Quantcast American Idol Attraction Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

You've got to be kidding, right?

As if I would waste my valuable time at WDW on this!? Yeah, right!
    Heather

YC-7/99,00,8/07
    BC-8/01
    Poly-8/02,03,7/05

POR-12/03,9/11
    WL-7/04
    POFQ-12/04,8/06
    Pop-10/05,5/07,12/08,8/09,1/11,3/13
    CBR-11/07,09,10/11,5/12
    ASMo-1/09
    ASSp-1/10,8/12

Offsite-8/08,5/09
    ASMu-8/10,11/10
    CSR-8/10
    AoA-12/12, 9/13

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    I love Disney, but they need something new and fresh ...
    You can say that again.

I'll tell you what. Disney better be careful. Sea World is starting to make a real push in Central Florida with the addition of their new, high-end water park and we all know that Universal is going to have a gold mine on their hands with the Harry Potter stuff they're opening.

If WDW doesn't get their act together and soon, they're going to find themselves stuck holding the bag next year. You can only fool people with "celebrations" for so long in a down economy .... eventually they're going to want something more for their money ...
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    My informal count shows negative responses = 20, positive responses = 6.

I feel like I'm in a pretty solid majority here.
    Welcome to the world of Negativity Ian - where Disney Wolrd INSIDERS cant see the forest for the trees and overlook that the normal visitor will enjoy this sort of thing.

John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Well, put me in the minority here, since I loved Millionaire (went at least 2x each day we were in DHS) and think this is a fun and interesting concept.

Coming from a music background and having kids who love to sing and perform, this would be a fun experience for us, even if we didn't make it to the stage. I'm not an AI fan, but I do enjoy "Don't Forget the Lyrics" and did like some of the other music related shows that didn't pan out.

Is it for everyone? Probably not. (many attractions are not) But i think even without the show tie-in it would be a fun expereince. Mind you, we really liked SST when it was there and were sad to see the space go unused for so long.

We're not a 'thrill ride' bunch so this just adds to our list of DHS 'do's' along with TSM, unlike the prior additions of TOT or RNRC.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Welcome to the world of Negativity Ian - where Disney Wolrd INSIDERS cant see the forest for the trees and overlook that the normal visitor will enjoy this sort of thing.
    Well I guess I disagree with that ... I think we are "the normal visitors" and IMO it looks like about 75% of people think this idea stinks.

You can be overly negative, but you can also be overly positive, too ... you said this is attraction is a "double", but to me it smells like an "out."

Edited to add: You know, one more thing ... INTERCOT is hardly "the world of Negativity"! If anything, our members tend to be overly positive towards Disney. I think it shows just how bad this idea is that so many people on this site are bashing it.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Before I start I have to admit that I liked the Millionaire thing and I was sad to see it go. But an American Idol thing just seems like a bad idea. Even though millions still watch the show, the ratings are declining. The other day when Idol was on I was wondering how much longer this show will be on the air. Now I see that this new attraction is being built. I’m surprised that a show with declining ratings got a green light for an attraction. It makes me wonder if it’s Idol trying to put life into the Disney Studio’s or Disney trying to help put life back into American Idol.

Also, it seems cool that they are going to make audience members judges, but when if we get a particular harsh guest that totally crushes the dreams of some singer that was hoping the Disney American Idol was their ticket to Hollywood? We see how disappointed singers react on the show, what if they have the same reaction in the park? I know if I was a judge and I gave a thumbs down to a singer (although I don’t think I could ever fill Simon’s shoes and be cruel) and I saw that person later on in the line for Rock’n Roller Coaster then it would make for an awkward moment.

With that being said, I will probably check it out. If anything it will get me out of the heat and into the air conditioning for some time. And I enjoy my fair share of karoke bars every now and then. But, it might end up like the Lights, Motors show and be a “been there, done that” thing.

I’ve heard so many good things about the Indiana Jones ride in California that I’ve been crossing my fingers for them to put one here. The fact that they passed it over for an American Idol attraction leaves me a little disappointed.
    ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This COULD be interesting, but how many people are going to want to spend the best part of a day to be a contestant? With the audition, makeup, competition, possible callback for finals -- this would easily take up an entire day.

For the audience, it would be an investment in watching each show during the daily 'qualifying,' then returning for the finals in the evening. Again, this could take up the best part of an entire day at the park.

Sorry, my park time is much better spent elsewhere. A half hour, audience participation show like 'Millionaire' would be a much better option.

lockedoutlogic Guest

Funny, that's exactly what I was thinking.

This is pathetic.

And before everyone asks me why I say that ... here's why:

• #1, this is clearly something that's going to be done for next to no money. Another example of Disney filling empty space that used to be occupied by a great attraction (i.e. Superstar Studio) with cheap-o filler.
    • It continues the trend of too many new attractions being shows or movies. I've said it before and I'll say it again ... WHERE ARE THE DARK RIDES??
    • It's not their own idea. They once again went out and drew in someone else's intellectual property when so many of their own successful properties are still underexposed in the theme parks. I don't go to Disney World to see American Idol ... I go to see Disney characters, Disney properties, or at a very minimum ideas and concepts that feel Disney (i.e. Indy, Star Wars, etc.).
    • It's going to be exclusionary. Only people who can sing or have a desire to make fools of themselves (of which I am neither) will be able to enjoy the attraction.
    Maybe I'm overreacting and I'll feel better about it after I have time to digest it, but right now I hate it.

To me this represents the lowest Disney World has sunk to date in terms of new attractions. And that includes all the recent disasters like Stitch, Imagination, and Spaceship Earth. At least those pretended to be original!

I agree....this stinks of on the cheap and easy....

what is funny is that they have an arsenal of movie and tv material and a standing relationship with one of the most successful entertainment figures of the last 35 years in George Lucas (last star wars movies aside)....

and they can't seem to come up with anything. I know that Toy Story Mania is being installed as "cornerstone" type attraction...possibly to allow a major redo of the Movie Ride....

....but this is a pathetic move...perhaps they are putting the breaks on development in anticipation of the projected economic recession....which I'm not sure what that would even mean anymore

Post Thanks / Like

A Chill Pill is in order here. If you want to attack something, write Disney about the lousy rehab of Spaceship Earth, not for filling dead space with a hit show that will no doubt entertain most who come to the park if well done...
    John, if you're going with the "it will please the masses" argument then let me assure you that the general public certainly will not be riding the new SSE and looking around saying "this ride stinks because they want me to look at a screen for the last five minutes!"

I don't have a problem with Disney pairing with American Idol and the idea of doing live auditions in the parks sounds like a good one. The problem comes with expecting average theme park guests to make for watchable singers at multiple shows a day. I could get behind the idea of having an "American Idol Theater" that is designed exactly like the real one they use on the show (or a replica of one they have used since they change it every season.) They could do tours of the theater or something along the lines of an explanation of what the performers go through on a daily basis. Maybe mutiple times a year they could do real auditions there and let the audience come in and out in segments to view it (kind of like when they did real Millionaire tapings or back in the day when they taped WCW wrestling shows) and turn it into an event center. Maybe even get former contestants and rejects to come in and perform at off times when they don't have an audition going on.

Honestly, though, the success of this attraction will have very little to do with its actual quality and more to do with how much effort Disney puts into promoting it. We can complain about Journey into Your Imagination as much as we want but the real reason the ride bombed was because Disney never put one bit of effort into promoting it. If you spend enough time and effort on billboards, commercials, resort TV segments, and guidemap covers people are going to think the ride is a big deal and go over there.

Now this is an idea I could get behind!

Here's some more potential questions:

• Have you ever used a wheelchair or scooter in the parks when you didn't need one, just so you could get to the head of the lines?
    • Have you ever let friends or family cut in line with you when you were in line ahead of them?
    • Have you ever intentionally run into the back of someone's legs with your stroller?
    • Do you actually like It's a Small World, even though you pretend to others that you don't?
    • Have you ever used parking at the Contemporary to access the Magic Kingdom?
    Great idea!
    I like this idea too!

• Have you ever tried to keep a Fastpass and use it again immediately after exiting?
    • Do you really hate Michael Eisner or do you just say it because you hear other people saying it?
    • Do you keep your arms inside the vehicle at all times?
    • (For a Disney bus driver) Did you ever tell a guest some piece of Disney "news" that you made up in the shower before heading into work?
    • (To a Jungle Cruise skipper) Have you ever deviated from the script?
    • (To Michael Eisner) Do you really hate us all?
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Well I guess I disagree with that ... I think we are "the normal visitors" and IMO it looks like about 75% of people think this idea stinks.

You can be overly negative, but you can also be overly positive, too ... you said this is attraction is a "double", but to me it smells like an "out."

Edited to add: You know, one more thing ... INTERCOT is hardly "the world of Negativity"! If anything, our members tend to be overly positive towards Disney. I think it shows just how bad this idea is that so many people on this site are bashing it.
    YOU are not a normal visitor. The normal visitor is someone who goes once maybe every 4-5 years or even someone who gets to go once during their childhood - like my wife did. Guessing you also skip most of the "shows" in the parks in favor of rides. I know I do most of the time because I AM NOT A NORMAL VISITOR. The fact that I can go to a park and never get on a ride the whole day makes me not normal. I don't feel like I have to do anything when I go there. People watching, browsing, walking around suffices. Heck, I'll take 2-3 spins on the TTA or just ride a monorail for fun to EPCOT and back.

BTW, it's 75% of the people in this thread. Negativity breeds negativity.

Not saying there is anything wrong with our love for the parks - heck - I built a whole site around it - but we are not the average visitor and our opinions are definately torked accordingly. The average guest is going to like this - and my guess is, it will be the 3rd most popular thing there behind TOT and RNR. Time will tell.

Pleaaaaase folks. This is replacing DOUG Live and Superstar Television and sits next to Sounds Dangerous. It's not like this was an E Ticket space anyway. It's a show park and this is the most popular SHOW on the planet. If done right, this can be a welcome addition for the next 2-3 years.

Btw, my informal survey says 100% of the Yaglenski family think this is a good idea.

It's all about execution. Hopefully, Disney will find a way to make this interactive and fun.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Club Babe View Post
    You've got to be kidding, right?

As if I would waste my valuable time at WDW on this!? Yeah, right!
    You said it sister!!! I may avoid that park if they do this one! I wish they would put Indiana Jones ride in this park, that would be cool! I think my kids would like this AI thing. Who knows, I wasn't happy when they changed Pirates, but now it's one of my favorite rides and movies, so I try to stay open.

Post Thanks / Like

To me this represents the lowest Disney World has sunk to date in terms of new attractions. And that includes all the recent disasters like Stitch, Imagination, and Spaceship Earth. At least those pretended to be original![/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. What a no brainer of an attraction this will be. There is no way that the interest of American Idol can be catured in a six show a day poorly invented show. Where is the Imagineering in this???
    DDuck66
    Disney Veteran

2000- Once
    2001- Twice
    2002- Three Times
    2003- Three times
    2004 Twice
    2005 Twice
    2006- October and Christmas
    2007- The year of the annual pass!!!
    2008- Concierge at the POLY!!!!
    2009- Birthdays in January and March!!!!
    2010- Lots of trips..Too many to count!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

John, I love you like a brother and you know that, so I feel safe in saying ...

What are you smokin'?

Forget all about the possibility for this to be entertaining or not ... it doesn't at all bother you that Disney went outside again to get material and that they went to a reality T.V. show? One that is one the way down in terms of popularity, I might add.

There are many, many people who consider reality T.V. and American Idol to be the bottom rung of the ladder when it comes to entertainment ... one step above Jerry Springer ... do you really think it's a good idea to associate the name "Disney" with a product of that perceived quality?

What's next? A meet and greet with Donald Trump???
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Ai

We can always put back Superstar TV and update that with new shows, at least it was a different experience each time, because it was funny to see how the guests would act out the shows.

I probably will sit through AI once in my visit, to check it out, and they make a dcision at that point if I like it or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, Disney uses music in the YOAMD ads from the UNIVERSAL Peter Pan movie, so nothing surprises me anymore!

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by John
    This is replacing DOUG Live and Superstar Television...
    On that note, isn't this basically Superstar Television re-born?

At the core of both attractions, audience members will become part of a famous show while the rest of the audience watches.

On the surface I think this is a good attraction for the Studios park and one that revitalizers one of the the original park's offerings--being able to become part of a television show.

Individuals may have their qualms with American Idol as a show, but the Studios park structure is to have short term attractions that reflect currently poplar entertainment. While American Idol may not be showing the same ratings as it once did, it is still a top rated show. Mixing in these short term attractions with more longstanding, "classic" attractions provides Guests more reasons for repeat visits--come back for your favorites as well as the new flavor of the times.

My only concern is the actual execution of it.

Each day will the attraction be able to find an entertaining mix of willing contestants the mirror the successful mix of the show? In that, can the attraction day in and day out present an entertaining mix of those who think they are good but aren't and those that actually are good.

I think getting Guest judges is a mistake. Will the judges be comfortable enough to express their real opinions in front of a live crowd? How will contestants react if they get a Simon-esc review? Will it be entertaining if the judges know nothing about music or don't have a good ear?

Personally, I think it would be more successful if they could have Simon, Paula and Randy "judging by satalite". Have video screens with with the three that can play pre-recorded canned critiques and a Cast Member backstage (who knows sining) selecting the critiques to match the performance.

I'm looking forward to its opening, but I think there are some large hurdles in executing this as an entertaining (and not awkward) attraction.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

They shouldn't give in to fads. DHS has many attractions from timeless franchises:

Star Wars
    Indiana Jones
    Muppets
    Twilight Zone
    Aerosmith
    Toy Story (soon)

They should keep that going. American Idol is destined to be forgotten because it has no real substance.
    Disney Vacation Club Members: June 2008

Trips to WDW Since May 1996: 28
    Disney Cruises Since May 2007: 5

Trip #29: 01/2012: 5 Nights OKW

Cruise #6: 07/2012: Disney Magic Cruise to Canada

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I'm going to try to think of the positive side of this thing. With this "attraction" for lack of a better word, maybe there will be a lot of those who will hopefully like it and go there and give me a better place in line for RnR or TOT. Only because there are so many who are tone deaf and think that just because it sounds good in the shower, it sounds good everywhere.

Hey, that's the only advantage I can see for it. Doesn't hurt to hope does it, huh?
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

1) Let's recognize this for what it is
    . . . an attraction that is relatively cheap
    . . . an attraction that is relatively simple-minded
    . . . an attraction that fits into the "new" Disney of cheap and dumb
    2) OK, so that is maybe a little overboard.
    3) But, only a little.

4) In the past two decades, Disney has tried to get away cheap.
    5) They consistently don't put enough thought and money into their efforts.
    . . . Disney MGM - too rushed (to beat Universal) and too cheap
    . . . Disney California Adventure - need I say more?
    . . . Disney Studios Paris - looks like quonset huts
    . . . Disney Hong Kong - too small and not enough rides
    . . . Disney AK - great thought but cheaply executed *
    6) I think this attraction is just another example.

* Animal Kingdom was a great thought and cost money, but so much was ill-conceived or not built that it is a poor park. There were/are too few eateries and too few attractions. I think this makes the "conservation" them get lost. Plus, attractions had to be re-themed because they simply did not make sense (ie, Extinction, Big Red / Little Red). Joe Rohde had good ideas, but either his vision just wasn't far enough reaching or corporate didn't give enough money. If the before, then shame on Corporate for keeping the path; if the latter, then shame on Rohde for not changing some of the plans to make more-for-the-money.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I agree with John that an American Idol show will prove to be popular with average guests.

Really, will it be any different from standing in line especially during a cheerleading competition week and hearing groups of teenage girls singing/screaming? (now that I think of it, you have the perfect sponsorship opportunity right there- American Idol Live! Brought to you by the makers of Extra-Strength Excedrin).

And then there's the marketing potential here- all sorts of product merchandise to be sold (American Idol contestant CDs, T-shirts with "What's up Dawg" or Ryan Seacrest's face on them and maybe even a Simon Cowell plush that hurls insults at you when you squeeze it).

As the AI production company has said, it fills a gap for people who can't get enough of Idol when the show is not on the air.

For the parks you get a show with not much up-front capital investment required outside of licensing and some cosmetic touch-up of the theater space, that can swallow a huge capacity per hourly show that would be equal or exceed an E-ticket at a fraction of the cost. That's the business case justification which gets park management so excited.

Then there are the hooks to the show that can be used as destination events- whether it's serving as an Idol audition site, or arranging an American Idol weekend (like ESPN or Soap Opera Weekends with appearances by former Idol contestants or Randy, Paula or even Simon perhaps as a meet and greet) that could be part of a future deal to bring more guests to the resort.

The American Idol creators are anxious to expand their franchise as much as possible (there's even an Idol summer camp for kids now)- although I don't see a theme restaurant in the works... at least not yet.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: