Quantcast '08 Changes make me DROP it

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default '08 Changes make me DROP it

Hi. Thanks to Intercot, I stumbled on the DDP changes for '08. We booked our April trip back in September to include a basic dining plan. My and 2 children love to eat at the nicer places for dinner just about every night. We definitely got value by using the DDP. We typically order appetizers,entree and dessert at all nice restaurants, Disney or not. So the DDP was perfect for us. We would never have to worry about ordering something because we thought we had to. And we usually tip close to if not 20% all of the time barring unusual circumstances. Anyway, with the changes to the DDP (omitting appetizers and gratuity) has really thrown me for a loop. I just don't know that it is worth it anymore. It is very disappointing because I love the idea of not worrying about it. But I just don't know what to do. I am strongly considering dropping it. I did use the link provided in another link to email Disney. THat won't help for my April trip. Any guidance on what I should do?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I was angry about the changes too, but I have been looking at it this way-- it's not like I'm not going to use everything on the plan and try to get the best value for what they're giving. So what, I have to pay for my tip and appetizer. Likely I'll share an app with my sweetie anyway.

The convenience of the plan for snacks and counter service meals is still great. And I'll just make sure I order the most expensive entree options possible for my TS meals.

12 trips to the World... next one: 10/29/12 for our Fairy Tale Wedding!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjmdds View Post
    '08 Changes make me DROP it
    I hope I can help.

The DDP has really never been even a good value. Many people, contrary to their belief actually paid more for the plan than they would have spent without it. Sure it was possible to break even and maybe save a couple bucks, but the restautants necessary to do that only hold so many people.

With the new changes and the *cough* drop in price *cough* i really can't see anyone being able to save any money.

Just pass on it, use the opportunity to voice you opinion the only way Disney will understand. With your wallet!

Post Thanks / Like

You should probably look at the menus and add it up. For most regular table service diners, unless you're heavy on the price fix or buffet places or prefer breakfast and lunch over dinner, the dining plan still saves you money. Just do a little research before dropping it. Granted, it's not as good a bargain as it was, but do the math and then decide.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    The DDP has really never been even a good value. Many people, contrary to their belief actually paid more for the plan than they would have spent without it. Sure it was possible to break even and maybe save a couple bucks, but the restautants necessary to do that only hold so many people.
    I totally disagree. On my last trip in February, I kept all of my receipts and added up how much I would've spent. I ended up saving close to $150 for 2 of us. I thought the old dining plan was a GREAT value! But I'm not so sure about the new plan.

Does anyone know what the price difference is from last year to this year? I don't remember last year's cost.

I do think that last year's DDP had too much food on it, but I would like the choice of appetizer or dessert instead of JUST dessert. I would much rather have an appetizer than a dessert.
    Sarah
    "Everybody wants to be a cat!!"

1/12-VWL; 9/11-SSR-Grandstand; 5/11-SSR-Grandstand **First DVC Stay!!**; 10/10-POFQ; 9/09-AKL **Honeymoon**; 2/07-SSR- Paddock; 3/04-AKL; 5/01-DL Paris; 3/01-VWL; 12/00-Off-Site; 1/99-AS Music; 2/97-AS Sports; 2/95-AS Music; 6/93-OKW
    And many times prior...

Post Thanks / Like

Sarah, I believe this year's regular DDP is a dollar less than last year's, but I could be wrong.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Definitely not true. It all depends on how you eat when you're on vacation. If you're a guy who's gonna grab a quick burger here and there then no ... it makes no sense. But if you like the character meals, the table service dining in Epcot and the resorts, and fine dining in general, it's well worth it.

In fact, I can tell you with 100% certainty that on our last trip we saved in excess of $300 by using the Dining Plan. I saved my dining receipts and added it all up ...

For our entire trip (2 adults, 1 child) the DDP cost us $450. The tips alone on our meals were close to $250 ... our total bill for eating and snacks was $783.29.

To the OP ... I'd suggest looking into the deluxe dining plan. It still doesn't include tips, but it does give you the app/entree/dessert and you can have three TS meals a day, if you choose. It's obviously quite a bit more expensive, but I still believe that (if you like to eat) it's a great bargain for you.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=DizneyRox;1513303]I hope I can help.

well im sorry dizneyrox, but i would have to disagree as well, on our last 2 trips me and dw saved well over $300 by being on the DDP, the plan was an extra $500 towards our trip, when we got back home i tallied all of our reciepts from snacks included and both times it was over $800. when at WDW me and dw love to eat our TS meals at the more jazzier places, so our TS meals alone would be more than $100. we tend to want to do this because lets face although good the CS meals just can't compete to what you get at a nice TS meal. as far as the changes this won't pouse a problem, as we usually leave a tip anyway, and as far as the apetizers are concerned we'll just get 1 and share it. soon we'll be planning our upcoming June trip, i'll post our ADR'S as soon as we make them

Victor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/06(asmo- mighty ducks)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    03/10(boardwalk)free upgrade
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    10/11-(asmu-country+7 day west carib cruise)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

I wholeheartedly disagree with DizneyRox. We did exactly what Duchess did on our last trip and we saved close to $800 for our family of five. It's there in black and white.

I also completely agree with SBETigg - you have to sit and figure it out. It took me just about an hour, less than 24 hours ago to find this:

I picked out six places we would want to eat. I then figured the AVERAGE prices for meals,based on what you get with the dining plan. That came to $1341.46. Then, based on my knowledge of what my family would order, I figured out what we would spend out of pocket to eat at those same places, with the same DP choices. That came to $1689.60. That price even includes two breakfast buffets, that loads of people will say is a waste of the DDP. I then ran it to figure us all eating the most expensive things on each of the menus. That cost was $2038.50. The cost for the dining plan for five of us for six nights: $37.99 x 6 = $ 1139.70.

What you have to figure out is how your family usually eats, where you would eat in WDW, and try to figure out your menus. If your family is the type that makes breakfast in your room each day, packs their own snacks and lunch and is fine with eating quick service for dinner, then the plan is definitely not worth it for you. My family likes to splurge a little on vacation. We only do this once every 12-18 months, so we like to do it up a little bit, we like to sit and relax and have nice meals.

Believe me, I ran the numbers every way I could and even though I'm not too happy with the changes,the plan still makes sense for us.

I even ran it to eat at nothing but buffets, and the plan still saves us $20. That might not sound like much, but saving $20 plus the convienience is worth it to us. You have to decide if it's worth it for you.

What gets me though, is the people that complained that it was too much food. Little did they know. I'll bet that those people are also complaining about the changes now.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran number a while ago as well and got it right down to every last detail. Tax, gratuity, and what DH and I would ACTUALLY eat. I was honest with myself.

When it came down to it, it was still a bargain. Sure, not as much of one, but still worth it to us.

I also did a "what if" situation where we wouldn't do the DDP and we set a certain limit of how much we spent on food. Probably only doing 3 or 4 TS meals out of a 7 day trip. And picked only snacks and CS for the rest. While it's not as fun, it does save you some cash.

The new plan does not work for everyone. Especially if you really are a light eater or someone who likes three courses at a TS meal. You just have to figure it out for your family.
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

For all of those saying how much you saved on the DDP figure in the extra 30-40% you paid each night for your room for the privelage of being on the plan?
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    For all of those saying how much you saved on the DDP figure in the extra 30-40% you paid each night for your room for the privelage of being on the plan?
    Since I'm a DVC member, that didn't factor in to the equation.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

*braced to sound stupid*

What do you mean extra?
    -Stacey

Post Thanks / Like

Remember, Jeff, if you are DVC there isn't that extra 30-40%. Also, Disney does at times offer package discounts with dining (and not the free dining promo). If you are DVC, you very well could see a decent savings over paying out of pocket or the Disney Dining Experience card (if you also purchase an AP).
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

It is important to figure total cost...

Many folks staying offsite do not include the cost of a rental car (or whatever transportation they decide to use) and parking when deciding that staying off-site is cheaper. I believe the same problem exists with the DDP.

I can also produce receipts from a previous trip showing I would have spent more than $150 more if I got the DDP than paying OOP as we did (Yes, DVC member here as well).

Post Thanks / Like

Disney constantly offer discounted room rates however by opting for the dining plan you pay rack rates for the rooms. The typical room discounts available most times of the year range from 30%-40% add the DDP and this is gone.

A good Example is the last Disney Visa Promotion

Pop Century Rack Rate was Approx $89 through the Promotion it was $59 about a 30% savings however in order to qualify for the DDP you had to pay the Rack rate and were not eligible for the promotional rate.

So a 7 day stay during this time would cost you $210 more if you opted for the DDP. In your Calculations this additional money should be deducted from your savings. So if think you save $300 using tht eplan before calculation this additional cost in you actually only saved $90
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poeticeclipse View Post
    *braced to sound stupid*

What do you mean extra?
    Not stupid at all, Stacey. Jeff is referring that in many cases you are paying rack rates for your room if you get a package which includes dining. There are times when WDW offers package discounts for packages with dining where you do get a room discount, though. Also, if you are a DVC member, you can purchase the Dining plan and there isn't a room charge (other than using your DVC points) so in that case Jeff's example does not apply.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Disney constantly offer discounted room rates however by opting for the dining plan you pay rack rates for the rooms. The typical room discounts available most times of the year range from 30%-40% add the DDP and this is gone.

A good Example is the last Disney Visa Promotion

Pop Century Rack Rate was Approx $89 through the Promotion it was $59 about a 30% savings however in order to qualify for the DDP you had to pay the Rack rate and were not eligible for the promotional rate.

So a 7 day stay during this time would cost you $210 more if you opted for the DDP. In your Calculations this additional money should be deducted from your savings. So if think you save $300 using tht eplan before calculation this additional cost in you actually only saved $90
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Not stupid at all, Stacey. Jeff is referring that in many cases you are paying rack rates for your room if you get a package which includes dining. There are times when WDW offers package discounts for packages with dining where you do get a room discount, though. Also, if you are a DVC member, you can purchase the Dining plan and there isn't a room charge (other than using your DVC points) so in that case Jeff's example does not apply.
    Thank you! I was not aware of this at all!

What if you go during a time where there is no promotion going on? Then you're not paying "extra" right?
    -Stacey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poeticeclipse View Post
    What if you go during a time where there is no promotion going on? Then you're not paying "extra" right?
    Correct. The only time it could truly be said you're paying extra is if you opt for a package with the DDP where you're forced to pay rack rates.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Correct. The only time it could truly be said you're paying extra is if you opt for a package with the DDP where you're forced to pay rack rates.

Well, that makes perfect sense.

Now i've got another question... say I book when there is a promotion going on that we could apply to our package and say I use the DDP. Obviously, i'm paying rack rate because i'm forced to but would it then be better for me to opt out of the DDP, take the rack rate, and pay OOP for all of my food?
    -Stacey

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: