Quantcast The 10th Anniversary trip that isn't going to happen tomorrow...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy The 10th Anniversary trip that isn't going to happen tomorrow...

I said I wouldn't do this, but I can't help but be really disappointed that we aren't leaving for Orlando tomorrow like I had imagined when I started saving for this trip three years ago.

Three years ago, I started putting aside $20 a week (it's harder than it sounds) so that we'd have about $3000 to plan a WDW vacation for our 10th Anniversary, which is next Friday. The idea was that we would be returning after 10 years to the magical place where we celebrated our honeymoon, as well as enjoy a wonderful family vacation. It would have been my little one's first visit, and my older daughter's second. While we would have loved to stay at the Wilderness Lodge, we were happy enough to try a resort that, while technically a downgrade, seemed to fit our needs for romance and family, Port Orleans Riverside.

Well, things sort of unravelled about a year ago. I stopped putting the $20 a week away after getting to about $2000 (which is still a pretty good start) but finances were't the central issue. It was an illness, a brave year long battle with two different cancers for my mother-in-law that held us back from making any sorts of plans. Unfortunately for all of us, she lost her battle recently, and is now at peace. While the illness curbed our plans, I don't want to appear to place blame on the situation. My MIL spent most of her last hours worrying about her children more than herself, and if she had known, would have probably insisted we go ahead with our plans.

Now I imagine there are people who would have gone ahead with their vacation plans amidst this tragedy, especially since we strive to try to keep things "normal" for the kids during the whole ordeal, but I can genuinely say that I am glad that we didn't try to force it. Though I feel like I need a vacation right about now, and I'm actually having that "Disney withdrawal" feeling pretty hard, I think it is too soon for me, and especially my wife, to pull this one off. I know we made the right decision.

The new plan, is to postpone the trip for exactly one year, during which we will hopefully be able to save some money, and do a little healing. The best part is that we'll probably start planning later this year, so I'll get to enjoy the whole planning thing for a lot longer, and it will keep me busy until the trip finally happens. Also, both of my kids will be great ages, 8 and 4 going on 5, and will likely be tall enough for any ride they wish to go on (the older one is already there) and maybe they will be able to retain more memories because they are older.

So all things Disney aren't so bad after all. We've also had two nice vacations to New Hampshire and Maine the past two summers to keep us occupied. We WILL take these two kids to WDW asap, and I know it will be here before we know it!

Still, I know that tomorrow I'll be thinking about how we'd probably be taking a horse and buggy ride down the Sassagoula river at Port Orleans, and I won't be able to help but sigh...
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Darth Macho, I feel for you. It's so hard to want to be there and not be able to go.

I'm sorry for your loss. But you do have the knowledge that you made the right decision, no regrets, and best wishes for next year's trip. Happy anniversary!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry for your loss. You gave your MIL all the love and support she needed during her illness and taking time to grieve should be a priority.

On a happier note, Happy 10th Anniversary! I know that this year will fly by and you will soon be visiting "the happiest place on earth".

Sending pixie dust your way.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Paula[/

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you are making the best decision for you and your family. I agree this year will fly by and you will also have more time to tuck away a little more to make it extra special.
    It sounds like the grieving is too fresh for you and your family and a year will help and the trip will have the makings of a great trip because anticipation is half the fun.
    I experienced a terrible tragedy in 1990 and it took me 15 years to ear mark a trip and celebrate the closure. Your family is starting a new phase of life one without a special loved one and next year as you celebrate your 10 +1 anniversary I hope you take the time to recognize the hardships you have been through and the strength you have shown. It sounds like you have an incredible relationship and I'm sending to help ease the pain.
    Looking forward to hearing about the plans for next year's trip in the near future...
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

darthmacho, I'm sorry not only for your family's loss, but also of the disappointment that you're feeling. I know this was going to be a special trip for you . . . but don't lose the faith, you know it'll just happen a little later. Happy Anniversary and God Bless!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry for your loss, my condolences to your family.
    You've got a very good attitude towards the whole thing and while I know you're very disappointed, if you keep that positive outlook that you've got the year will go by faster than you realize and before you know it, you'll be WDW bound!!!!
    Good luck with the planning - I don't know if you save your change but it adds up as well - I put my loose change in a piggy bank (yes, a real piggy bank that I bought in Mexico at Epcot ) and I consider it "found money".
    Maybe you could start doing that as well and splurge on an Illuminations Cruise or something for your next trip.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have made the best decision. I am sorry for your loss. Here is to planning for next year.

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry to hear about your MIL; it is so stressful when a loved one is sick.

I can only imagine how hard it was to decide to put off the trip, but it sounds like it was the right decision for your family.

There WILL be a trip to WDW, I love the other posters idea of taking the extra time to save for a special event that you normally wouldn't have been able to do!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my dad 3 weeks ago to cancer so I can see that postponing the trip was a good idea. I would like to wish you a Happy Anniversary. Maybe you could take a trip to the Disney Store for some of that Disney magic It usually works for my ds.

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry for your loss. Sending you prayers and pixie dust. The prayers are for you and your family to begin healing and the pixie dust for your upcoming trip. God Bless You!
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear about your loss. I am glad that you were able to make the best decision possible for your family. Only you can make a decision of this type and know what is best for you. I am glad that you were able to give so much love and support to your MIL during this difficult time.

Do you live anywhere New York City? Maybe you can take a trip sometime to the World of Disney to tide yourselves over for a bit.

I hope that you're able to save up for the vacation of your dreams when you decide plan your trip. Happy 10th wedding anniversary, and just think, #11 will be ere before you know it.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry to hear of you and your family's loss. It seems I remember seeing where you were planing this trip - I was sad to see you had to cancel.

As they say there is a reason for the way things happen. Getting an extra year to plan will hopefully make the trip all the more special. I look forward to seeing you around the boards.
    "Believe me, it's the most exciting and challenging assignment we have ever tackled at Walt Disney Productions."
    Walt Disney speaking on the future Disney World

Post Thanks / Like

I am very sorry for your loss. Your mother-in-law was blessed to have such a wonderful and loving family.

Robyn
    I never look back, darling! It distracts from the now.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry about your mother in law. I'm also sorry that you have to miss your trip. I know how disappointed you must be. As Checkers and Beth said, the time will fly by. Have fun planning the trip for your 11th anniversay. And by the way, Happy 10th Anniversary

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the support. I'll live vicariously through the Trip Reports for one more year, anyway. Thanks again!
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: