Quantcast Death on Expedition Everest

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Death on Expedition Everest

The Orlando Times announced a 44 year old man passed away when the ride came back to the load/unload station. All my well wishes go out to his family

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

From the Orlando Sentinel...

Man dies after riding Expedition Everest at Disney's Animal Kingdom
    Scott Powers

Sentinel Staff Writer

3:35 PM EST, December 18, 2007

A 44-year-old man has died after riding the Expedition Everest roller coaster at Disney's Animal Kingdom today.

Jeffrey Reed, of Navarre, was unconscious and unresponsive when his ride vehicle pulled into the unload area, around 11:25 this morning.

Another park guests who is a registered nurse and a Disney employee began cardiopulmonary resuscitation until Reedy Creek Emergency Services paramedics arrived and took over, said Assistant Fire Chief Bo Jones.

The man had no pulse when paramedics arrived, Jones said. There was no apparent trauma and "no obvious signs of any cause," Jones said. The paramedics transported him to Celebration Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Walt Disney World officials said the ride was inspected this morning and was operating properly, but is currently closed while Disney officials reconfirm the ride's status.

The Florida Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection and the Orange County Sheriff's Office were notified.

A Disney spokeswoman said the company has offered the man's family "our deepest sympathies" and offered assistance.

The death is the first associated with the roller coaster Expedition Everest, which opened in early 2006. That ride includes tight twists and turns and some backwards travel but is not a particularly fast or steep roller coaster and has no loops.

The death is the third death associated with a Disney attraction this year and the first since March, when a man died after collapsing at the Downhill Double Dipper at Blizzard Beach.

Copyright © 2007, Orlando Sentinel

Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Man dies after riding Expedition Everest at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Scott Powers | (Orlando) Sentinel Staff Writer
    3:35 PM EST, December 18, 2007

A 44-year-old man has died after riding the Expedition Everest roller coaster at Disney's Animal Kingdom today.

Jeffrey Reed, of Navarre, was unconscious and unresponsive when his ride vehicle pulled into the unload area, around 11:25 this morning.

Another park guests who is a registered nurse and a Disney employee began cardiopulmonary resuscitation until Reedy Creek Emergency Services paramedics arrived and took over, said Assistant Fire Chief Bo Jones.

The man had no pulse when paramedics arrived, Jones said. There was no apparent trauma and "no obvious signs of any cause," Jones said. The paramedics transported him to Celebration Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Walt Disney World officials said the ride was inspected this morning and was operating properly, but is currently closed while Disney officials reconfirm the ride's status.

The Florida Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection and the Orange County Sheriff's Office were notified.

A Disney spokeswoman said the company has offered the man's family "our deepest sympathies" and offered assistance.

The death is the first associated with the roller coaster Expedition Everest, which opened in early 2006. That ride includes tight twists and turns and some backwards travel but is not a particularly fast or steep roller coaster and has no loops.

The death is the third death associated with a Disney attraction this year and the first since March, when a man died after collapsing at the Downhill Double Dipper at Blizzard Beach.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Salisbury, Md 14 hours, 21 minutes or 903.36 miles From Disney
    Post Thanks / Like

How sad and for it to happen so close to teh holidays at that. Condelences go to his family form ours.
    șoș Josette șoș
    ~*~Next up~*~
    November 2015
    Surprise trip(Pop Century)

Just because I cannot see it, doesn't mean I can't believe it! -Jack Skellington

Post Thanks / Like

Condolences to this man's family. Sometimes you just don't know when it's your time. It's so very sad.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I happened to be in the final part of the line (after the Yeti museum, but right before loading) when this all happened. All of a sudden, the loud speaker told us that Everest was experiencing technical difficulties and cast members would be helping us exit the line. We were lead out of the line past the loading area very quickly and given fastpasses that were good until the end of the month. As we were exiting, my dad saw someone (possibly a cast member) performing CPR on the man on the exit platform of Everest.

My mom was in the single rider line when the man came into the station (so she was closer to the exit platform). She saw several cast members jumping into the train and lifting the man from the vehicle. She said that once the situation was known, the single rider line was immediately evacuated.

The ride remained closed when I left this afternoon, and I imagine it wouldn't be reopened until at least tomorrow.

Very sad situation, but the castmembers seemed to be handling things very well, especially considering the pre-Christmas crowds who didn't know the situation and wanted to ride Everest.
    Hurry back, hurry back... be sure to bring your death certificate.

Isn't it something! Send a city kid to college for seven years and what happens? She becomes a farmer!

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

How sad!

Our sympathy goes out to his family and friends.
    "Im a storyteller. Of all the things I've ever done, I'd like to be remembered as a storyteller." Walt Disney

The mighty Roman Empire bridged 3 continents with a vast system of roads. The fastest information highways the world had ever known.
    East, West, North and South, all roads led to Rome

Post Thanks / Like

Very sad.
    1988,97,98*,99, 2000,01*,02*,04*,05*,07,08*,09,11,12*,13*'14*,15&, 16*,17(*=2x that year &=3x) on site WDW
    Next trip to WDW: Planning October 2017 and beyond! I love my AP!
    1991 DL 1993 DL Paris
    "If we can dream it, we can do it"
    "The harder I work, the luckier I get"

Post Thanks / Like

What an AWFUL tradgedy!! Those poor family members!! My thoughts and prayers are with them in this hard time.
    I've been going to WDW since birth, and now I work there.
    Proud Baton Twirler!
    "Oh look, my tax dollars at work coming to arrest me, " Reily Pool, NT2
    Go UCF and UF!

Post Thanks / Like

How terrible, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
    Melissa

4/87 offsite, 3/05 AKL, 10/06 WL, 3/08 GF, 1/09 WL, 3/09 Poly, 10/09 SSR, 1/10 AKV, 10/10 BLT, 12/10 AKV, 2/11 Poly, 5/11 BCV, 10/11 BLT, 12/11 WL, 5/12 1st Cruise on the Dream & BWV, 10/12 BLT!

"...That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... how horrible... My thoughts go out to his family. Truly horrible to lose someone during the holiday season. I do applaud the CMs for their professionalism and quick action in this situation, also.
    AJ (A.K.A. Figaro)
    Former Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member

“I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.” - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sad to hear this... what a horrible thing to happen at any time, but esp. at this time of year, on vacation. My heart and prayers go out to his family.
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Our thoughts go out to his family.
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

That's just terrible. I'm so sorry to read this.
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts and prayers for the family.

Post Thanks / Like

Very Sad New

for the Family!
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

This is indeed a tragic occurrence for the happiest place on earth. I hope the family feels the thoughts and prayers of all of us during this time. Our prayers are powerful.
    "Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time...and for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers. We now have the ability and the responsibility to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us, to create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth."

pogo Guest

My heart broke when I read this. His family must be devestated. They will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Remember.... Live each day as if it is your last.... You never know when you will be called.

RIP Mr. Reed.

Post Thanks / Like

How sad!
    My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
    Matt

GO PACK GO!!

POP April 2007
    ASM Ocober 2005
    Dixie Landings 2003, 1997, 1995
    Off-Site 1993, 1991, 1976

Post Thanks / Like

absolutely heartbreaking - our thoughts and deepest sympathy go to the family
    playdead88

boardwalk villas may 2005
    boardwalk villas may 2006
    beach club villas april 2007

wilderness lodge april 2008
    DVC member april 08
    animal kingdom villas may 09

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: