Quantcast American Idol Attraction Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is - Yikes! I can't believe the negativity in this thread! I will say - I am definitely not one who will sing, and I may not even see one of the "shows", but I think we can all use a dose of realtiy here. (No pun inteaded) Remember, we aren't like "most" people. Most guests won't even know this attraction is there before they walk through the gates. I think this is a brilliant move on Disney's part. I really believe that sometimes we can get so caught up in thinking that WDW begins and ends in this online community, that we miss the big picture. American Idol, like it or not (I like it) is a cultural phenomenon - and I don't think that's overstating it. Why wouldn't Disney want to capitalize on that? Let's keep something in perspective here, too. The powers that be in Disney are put there for a reason - I have faith in their decisions - it's not always about what I like. It's my opinion that there's plenty of enjoyment to go around - even if it means - gasp! - having an attraction that not everyone in the Disney online community loves! Have faith, people! And if you don't enjoy this particular attraction - here's an idea - don't partake. That said - peace!
    October 1982 Days Lodge
    February 1992 Holiday Inn
    October 2001 Clarion Maingate
    April 2003 Wilderness Lodge
    March 2006 Caribe Royale Resort
    September 2006 Pop Century
    January 2012 Windsor Hills
    January 2014 Santa Cruz (Off-site) Marathon Weekend / Marathon Participant!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red Randal View Post

I think they should go the extra mile and have 3 judges insult the people who can't sing. Often when planning vacations I think "now where can I go to have my singing insulted by a British guy?" This could fill that void in the marketplace!
    This is the funniest thing I've read all day. Thanks for the smile.

My general take on this is simply: "WHY????"

Seriously...Disney doesn't need to be jumping on the reality show bandwagon INSIDE THEIR PARKS for goodness sake. We go to WDW to get A-W-A-Y from Reality television...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Lots of folks bent out of shape and the show hasn't even debuted yet.

On the surface I think this is a good attraction for the Studios park and one that revitalizes one of the the original park's offerings--being able to become part of a television show.
    That's how I see it.

I do not watch American Idol and I have no problem with this type of show coming to the Studios. The park is supposed to be about television and movies.

But what do I know?? I liked Millionaire.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

ok it's time for my two cents

first of all, I hate AI with a passion, and pretty much all it stands for. I am on the standpoint right now that america has too many idols. Of course, I am not trying to be racial here at all, but do you have to be an american? what if the person does not speak english? what if the judges don't? I just don't want to go to my favorite park to have something else I don't like jammed down my throat.

Oh well, what can you do? I can't make them not put it in.
    "That is just poor show" -Cruella DeVil

Post Thanks / Like

Need to fill a theater space? How about a musical?

Even better... Want to do this for the maximum benefit with minimum effort? How about the Aladdin show at DL? It's an excellent show, it fits in at the Studios, and all you need to do is duplicate the sets, props, and hire some actors.

Disney must be getting some gigantic payout for this...
    Geaux Tigers!

Last Trip: Honeymoon at DL and So. Cal. CityPass 5/27 - 6/2/2007

Next trip: WDW 9/6-12/2009 @ Pop for DD's 4th birthday!

Follow the trip on Twitter: scottinwdw.

Post Thanks / Like

Two thoughts: 1- remember the phenomenon called Millionaire, where is that now? American Idol is on its last breath, ratings are down, it has run its course, and outstayed its welcome. 2- Bring back superstar television with current, and classic ABC television shows to have guest star in. How fun was it to see guests in "Cheers" "I Love Lucy" and such??

Post Thanks / Like

This is TERRIBLE! I really can't stand American Idol, and I can't believe Disney is putting it in!

Maybe it will be something they replace soon...

Hopefully like Stitch's Great Escape!
    ºoº Matt | DisFan01 ºoº

"Playful spooks have interrupted our tour..."

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather have "Don't Forget the Lyrics"-that's funnier.

Did see Randy "Dawg" T shirt at Epcot's Coke place last weekend, thought it was odd. Don't forget the Coke connection...
    1972 Offsite
    '74 Polynesian ($27/night)
    '78 Quality Inn aka Sheraton Studio City
    '80 Disneyland
    '97 Hilton
    '98, '99 All Star Music
    2000, '01, '02 All Star Movies
    '05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06, '07, '08, '10, '11 Pop Century
    '07 Disneyland Paris (daytrip)
    '11 Dream cruise

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    It's sad when we have to say that something is better than dead space and a good place to get some AC. The standards at Disney used to be so much better. I'll pass on this new attraction.
    I was about to post the exact same response!
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

pogo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DisFan01 View Post
    Hopefully like Stitch's Great Escape!
    You are kidding, aren't you ??

Post Thanks / Like

Post Ai

I may be wrong, but it gives me an idea of how slow the wheels of Disney's corporate creativity process grind along from concept to execution.

Anyway, my wife really likes Idol, so I'm sure I will get to see this attraction even thought I think it is a silly idea. I just think there could be better things put there. It just seems like everyone put their brains on freeze one day and turned on the televisions and said, "hey, that would make a good attraction."

Again, how does that creative process work?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    BTW, it's 75% of the people in this thread. Negativity breeds negativity.

Personally, I didn't even have to read anyone else's reaction to decide that I do not like this idea. My gut reaction was it was a terrible idea. That being said, 2 of my teenagers think it's a great idea. So maybe they will go see it, but I will not. It is not that I do not like shows, I like the great majority of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

What's next? A meet and greet with Donald Trump???
    Frankly, I'd rather see "The Disney Apprentice" than "Disney American Idol"
    Heather

YC-7/99,00,8/07
    BC-8/01
    Poly-8/02,03,7/05

POR-12/03,9/11
    WL-7/04
    POFQ-12/04,8/06
    Pop-10/05,5/07,12/08,8/09,1/11,3/13
    CBR-11/07,09,10/11,5/12
    ASMo-1/09
    ASSp-1/10,8/12

Offsite-8/08,5/09
    ASMu-8/10,11/10
    CSR-8/10
    AoA-12/12, 9/13

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow

I don't know if I've ever seen Intercot in such an uproar! Look, if you don't like the idea, then okay, but it's not like they are pulling a popular attraction for this. It is going into an essentially unused space. I understood, although disagreed, when people were mad about Pooh replacing Mr. Toad, but this is different.

As far as cost, this will cost nothing (or next to nothing), which seems to infuriate some of you and confuse others. It seems some of you WANT Disney to spend millions and others think every penny is a waste.

As far as enjoying it, how is it that only 16-28 year old singers will enjoy this? At least 70% of the people who watch Idol every week are 29 or over and probably 99% can't sing (have you watched the auditions?).

As far as being a one shot attraction, this show will be different every time! And to whomever said the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor is a onetime deal, you must have been a disgruntled "that guy!"

Look, it seems to me that many of you want Disney to stay exactly the same forever and ever and even Walt said that wouldn't happen. And the Studios was supposed to be MORE than just Disney anyway. How many of the movies in the Great Movie Ride are Disney? Did Disney make bunches of B-Movies like those shown in Sci-Fi Dine In Theater? Is Twilight Zone and the Tower of Terror a Disney TV program? Is Aerosmith signed to Disney's record label (honestly, they might be, but that's not the point)? The point is that aside from the Animation Lot area, there is almost NOTHING Disney at the Studios, and what there is is almost all Pixar. They are trying to showcase the biggest, hottest things to ever come out of Hollywood. Or in the case of Idol, "going to Hollywood!"

Now, all of that being said, I DO wish that if Disney was going to borrow something from the Fox Network that that something would have been the Simpsons Ride that Universal got. Heck, Disney could have made an entire Simpsons park had they had the notion.

I'm not happy either that they are changing very little this year, reportedly due to the California Adventure whatever, but this happens every so often. I would much rather see Tom Sawyer Island become LOST Island. Anyone else?
    That's not funny! And I know funny! I'm a clown fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Well....I am almost speechless. MGM Studios (as it will always be to me) has reached an all time low. When this park needs more rides...big rides...to pull the crowd from the TofT/RnRC area, we get American Idol???

Whoever was paid big bucks to come up with this stupid idea owes some change back!!
    Disney Institute December 1999
    Ft. Wilderness June 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006-December 2007
    Caribbean Beach January 2008
    Port Orleans Riverside - January 2009
    Pop Century January 2007, December 2009, November 2010
    Pop CenturyOctober 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Club Babe View Post
    Frankly, I'd rather see "The Disney Apprentice" than "Disney American Idol"
    YES!!

Every week they have to do Apprentice style tasks ranging from being Jungle Cruise skippers, selling churros, eventually leading to big tasks like running weddings, golf tournaments, Wide World of Sports Events, and the best part...the winner gets to become an Imagineer!!

They should totally do this!
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

I am absolutely amazed at the response of most of the posters here. Like a few have said, American Idol is the #1 show on television. Some say it has lost viewers, but even by doing so, he show is on top, The fact that everyone is talking about it bears that out. I don't think Disney is going "cheap" on this one. If you look at the pictures, it appeaars it is going to be very impressive. I guess the only good thing about this one is the fact that since most of you will not be going, then I am going to get a good seat, each and every time I go. Matching up the #1 resort inj the world, with the #1 TV show, seems like a can't miss deal to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I'm surprised that so many people are complaining about the American Idol attraction...

-It's a non-PIXAR attraction, which we haven’t seen in a while.

-It seems similar to another interactive TV-themed attraction at the studios, Millionaire, which was successful while it was open.

-It has to do with Hollywood/the entertainment industry, unlike recent additions such as TSM which generally does not (I'm still trying to figure out how the Midway/Carnival games themed to Toy Story characters fits into a Hollywood studio themed park)

-Being a television-themed attraction, it will add to the Hollywood studio feel of the park that has been seriously lacking in recent years.

-It's better than an empty, deteriorating ABC Theatre.

It hasn't even opened yet, so you can't completely dismiss it and say its horrible. Yes, I feel that the American Idol craze is starting to die down, but it is still the most popular TV series and has been the highest rated show on American television since 2004. Also -- just because an American Idol attraction is coming does not mean that anything is going to happen to any other planned future additions to the studios or any other park.
    Chris
    "WDWizard"

Last Trip: Disney's Hollywood Studios/Blizzard Beach June 2008

Next Trip: Not anytime soon. Been there, seen it all, have too many t-shirts.

Post Thanks / Like

As I don't watch AI in real life - no way will I stand on line or <gasp> waste a fast pass on it - EVER.

I enjoyed the two times I saw Millionaire, because at least I had a shot at playing it.

This attraction is going to exclude a lot of people and also has the potential to give people big let downs when they skip the line to try to audition for AI.

My two cents......

They could have performed High School Musical Live in there - it would be packed for years - and give talented people a venue to perform!!
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

i guess i am one of the few who is on when i heard about this the other night. i woke dh up to tell him. idol is still huge here in mpls. i did not have the guts to try out the last season i could before i became (dare i say it )too old. however at disney on vacation i would have a blast. hope it is up in sept.
    jen

Post Thanks / Like

I feel that the popularity of American Idol is not as strong as it once was. I would hate to see an attraction become so short lived like Millionaire was.
    Millionaire was still enjoyable and drew decent crowds whenever I saw it.
    DigitalDaredevil
    VMK: EpcotRay

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: