Quantcast How do you budget for souvenirs? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: How do you budget for souvenirs?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Set an amount for each person for each day/park

13 12.87%
  • Set an amount for each person for the whole trip

42 41.58%
  • Don't budget anything and just buy what you want, when you want

46 45.54%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What I do is take how ever much I saved and split for how many days I'm there. What I don't spend each day I have for the next day.

So like I know I'm going to be at only one park if there's something I want I buy it, but if I'm going to be there more than once I'll wait to get it.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on two things, how many times you go and how much self control do you have?? When we used to only go once or twice a year, we usually spent a lot more on souvenirs and memorabilia than we do now that we go monthly. We would usually set a an amount per person per day and it was theirs to spend as they see fit. If they went over one day, then there was less to spend on the next day.
    DDuck66
    Disney Veteran

2000- Once
    2001- Twice
    2002- Three Times
    2003- Three times
    2004 Twice
    2005 Twice
    2006- October and Christmas
    2007- The year of the annual pass!!!
    2008- Concierge at the POLY!!!!
    2009- Birthdays in January and March!!!!
    2010- Lots of trips..Too many to count!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't budget for them, but I honestly just don't buy like I used to because I just don't see much I like anymore. It seems so much is based around Pirates and Princesses, a lot of the clothing seems to be of less quality, I don't even care for the style of snowglobes anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Our only budget is how much can our suitcase limit hold (2 checked bags per person @ 50 lbs each) and our Customs excemption. It would be a real pain in the **** to have to start and pay the Canadian taxes on such a long trip. Just to have customs try and decide which items would be taxable.........too long.
    Have to say that my baggage weight was over on our Dec 07 trip and I did have to pay for extra weight.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DNS View Post
    I don't budget for them, but I honestly just don't buy like I used to because I just don't see much I like anymore. It seems so much is based around Pirates and Princesses, a lot of the clothing seems to be of less quality, I don't even care for the style of snowglobes anymore.
    I noticed the same thing during my past trip. I love to collect snowglobes, but I didn't even see any at the World of Disney store in December, so I ended up getting one from the Christmas store. BUT recently they look cheap/tacky (but the price isn't cheap) and some of them don't even play a song. Weird! I also had a hard time finding a cute t-shirt. I ended up buying a men's shirt because I didn't like any of the womens shirts.
    I usually give my kids $100 per DD (we always stay at least 4 days when they go with me) and I allow my self about $200.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

I think things are way over priced, so we usually don't buy too much. My DD however, saves her money all year to buy princess and Hannah Montana things. Both my DH and my DD and DS all started pin trading, so I usually get them some pins. If I get anything, it is usually earrings or something like that. I really perfer stopping in St Augustine on the way down and going to the Disney Premier Outlet. They sale Disney park merchanidise. I let the kids, DH, and I get some things there. They are much cheaper and then they don't want as much when we get to the parks. My DH got a sweatshirt that he saw later in the park for $10 and it was $52 in the park! I got a t-shirt with Mickey on it at the outlet for $10 and it was $29 in the park! Some things are last season, but they still had some very nice things!
    Dec 08 SSR & first trip at holidays!
    Jan/Feb 09 Girl's only weekend with McGoofy!
    Sept 09 bounceback free dining again!

"I just want to live happily ever after every now and then." Jimmy Buffett

Post Thanks / Like

I really do not budget for this because we normally do not buy much. I will give my DS $100 in dd when we check in. The last three trips he has cashed them back in at check out. One year he wanted to buy a sword . We knew this before we went so we did budget for this (to give him a price range to look for). He is a pin trader that prefers the hunt for the perfect pin. We may buy a couple of new pins but nothing to break the bank. DH and myself might buy a shirt/hat and a christmas ornament.

When DS was younger, it was easier to get caught up in all the shops. I guess we are past that stage...maybe he is learning the value of a dollar

First trip 1972
    Last trip 7/11
    Next trip 6/12

Post Thanks / Like

We don't budget - which was dangerous the first couple of trips... but not so bad now. We just don't buy much any more. I like to get Mickey stuff for my kitchen, like towels or pot holders, and maybe nice stuff for the bathroom. but most of it I can get online in the Clearance part of Disney shopping.
    KTF = KERMIT T. FROG!

Last trips:
    Oct 2011 Food and Wine!
    Dec 2006 WL
    Sept 2007 POFQ
    Disney West Dec 10-13, 2008
    Disney West Dec 13-16, 2009

NEXT: Oct 2015 Food and Wine at the World !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrishaTrish View Post
    what are Disney Dollars? Next week will be our first trip, and I have set the kids(4) on their own budget......just curious what a Disney Dollar is, lol, is it something I need??
    Disney dollars are a form of Disney currency. I buy them at the local Disney store (at the mall). they come in $1, $5, and $10 increments and spend like regular cash at most WDW locations and the Disney store (I believe a few other places as well). Each denomination has a different character face where the president would normally be.

I have relatives buy Disney Dollars for DS for birthdays/holidays as he is much less tempted to buy and can easily save them for the upcoming trip! Last trip, he had over $300 disney dollars that had been given to him!!

You don't "HAVE TO" have them though, WDW takes cash and credit too!

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could say that money is no problem, and that when we see something we like we buy it.

But money is a problem, and we still see something we like and buy it.

Maybe they should come out with something similar to the DDP for souvenirs, pay one price per day per person and get X # of souvenirs/day/person.

Post Thanks / Like

we learned real fast that shopping is a big waste of time and money, most of it ends up on the back shelf. after so many trips ,what i can tell you to do is go buy another memory card for your digital camera and take as many pictures as possible, they are better than anything you can buy. we then burn them to a cd slide show and let it run on our tv, great way to remember each trip
    3/82 3/85 3/88 3/91-offsite
    4/92 Poly
    5/01 Coronado
    5/02 Yacht
    5/04 Yacht
    5/05 PO RS
    11/05 PO FQ
    5/06 Yacht
    5/07 WL
    5/08 AS Music 10/08 Dolphin
    5/09 Contemp 10/09 Boardwalk Villa
    5/10 Contemp-Atrium 10/10 Beach
    5/11 Contemp 10/11 Yacht
    5/12 Yacht cl 10/12 Dolphin
    4/13 Yacht cl

Post Thanks / Like

If we like it, we buy it. Within reason, of course. My DH tells me each time he sees the Arribas Bros. Cinderella Castle for $37,500, that I will have that some day. He makes me laugh. He's a real kidder that one.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Default on a budget

This will be my first trip, but we will be giving the boys each probably $20 a day that they can spend, or save up for something bigger at the end of the week. I will get the tshirt and mickey ears, etc.

Also, I had a friend who searched the Disney store for several months ahead and got some things on sale, and had a little goodie bag for them every morning when her kids got up. She said it curbed the nick-nack attraction, and they seemed to want to spend on nicer things.

Post Thanks / Like

The DD’s save up their own money to spend for themselves and they have to budget that. We, as parents, pick and choose when it is appropriate to buy them additional items. For us, it depends on how well the kids are behaving and what, if anything, they are requesting.
    BKJ

Wilderness Lodge May '13
    FW Campsite Jan '13
    FW Cabins May '11
    FW Campsite Dec '10
    Offsite Nov '10
    FW Cabins May '10
    FW Cabins Dec '09
    FW Cabins May '09
    FW Campsite Dec '08
    FW Cabins May '07
    Swan Dec '06
    FW Cabins May '06
    Offsite June '99
    FW Campsite Aug '79
    Contemporary '76

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We really don't have a budget but we do try to
    watch what we spend at times. If we see some
    thing that we really want then we buy it. We do
    eat most of the time at counter service which
    saves some money.

Post Thanks / Like

We used to let the kids go wild. Then, we went to setting limits for the trip. But, the best system we have found works really great. We have a box for each kid and then we put all of our extra change and EVERY one dollar bill that we get in there. They usually have 50 to 100 dollars each. We go to the disney store to trade our money in for disney dollars. When the kids are out of money, that is it!!

Post Thanks / Like

I make a list of things that i would like to pick up while there and go from there. Like a couple shirts,pins,xmas ornaments,picture frames and whatever catches our eye.From the past I have i idea on the prices so i go from there.
    Me and Goofy r Goofie for each other !!!!!
    first visit 1978,1981,84,88,96,97,99,2000,02(honeymoon),04,09, looking 4 the next trip in 13! o the pain of the wait!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't usually budget- at the end of the trip I just spend my left over money!

2004-Allstar Movie
    2004-Allstar Movie
    2006-Allstar Movie- he proposed!!

2007-Allstar Movie
    2007- Allstar Music
    2008- September, December trip
    2009 June, Novemebr trip

"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's very tough to read"
    M Twain

Post Thanks / Like

I keep my souvenier spending pretty low. usually just a refillable mug and some stuff from Japan. Pictures are usually good enough for me.
    1994 - Caribean Beach
    1996 - Boardwalk
    1999 - Caribean Beach
    2000 - Institute
    2001 - Beach Club
    2006 - Animal Kingdom lodge
    2008 - Boardwalk
    2015 - Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

It would be great to have an unlimited amount.
    It's not 'work' if your doing something you enjoy. Let's just say that I 'work' 5 days out of every 7.

And why do I work? So that I can take my family to WDW, silly goose!

00 - Swan
    03 - Caribbean Beach
    04 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    06 - POR
    07 - Contemporary
    08 - POR
    09 - POR
    2010 - Disney Wonder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: