Quantcast American Idol: Season 7 - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanetMegan View Post
    All together now..."You are my brother....."
    My best friend forever.... I thought that was funny, I loved how everyone just let loose and joined in.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

And now the mainstream media (like ABCNews) is finally picking up on the "ringer" aspect I talked about earlier in the thread... How do you all feel about it? I kinda feel like it's OK.. maybe we'll get a solid group of singers... but at the same time be honest. Don't tell us someone is a sheltered farm girl when they've already been part of the industry. I believe in second chances, it shouldn't be a secret though.

Here is an article from EW's Popwatch:
    'Idol' season 7's first semi-scandal: the semi-pros

Jan 17, 2008, 01:54 PM | by Shirley Halperin

Categories: American Idol, Music

The TiVo's barely gone cold on the second episode of American Idol, and already, a scandal? OK, it's not quite on the level of Corey Clark producing Paula's receipts from Fred Segal, but for the die-hard Idolizers out there, this is legit. Should the competition be open to semi-professionals? Like contestants who've had previous major label recording deals, were managed or produced by a big-time music industry name, or have even been nominated for a Grammy? The intrepid sleuths at votefortheworst blew the lid off this story, listing no less than 13 alleged top 50 contestants with a not-so-amateur past. Singers like Philadelphia auditioner Kristy Lee Cook (pictured), who, back in 2001, was signed to Arista Nashville and repped by LeAnn Rimes' former manager, or Australian import Michael Johns (formerly Michael Lee), who fronted a band called The Rising and was set to release a debut on Maverick Records in 2003 (back when Madonna still ran the label). And there's another hopeful from across the pond, Irish-born Carly Hennessy, who in 1999, signed a six-album deal with MCA Records. She was the focus of a Wall Street Journal article detailing the high risk — and cost — of breaking a new pop artist. In the piece, it was estimated that the label spent around $2.2 million on Hennessy, pairing her up with proven songwriters and producers (like Gregg Alexander, who's worked extensively with Simon Fuller clients the Spice Girls) only to see her debut album sell less than 400 copies.

That's not to say that singers should only have one shot at making it, then hang up their hat if they don't, but you have to wonder: do these contestants have an unfair advantage? After all, they've been coached by the best, not just on their vocals, but on imaging, public relations, and how to win over an audience. Or are they, as votefortheworst suggested, plants? Failed artists with connections looking to get them that coveted second chance? Is it favoritism when someone like Samantha Sidley, who's appeared on stage with Katharine McPhee and attended a workshop taught by Kat's mom, Peisha, makes it through? How about Jermaine Paul, who was apparently signed to Clive Davis' J Records and appeared on a duet with Alicia Keys which was nominated for a Grammy? (Though, according to Joe's Place blog, hosted by idolforums.com [registration required], he's already dropped out of the competition.)

Now, you could make the same argument for former backup singers like Melinda Doolittle. And, in fact, Idol producer Ken Ehrlich acknowledged this when defending the Idol screening process. He told MTV News, "There are kids who are sufficiently good out there, that maybe should be stars and the fact that they've been a backing singer to someone else in the past — if they were within the age limit and they meet all the criteria that we set — then who are we to say, 'No, you can't have another go [at it]'? That's ridiculous."

But let me just say this, and then let you all continue the debate: on Fox's Next Great American Band (which, judging by the ratings, none of you was watching), two acts had previous major label deals: Sixwire, who released their debut on Warner Bros. in 2002, and the Clark Brothers, who, in their prior incarnation as the Clark Family Experience, were signed to Curb Records and worked with Tim McGraw on their first and only album (two of the three brothers had also played in Carrie Underwood's band). Guess what? Sixwire came in second, and the Clark Brothers (who happen to be awesome) won the whole shebang. Just saying...
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting article, but I don't think it's wrong that talented artists get second chances as long as they fit in with the Idol rules and entry requirements. I don't think it's scandalous. There's a lot of good talent out there that goes unrecognized.

Just because someone has had a shot at it in the past, does that mean they should fade into the woodwork and give someone else a shot? They still have to outshine some heavy competition, and if the true newcomers are good enough and have that wow factor, they can certainly beat people with past professional experience. It's about finding the best, not about finding the most obscure or well-hidden. Isn't it? But I do agree on the marketing approach to be honest. Tell us you've had some experience, don't hide behind false impressions for the good PR.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

All together now..."You are my brother....."
    ...my best friend forever...
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hmmm

Good article, but actually I'm ok with it being the way it is now, maybe the talent will be better. I think everyone should have a chance, heck those people want it just as badly if not more than everyone else...

You are my brother....
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, my favorite city was pretty much a bust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    Well, my favorite city was pretty much a bust.
    I don't know. It looked like they put a lot through that we didn't get to see. But last night was kind of blah, yes.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

The contestants that don't get picked, then spew venom at Randy, Paula and Simon scare me. Are there that many people walking around our world that are that far out of touch with reality??????

To argue and go on and on about the qualifications of the judges is just scary. Can there be that many delusional people in the world????????

Case in point, last night the gal born in Jamica with the "Big Belt"!!!!!!!!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Behind...

I'm one night behind but the guy with the long fingernails and long hair really creeped me out!
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm one night behind but the guy with the long fingernails and long hair really creeped me out!
    Oh yeah! He was way way out there!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Yeah, that dude was a nut-job. I'm sure he was a nice guy, but sheesh ... what a space cadet ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The contestants that don't get picked, then spew venom at Randy, Paula and Simon scare me. Are there that many people walking around our world that are that far out of touch with reality??????

To argue and go on and on about the qualifications of the judges is just scary. Can there be that many delusional people in the world????????
    This always fascinates me, too. I mean look ... I'm not really that big a fan of the whole manufactured pop star thing, and you could even make the case that the fact that so many of the American Idol winners haven't had much commerical success sort of refutes the notion that Randy/Paula/Simon are in any way infallible, but come on people ... get a clue.

I really believe that most of these people have friends and family who are afraid to hurt their feelings by telling them they can't sing. For years people have been telling them they're good, so they're shocked to hear someone tell them they stink. Of course, it could also be a set-up for ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I don't know. It looked like they put a lot through that we didn't get to see. But last night was kind of blah, yes.
    Actually, I think they only ultimately put through like 17 people ... that's not very many ...
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Any one else think the whole bring in your baby thing was odd? And taking a camera crew with you to find the hospital?

Anyway the brother sister combo were way better then I thought they would be.

I don't know about the whole sucess thing as one big thing is that many of them haven't been "pop" stars (theatre/film etc) but more of them have been something then say other "talent" shows have led to.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

I was really surprised that they cut the girl who was the pilot in the Air Force. I mean what a build up with her back story! Honestly she was just as good as some of the others put through, so I was shocked when they just basically said "oh -- your voice is nice and you're so pretty and...well, no..bye bye"

I did love the brother/sister combo. Thought they sounded great and the guy was just hilarious to watch. He will be so entertaining if he makes it through Hollywood.
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jenemmy View Post
    I was really surprised that they cut the girl who was the pilot in the Air Force. I mean what a build up with her back story! Honestly she was just as good as some of the others put through, so I was shocked when they just basically said "oh -- your voice is nice and you're so pretty and...well, no..bye bye"

I did love the brother/sister combo. Thought they sounded great and the guy was just hilarious to watch. He will be so entertaining if he makes it through Hollywood.
    Cutting the USAF pilot got me too. I thought she was good, but all the judges pretty much agreed she wasn't good enough. I wonder how much the mood of the judges and first impressions matter? Maybe that had something to do with it.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I wish they wouldn't even bother to show this phase of the show. I had hopes that they would show less of the garbage this years. But that hope was quickly dashed, so I changed channels. I'll watch again after the auditions.

We know they auditioners are pre-screened, so why are there the majority of the ones we see weird, goofy, creepy, or just plain bad. Admittedly, that's a rhetorical question. I know why, its because there an audience for it. But I just can watch it. I don't need to see then laugh and ridicule the goofy ones. I don't need to see people with minimal or no talent go into a "for the camera" rage. I don't need to see people holding onto false hopes after making it to the judges, only for the sake of TV produced "drama", real or not.

In my mind, the pre-screeners should filter out all the garbage, and the judges should only see people with SOME reasonable chance. But I know I'm in the minority on this.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post

In my mind, the pre-screeners should filter out all the garbage, and the judges should only see people with SOME reasonable chance. But I know I'm in the minority on this.
    I have a habit of using the DVR for ALL American Idol shows from start to finish. SOme people just make me too darn nervous to watch...this includes the people who make it through Hollywood and onto the finals.

I enjoy the auditions for the thrill of those who get their golden ticket. I tend to skip over the ones who you can immediately tell are going to be heartbroken.
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

In the preview of the brother/sister combo I was laughing so hard. Bing, boppa wowow... And truly didn't expect them to do as well as they did. That was nice to see.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the judges that the pageant girl was extremely annoying. I bet she was mad when she saw what they said about her. Can't wait to see her in Hollywood!

Do you guys believe the guy who says he lives in his car? I didn't really think he sang all that well.

And I liked the biker nurse chick.

I'm ready for Hollywood!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank goodness -- finally a reason to watch!

Hollywood here we come!
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    Do you guys believe the guy who says he lives in his car? I didn't really think he sang all that well.
    Well, I think that he was very nervous. I think he had tinges of greatness in his voice but it needs to be developed. He seemed genuine to me. If he doesn't have the chops, he'll get weeded out in Hollywood.

And I liked the biker nurse chick.
    Me too! I read that she got in a terrible car accident after her audition but she did get to Hollywood, and I don't think there were lasting effects but how scary!

I'm ready for Hollywood!
    Hooray for Hollywood!!! I am so excited to see the performers actually use INSTRUMENTS!!!!!! And am I correct in thinking that they've done away with the group numbers? There was a rare gem here(Frenchie and Kim Locke's Band of Gold), and there (Blake and the boys doing How Deep is Your Love), but honestly I think they weren't really a fair way to judge talent. If one person messes up it can knock your whole group off and your done.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: