Quantcast New Roller Coaster coming to Universal

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post New Roller Coaster coming to Universal

'Rockit' will roll 'em at Universal Orlando in 2009
    Scott Powers
    Sentinel Staff Writer
    March 19, 2008

Universal Studios is about to build a new signature ride: a high-tech roller coaster full of lights, music, loops, twists and turns -- and a quick trip over the heads of people walking through the nearby CityWalk entertainment district.

The Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit is planned to be big, bright and brash enough to become the new visual symbol for the theme park when the coaster opens in about a year. Universal Orlando officials said Tuesday that it also will feature enough digital technology to appeal directly to what they refer to as the "YouTube culture."

Universal Orlando officials said the coaster will rise 167 feet into the air and feature numerous loops and corkscrew turns. Rockit -- the first big, outdoor thrill ride for Universal Studios -- is set to open in spring 2009.

It will provide another link in Universal Orlando's recent chain of big new attractions. An overhauled version of an old ride, renamed Disaster!, opened in January. The Simpsons Ride, a 3-D fantasy-simulation ride replacing the old Back to the Future, is set to open in a few weeks. And several still-undisclosed attractions are to open together in late 2009 as the "Wizarding World of Harry Potter" in Universal Studios' sister park, Islands of Adventure.

The flurry of activity follows a dormant period of nearly three years during which Universal offered no big new rides.

Although it will be the tallest coaster in Central Florida and one of the fastest in the state, the Rockit will be nowhere near the tallest or fastest in the amusement-park business. But like the Incredible Hulk in Islands of Adventure and several other Florida coasters, it aims to use innovation and novelty to make up for any lack of record-setting height or speed.

"We like to go for the best," said Mark Woodbury, president of Universal Parks & Resorts' creative division -- though Universal would not comment on the project's cost.

Rockit will offer high-energy video displays in the waiting line; high-intensity, color-changing LED lighting and digital audio and video effects during the ride; and various engineering innovations.

'A whole new level'

And unlike any of the other big roller coasters in Central Florida, Rockit will loom over its park's entrance and beyond. Universal plans to squeeze its track between the Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast ride and the Sharp Aquos Theatre, which houses the Blue Man Group show. From there the track would run along the boundary between Universal Studios and Universal's sound stages, then rise over the fence to twist over the sidewalks of CityWalk, outside the theme park -- a brightly lit, scream-filled advertisement for the park.

"We like to look at this as taking the thrill ride to a whole new level, both physically and figuratively," Woodbury said. "It's iconographic in its position. It's going to do some things no ride has done before. And it combines entry into the digital age with the ability to customize and personalize the ride for each rider."

That particular digital-age feature will allow riders to select their own music and create a music video of the ride. Afterward, a rider could download the video and use it on personal Web pages or video-sharing sites.

But the ride -- which Universal officials had referred to for months by the code name "Project Rumble" -- still draws principally on the basic thrills of a roller coaster: speed, height, loops, corkscrews, twists, turns and drops. Universal officials said Rockit would have several signature moves and a record-breaking loop, though they would not elaborate. The artist's rendering that they released shows the track climbing a 167-foot-tall peak, then corkscrewing downward, twisting eight times.

'It's a natural for us'

The ride's Internet-based theme digresses a bit from Universal Studios' original theme, which was all about "riding" the movies. But Universal officials insisted that the coaster will justify the inclusion of the word "Hollywood" in its name -- a term also adopted earlier this year by Walt Disney World when it renamed its rival movie-studio theme park.

"We've always fancied ourselves as embedded into the Hollywood culture with Universal. It's part of our essence. It's a natural for us," Woodbury said. "The name is very specific to the attributes of the ride. It combines creating your own movie, to customize it; that's the 'rip' part. You can download it to your personal site. And you ride it, of course. You have the 'Rockit' part, which combines the thrill and the music."

Scott Powers can be reached at [email protected] or 407-420-5441.
    Copyright © 2008, Orlando Sentinel
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like they may have outdone Disney this time with their version of interactivity.
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

They seem to be outdoing Disney all the time lately, just not in attendance....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

It really is funny how people are quick to say Universal is out doing Disney again. While I agree that a few attractions they have are a step above of some the recent Disney attractions. They don't put the total package together. This sounds like a bells and whistles version of a standard coaster that can be found in any major amusement park through out the country. Sure it might offer choose your own song but the song you choose will not be synced to the ride. Making a music video of the ride to share online if just free advertising for the park(which by the way isn't a bad idea). I just see an out doing here. I mean the Simpsons while a cool idea is just a simulator using an existing ride technology and changing out the film and retheming the ride vehicles. The rides at Universal that out pace Disney to an extent are very limited and still have their short comings. I would say the only ride that really blows anything Disney currently has away is Spiderman.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

No matter what Universal does, I will still like Disney a lot better...

IMHO, Disney just does everything better than Universal...sometimes it's the little touches that count...
    șoș Matt | DisFan01 șoș

"Playful spooks have interrupted our tour..."

Post Thanks / Like

Let's see.. Universal has The Simpsons Ride opening, contruction going on for the Harry Potter themed land, which will have yet another awesome ride (as well as a re-themed coaster) that will blow away anything Disney has, and now this awesome sounding coaster that was announced today... What does Disney do to answer???? Toy Story Mania (no matter what they say, it is nothing more than Buzz Lightyear in 3D), a new parade, and oh yea... American Idol (which, despite being number one on TV, has lost its mojo).... Universal isn't out doing Disney???? They sure are....

How will Disney answer??? A Narnia walk through?? Oh wait... already in the works... Maybe we will get a new Hannah Montana Land.... to go along side Rock N Roller Coaster Featuring High School Musical... Now that's what I call progress... Forget the Star Tours 2.0 project (makes sense to scrap the idea because it sounded way too cool...) And we can forget anything new with Indiana Jones because that stale stunt show still knocks them dead...

yes, Jeff.. Universal IS out doing Disney....

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Let's see.. Universal has The Simpsons Ride opening, contruction going on for the Harry Potter themed land, which will have yet another awesome ride (as well as a re-themed coaster) that will blow away anything Disney has, and now this awesome sounding coaster that was announced today... What does Disney do to answer???? Toy Story Mania (no matter what they say, it is nothing more than Buzz Lightyear in 3D), a new parade, and oh yea... American Idol (which, despite being number one on TV, has lost its mojo).... Universal isn't out doing Disney???? They sure are....

How will Disney answer??? A Narnia walk through?? Oh wait... already in the works... Maybe we will get a new Hannah Montana Land.... to go along side Rock N Roller Coaster Featuring High School Musical... Now that's what I call progress... Forget the Star Tours 2.0 project (makes sense to scrap the idea because it sounded way too cool...) And we can forget anything new with Indiana Jones because that stale stunt show still knocks them dead...

yes, Jeff.. Universal IS out doing Disney....
    True...true...

But to me, Universal will NEVER compare to Disney...no matter what they build...
    șoș Matt | DisFan01 șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisFan01 View Post
    True...true...

But to me, Universal will NEVER compare to Disney...no matter what they build...
    You may not think they compare, and they may never reach Disney in attendance figures... But let's face it, they are light years ahead of Disney in ideas and creativity now... Believe me, I am not a Universal fan, but, credit has to go where due... They are out doing Disney at everything Disney used to be good at...

Post Thanks / Like

You may not think they compare, and they may never reach Disney in attendance figures... But let's face it, they are light years ahead of Disney in ideas and creativity now... Believe me, I am not a Universal fan, but, credit has to go where due... They are out doing Disney at everything Disney used to be good at...
    Okay...you may be right...okay...you are right...BUT...is it me or does Universal do everything sloppy? Maybe I'm just TOO used to Disney being so good, to where everything else seems bad...

That's what it seems to me...Disney may not be keeping up with Universal, but Disney will always do stuff the right way...more professionally. [except Stitch's Great Escape]

But yes, I'm afraid you are right...

***AND...we don't know what Disney Imagineers are doing next...they could be ahead of Universal...testing new technologies...I don't know. ***
    șoș Matt | DisFan01 șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Okay...you may be right...okay...you are right...BUT...is it me or does Universal do everything sloppy? Maybe I'm just TOO used to Disney being so good, to where everything else seems bad...

That's what it seems to me...Disney may not be keeping up with Universal, but Disney will always do stuff the right way...more professionally. [except Stitch's Great Escape]

But yes, I'm afraid you are right...

***AND...we don't know what Disney Imagineers are doing next...they could be ahead of Universal...testing new technologies...I don't know. ***
    I will give you this part... Disney has been very tight lipped lately... Where as, in the past, we used to know what was coming, now, we have no idea until close to announcement... And even with that, the details are sketchy at best... I will always give Disney the benefit of the doubt, not so much with Universal.. But, comparing what we know is coming from Disney and Universal, I can only conclude Disney has lost it... Hopefully they do have something big planned to counter Harry Potter and this new coaster... But, with their track record lately, a Hannah Montana land is what we will probably wind up with.... Nothing says success better than pathetic synergy....

And Universal is very wll themed... And very well done... I wouldn't say they are sloppy, they are just not as magical as Disney...

Post Thanks / Like

I will give you this part... Disney has been very tight lipped lately... Where as, in the past, we used to know what was coming, now, we have no idea until close to announcement... And even with that, the details are sketchy at best... I will always give Disney the benefit of the doubt, not so much with Universal.. But, comparing what we know is coming from Disney and Universal, I can only conclude Disney has lost it... Hopefully they do have something big planned to counter Harry Potter and this new coaster... But, with their track record lately, a Hannah Montana land is what we will probably wind up with.... Nothing says success better than pathetic synergy....

And Universal is very wll themed... And very well done... I wouldn't say they are sloppy, they are just not as magical as Disney...
    Yeah, for all we know, Disney could have an unbelievably great idea up their sleeve...some new amazing technology...

And doesn't it seem that this new coaster is kind of like Rock 'n' Rollercoaster? Are they using Disney's ideas, and making them better? Who knows.

Okay...I'll compromise with "not as magical as Disney".

As for a Hannah Montana land...just...start praying that never happens...
    șoș Matt | DisFan01 șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, for all we know, Disney could have an unbelievably great idea up their sleeve...some new amazing technology...

And doesn't it seem that this new coaster is kind of like Rock 'n' Rollercoaster? Are they using Disney's ideas, and making them better? Who knows.

Okay...I'll compromise with "not as magical as Disney".

As for a Hannah Montana land...just...start praying that never happens...
    I told you.. Hannah Montana Land right next to Rock N Roller Coaster Featuring High School Musical.... Across the way, The Suite Life of Zack and Cody Tower Elevator... And what's after that??? A Star Tours refurb??? Yep... RAVEN'S COLLEGE ROAD TRIP!!!!!!

Edit: Disney executives just read this post and called me... They said I had wonderful ideas and hired me.... The executives said this will show Universal... The majority of the public want Hannah Montana shoved down their throat, not Harry Potter or one heck of a thrilling roller coaster... Nope... The public wants to hear some talentless teenager screeching into a microphone... Guaranteed to draw in the masses... hence American Idol coming to Disney...

**Praying Disney comes up with something amazing and not some redo of another attraction... (TSM)....

Post Thanks / Like

I told you.. Hannah Montana Land right next to Rock N Roller Coaster Featuring High School Musical.... Across the way, The Suite Life of Zack and Cody Tower Elevator... And what's after that??? A Star Tours refurb??? Yep... RAVEN'S COLLEGE ROAD TRIP!!!!!!
    Yes, that would be a NIGHTMARE.....

Edit: Disney executives just read this post and called me... They said I had wonderful ideas and hired me.... The executives said this will show Universal... The majority of the public want Hannah Montana shoved down their throat, not Harry Potter or one heck of a thrilling roller coaster... Nope... The public wants to hear some talentless teenager screeching into a microphone... Guaranteed to draw in the masses... hence American Idol coming to Disney as well...
    Oh yes...I'm sure they hired you with all those fantastic ideas!

And of course Hannah Montana and American Idol will be the biggest hit of them all! (Just get thicker windows) Or maybe Raven's College Road Trip will be the most popular...who knows? So many good ones to choose from!
    șoș Matt | DisFan01 șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Without turning this into a great Universal vs WDW debate.

Universal is great at hyping their new attractions and then not executing them anywhere near the hype they created with very few exception. Their attractions generally lack a good storyline and often have poor to little theming and the theming they do receive doesn't always carry throughout the attraction. If you look back at the press material for Islands of Adventure the park looked and sounded amazing and would put Disney to shame. In reality the park was good but nothing spectacular and really only contained 3 or 4 attractions that had reridability. Yes they have thrill coasters but they are not very well themed and the story gets lost in favor the thrill factor. Overall the amazing theming in the concept fell short of expectations. They let the park sit there for about 8 years without adding anything new to it.

The coaster described seems to be very similar in nature to coasters built annually at every local amusement/theme park around the country. They are adding a choose your own music track and a video option to a standard coaster what is so special about that compared to the experience and theming of Expedition Everest?

As for Harry Potter land I can tell you as a teacher who teaches 500 students that the popularity of the Harry Potter is starting to decline amongst kids. I use to see a few kids in every class reading one of the books or asking to go on the website and recently nothing. No new books are coming to keep it alive. And again it looks like a great idea on paper and in the press releases but can they execute it properly? So far their track record on execution is very poor especially in the Orlando parks.
    Universal quite simply doesn't pay as much attention to detail as Disney and that's where they fail in the execution.

Let's look at the recent attraction additions over the last few years

Universal
    The Revenge of the Mummy 2003
    The Suessville tram thing
    The Changing of Earthquake to Disaster
    Universal 360 nighttime show(which bombed big time)

WDW
    Soarin
    Expedition Everest
    Turtle Talk
    The Seas with Nemo and Friends
    Lights Motors Action
    Finding Nemo the Musical
    Redo of the Haunted Mansion

Universal in Orlando is in a survival mode while WDW is experiencing record crowds. If they were out doing Disney in anyway they would draw more guests for at least a one day visit like they did in the early 90's. I'm sure this will be a cool coaster and maybe Harry Potter land will be great but all I am saying is Disney doesn't need to answer Universal what you are seeing is Universal trying to answer Disney. Remember and this is true even with Disney these announcements are meant to attract attention and potential customers they are written by professional PR firms to get you excited. I am not a fan of the American Idol idea and have an I'll wait see attitude towards TSM but whose to say that both of these won't blow this new coaster and the Simpsons ride away in the eyes of the general public. It's not always the highest tech or flashiest attraction that guests enjoy most and make them keep returning.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

As for the ride itself, a few sources to a few sites have said that the article was wrong in the fact that there are not going to be any inversions at all. More so lots of banking and everything else. And then the loop is going to twist going up so that even though it might look like you are going upside down on the ground, you are actually going to be right side up.

My worry with this ride is that the wait times are going to be huge for the simple fact that people aren't going to know how to pick their song and everything else and slow everything down to a crawl.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWfanatic742 View Post
    My worry with this ride is that the wait times are going to be huge for the simple fact that people aren't going to know how to pick their song and everything else and slow everything down to a crawl.
    Never thought of that. Very possible.
    șoș Matt | DisFan01 șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Don't you all know the new Disney ride will be Pixar based???? The Disney folks can't seem to have enough of the Pixar stuff in the parks!
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Why are we even comparing this new coaster to anything Disney is opening up? The coaster does not fit Disney's theme. Would Disney actually open a steel coaster outdoors, that would loop around the parimeter of the park, or would they build a new, indoor coaster, with a theme to it? This coaster is what it is, a Universal typical attraction. It fits them, not Disney. We cannot even compare the two. By the way, Disney's answer will be known shortly (Beastly Kingdom, but in a new form featuring Disney's animal characters, not the original concept).
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to ride it!
    I'm not sure how people can put down rides and attractions and say they are not anything great when they are not even opened yet????
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am realy excited about everything that Universal has been doing lately. Who knows in the end I may be disappointed and they may not execute everything well, however I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Universal is generating a lot of buzz and is trying to do something to improve thier parks. I think that can only be a positive. To top it off Universal has a 7 day ticket for only $79 online.

Don't get me wrong...nothing can compare to WDW in my opinion, but with all of the things Universal is putting out there right now they are giving me more and more reasons to visit there next time we are in Orlando.
    COLOR=Teal]2x a year every year as a child...
    with my children[/COLOR]
    AS Movies-Nov 2004
    Pop Century-May 2005
    POFQ(through MJ)-Oct 4-9 2005(free food!!)
    [COLOR=Purple]4/30-5/8 2006 Pop Century with Eric
    William's Birthday!- Sept 12-Sept 17 2007- AS Sports
    Spring Break 2008 -Off Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: