Quantcast DVC Contemporary Resort - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm very american...but of the kind that doesn't think we've reached the pinnacle of life on earth just yet and could use a good deal of improvement both as individuals and a society...
    So i'm measured, inquisitive, and skeptical...as all americans should be (that is in my opinion...of course)
    I may be wrong but the last time I looked this thread was supposed to be about the DVC at the Contemporary Resort.

JT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    ...animal kingdom is much better than wilderness lodge or the poly as far as what they offer to the guest...
    ...but you have to beat people away from those places...
    But again ... that's just your opinion.

One I totally disagree with, by the way. I'd stay at WL or Poly any day over Animal Kingdom Lodge.

It's just a matter of different tastes and what matters to you as an individual. I think it's just that Disney mis-judged the appeal of that resort to the masses.

I still fail to see how the whole "American" aspect entered into the equation.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    But again ... that's just your opinion.

One I totally disagree with, by the way. I'd stay at WL or Poly any day over Animal Kingdom Lodge.

It's just a matter of different tastes and what matters to you as an individual. I think it's just that Disney mis-judged the appeal of that resort to the masses.

I still fail to see how the whole "American" aspect entered into the equation.
    Of couse it's an opinion...that was the point.

But the history of AKL and AK for that matter being an extremely difficult sell is not....

The park is probably due to cutting corners (presslering it...as i say)...the lodge is the one that is puzzling...there's no reason why it shouldn't have more demand than the least of the deluxes...and it is firmly entrenched in that spot....

I just think it is an example of the types of travelers who frequent WDW....and I am one of them...so I'm not meaning to insult...

But WDW isn't for everyone...nor has it ever been...and alot of the reasons for that is largely due to economics and subsequently personal values....

Take it for what it's worth...just something I have noticed as a child, teen, and adult...a traveler, and worker, a traveler again....now soon to be a family person who actually got married in EPCOT and purchased DVC basically because it didn't make sense to not purchase it based on our frequency of travel.

So back to the questions about why I brought the americans into the discussion...I have to apologize and clarify...

It's not all americans...it's really the types that frequent WDW that I point to as to the struggles of AKL.....

It is a theory...but one that has been observed for awhile now (many people probably think much less than in the day to day lives when they are on vacation at WDW...I'm completely the opposite...being facinated by demographics, trends, and especially the techincal and marketing characteristics of each new addtion)

Full circle...the reason why I mentioned the hard sell of AKV in this thread is that i think they will be very deliberate in making AKV the prime sales location exclusively for a long period of time. the appeal of that location almost necessitates it....

Contemporary would completely torpedo that...though, in my opinion, it shouldn't...

AKV will be a harder sale...contemporary will not....and based on the probable point per night charges with the two.....that is completely ackwards from what it should be....

Just a hunch...seen through the looking glass.

So I don't think they'll be dishing out contemp contracts anytime soon...they've got a ton of units to sell "all the way out" under that "ugly thatched hut" (frequent comments at AKL since day one)...and a new concrete slab next to MK isn't going to make that any easier....unless they play one location off against the other with incentives...which is a strong possibility.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of comments. First, I see the same comments being made about AKLV that were made about SSR when it first started to sell. I seem to remember a time in the history of SSR when people said, "It's not selling well" or "it's so big who would want to buy there?" or "It's too far away from the parks,"etc. It must have sold well or they wouldn't be building the last "optional" phase. And I believe that AKLV will sell. Second, when I bought at SSR, there were still points available at VWL and BWV. We loved those resorts, but wanted the 50 years offered by SSR. My final point being, that just because DVD may announce a DVC resort at CR, doesn't mean that people will stop buying at AKLV. I agree that the points at a CRV will likely be more expensive and some people may not opt for more expense, so will buy at AKLV. Now for my question, I thought the proposed tower was for 7 floors. The drawings and pictures and those imfamouse () blue prints that showed up on line for a few hours a year or two back didn't show anything that would rival the current tower in height.??? (not exactly a question).
    TTFN,
    Brenda

1/90 off site
    12/94 Villas at Disney Institute
    12/97 off site
    2/99 Carribean Beach
    7/02 Polynesian
    4/03, 11/03 Wilderness Lodge
    9/04, 11/05, 6/07 1/09 VWL
    12/04, 12/07 SSR
    4/05 Contemporary Resort
    7/06, 4/07 ASMu
    11/06 BCV
    6/08 OKW

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by btuskan View Post
    I have a couple of comments. First, I see the same comments being made about AKLV that were made about SSR when it first started to sell. I seem to remember a time in the history of SSR when people said, "It's not selling well" or "it's so big who would want to buy there?" or "It's too far away from the parks,"etc. It must have sold well or they wouldn't be building the last "optional" phase. And I believe that AKLV will sell. Second, when I bought at SSR, there were still points available at VWL and BWV. We loved those resorts, but wanted the 50 years offered by SSR. My final point being, that just because DVD may announce a DVC resort at CR, doesn't mean that people will stop buying at AKLV. I agree that the points at a CRV will likely be more expensive and some people may not opt for more expense, so will buy at AKLV. Now for my question, I thought the proposed tower was for 7 floors. The drawings and pictures and those imfamouse () blue prints that showed up on line for a few hours a year or two back didn't show anything that would rival the current tower in height.??? (not exactly a question).
    I'm mostly on the same page with you...except i strongly disagree that a contemp location would not negatively impact AKL sales....
    It's simply a different game when you're talking about a spot on the monorail....and AKL is probably the least in demand resort location of the deluxe category...

The combination of the two factors could be a mess for AKV sales....

I think they will wait...unless sales of AKV go very quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that they will wait. They will wait until SSR is sold out and the time when they can legally sell ownership interests in CRV. By that time, AKV sales will be even further along. AKV will always appeal many people. That is our home resort, and we can't wait. We are also looking forward to Kidani. It will be a wonderful resort and a destination in itself when completed.

CRV will likely slow sales at AKV, that is true. But by the time they announce, if reports from AKV guests continue to be primarily positive, ALV will continue to sell.

It would be interesting to hear what history shows happens when a new DVC resort is announced while another is still selling. Did AKV sales hurt SSR. dID ssr hurt V WL, BCV, or BWV? What happend to OKW sales after the next resort was announced? It would be interesting to see.

But the truth is everyone should buy where they want to stay and where they want that 11 month window!
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

Post Thanks / Like

As for AKV being a hard sell...

Why it would ever be a hard sell is beyond me. Talk about unique among vacation properties. How many others anywhere can boast zebra and giraffe views out your balcony while you sip your morning coffee?

We bought into AKV and would have bought into NO OTHER DVC property, period. Don't like any of the others well enough to make them a yearly vacation but AKV... no doubt. I could go there every couple months and never feel bored. It is a world unto itself and a nice respite from the hussle and bussle of WDW. A nice retreat after a long day in the parks. Plus, it is our favorite resort for eating. Even the counter service is great.
    My 3 favorite parts of the EPCOT Food and Wine Festival.. the food, the wine, and the festival!!

Jambo!! AKV Owners as of Oct '07

Most Recent Visits:
    CR/OKW/POR Nov 2006
    AKL Dec 2006 and Jan 2007
    AKL/CR Oct 2007
    Future visits:
    AKV/OKW Dec 2007
    AKV May and Sept/Oct 2008

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WheresWalt View Post

Why it would ever be a hard sell is beyond me. Talk about unique among vacation properties. How many others anywhere can boast zebra and giraffe views out your balcony while you sip your morning coffee?

We bought into AKV and would have bought into NO OTHER DVC property, period. Don't like any of the others well enough to make them a yearly vacation but AKV... no doubt. I could go there every couple months and never feel bored. It is a world unto itself and a nice respite from the hussle and bussle of WDW. A nice retreat after a long day in the parks. Plus, it is our favorite resort for eating. Even the counter service is great.
    I agree with you...but the reality is that AKL has never been a good selling resort as compared to the others....and they significantly decreased the rack rate rooms after the first year...

It is often the last choice of many....that's just how it has been...

Those who don't try it are missing out...but yet they still stay away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WheresWalt View Post

that is why we bought it as our home resort.

Post Thanks / Like

My parents were in WDW last week and ate at the Concourse Steakhouse and the cast memeber that worked there said that the new building is going to be a new DVC when asked about the new renovations. She also added that they want the new shop to open on the 4th floor by end of Nov, just in time for the holiday season.
    If you can dream it you can do it!!!

01,02,03,04,05 x3 (plus Disneyland),06,08,10,11,12

Been there done that going back!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: