Quantcast American Idol Attraction Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

This is really disappointing! What a waste of space and money. There are so many good movies that they could have easily turned into a great dark ride in this area. Is Disney really that desperate for ideas?!
    Erin- WDW College Program Alumni and current WDW Seasonal Merchandise CM- The Art of Disney Gallery/Wonderful World of Memories/Disney Days of Christmas @ Downtown Disney Marketplace ºOº

Last Trip: June 4-6, 2010 @ CBR- Pirate Room!

Next Trip: Spring Break 2011

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

OK - so on my next visit, I'll by-pass that building as I always have done. What a lame-brain idea.

2018 Port Orleans Riverside
    2012 Port Orleans Riverside
    2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
    2009 Grand Floridian
    2007 Contemporary
    2006 Grand Floridian
    2004 Polynesian
    1980 Day trip to MK

Post Thanks / Like

I normally like to give something Disney does a chance and experience it first hand myself. Then I decide whether I like it or not. However, this seems like a terrible idea. Who wants to go on vacation to listen to a bunch of people sing for no reason?
    Sept 2005 - All Star Movies
    Sept 2006 - Pop Century!
    Sept 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2008 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2008 - All Star Music
    Aug 2009 - Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 - All Star Music
    Aug 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I am actually shocked that ALL of the responses thus far are so negative. Is Idol losing ratings? Yes. But it is still CRUSHING the competition. The truth of the matter is TV ratings on the whole have been down substantially (and this started way before the writers strike).

I actually think it could be interesting. I love hearing people sing, and I love to sing myself. I would definitely check it out. I mean do I think that Disney could do better? Of course. But I'm sure I'll enjoy more than Sounds Dangerous, LMA, Playhouse Disney (I have no kids), Backlot Tour... actually maybe it's just that my standards have become so low that I am happy about anything that SLIGHTLY interests me. Oh well, we shall see.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I too think many are certainly over reacting... yes that means you Ian and JPL

This is much better than dead space, has the potential for some fun, and could be interesting. Not everything needs to be a ride and lets not forget, Toy Story Mania - a NEW INTERACTIVE DARK RIDE - should be open about this time as well right around the corner.

IDOL is HUGE. While I would have liked to have seen this done 2 years ago, I'll take it now and enjoy the attraction while it's there.

Sit back and relax. There are other opportunities for Disney to hit home runs. This has the potential to be a double - and I'm ok with that.

A nice place to sit out of the heat, you get to try out for IDOL, the audience gets to see some raw talent or comedy... and a theatre that has sat empty is being used.

And for those who are complaining about Millionaire... HUH???? Again, it was entertaining, topical and had it's run. It also was fun to participate in.

Remember, this is DISNEY STUDIOS - the TV tie in to the biggest show on television is only natural and a good deal for Disney as well as Simon Fuller.

A Chill Pill is in order here. If you want to attack something, write Disney about the lousy rehab of Spaceship Earth, not for filling dead space with a hit show that will no doubt entertain most who come to the park if well done...

< / rant >
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ian I concur

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Funny, that's exactly what I was thinking.

This is pathetic.

And before everyone asks me why I say that ... here's why:

• #1, this is clearly something that's going to be done for next to no money. Another example of Disney filling empty space that used to be occupied by a great attraction (i.e. Superstar Studio) with cheap-o filler.
    • It continues the trend of too many new attractions being shows or movies. I've said it before and I'll say it again ... WHERE ARE THE DARK RIDES??
    • It's not their own idea. They once again went out and drew in someone else's intellectual property when so many of their own successful properties are still underexposed in the theme parks. I don't go to Disney World to see American Idol ... I go to see Disney characters, Disney properties, or at a very minimum ideas and concepts that feel Disney (i.e. Indy, Star Wars, etc.).
    • It's going to be exclusionary. Only people who can sing or have a desire to make fools of themselves (of which I am neither) will be able to enjoy the attraction.
    Maybe I'm overreacting and I'll feel better about it after I have time to digest it, but right now I hate it.

To me this represents the lowest Disney World has sunk to date in terms of new attractions. And that includes all the recent disasters like Stitch, Imagination, and Spaceship Earth. At least those pretended to be original!
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

I too will be bypassing this one ( John!)

If I want to see little kids singing on stage, I will go to a school musical/play.

If I want to hear teenagers/adults belting it out, I will go to a karaoke bar.

If I want air conditioning there are other attractions at DHS that I can sit through, or shops I can walk into.

This does not interest me at all.
    Lea-Ann
    The Creative Mind that Never Rests . . .

Dreaming of Disney.......
    Last Trip - Dec 14-21, 2012 AKL!!! Next Trip - TBA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Wow. I am actually shocked that ALL of the responses thus far are so negative. Is Idol losing ratings? Yes. But it is still CRUSHING the competition. The truth of the matter is TV ratings on the whole have been down substantially (and this started way before the writers strike).

I actually think it could be interesting. I love hearing people sing, and I love to sing myself. I would definitely check it out. I mean do I think that Disney could do better? Of course. But I'm sure I'll enjoy more than Sounds Dangerous, LMA, Playhouse Disney (I have no kids), Backlot Tour... actually maybe it's just that my standards have become so low that I am happy about anything that SLIGHTLY interests me. Oh well, we shall see.
    THANK YOU!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wanting MGM to get more attractions but this? Sounds like karaoke Disney style to me. We're big AI fans who watch weekly but I can't picture it having any staying power as an attraction, just look at Millionaire. I hope I'm wrong.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds interesting to me. I think I'll give it half a chance before I decide if it warrants being torn to shreds.

Idol is huge, like it or not. I watched a couple seasons religiously, others not so much. I'm enjoying this season so far, but I always love the first round auditions.

Lighten up, and give it a chance. It's Disney Hollywood Studios, not Disney Hollywood Dark Rides....let them actually put some "studio" stuff in there.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

It's sad when we have to say that something is better than dead space and a good place to get some AC. The standards at Disney used to be so much better. I'll pass on this new attraction.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

pogo Guest

Welcome to the world of negativity !

I think if given a chance, this could be really good ! American Idol still pulls a lot in the ratings and a lot of people like to sing. Some good and some bad.

I'd rather watch a show of people singing than watching cars run in circles for 30 minutes !

What I like about this is it includes guest's into the experience.

Give it a chance.... you might be surprised !

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

My informal count shows negative responses = 20, positive responses = 6.

I feel like I'm in a pretty solid majority here.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

No thank you. If Disney wants to add a show from Fox, why not the Moment of Truth, Disney-style!

Park Guests could be strapped to a lie detector and asked such questions as..

Have you ever taken flash pictures after being told no flash photography??

Have you used the same refillable mug for more than one visit??

Did you ever try to sneak into Extra Magic Hours, and weren't a resort guest??

I'd actually sit through something like that first.
    Jerry

"I only hope we never lose sight of one thing..that it was all started by a mouse."--Walt Disney

Our favorite trip...the NEXT one!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=John;1541512]I too think many are certainly over reacting... yes that means you Ian and JPL

Us over react Never!!
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this sounds like something that is PERFECT for the studios!

It's a show! You know, like everyone complains the studios don't DO anymore...

You may not like the American Idol show, but it doesn't mean it's not a good idea for a studio show.

And Millionaire was a great thing to have at the studios as well.
    Another 'live show' even if it was fake.

The only thing that would be better is if they started taping Regis or some other big daily show there, so that you could REALLY participate in a show.
    May 2007 All Star Music
    Oct 2003 All Star Music
    May 2000 Old Key West
    June 1996 Dixie Landings
    May 1987 Offsite
    May 1982 Offsite

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see several challenges with developing an American Idol based show that have to be addressed:

1.) Music licensing- securing the performance rights. There will be some artists/composers where the rights are either too expensive, or difficult to secure (the artist doesn't want their song butchered by a performer).

Generally, the more recent (current- radio airplay) musical selections (it can be argued about their musicality or lack of) can be difficult to secure often because of cost. Also, producers are reluctant to go with a current song for overuse by people auditioning so preference is often given to selecting older pieces of music which might also appeal to a wider demographic base.

However, this being Disney, don't be surprised if there's going to be a flood of related property tie-ins (I wouldn't be surprised if you have to prepare to have to sit through lots of renditions of Hannah Montana or High School Musical related songs).

2.) Let's face it, but part of the appeal of American Idol is watching to see what acerbic putdown and insults Simon will dish out to the latest hopeful that has their dreams dashed.

Is it inevitable that some Idol hopeful will have a painful reality check even though it will be stressed repeatedly that this isn't really an American Idol audition and the audience will have to witness a near breakdown on stage as entertainment?

And even though it's a theme park show meant just for fun for the audience (no actual prizes awarded, etc)- could it be considered exploitative if they put someone on stage who can't sing but truly believes they can?

3.) Brand confusion- how does Disney promote American Idol in the parks without wanting to promote the show airing on a competitor's TV network while keeping Fremantle/19 happy? Be sure to watch American Idol at 8pm on *mumble, mumble* but then tune over to ABC at 9 to catch the latest episode of Extreme Bowling Home Videos, Cousin Swap Edition.

4.) I'm also certain there will be some restrictions on the show- a no video-taping rule in effect. The producers of the TV show while stating this does not serve as an audition to the actual TV show will likely still want participants to sign a release and reserve the right to record the audition performances should someone make it onto the program or for other marketing purposes.

Will there be any legitimate concerns about what sort of release participants will be required to sign (parent/guardian signatures for minors). And let's say junior makes it to appear in the in-park show- as excited as you may be about their performance, you probably won't be allowed to take pictures or video to show everyone at home of their AI-lite triumph which will be frustrating to many park guests if such policy is put in place.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my! This is going to be heated!

I was just telling my husband about this new endeavour for Disney and he asked me "You're doing it right?!" My response... "Um, no."

I'll be honest. I really like American Idol and now days, people who DON'T win seem to get really good careers out of the show. I've been a long time follower of the show and our whole family is just sucked in to this television drug.

As for an American Idol attraction... i'm a little nervous. It could be wonderful and it could crash and burn. I'm leary about the fact that the "panel" are audience members. If someone is particularly cruel, it could get ugly and uncomfortable to watch. Disney really needs to be careful with how they execute this project.

It has great potential in the sense that American Idol is huge and probably will be for a few more years - at least if the AI producers keep the show in tip top shape. I don't think that Disney is risking the bank on this attraction since they don't have to put a lot of money into it and if AI goes belly up they can always change the format of the show into "Don't Forget The Lyrics" or something. Which, to me... is a more interesting concept but it's definitely not as big as Idol.

I'm excited to see how this turns out. I'll remain positive.
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyMouse View Post
    No thank you. If Disney wants to add a show from Fox, why not the Moment of Truth, Disney-style!

Park Guests could be strapped to a lie detector and asked such questions as..

Have you ever taken flash pictures after being told no flash photography??

Have you used the same refillable mug for more than one visit??

Did you ever try to sneak into Extra Magic Hours, and weren't a resort guest??

I'd actually sit through something like that first.
    Now this is an idea I could get behind!

Here's some more potential questions:

• Have you ever used a wheelchair or scooter in the parks when you didn't need one, just so you could get to the head of the lines?
    • Have you ever let friends or family cut in line with you when you were in line ahead of them?
    • Have you ever intentionally run into the back of someone's legs with your stroller?
    • Do you actually like It's a Small World, even though you pretend to others that you don't?
    • Have you ever used parking at the Contemporary to access the Magic Kingdom?
    Great idea!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Millionaire at least required some bit of intellect to play, not torturing Guests with people who think they can sing. If you wanted to listen to people sing, sit at Fantasmic before it starts and listen to all the different national anthems being presented to you by the tour groups.

Also, what kind of songs will it be? Only Disney songs? Not everyone knows all the words (unless they are from Intercot). Popular songs? I wouldn't let my kids sing or listen to the majority of the music they play these days. Oldies? Most people around my age don't know them unless they were used for a movie.

I don't think it needs to be a dark ride, but there are other things they could have put there. Maybe even a virtual reality system where you can create and star in your own movie would be better than American Idol. They could have made a ride based on Kingdom Hearts (personal bias there) or they could have out a Nightmare before Christmas ride. There are many untouched Disney films that could have has something there or even, making an actual Narnia ride and converting the exhibit into an extensive prop and costume exhibit (because there isn't enough in Backlot). Make a museum for the props used in old Disney rides instead of letting them all rot in the MK cast parking.

There are about a million more ideas that would have been better than this. I would have preferred another Pixar ride before American Idol. And no, I'm not all that excited about the stupid Toy Story Mania ride since to me, it's nothing more than an upgraded version of Buzz (showing that again, Disney has no originality and is just copying other rides).

I love Disney, but they need something new and fresh. Heck, buy the rights to like...Lord of the Rings and make an attraction out of that! Make Middle Earth Land!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: