Quantcast Questions for WDW CM's. Is working there all that it is believed to be? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    Hope ya don't mind me asking.

I am a tile installer, ceramic and other stone, does Disney have full time installers around the WDW resort? Do they have there own workers or hire outside? I would guess they would have a ton of tile around to be repaired and new places being built or remodeled needing tile.
    Okay, I'm not an expert on this one either. So some of you other CMs help me out here. From what I have seen, new construction is done by contractors, and the completed job is turned over to Disney. After that, maintenance is performed by Disney CMs who handle routine problems with plumbing, electrical, carpentry, ride maintenance, etc. Presumably this would also include repairs to drywall, tile, stone and ceramic work. These maintenance people are assigned to shops backstage at the individual parks, and in some cases, to shops that cover all of WDW. We often see them coming into our area with a work order in one hand and a toolbox in the other.

Hiring for maintenance positions is (I believe) also done through Central Casting across from Downtown Disney. I know nothing about their pay scale or working conditions.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is really facinating to me, I'm so glad this thread is here. DH is having some major job issues and I asked him today if they (meaning the bank) come and put padlocks on the doors at work if we can finally move to FL. He said this might be the chance we need to get out of here!! WOO HOO

I am interested in hearing from Jessica about merchandising. I think I would LOVE this part but she said there are long hours after park closing for cleaning and restocking. I'd love her to give us more info.

WDWDriver, thanks for all of your insight, you have really made this thread a pleasure to read.

Take care, and I'll keep reading!!
    Sarah

Next Trips:
    09/08 - CBR
    12/08 - BC

The Kids: Nala, Scooter, Pinto, Minnie, Daisy, Dory, and George

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Me? You want to hear from me?

I feel so loved!!

Well, Merchantainment is, in my opinion, one of the better jobs to have because you are in a very heavy-Guest contact field. That's not to say that the other jobs are not equally as important, I just had a lot more fun working Merchandise than I did in F&B. I mean come on, I can play with toys and costumes and plush all day....and get paid for it!!

You are front-line, so you need to be a big people person and have a great personality, high levels of patience, and knowledge about the products we offer. I also find that it helps to visit the other locations or stores to see who has what and where, but that's just me.

The starting pay for Merchandise is $7.30. Painful, I know. But we get premiums (as do many of the positions, which a lot of people neglect to mention) that can bring you to around $8 or so, especially on night shifts.

Hours are long, usually upwards of 8 hours or more. You can preference for a stocking position, which is called Putaway and they come in around 3-4am and start unloading the pallets and boxes. You can preference Cashier, which is obvious enough. Shifts for Cashiers typically range from 5am until....5am...so basically, you can be there any time of the day but you can preference certain time ranges when you are full-time during the schedule bids.

Which is a union thing. Personally, I have a strong dislike for the union. Especially when it comes to schedules and promotions. But schedule bids are based on seniority and they basically involve you trying to pick what times and days you prefer working. It's done twice a year.

Before the park opens, Merchandise Cast will stock the reqisters, cashwraps, refill the stores maps, check over the closing Cast's work to make sure all shelves are stocked, sized and organized. Then from 8:50-9:10, they wave to incoming Guests on Main Street with Mickey gloves.

The store's usually open to Guests about 30 or so minutes before the park does (for families needing those costumes for breakfast!) and closes an hour after the latest park closing (EMH). We then usually stay about 2-3 horus after the doors close to clean the store, organize the shelves, restock merchandise, organize plush, empty all the cashwraps trash, sometimes we dust. The only exception to the one hour rule is hard-ticket nights, when we stop admitting Guests without wristbands at 7:30pm but we still remain open to hard-ticket Guests.

If you wanted Merchandise, I would recommend starting out in either a smaller location like a resort or an area such as Adventureland before transfering to a larger location, unless you really wanted a challenge. A store like mine, the Emporium (or MouseGears and WoD) is almost always non-stop business at night. We typically average around $40,000 an hour during mild seasons, upwards of $60-80K during peak seasons. Spring Break season and Christmas/New Year's are our highest sales weeks.

I hope this helps! If you want to know any more just ask here or PM me! I love answering.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Jessica thanks for the info about merchandising. Everyone's information is very helpful. We are trying to figure out when the best time is to turn in my application. I don't know how receptive they will be to me saying I can't start for a couple of weeks. I would think that would be normal to say since most people probably need to give notice to thier other job. I just need time to move. It shouldn't take too long for us to get it together.
    Also, is there anyone who works front desk? I'm curious about that job. I guess the worst job would be one outside in the summer. I'm guessing I should stay away from outside food if at all possible!
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    10/05 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    03/05 - POP
    04/04 - ASM/Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, merchandise. Good times. I loved my location (didn't like the costume, but that's another story). The best part was getting to move around, as there were 9 shops/carts in the area. I also loved getting to see Wishes every night. My only regret is not learning to be a sewer for hats.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    Me? You want to hear from me?

I feel so loved!!

The starting pay for Merchandise is $7.30. Painful, I know. But we get premiums (as do many of the positions, which a lot of people neglect to mention) that can bring you to around $8 or so, especially on night shifts.
    Thanks Jessica, you are loved!!

Merchandising is SO for me. I'm a people person, and I LOVE Disney merchandise. I always tell my DH I couldn't sell anything I don't love, well this I LOVE!! Not sure I would ever bring home a paycheck though, would really have to behave myself!

As far as you said the premium, what exactly does that mean? Can you elaborate? Do you know what other positions receive premiums? I don't really care about hours, we don't have kids, don't plan to so I can be available anytime.

Can you talk more about the perks too? Insurance, discounts, tickets, etc.

Thanks guys, and sorry Harley guy, hope I didn't hijack your thread, it's just so very interesting!

Take care!!
    Sarah

Next Trips:
    09/08 - CBR
    12/08 - BC

The Kids: Nala, Scooter, Pinto, Minnie, Daisy, Dory, and George

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MMouse6937 View Post
    Thanks guys, and sorry Harley guy, hope I didn't hijack your thread, it's just so very interesting!

Take care!!
    No problem! Any and all information will be very helpful to me. Since my main reason for wanting to move to FL is to work at Disney I'm hoping I really do have a chance at something.
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

I know when I went in and filled out my application I did my interview that day and was signed up for traditions before I left. Interviews are done one on one (unless you go in with a spouse then they frequently interview you both at the same time). I did my interview picked my work location, filled out the paperwork in about 3 hours. Went to traditions two days later and started work in my location immediately. Usually Disney assumes if you're filling out an application you're ready to start immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harley-Davidson_Guy View Post
    Thanks. I think I can live with the bad. Our schedule has never made the weekends all that big of a deal. A week day is no different to us than a Sat. or Sun.
    I read on another search that the interviews in Disneyland are done in a group. Is that the same as in FL?
    I'm really curious about the jobs in the restaurants. Is there anyone out there that can give me some info? Is it useless to tell them that I would prefer a job as a server? Is that a job that is only hired within the company? Seems like they can make a lot of money in tips. Am I wrong?
    We spoke to the person that checked us in at LeCellier about this while we were there in February.
    According to him, if you request food service you have to work your way up the line.
    You start with checking in guests, then move to a food runner or bus tables (I do not remember which came first) then when a spot opens you move to a server.
    Those are positions that do not open up much, mainly because of the pay. An 18% tip on every table sure makes that job more appealing.
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Thanks again. We have decided our moved date is the last week of April. We have decided to move everything and stay in a Marriott Residence Inn (due to the dogs) until we find a rental. It seems like there are some good rentals around Disney. I just want to wait on deciding until I see each area. I want to be somewhere safe. We are used to being in a small town and being in a safe area is a big thing. I want to be close by to the parks just in case I need to be home quickly for some reason.
    Any more specifics about how I should dress? (I'm a 36 yr old female). I don't want to over dress but I don't want to undersdress either. I live in jeans but can clean up when I have to.
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

When I went to put in my application I went in the morning, right when they opened. I’m glad I did because I was taken right in to fill out an application, but when I walked out a few hours later there was a long line. I suggest getting there early unless you want to wait in line. Plan on being there a few hours. They will give you a folder to fill out an application and then take you into another room to watch a video with a group of people. Then after you finish your application you will wait for an interviewer to call your name. You will go in the back and have a one on one interview with that person. At least that was how it worked when I went.

As far as dress, I saw everything while I was there. I would suggest business casual.

I do know that there are a lot of apartment complexes that offer discounts to Disney employees. Disney has a weekly newsletter for their employees and it advertises all the non-Disney perks in it. I’ve seen a lot of apartment complexes, housing, cell phone plans, etc. It might be worth it to find one of these magazines (I forget what it’s called…I’m sure the CM’s know what I’m talking about…) so you can utilize every available discount while your setting up your new life.
    šOš šOš šOš šOš šOš šOš šOš šOš šOš šOš
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

If you're planning on holding off and looking around for a place to live until after going in for a job at disney be sure to mention you're a CM when you check places out...a lot of housing in the area will wave application fees and reduce deposits if you show them your company id.

Business casual is the way to go for interviews, interviewers are looking for that happy, friendly, well put together "Disney look".

Don't forget to smile

I know for a fact that F&B has a premium both FOH and BOH, as does Entertainment (a very nice one too....) I would assume that the same would hold true for housekeeping. Anything that involves hazard pay (dangerous risks) is also good.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    I know for a fact that F&B has a premium both FOH and BOH, as does Entertainment (a very nice one too....) I would assume that the same would hold true for housekeeping. Anything that involves hazard pay (dangerous risks) is also good.
    I'm confused.. What is FOH and BOH? What do you mean by premium?

Also, can someone define "Disney Look"? No jeans? Not sloppy? Clean cut? I know I can meet that look I just need to know what they are looking for. I haven't interviewed since I was a teenager. I've worked for my DH for about 11 years. I didn't need to interview! I am a little worried about how to look and act. I dont' want to look over dressed. I guess business casual is slacks and a nice shirt right? I want to be comfortable in order to feel comfortable though. Sorry to keep asking the same thing.

Thanks for the info about the housing. I see a lot listed in MSL and the Orlando Sentenial. There looks to be a lot of rentals in that area. Good news because I don't think we want to buy again real soon. We got out of ours in in the nick of time before the market really went south.
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

"Premimum" is extra money on top of the pay rate.

Also, Disney Look is no jeans, looking professional, just looking nice.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak to the "Disney look," but in general for business casual interviews you can't go wrong with wearing black slacks; "conservative" black shoes; a nice, long-sleeved button-down shirt/blouse or sweater set/twinset in a solid color; limited jewelry; light make-up; no perfume.

Very best wishes on your upcoming move and interview!!!
    šOš April šOš

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Quote Originally Posted by Harley-Davidson_Guy View Post
    I'm confused.. What is FOH and BOH? What do you mean by premium?

Also, can someone define "Disney Look"? No jeans? Not sloppy? Clean cut? I know I can meet that look I just need to know what they are looking for. I haven't interviewed since I was a teenager. I've worked for my DH for about 11 years. I didn't need to interview! I am a little worried about how to look and act. I dont' want to look over dressed. I guess business casual is slacks and a nice shirt right? I want to be comfortable in order to feel comfortable though. Sorry to keep asking the same thing.

Thanks for the info about the housing. I see a lot listed in MSL and the Orlando Sentenial. There looks to be a lot of rentals in that area. Good news because I don't think we want to buy again real soon. We got out of ours in in the nick of time before the market really went south.
    Sorry, it's force of habit to use industry terms. A premium is basically additional money...like for Merchandise, our base pay is $7.30 plus a 75 cent premium during peak hours (only if you start after 2:00 pm) or during holiday times. It's just an additional incentive to work the night shifts. For Entertainment, I believe it's $1.00 and more for face characters (Joanna can help more on that). Tinkerbell gets a nice little bit for her 30 second flight in addition for getting paid for 4 hours of work in which she's really only there for about 2 hours because her job involves hazard pay.

99.99% of restaurants (or any hospitality industry business) should use FOH for Front Of House, meaning front-line, guest interaction roles. BOH refers to Back Of House, meaning things that have little to no guest interactions such as technicians, engineering, cooks, costumeing, etc.

Almost every other place in Orlando will offer a discount for Disney CM's, including a good portion of restaurants and apartments, phone companies. The book is called Disney Difference, and it is updated every 6 months.

"Disney Look" also refers to hair, nails, make-up, piercings, mustaches/beards, and tattoos. If you have them, keep them covered or groomed. Hair cannot be certain colors, nails have to be neutral or natural colors. Don't look like Mimi from Drew Carey with the make-up, soft natural tones. I would recommend business casual for the clothes, slacks or skirts with a nice polo or button shirts and flats or low heels. For men, ties are nice but necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie97 View Post
    I can't speak to the "Disney look," but in general for business casual interviews you can't go wrong with wearing black slacks; "conservative" black shoes; a nice, long-sleeved button-down shirt/blouse or sweater set/twinset in a solid color; limited jewelry; light make-up; no perfume.

Very best wishes on your upcoming move and interview!!!
    Thanks for the tips. I would have never thought about the "no perfume". That makes perfect sense. Thanks
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks Jessica for the clarification. I'm feeling more ready now. I'm just not sure which direction I should choose. I know it will depend on the jobs available but if my end goal is to someday work as a server I guess I should try for something in the F&B and work my way up over the years. I wouldn't think Disney would want to train me to do merchandise or Front desk and have me switch over to F&B.
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    03/05 - POP
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

I know someone that works in the Emporium on Main Street and she is on a waiting list to work at the Crystal Palace. Apparently most (if not all) server positions have waiting lists because of the tips. So I would suggest going into whatever you feel comfy doing and then putting your name on a waiting list for whatever restaurant you would want to work at. Eventually your turn should come around.

I PM’d you a helpful website that is a community for Disney Cast Members.

If it was me, I would do Mousekeeping. They get tips too. But it sounds like you want more guest interaction.

Have you checked out the disneycareers website? It gives you directions to the casting building, available positions open, a phone number to call with questions. It’s very helpful.
    šOš šOš šOš šOš šOš šOš šOš šOš šOš šOš
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: