2007 Disney's All Star Movies
    Sept/Oct. 2007 Disney's Port Orlean's Riverside
    Dec. 2008 Pop Century
    April/May 2010 Polynesian

**Countless trips to the Disneyland Resort**

Post Thanks / Like

I have not yet seen the HMH so I'm not voting but I wanted to add my I think it is a very cool thing that they do at DL. DH & I are visiting DLR in Dec this year and the primary purpose of the trip is to see the holiday version of the HM. I'm glad to hear that it is not just adding a few characters here and there but is like its own attraction. I've purposely tried not to learn too much about the HMH so I will be surprised when I see it in person. DH is a Tim Burton fan so he was excited when I told him about it and even willing to plan an extra Disney trip this year for it!

Interesting discussion....and I can see what people are saying about first time visitors possibly being disappointed but I think it would be cool to say that I got to see something that isn't always there. Plus, there are plenty of attractions in their original form.
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Post Thanks / Like

Default the movie vs. the ride

I hated the movie but I love the overlay. I really enjoy every aspect of HMH, and HM and love to ride them both. I'm looking forward to seeing it again this year.
    Susy the Groomer
    Snohomish, WA

Can we go again? Can we go again?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    ...the first time I was at the Haunted Mansion with my husband and son was in the middle of summer, so we saw the regular version. When I went back in the Fall with some friends and saw it with the overlay, I was disappointed that my husband and son didn't get to see it that way, because they would have loved it.
    I actually had the opposite problem. My husband and I went a couple of weeks ago - it was his first time at ANY Disney Park (gasp!) - and the HM was decorated for the season.

Obviously, he hadn't been on the ride before and he had never seen the Nighmare Before Chirstmas movie - so was just very confused by the whole ride. I was so disappointed that he couldn't have seen the regular version of HM first, to be able to understand the theme and concept of it, before seeing it decorated for the holidays.

I personally was neither here nor there on the decorations. I'm not a huge fan of the movie, but I do appreciate all the work that must go into completely transforming the ride every year. It is very well done.
    Adults are only kids grown up...

March 2013 - Beach Club
    October 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    September 2009 - Contemporary
    February 2009 - Yacht Club
    April 2008 - Contemporary/Grand Floridian
    October 2007 - DLR - GC -Honeymoon trip!
    March 2007 - Poly
    February 2006 - DLR - Grand Californian

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

I love HMH and the Original.

I think anyone who judges it without riding it is being silly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDisney View Post
    I love HMH and the Original.

I think anyone who judges it without riding it is being silly.
    Or maybe they just want to choose to spend time on a ride that they know about! Some people don't have much time at DL and need to judge for themselves what they want to miss. If someone "judges" that they are not interested in riding NBC and may not like it and they would rather spend time on another ride, what is silly about that? It's actually a very smart thing to do, especially for people who don't have the time or money for mulitpule days. Maybe someone who does that will be missing something that they would really love, maybe not, but it is their decision to make. No one has to do something, try something, or has to like everything or keep on open mind. Nothing wrong with not trying the ride if they don't think they would like it. People can have likes and dislikes and it's not a personal thing against something. It's not "judging" the ride. Doesn't make them silly or judgemental.

Thinking that a ride can be "judged" or can have prejudice against it, as a person can, is a little silly, imho. It's nothing personal. It's just a ride. It has no feelings.

It's just like if you want to see one movie over the other, that's all. You don't sample the one you think you might not like just to find out about it before you "judge" it. You choose to not see one you think you might not like and go to see one you think you will.
    Last edited by Disney Babe; 11-09-2007 at 05:09 PM. Reason: added and subtracted a few words.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."

Walt Disney

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess we were raised differently.

My parents never let us pre-judge anything. I wasn't allowed to skip the Brussel Sprouts by saying "I didn't like them" or "I wouldn't enjoy them" without first trying them.

But that's just me I guess...

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I think we have now come to the conclusion that:

1. You have the right to judge any ride you like, whether or not you ride it. We live in America and although going to Disneyland isn't a legal right, liking or not liking attractions is your personal choice.

2. Some people were raised to believe trying something before judging is the best course of action.

Let's move back to the topic, "Disappointed with Haunted Mansion" please.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been on the Haunted Mansion Holiday each year that it's appeared, and I still think the 2nd year was the best.

That's one of things that I like about it though, is that each year it's a little different. It's cool to see what changes they've made compared to the previous years.

I have to admit that I really miss Constance the kooky psycho bride in the attic and the floating Leota, but I really enjoy the extremely clever narration of the Holiday version. I'd love to get that on a CD.
    Jane

M A S E C A !

Team Billy - "I'm OK!"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: