Quantcast Bed Bugs at Poly???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Bed Bugs at Poly???

I'm just curious, I stayed at the Poly, Rarotonga bldg., got bites upon waking and was wondering if anyone else out there has experienced the same problem??

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed in Rarotonga twice so far, and have never experienced a problem. Always had super clean, beautiful rooms!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Never had any problems at WDW period and especially not at the Poly. Not that it couldn't happen, but given their record I would say it was most likely sand fleas from the beach or those pesky mini mosquito "no see um" things! We only had one run in with them and that was on the balcony at the AKL a few years ago.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that certainly wouldn't have been the first time I was bit by sand fleas... thanks for the option though, the thought of bed bugs really freaks me out!!! It's so dark in those rooms you never know what's lurking under things.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Since posting this, my husband and I have treated our bedroom for bedbugs for the last 5 weeks, and they are still not gone! I returned home from Disney in Nov. with them in tow! Apparently we're not the only ones coming home from a Disney World with them. Our exterminator told us we are the 5th case that they've heard of.
    So, just a little tip before traveling, ANYWHERE...buy the spray for your luggage that repels bed bugs from a reputable exterminator...this is the worst thing I have gone thru, the few dollars you'll spend for this will save you much more in the end including your sanity!
    Nicole

Windsor Hills Resort 13'
    Poly Thanksgiving 09'
    Polynesian 08'
    Pop Century 07'
    Off Site 04'
    Off Site 97'
    Off Site 89'
    Off Site 86'
    Off Site 83'
    Polynesian 79'

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Terrible!!!!

I feel terrible for you.We were there the same time you were and didn't have a problem, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. We stayed at the TOKELAU building. Don't people bring them in. ???
    ¸,ø¤º°`¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,Karen°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¸,ø¤º °`°º¤ø,¸¸,DVC MEMBER
    ¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø"If you believe in Magic, you belong..."¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`° º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø

Post Thanks / Like

They're saying because of so many international travelers they are bringing them in! And how many international travelers are at Disney...TONS! Also, we were told that not only could we get them from the room but just from our luggage being next to someone elses luggage on the plane. The bugs will just crawl into someone elses bag. Thats why the spray is so important, it should just repel them.

It's horrible...and I love going to Disney but at this point...I'm done with traveling!
    Nicole

Windsor Hills Resort 13'
    Poly Thanksgiving 09'
    Polynesian 08'
    Pop Century 07'
    Off Site 04'
    Off Site 97'
    Off Site 89'
    Off Site 86'
    Off Site 83'
    Polynesian 79'

Post Thanks / Like

This repellant, do you just spray it on the outside of your luggae and what is the name of it?

Thank you.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

Can this be bought at Wal mart or any other place easily? I do not want this problem to happen so to stop it before it starts sound good to me.

Post Thanks / Like

....recently listened to a news story on the sale of used mattresses & bed-bugs (NYC radio..I think Newsradio 880?)....and the "after-story" had some talk about bed-bug control. There were a few products mentioned, and this website was one that was cited in the report to get products:

<snip>

....hope this helps?
    Last edited by TammiMcMan; 04-21-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Removed URL per INTERCOT's tos
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy some spray at Ace Harware for them.
    My husbands family owns an Ace Harware and they have some new spray he showed me that you take and spary on the beds and around and it will kill them. It says to take it with when you travel and it will take care of them.
    I don't remember them name of it but I would think you could get it at any Ace Hardware store.
    1999 off site- July
    2001 All Star Movies- Sept
    2004 CBR-Oct
    2005 Poly won free from Disney-Jan
    2007 POP-Oct
    2010 POP-Oct

2013POP - Oct First trip /all 3 kids- DD's 1st
    2014 All Star Movies-Nov / Mother son 2 day visit, after college tours
    2016 POP-Sep

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could say it's as easy as going to your local hardware store and picking it up but I would definetly recommend buying it from a local extermination company. I believe it's less than $10. I am not sure of the name of the product for the luggage but the product I bought to spray in the room itself was called SteriFab and it sold for $8.50.

For the luggage, I would spray in and out so it repels them and if any get inside...they will die.

Also, do not come home from your trip and put your luggage on your bed to unpack, bring your bags directly to your laundry room and stick clothes in sealed trashbags until you can wash them.

We will be doing our 4th application to our bedroom this weekend and we have just ordered the encasements for our mattresses so that if the bugs are in the mattress and box spring they can't get out or in!!

If I had only known this was on the rise I would have taken the minor steps to ensure this wouldn't happen. I did see the report on bed bugs on mattresses last night on nbc...scary!
    Nicole

Windsor Hills Resort 13'
    Poly Thanksgiving 09'
    Polynesian 08'
    Pop Century 07'
    Off Site 04'
    Off Site 97'
    Off Site 89'
    Off Site 86'
    Off Site 83'
    Polynesian 79'

Post Thanks / Like

P.S. Last night I was on tripadvisor.com and someone had commented on their stay in Jan. 08' at the Carribean Beach Resort and guess what...they got bed bugs!
    Nicole

Windsor Hills Resort 13'
    Poly Thanksgiving 09'
    Polynesian 08'
    Pop Century 07'
    Off Site 04'
    Off Site 97'
    Off Site 89'
    Off Site 86'
    Off Site 83'
    Polynesian 79'

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes! Did you contact Disney at all about the problem? I am going to buy the spray! I will look into if for sure! Scary!
    Poly 2004-2009 LVC
    WL Villas May 2007
    DC Wonder 2010/Poly GVC
    DC Dream 2011/Poly LVC
    Poly LVC 2012
    Contemporary Dec. 2012
    July 2013 Poly GVC
    Poly GVC 2014
    Poly Club April 2015
    AKL Royal Asante Suite 2015
    October Poly Club 2015
    Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf Club April 2016
    Poly Club Dec 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Default me too...

In January I left with so many bites (I was at Vero) that everyone told me it was bed bugs...out of 4 of us, however, I was the only one bit -- I still have scars from the injuries. I have also been told it was red ants or sand fleas but again, we were all together - and I was the only victim...

I'll take the bed bug things with us from now on wherever we go! My husband spends 4 nights a week in hotels and I guess we've just been lucky so far.
    Mother of 2
    DVC Member since 09/07
    ASM 09/07
    VB 01/08
    AKV Concierge 09/08
    AKV Studio Savannah View 12/08
    DCL - Wonder 10/09
    AKV Jambo House, Concierge 01/10

Future Trips:
    BWV 09/10
    Hawaii DVC in 2011! Woo Hoo!

Post Thanks / Like

OMG! This totally freaks me out. Doesn't Disney spray for this themselves?? Did you contact Disney to let them know of your experience and trouble? I am not sure how to prove it came from them but it's worth a shot. I am definately going to look into that spary for our luggage. My only concern is spraying it inside where our clothes are. Any type of bug spray cannot be good for skin contact. I am scratching just sitting here. I feel so bad for your problems that has to be totally frustrating. What a nightmare.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

That's my question is it okay to spray in our suitcase and on the bed than put your clothes in their and sleep on the bed?
    Poly 2004-2009 LVC
    WL Villas May 2007
    DC Wonder 2010/Poly GVC
    DC Dream 2011/Poly LVC
    Poly LVC 2012
    Contemporary Dec. 2012
    July 2013 Poly GVC
    Poly GVC 2014
    Poly Club April 2015
    AKL Royal Asante Suite 2015
    October Poly Club 2015
    Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf Club April 2016
    Poly Club Dec 2016

Post Thanks / Like

The one time I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge there were ants in the room and in the bed. I did get bit and I left a note for mousekeeping when I left. I haven't been able to get a ressie there since so I don't know if it was an isolated incident.
    BRENDA

Been to the land of happiness more times than I can count and still going.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for all of the concerns...honestly, I never contacted Poly about it because I just didn't feel like being brushed off. They may spray for this, but if you knew how bad you have to rip apart your whole room, you'll quickly realize that they would need to shut down their hotel to do this. They lay 5 eggs a day so they mutiply very quickly.

We've had to wash all of our clothes and keep them in plastic bins in another part of the house, we have had to take the bed frame apart to spray it, spray the mattresses, picture frames, baseboards, around the windows, inside, around and under all of our furniture, inside clock radio, remote control and outlets.

As for spraying the stuff in your luggage and it getting on your clothes and irritating your skin...I've been sleeping on the stuff for the past 5 weeks, I think it's mild enough and that's probably why it takes so long to kill them off. I usually pack my kids clothes in ziplock bags so I think that's why they were safe. Next time (if there is one) I will bring trash bags for our stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that this is just isolated to Disney I believe it is in many hotels in all 50 states, that's why I want to get this message out. IT IS BRUTAL TO GO THRU. And an embaressment. We don't want any of our friends to know!

Oh by the way, no one else in my family is getting bit. I am the host apparently and that's all they need, they can actuallly live for months on end without a blood meal, so I need to sleep in my bed so that they do not travel to another room to get blood. My husband has been in boxer shorts and not one bite. I am dressed heal to head and I wake up with linear bites! Also do not use bombs that will only send them to another room in the house.

I would avoid putting the luggage on the bed if at all possible, it's hard but if you can that would be the best option. We usually empty them out and put all our stuff in drawers and the closets but I don't know when they got in. One piece of clothing on the bed and that could've done it.
    Nicole

Windsor Hills Resort 13'
    Poly Thanksgiving 09'
    Polynesian 08'
    Pop Century 07'
    Off Site 04'
    Off Site 97'
    Off Site 89'
    Off Site 86'
    Off Site 83'
    Polynesian 79'

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested to know what Disney has to say about this and if they are doing anything about it.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: