Quantcast Recently back. Not thrilled with DP '08.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Recently back. Not thrilled with DP '08.

My family and I were in Disney World from January 1-10. Despite the changes to the dining plan for 2008, we decided to try it because of its convenience. Unfortunately, the new plan was often quite inconvenient.

Our sit-down meals were all quite acceptable. In fact, some were extremely satisfying. And the service was about the same as before. Some servers were very, very good, and some were just OK.

I did not miss the appetizers. If we wanted one, we just ordered it. But I came away from most meals feeling satisfied, but not overstuffed.

So where was the problem with the plan? It was in the fact that we don't like to carry very much cash, and that made tipping very awkward and inconvenient. If we wanted to tip via room charge, we either had to tell the server what we were going to tip him or her before they ran the card, or we had to send the server back and forth twice, to run the card for the dining plan and then to run it for the tip. Several servers told me that it was extremely uncomfortable for them to have to ask for the tip amount up front, but that their managers were telling them to do it that way.

I received a little inside information that should surprise no one. After I mentioned my dislike for the new dining plan, one of our servers said that she was on the 50 person panel of union reps which met with Disney about the proposed changes to the dining plan. I told her that Disney position has been that the union requested the exclusion of tips from the new plan. The server laughed and said that the union fought the tip exclusion tooth and nail. The server said that Disney felt that they were not making enough money on the plan, and that they were, in essence, paying the servers' tips. The only concession Disney made, the server said, was to list both the 15% tip amount and the 20% tip amount on the receipt.

Like I said, I'm not thinking that anyone is surprised by this, if it's true. I just thought I'd pass it along.

Amy
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the report. Certainly no surprise that there are some different opinions on how and why things turned out as they did. The suggestion that Disney did not feel that they were making enough money on the DP, has the ring of truth to me. Just my opinion.
    The difficulties with tipping is something nice to know as I will be using the DP in September (only because we got it for free). Perhaps, some of the bugs will have gotten work out by then.
    Bailey's Drhama
    Coming up :) Sept 16 AKL Club Level*
    *Sept 15 POR***Sept 14 - AKL*
    *Nov 12 - POR***Sept 11 & 09 - POFQ*
    *Sept 08 - POR***Sept 07 - OKW*
    *Dec 06 - CBR***Sept 05 - W Cabins*
    *Dec 03 - CSR & WL***Sept 01 & 99 - off site*
    *June 98 - ASM***Dec 97 & 96 - GF*

Post Thanks / Like

First, I would be appauled if a server "reminded" me about the tip by asking how much to put on the card. There would be no tip after hearing that.

And I do beleive it was Disney's call on the tip exclusion. It smells of greed, which smells like Disney the past few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Yeah, I don't think there's any doubt that this change was all Disney's idea. I've read in multiple places, from reasonably accurate sources, that Food and Beverage's profits were way down due to the DDP and that's why they made these changes.

As far as the tips go ... thanks for the information. We're going in May and we're going to be on the deluxe DDP. I'll make sure we carry plenty of cash for tips so we can avoid these awkward moments.

I'm also going to make sure to complain loudly and often about the changes and how inconvenient they've made a plan that was supposed to be all about convenience.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up with the tipping situation. I was curious how it would work if you wanted to charge it to your room. I, too, think it would be very akward to have your CM ask what amount you wanted to leave them. That just kinda puts you on the spot I think. We've got our Jan 09 trip in the works so unless there is a change back to the old plan....which would be AWESOME....I guess we'll have to carry more cash on us than usual. It's not suprising that Disney wanted these changes, they're most concerned with the numbers. I do wish they'd really take in to consideration the opinions of their faithful patrons. Who knows maybe all our complaints will help change their mind a little. I can deal with no app...that isn't too much of an extra expense if we happen to want one...but the tip thing kinda bugs me. Oh well, lets cross our fingers and see how it goes!
    CTennant

~For you see, in the end it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads-up Amy. I hope the rest of your trip went well for both of you!!
    ~Greg~
    18 trips to WDW!
    Next trip: Nov 14-18, 2013!

9 trips to Disneyland!
    Next trip: Dec 22-23, 2013

4 trips to Tokyo Disneyland!
    Next Trip: Dec 17-19, 2013

5 trips to Hong Kong Disneyland!
    Next Trip: ?

in a lavender cottage - I mixed this color to create this wild color
    Post Thanks / Like

We Will Be Arrivng In A Few Weeks And Also Doing The New Ddp 2008 ( Basic Pac Kage). We Have Been On The Plan Many , Many Times- And Really Enjoyed The Plan.
    I Honestly Not Looking Forward To
    Carring Cash For Tips. The Whole Point For Us- Was Not To Carry Cash! This Is Annoying! The Servers At The Buffets Dont Do That Much For The Diner- And Im Wondering How Im Suppose To Give 20 %
    I Was A Waitress In My Past- And Know The Importance Of Tips. If They Are A Good Server- You Give A Bit Extra. But, I Can Tsee Paying 20% On A Buffet. I Understand The Side Jobs Etc - They Must D0-but I Will Not Tip That Much On A Regular Basis. I Am Not Being Cheap- Disney Is Expensive! I Think Many Of The Servers Will Be Disapointed At The End Of The Day. Disney Should Take Care Of Their Workers- Its Not Up To Us- They Need To Do The Figures And Work Out Whats Best For Their Own Employees - Not Us! I Too Am Sad About The Appertizers- But, Hey, Arent We All.
    The Sit Downs Are Always Better Quality- And It Will Be Alot More $$$$ Money For Us This Year On Dining Because Of The Tipping. I Didnt Like What The Servers Were Saying About Tipping To The Last Intercotee- That Is Ruid!
    I Wouldnt Want To Be Asked To Tip- Thats
    Gross!! Lol
    We Will See...

Post Thanks / Like

Not surprising that it was Disney's idea and it is very easy for them to blame the union in a right to work state. Amy, I do have one question, though. When you ordered something extra with your meal which would require you to receive a bill, could you just leave the tip on that check? Example: My sister and I usually order vegetable sides when we eat at Le Cellier as well as a glass of wine. We use the Dining Plan. At the end of the meal we should receive 2 checks, one for the Dining Plan and one for the alcohol and side dishes. We would put a tip for these items and any additional tip we wanted to leave if we had very good service on the second bill. Can we still do that without telling the amount to the server? I would just write the amount on the 2nd slip in the past.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dp

I also was disappointed that they took the tip of the plan, because it was nice not to have to carry cash...However, I will do that to avoid the awkwardness of the situation...what I would have rather seen done was them raise the daily price of the plan say $5-$7 and leave the tip on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiaramom View Post
    I Didnt Like What The Servers Were Saying About Tipping To The Last Intercotee- That Is Ruid!

How is that rude? The person asked the server a question and the person gave them the answer. I rather they do that than lie and say some company line. Only by asking questions are you going to get both sides of an issue.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    How is that rude? The person asked the server a question and the person gave them the answer. I rather they do that than lie and say some company line. Only by asking questions are you going to get both sides of an issue.
    I read that comment as she would find it rude if the wait staff asked her directly what tip she'd be leaving them. I didn't think it was about their conversation.
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have to leave the tip in cash, or can you charge it to your room? I'd rather not carry a lot of cash, but I will if have to, to make sure my servers are properly tipped.

Post Thanks / Like

I also wonder if the genius bean counters will do a comparison with the different incarnations of the dining plan vs. souvenir spending. I know our family spent a lot more on souvenirs when the dining plan was perceived as a better deal. Having to leave our own tip will just cut into their t-shirt, stuffed animal, mug, hats, etc. sales from this family. We go with a general budget in mind and if Disney wants to steer our money in one direction - we'll cut it off for another.
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biodtl View Post
    Do you have to leave the tip in cash, or can you charge it to your room? I'd rather not carry a lot of cash, but I will if have to, to make sure my servers are properly tipped.
    The OP was writing about tipping with her room charge.
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify, the servers did not directly ask for a tip. I was the one who brought up my dissatisfaction with the new plan with the tip not being included. The servers then agreed that it was very awkward having to explain to people who asked when the tip should be added. They all seemed very embarrassed when it came to that point in the meal. Sorry if I was unclear.

Christine, we did have extras on the meal several times, and we were able to add the tip onto the extra charges. That, at least, made the tipping a little easier.

Amy

"I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousefever View Post
    Christine, we did have extras on the meal several times, and we were able to add the tip onto the extra charges. That, at least, made the tipping a little easier.

Amy

So to add a little levity..except for MK which is "dry" all I have to do to avoid being embarrased and adding delay to my bill calcs it to sacrifce myself and order a glass of wine with each dinner? (though this might be a problem at a breakfast) That is a mighty useful tip!!! (and fun too!!)

However seriously unless your going to say and make it easier your going to have extra time waiting around which is just nasty..or carrying a bunch of cash which is equally nasty. Just a no win for guests and servers in my opionion.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really surprised that it was so inconvenient to tip. With the old plan, we almost always left extra tip and just included it with the extra items we ordered on the room charge, which they ran at the same time as the DP charges and they never had to make two trips (much like Christine mentions in her response). I guess if you didn't order any extras and everything was covered by DP that it would be slightly more inconvenient to charge it to the room, but I can't imagine it would be that awkward.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I are heading to WDW this weekend and we're on the dining plan. I think we'll try to bring cash with us for the tips - I'd rather not have to discuss how much tip I want to leave my server - especially if they're not too good!
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

I personally would not feel awkward telling the server how much of a tip. We used the dining plan last September when the tip was included. Alot of times we left a little extra for good service. We ate at Garden Grill one day for dinner. It burned me up that our server got any tip from us. We even spoke to the Manager about it. I would have had no problem telling him "no tip" at all! The meal (once we got it) was good and the atmosphere wonderful but the service was the pits. The waiter next to us helped us more. We found him at the end of our meal and gave him something extra. Believe me, this year I will not hesitate to leave less or none at all if we get service like that again and I will explain, nicely of course, what the problem was. I don't think anyone should be held hostage or feel obligated to leave a percentage for a tip. Good, efficient service will equal 18% or above. Waiter disappearing for 45 minutes with no one to cover his table =no tip!
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip View Post
    I also wonder if the genius bean counters will do a comparison with the different incarnations of the dining plan vs. souvenir spending. I know our family spent a lot more on souvenirs when the dining plan was perceived as a better deal. Having to leave our own tip will just cut into their t-shirt, stuffed animal, mug, hats, etc. sales from this family. We go with a general budget in mind and if Disney wants to steer our money in one direction - we'll cut it off for another.

I believe that....and i've posted the same thought in here on many threads....was the ENTIRE point to the dining plan

To allow the customer to be led into spend more disposable cash on merchandise (huge profit margin) after they had long since prepaid for the rest of the trip.

I have no doubt...knowing the operation down there from both sides of the cash register

I'm also laughing at the original post about what the server divulged about the plan....not because i think it's funny...because it is absolutely typical with the way things are operated and the motiviations of the beancounters down at WDW.
    It was the first thing that jumped into my mind when the changes were announced...almost like the sixth sense....and now I can't help but to shake my head in sarcastic disbelief when it was confirmed by a worker....

Same old operation

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: