Quantcast Patriots and Running Up the Score

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Patriots and Running Up the Score

You know it really pains me to say this, because I've actually been a pretty big fan of both Tom Brady and Bill Belichek over the years. I've always admired the way they conduct their business up there, their dedication to excellence, and (of course) their success.

But this year man ... I don't know what's going on. Starting with the whole cheating scandal and the way Belichek handled that and now with this whole running up the score thing.

I mean there's a definite unwritten rule in the NFL that you DO NOT run up the score. Ever. Under any circumstances. Yet yesterday, in the 4th quarter, when they were up by nearly 40 points on the 'Skins and pitching a shutout, Belichek has Brady passing all over the place.

There was no doubt he was trying to score more points. That's just totally inexcuseable in my book. Very classless.

To me, it almost invalidates all the records and everything they're going to set this year because there's a reason no other team put up these kinds of numbers ... they had respect for their opponents.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is in response to the cheating scandal. It's Belichek making a statement saying look how good we are we don't need to cheat we can score at will. I will admit it's very classless and eventually another team will get fed and start taking cheap shots at Brady or another star knocking them out of the game or season.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with Ian & JPL's posts. I have a hard time respecting anyone in that organization at this point. Many will say (in regards to the cheating scandal) that "everyone does it". So just because "everyone does it", that makes it okay? I don't think the whole cheating thing was the issue...they are just mad that they got caught and are now trying to show how "superior" they are above everyone else in the NFL. I think the way the Redskins game was handled showed a complete lack of class. When you're that far ahead, why not rest your starters and give some of the 2nd & 3rd string guys a chance to play. Giving them experience would serve the TEAM better in the long run. The whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

As a coach, I can some what see the point of the other team's defense having to stop you. That being said, I do not agree with that fake kill the clock play which they have run two weeks in a row. I had always respected the Pats, and thought they had played the game with a lot of class. While I question their class, it can not be questioned that they are by far the best team on the field everytime they play. Let's see if it stays that way in the coming weeks. However, the NFL is a much different game than is the high school brand of football I have spent the past 17 years coaching.
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

What do you want them to do? Just stop playing offensively and hand the ball over to the other team so they can score a few points? Why would you do that? I see nothing wrong with scoring all those points. I don't agree with the cheating episode either, but what is wrong with scoring when you can?
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I look at the Patriots as a classless group of losers. I am not a sore loser and am not jealous. In fact, I have nothing to be jealous about since how can I be impressed by this football team. If you are talented enough to win without cheating, then why did you cheat? If everyone does it, then why were the Patriots the only ones caught? I am sick of the excuses the organization makes and nauseaed by their lack of class.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Oh please. We need another "we hate the big mean Patriots" thread? Why not combine this with the other thread? It doesn't seem like we need a whole new thread on it when we have that one.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinmickey9170 View Post
    What do you want them to do? Just stop playing offensively and hand the ball over to the other team so they can score a few points?
    I don't think Ian was suggesting "playing nice" and giving the other team the ball. His point was that the Pats could have run the ball, eaten time off the clock, and probably still scored a bunch. It was the manner in which they won. It did seem as if the Pats were going for greater numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Oh please. We need another "we hate the big mean Patriots" thread?
    I by NO MEANS hate the Patriots. And if you look at Ian's original post, neither does he. The Pats just seemed to show their true side yesterday.

It may be to pad the numbers for the "Brady vs. Manning" (Peyton) debate.

Next Sunday should be an interesting game! I'll be at the ESPN Club on the BW to catch some of it!
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

What do you want them to do? Just stop playing offensively and hand the ball over to the other team so they can score a few points? Why would you do that? I see nothing wrong with scoring all those points. I don't agree with the cheating episode either, but what is wrong with scoring when you can?
    What they could have done, as most professional sports teams do in this situation, is bring in the second and third string players to finish out the game once they are up by 4 touchdowns. There were plays that could have been done to eat up the clock, such as running the ball as Frank suggested. And even if the 2nd or third string QB throws an interception (as happened in the Miami game), you don’t immediately yank him. You had a comfortable lead and you were playing the 2007 Dolphins, not the ’72 version. I’m pretty sure the lead was still safe.

This coming week we are going to see how the coaches of 2 undefeated teams handle themselves. Tony Dungy, in my opinion, is the epitome of class, even when he was faced with heavy personal problems, and makes sure his players act in the same manner. If you can’t do that, you will not be on the Colts for long. You really can’t say the same about Bellichek and some of the comments or attitudes they have had.

Oh please. We need another "we hate the big mean Patriots" thread? Why not combine this with the other thread? It doesn't seem like we need a whole new thread on it when we have that one.

Sherri, this is a seperate issue with the Patriots. The other thread had to do with the videotaping issue.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Sherri, this is a seperate issue with the Patriots. The other thread had to do with the videotaping issue.
    Which has come up again here in multiple posts. Every other forum seems to combine threads that mention similar though not the same exact topics. It seems to make more sense to do it here, too, considering the way the conversation started and continues.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I mean there's a definite unwritten rule in the NFL that you DO NOT run up the score. Ever. Under any circumstances.
    Ian, unwritten rules are not definite. If so, they would be written. Just saying.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

What do you want them to do? Just stop playing offensively and hand the ball over to the other team so they can score a few points?
    Not sure how much football you watch, but for ... oh maybe the last 100 years or so ... when teams have a big lead they RUN THE BALL!

I mean it's not like they had a small lead that could slip away. They were up by 40 POINTS in the 4th quarter. The game was put away and had been for a long time. Yet they still threw the ball downfield and even went for it on FOURTH DOWN at one point.

Look ... you can be a Pats fan and defend them if you want, but I can 100% assure you that virtually everyone on the planet knows that what they're doing is wrong and totally classless. It's been wrong in the NFL as long as the NFL has existed (and before that, as a matter of fact). It's not a grey area. You don't run up the score. Period.

And I'll tell you something. At some point, they're going to go up against the wrong coach or the wrong player and they're going to be made to pay. Someone's going to take a cheap shot at Brady or Moss or something. They're as complicit in this whole thing as Belichek is.

And something else ... the Colts show everyone how it's done. This season, even though they're the defending champs, they've had to sit back and listen to everyone talk about the Patriots. They haven't said a peep and have just gone about their business.

This coming weekend, when the two teams play each other, you can bet I'll be solidly behind the Colts. They may not win the game, but (as Christine already said) they won the class battle a long time ago. Tony Dungy has more class in his pinky finger than Belichek has in his entire body.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

And something else ... the Colts show everyone how it's done. This season, even though they're the defending champs, they've had to sit back and listen to everyone talk about the Patriots. They haven't said a peep and have just gone about their business.
    The Colts haven't had to say anything. They don't have people looking to take them down or making threads about how it's so unfair that they score points in a game. Even as defending champs, they don't have the same kind of Superbowl record in recent years to bring out the haters.

You didn't jump out to accuse the Colts of the same thing in week one, when they kept on scoring against a defeated New Orleans 41-10. And not a word when San Diego handed Denver their most lopsided home loss since '66, 41-3. But the Patriots keep on scoring and it's a big terrible thing to do? I agree that it did seem a bit much and the Redskins were clearly outplayed, but wouldn't it have been insulting for the Patriots to give anything less than their best on the field?
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how much football you watch, but for ... oh maybe the last 100 years or so ... when teams have a big lead they RUN THE BALL!

I mean it's not like they had a small lead that could slip away. They were up by 40 POINTS in the 4th quarter. The game was put away and had been for a long time. Yet they still threw the ball downfield and even went for it on FOURTH DOWN at one point.

Look ... you can be a Pats fan and defend them if you want, but I can 100% assure you that virtually everyone on the planet knows that what they're doing is wrong and totally classless. It's been wrong in the NFL as long as the NFL has existed (and before that, as a matter of fact). It's not a grey area. You don't run up the score. Period.

And I'll tell you something. At some point, they're going to go up against the wrong coach or the wrong player and they're going to be made to pay. Someone's going to take a cheap shot at Brady or Moss or something. They're as complicit in this whole thing as Belichek is.

This coming weekend, when the two teams play each other, you can bet I'll be solidly behind the Colts. They may not win the game, but (as Christine already said) they won the class battle a long time ago. Tony Dungy has more class in his pinky finger than Belichek has in his entire body.
    My comment wasn't meant as a derogatory remark toward you. I didn't know I needed to be scolded, which is how you have come across. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or obnoxious. I was just asking a simple question. I have only the basic knowledge of football, I guess. I have been a fan since I was a yong girl. I appologize for not being completly knowledged on everything...and will furthermore, keep my thoughts and comments on football to my immediate family.
    Last edited by dolphinmickey9170; 10-29-2007 at 12:20 PM. Reason: spelling
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11

Post Thanks / Like

My heart has always been with the Browns (I grew up in NE Ohio) and I actually haven't got on the Colts bandwagon. It's funny too, because the Colts practice like 3 miles from my house.

One thing I can say about the Colts is I have never, ever questioned their class. About the only thing you can say bad about Tony Dungy is he is not emotional enough, but even that isn't a bad thing as, honestly, there are more important things in this world than football. Everyone I talk to (including patients who go to his church) say Coach Dungy is the same on the field as off.

Sunday is probably going to be one heck of a football game. If I was a betting man I would say the Patriots are probably going to win. I know it sounds like an elem. school pep talk, but the Colts are the true winners because the class and character they have is much more important to me than a stupid game with one winner and one loser.

I should say, I have read these posts and there is a lot of passion there. I want to assure everyone who reads my posts that I am not saying anything bad about the Patriots fans and certainly nothing bad about people who frequent this board. I think what happens is people are passionate for their team and take stuff personal. First and foremost, I want everyone to know I mean no personal disrespect. This is just discussion from someone who thinks the way the Patriots operate is wrong.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

The Colts haven't had to say anything. They don't have people looking to take them down or making threads about how it's so unfair that they score points in a game. Even as defending champs, they don't have the same kind of Superbowl record in recent years to bring out the haters.

You didn't jump out to accuse the Colts of the same thing in week one, when they kept on scoring against a defeated New Orleans 41-10. And not a word when San Diego handed Denver their most lopsided home loss since '66, 41-3. But the Patriots keep on scoring and it's a big terrible thing to do? I agree that it did seem a bit much and the Redskins were clearly outplayed, but wouldn't it have been insulting for the Patriots to give anything less than their best on the field?
    I agree Sherri.
    Kristen and Ben

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I can tell based on your responses that attempting to sway your opinion on this is fruitless. You're clearly a Pats fan and will defend your team regardless of what they do or say.

Therefore, I don't really think it's going to be productive for me to respond to your post point by point. Suffice it to say that there are times when it is reasonable to continue scoring in a game and times when it isn't. The Pats do it when it isn't.

My comment wasn't meant as a derogatory remark toward you. I didn't know I needed to be scolded, which is how you have come across. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or obnoxious. I was just asking a simple question. I have only the basic knowledge of football, I guess. I have been a fan since I was a yong girl. I appologize for not being completly knowledged on everything...and will furthermore, keep my thoughts and comments on football to my immediate family.
    I didn't intend to scold you. Your post sounded to me like you were defending the Pats by saying it was okay for them to run up the score.

If you weren't aware that running up the score his highly frowned upon in the NFL, then I apologize. I must have mis-interpreted your tone.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is "every dog has their day" !!!! We may not see it for years, but eventually it'll come and when it does, I may just sit back and laugh.......
    80 1st./04POR/05POR/06POR/07POR/08POR/09POR/10POR/
    11PORJan/11PORApr/12ASPJun/12AKLJul/12POPNov/13AKL/
    14FQJun/14POPJul/14PORNov/15POPFeb/15FQJun/15AoADec/16ASPNov/17AoAJun/ 17POPSep/18CBJun/19PORApr/

IN GOD WE TRUST !!

STEELERS, SIX TIME SUPERBOWL CHAMPS

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the reason why the Pats are still throwing with the starters in during a blow-out:

Bill Belichek has Tom Brady on his Fantasy Football Team.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, your appology is accepted. And no, I was not aware that running up the score was a problem. And I also wasn't trying to imply a "tone" either. As previously stated, I am not totally up on of all the rules. I still have to ask my DH what something meant, especially since they are using new terms when they call the penalties. So I understand your point now. Next Sunday's game will be very interesting. I just hope it is a fair and non-injury laden game. You can bet I'll be watching.

Not only has my comment been construed wrong here, but as well in the Red Sox thread. So, I guess I just need to stay out of these. This way, I don't get myself into trouble.
    Kristen and Ben

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: