Quantcast Remember These? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember These?

Post Thanks / Like

What about the Ditto pants (saddleback was my favorite), jelly shoes (yes), and parachute pants (I dream of Jeannie pants), and Atari.
    Yes I still have mine believe it or not and it still works.
    Walt will always be my HERO.

1973 - 1999 Disneyland twice a month
    2003 June offsite WDW
    2004 & 2006 Dec. AK
    2007 Feb. PP Disneyland
    2008 Jan. All Star Movies
    2009 Jun. DLH Disneyland

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember getting high on the fumes coming off the gestetner copies in school. The teacher would bring them fresh from the office for a test. The weirdest thing, seeing thirty kids get a brand new test and instead of signing their name, pick it up and sniff it.

And they say schools have a drug problem now!
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

LPs, 45s and 78s and a record player.
    Wearing some kind of scarf on your head to go to church (girls and ladies).
    Jane and Johnny West figures with all the plastic clothes and horses.
    Metal doll houses with plastic furniture bought with green stamps.
    Winkys fast food hamburger place that sold donuts.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offwego View Post
    Drinking from a hose..that would likely cause a major incident now!
    I loved drinking from a hose...the water tasted so much better.. just wipe the dirt off.
    I remember those but my family didn't have the big fork and spoon.
    I loved frozen cokes too when we used to put the bottles in the freezer to make them and be careful that we didn't let them explode.
    Anyone use a meat grinder before the Cuisinart's? I have my gm's old one that had the suction cups and enamel on top my cabinets.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

This is such a great thread! I had a Baby Krissy doll, the big read head one, there was also a teen one. My cousin owns a pair of Gene Simmon's Kiss handcuffs he got at a concert back in the 80's, I wouldn't want that, only something from Duran Duran or The Cure. Jeff, that's a great email.

Post Thanks / Like

Top loading VCRs.

My parents only got rid of their no-remote TV when I got married 6 years ago. Until then, it was always, "Go change the channel."
    "Oh that clock, even HE orders me around!"
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    Next trip: DLR February 2015
    Last trip: January 2014.
    7 trips to the World.
    1 trip to Disneyland Paris.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

How about riding in the "way back" of the station wagon, no seatbelts, hangin out the window pumpin your arm to get the semi truck drivers to honk.

Banana seats and sissy bars on your brand new Schwinn, that you rode everday, all day.
    Sharon
    * * ~ ~ * * ~ ~ * * ~ ~ * * ~ ~ * *~ ~ * * ~

Get me there soon or I might just go nuts!

1981 - Polynesian

2002- Wilderness Lodge

2005 - Port Orleans Riverside

2010 - POP Century

2017 in the works

Post Thanks / Like

How about candy cigarettes! With the red tips to look like the flame. *Gasp* How did we ever survive?
    I loved Marathon candy bars.
    Remember the metal lunch boxes? I had a Holly Hobbie one and my brother had one shaped like Snoopy's dog house.
    The Snoopy/Peanuts snow cone maker, lite brite and rubix cube were the hottest gifts for christmas.
    I also remember the jellies. And painter's caps!
    Great thread!
    Amy
    There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow...

Post Thanks / Like

I remember my dad having a Reel-to-Reel deck. We didn't have the "luxury" of having a cassette tape player. I also had gellie shoes. Monchichi was one of my favorites along with the Crissy doll. We had a "magic sand" that we would play with. I am not sure if it is the same thing that is out now. Ours, you could put into water and make different designs. Then when it was time to put it away, it was magically dry. I don't remember if it was called "magic sand" or not. I want to say it came in something similar to a "genie bottle". I had one of the painter's caps too.
    Rhonda

Trips to WDW: Priceless

Impossible is not a word.

Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a few days ago I went up in the attic to bring down my son's Easter basket. While I was up there, I opened up a box that my mom made me pack a few years ago when I had to clean out my old room. ( I had been married nearly 10 years at that point. It was time to clean house!)

I found lots of cool things from my childhood...argyle knee socks, leg warmers, my old Strawberry Shortcake doll, Holly Hobbie Colorforms, Merlin, Atari, outfits that were puchased to dress my Snoopy doll, and my old stamp collection. I even had a souvenier from my 1984 visit to WDW that had the old Epcot Center font/logo on it. That was fun finding all those old things.

I also remember this...Master Card used to be called Master Charge.

A Walkman cassette player in the 80's was what an iPod is now.

...Watching "After School Specials" on tv.

...Getting up at the crack of dawn to watch cartoons until noon because Saturday was the only day that you could watch cartoons.

I remember riding a bike with a basket and those straw things that we put on the spokes of our tires.

I like this thread. I feel like I am walking along the wall at Pop Century!!
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone remember the original Weebles? The ones shaped like eggs. I had a Rub-a-Dub Dolly. Currently have a Snoopy SnoCone Maker & a Rubix Cube.

Found a Reel to Reel movie projector in my Grandmother's closet when we were cleaning it out after she died (2 yrs ago).

I love After School Specials. How about "I'm a Bill, yes I'm Only a Bill, sitting at the top of Capitol Hill"

Someone mentioned the cribs with lead paint - how about those same cribs with the slots big enough to get your head through.

My mom still has my 10-speed Huffy silver bike in her garage. I got it Easter of 1977!!!
    So many ideas, so little time. I need a part-time job to support my craft habit.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Piglet822;1574176]
    Quote Originally Posted by mamacon67 View Post
    How about riding in the "way back" of the station wagon, no seatbelts, hangin out the window pumpin your arm to get the semi truck drivers to honk.
    I can remember the reason you pumped your arm like that--you were imitating the motion the driver had to make to pull the rope for the old air horns.

I can also remember watching the original Mickey Mouse Club on the black and white television, having a 'Sputnik' satellite model, my first transistor radio and a whole host of pre-computer, pre-jellies things. Also, a real penny arcade with old-time penny machines on the boardwalk. Wearing 'dungarees' instead of 'jeans'. No air conditioning in homes or cars. One black dial telephone per household. Mom wore a dress to do housework. Clothes hanging on the line every day. Think I'll just go check into the nursing home.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McGoofy View Post
    ...Getting up at the crack of dawn to watch cartoons until noon because Saturday was the only day that you could watch cartoons.
    Well how could anyone miss the Laff-A-Lympics,
    Scooby-Dooo (way before Scrappy), Captain Caveman, or Land of the Lost

You forgot to add that when watching these cartoons we would all get our own breakfast since mom & dad were still sleeping.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Schoolhouse Rock! The "I'm just a Bill" thing wasn't an Afterschool Special, it was Schoolhouse Rock, which aired between cartoon shows (on the hour and/or half hour) on Saturday mornings on ABC.

I still have my bright aqua-colored Easy Bake Oven, the one that was styled to look like a giant commercial oven.

Doesn't anyone else remember Giggles? She was a '60s doll, wearing a "hip" pink and orange dress and black plastic sandals, with shoulder-length blonde hair and bangs. When you moved her arms in and out from her sides, she tossed her head from side to side and giggled. I still have mine, with all her clothes, and she still works.

As I'm typing this, The Osmonds are performing on "Good Morning America" to celebrate their 50th anniversary of recording. They're doing a world tour this year. How bizarre!

My sister still has a dial telephone that is their extra one if the power goes out (all their others are cordless).

On a more somber note, I can remember daily Vietnam body counts on the evening news.

"Good night, David." "Good night, Chet. And good night, for NBC News."

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago, my grandmother said to me "when your mother was a kid, they would have a weekly children's hour on tv."

She was floored when I told her how many children's channels there are now, and they are 24 hours a day.

My sister is 12 years younger than me. When she was little, she once asked how you would "rewind a record." Also, she couldn't figure out how you would make ice without an ice maker.

Post Thanks / Like

"Anyone remember the original Weebles?"

Oh yeah...Weebles wobble but the don't fall down!"

We just bought the whole School House rock collection on DVD...ugh, some of them are really dumb..except (of course), I'm just a Bill and Conjunction, junction, what's your function?

I loved Candy cigarettes, for which I am sure I would jailed if I gave to the kids now.

I also remember, just playing...not at anything at all...we would just go outside and dig in the dirt or run around.

Lemonade stands in the summer...

How about Water beds...do they still make those?
    1978-offsite
    December 2003-POR
    June 2005-POFQ
    February 2006-Off site
    June 2006-POFQ
    March 2007-POFQ
    June 6-13, 2008- POFQ

Next: Christmas-New Year's Disneyland or World...not sure yet, but I will be at one!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It is bizarre to think that my kids will probably never really know what 'vinyl' or 'records' are.

Can you believe we used to carry around our 'tiny' Sony Walkmans with our pockets full of cassettes? I love my iPOD now!

And to go with the jelly shoes we had to have the jelly bracelets. Remember the early 80's fluorescent trend? YIKES!!!!

In January the Books a Million store in Florida was selling the Snoopy Snow Cone Machines!!! I think they were $15 - have not seen those in years!

Did anyone have the fisher-price McDonalds play centre? or the A-Frame house which was teal but still reminded me of the contemporary resort!

I was in Toys R Us the other day - the still have Lite Bright, only now they have the 'flat screen' version.

My in-laws still have their water bed, in fact they have TWO; One at their Ontario home and one in Florida! They have even taken their water bed to Romania & China when they worked on foreign projects! They called us before we went to Florida before Christmas because their heater went - I located a store in Winter Haven that still sells water beds and replacement parts - too funny!!!
    Lea-Ann
    The Creative Mind that Never Rests . . .

Dreaming of Disney.......
    Last Trip - Dec 14-21, 2012 AKL!!! Next Trip - TBA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

murphy1, I remember the Chrissy doll I think the other doll was called Velvet. I remember having the one with the red hair and Velvet with the blond hair.

Also, does anyone remember the birthday corsages with candy on them. I remember every year until I was about 10 my mom would get me one. Every year there was a different candy. It was made of ribbon and a different candy was attached with pipe cleaners.
    Life savers, tootsie rolls, bubble gum.
    1972-1990 Various WDW trips.
    10/94 - Honeymoon - Grand Floridian
    01/97 - Contemporary
    10/02 - Nicoles 1st trip - Animal Kingdom
    12/03, 12/04 , 11/05, 11/06, 11/07 - Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Mrs. Beasley doll, from the t.v. show Family Affair, does anyone remember her? I had her fixed up awhile back. I have her laying on the bed in my guest room in the basement.
    My DS won't look at her though, he said she looks like Chuckie!

I also had a Barbie airplane, and GI Joe actually had Hair!

I had Romper stompers!! They were plastic things with a long string that you used to walk like stilts!! I loved those things!!
    trennedy

Go Cubs!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trennedy View Post
    I had Romper stompers!! They were plastic things with a long string that you used to walk like stilts!! I loved those things!!

I loved them too!! My first boyfriend and I used to walk to the arcade and kill time playing Pacman, Ms Pacman, Donkey Kong.. and they were all a quarter.
    I also had the Barbie camper and town house. I used to stay out all day and early evening and play with my friends next door. We would build forts, play in the woods, skateboard down the hill.. Then when it was time to come in we would say, "just 10 more minutes, their mom said ok" And it would go back and forth like that

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: