Quantcast "I wish I knew that before I joined DVC"

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "I wish I knew that before I joined DVC"

To all members:

Was there anything that you have since found out as a DVC member that you wished you had known before you joined?

It can be a positive thing (like a discount you didn't know you'd get) or a negative thing (like restrictions or rules you were not made aware of before buying).

I'm trying to find out ALL I can about DVC, so there are no surprises. I'm in the process of gathering info to present to DH when he gets back this summer for his R&R from Iraq. I want to have all my ducks in a row, as they say, so *if* we decide to buy in, we won't be hit with any surprises after the fact. We plan to do an open house at the DLR, so I want to make sure I have all my questions ready as well.

So, tell me all the things you found out about AFTER the fact, good or bad.

Thanks in advance!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds cheesy but the only thing I wish I knew was how much I was going to love DVC and want to come back more often... sooner! Dont wait to buy the points you want because the prices go up & up & up.
    '94-DVC OKW * '94-'96 OKW * '97 OKW, BWV * '98 OKW, DI * '99 OKW, FW * '00 OKW, VB * '01 OKW,Y&BC,BWV * '02 SSR * '03-'05 OKW*2006 BWV,AKL*'07 OKW * '08 AKV, SSR * '10 BLT * '11 BLT Next: 03/13 WL

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just as cheesy...

I wish we would have bought more than 160 points, actually. Now that I've had time to review all the places I want to stay and all the things I want to do - I feel like we have to settle in some ways (studio v. 1 br, for example) in order to get more out of our points. I would have liked to have had so many points that we were squeezing in time to use them or rent them instead of squeezing into a smaller room just to stay there longer.
    Mother of 2
    DVC Member since 09/07
    ASM 09/07
    VB 01/08
    AKV Concierge 09/08
    AKV Studio Savannah View 12/08
    DCL - Wonder 10/09
    AKV Jambo House, Concierge 01/10

Future Trips:
    BWV 09/10
    Hawaii DVC in 2011! Woo Hoo!

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I knew how many time I would visit WDW in the years before I purchased my points. It could have been paid off and paid for itself already. From my first interest in DVC until the time of purchase I probably spent close to the purchase price paying for trips.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

...That we wouldn't really use the points for other Disney resorts. I love the DVC resorts but my all-time favorite is/was the Polynesian. The point price is way too high (not cost or point-efficient) and probably will go up over the years. But maybe someday they'll build a DVC wing at the Poly!

Post Thanks / Like

Like most everyone else: I wish I knew how much we would enjoy, love it and had bought more points than we did initially!!! Hey but thats what add ons are for!!
    Bazz
    81 - Offsite, 97,98 - Dixie Landings
    99 - BWV - DVC Member
    00 - BWV/DCL-Wonder
    01 - BWV,OKW, 02, 03 - OKW
    04 - OKW, SSR
    05 - SSR - May, OKW-Aug, BCV-OCT
    06 - SSR - May, SSR - Aug, VWL-OCT
    07 - SSR - Jan, OKW - Jul, SSR,BCV -Oct
    08 - SSR - May, SSR - Jul, SSR - Sep

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased my DVC at AKV; in fact I just sent my documents back yesterday. It took my wife and me over eight months to decide. What really hit home was that we just love it there. When we are at Disney as a family we never argue not once, weird actually. I also found a cost analyst on purchasing, after several examples the bottom line is that you will save on hotel costs over the years. My other reason is that I want to stay at a nice resort if choose not to go to one of the parks. I also agree, buy enough points now don't skimp, we purchased enough to match our current yearly trip. I don't think you can go wrong. Right now they are doing some great incentives to buy in.

Good luck with your decision.
    ---------------------------------
    DVC Member Since 04/08 Animal Kingdom Villas

CS 5/2010, SS 4/2010, AKV 11/2009, BW 5/2009,
    SS 2/2009, SS 10/2008, POR 7/2008, WC 8/2007
    POR 12/2006, POR 10/2005, POR 10/2004, FW 10/2002
    FW 10/1993, OS 12/1989

Post Thanks / Like

I think what I'm struggling the hardest right now is with how many points to buy. 160 is just not enough, for us. We will rarely (if ever) stay in a studio. Our reasoning for considering DVC is the separate spaces afforded by the 1 and 2br units. This is essential for us, as we have a son with autism, and sharing one room for all of us is just not in the cards.

I feel like we could make 180-200 work, by going every other year, which is most likely for us. We live in CA now, so yearly trips are not going to be the norm, but then there's the possibility of moving back east in a couple years, so...

Anyway, keep the responses coming. I had a feeling there'd by a bunch of "I wish we had bought more points..." replies.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

We bought 200 points. We have 4 kids. This allows us to go every other year 8 nights Sanvanah view (AKL) at the second most busy times of the year in a 2 bedroom.

Thats how we bought. Knowing we would do every other year at this point during school breaks with the kids. We like to travel other places too. As the kids get older and we don't need two bedroom...we like the resort and could see us going many times during the year to the resort (not always the parks) or another DVC without them or passing it on to grandkids...way....way down the road.

What I wish I knew before I bought....there were no scams or hidden things. I was fearful of Timeshares and thought they were for suckers. This isn't the same as other timeshares. Disney had the name and proven track record to maintain a certain level of service and standard. (Side note: We stayed at CBR and my husband thought it was 5 years old....it was 20! That helped sell us!)

Good Luck....we have been a happy after our first stay and reading Intercot!

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I knew... AKV would be the next resort and I would only have to wait 3 months to get their points instead of SSR (I like SSR but I LOVE AKL)

I wish I knew... more about buying points from other sources like The Timeshare Store. I've got my eye out for extra points on their website. I'm hearing good things about them.

I wish I bought... more points. We have 220 and between saving A LOT on our DCL, I want to be able to go more more more (did I say more).

Good luck with your decision. Can't say that I regret it at all, even with my wishes. You have good questions... mine was a purely emotional decision and you're really thinking!!!!
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMTStone View Post

Good luck with your decision. Can't say that I regret it at all, even with my wishes. You have good questions... mine was a purely emotional decision and you're really thinking!!!!
    I suffer from a genetic inability to make emotional decisions.

Research, research, research, is what I always do.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I wish we had bought in sooner ... that's the biggest thing. We would have saved a lot of money per point if we had.

I wish we had bought more than 160 points. 160 is just enough to take the basic trips we take each year, but we'd like to have a little more flexibility. We'll be buying more points once Contemporary goes on sale.

The only things I wish I had known that could be construed as negative are, I wish I had known that there was no late check-out at DVC. We often leave late on our last day and being able to hold your room until the early afternoon is nice.

I also wish I had known that DVC's Members Services isn't so hot. They often seem disinterested in your problems.

But I can't say that knowing either of those things up front would have changed our minds. More like we just would have been better prepared and avoided some irritating situations.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the other posters-- I wish I had more points but money is always an issue. My main "I wish I knew" would be to make sure you know which resort you want to stay at most often. We almost bought into Saratoga Springs, not knowing we could buy a Beach Club resale, which we did. Make sure you buy where you will want to stay the most.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the OTHER thing I'm struggling with is "where to buy?".

Definitely NOT interested in SSR, but that's about to be sold off soon (like, mid May), from what I was told.

Don't really want AKL, although I really do like the "sleeper chair" in the one bedrooms, which would definitely work in our favor, having kids who cannot share a bed (my autistic son won't share a bed with anyone). That way, we'd not have to get a 2br unit and could get by with less points. But, I hate how isolated AKL is, and I really am not into the themeing there.

I would love BCV, but I don't necessarily want a shorter contract. We're still young (not quite 30 years old yet), so by 2042, when the BCV contracts expire, we'll still be fairly young, in my opinion. In contrast, the AKL DVC expires in 2057...
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Yeah, the OTHER thing I'm struggling with is "where to buy?".

Definitely NOT interested in SSR, but that's about to be sold off soon (like, mid May), from what I was told.
    I also said I would never buy into SSR. I remember standing at DTD watching it go up and thinking that it looked like a huge condo that just did not fit with the theming of Disney in any way shape or form. It did not take me long to change my mind. After going to see the rooms then actually staying in them, I LOVE SSR! The rooms are beautiful and quiet, the scenery is great (my DH loves waking up to the golf course) and being so close to DTD is a big plus too.
    You never know how you will feel until you walk in the doors...
    I do hope to buy into WL one day though. We started with 210 points and soon found that it was not enough for us either.
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

lockedoutlogic Guest

the only thing i wish i wouldn've known was more of a long term plan on development....

they have almost oversaturated their room inventory at WDW already....and if they continue to sell ownerships it easily could get to the point that you have to book your home resort outside the 7 month window or you won't be able to go anywhere....

I of course realize the demand level at WDW as a whole.....but investing a large chunk of money to "own a piece".....then basically having to fight for scraps all the times seems......wrong...to me.

I just don't really want to get off the phone and be "glad I got something"...which is already beginning to happen.

I have hopes that they might one day expand wilderness lodge...maybe convert part of yacht club.....to lessen the strain.......I'm pretty sure we'll see DVC at the poly and GF before too long....that might help a little

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

I just don't really want to get off the phone and be "glad I got something"...which is already beginning to happen.
    I admit this worries me too. I have seen a LOT of posts of this nature. I always wonder how Disney decides how many contracts to sell, because really, there is a finite number of DVC rooms available, but it seems like they just keep on selling, faster than they are building more. And how do they account for people who buy, like 500+ point contracts vs. 160? Obviously, those 500 point people are going to go much more often...

I sort of wish they'd do away with the whole 7 and 11 month booking "windows" and make it the same as their room only reservations (you can reserve 499 days in advance) and just leave it at that. I really don't want to HAVE to plan my trips 11months out and wake up at the crack of dawn to call and "try" to get the dates I want. Seems like a pain, and it sort of doesn't allow for spontaneous trips either.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Another owner willing to stand up for SSR ... all I'll say is, don't knock it til you try it. I wasn't all that excited about it either, but lemme tell you ... we love it there now.

People are under the impression it's not in a good location, which simply isn't true. In fact, it's very close to Epcot and DHS. It's a bit farther to MK, but it's certainly closer to 3 of the 4 parks than AKL is. I mean by comparison, even VWL is farther from 3 of the 4 parks than SSR is.

Anyway, as far as the point allocation goes. There are pretty strict rules in place governing time share sales. The entire "point" concept is what compensates for larger vs. smaller ownership interests. They can only sell out so many points per resort, which is dictated by available beds, rooms, etc. It's pretty tightly regulated. Just because they're continuing to sell, doesn't mean you're ever going to be unable to book a room when you want to.

And even if they add, that doesn't do anything because when they add they sell the new points to new members (or even existing members ... doesn't matter).
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I wish we would have bought sooner.
    I wished for expanded Member Services
    We love SSR, the grounds are wonderful and it is convenient to everything!
    As for the booking out complaints, we don't have any problems, but as you can see we don't go during peak times (I have no desire to be at my favorite place when it's super crowded).
    We have 200 points, go yearly (average 8 nights) and alternate between Studios and 1-2 BR's, my theory is if we had more points we would use them but, we don't NEED more points. Like anything else, we work with our budget.
    May'98-WL
    Sept'01-POFQ
    Oct'03-ASM
    Aug'04-CBR & Charley
    Dec'05- WL-Joined DVC
    June'06- DL's Grand Californian
    Nov '06 SSR
    Oct '07 SSR with extended family
    Oct '08 Disney Wonder/OKW
    Nov '09 AKV @ Kidani
    Nov '10 Kidani
    Nov '11 VWL
    May-June 13 Kidani
    Feb-March '14 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

My decision to purchase was an impulse buy back in April 2007. I know that you should never buy on impulse, but I did and I'm glad I did. It was sight unseen, and though DH and I had been discussing it since our 2006 trip, I wasn't suppose to even consider buying at that time until June 2008. But it's done now and we finally get to use it in 45 days.

That said, I wish I had known exactly how I would use my points before I did it. We bought the min. 160 at SSR and for our upcoming trip, we are using banked 2006 points we received as incintive to buy 2007 points, and borrowed points from 2008. Now we'll to always borrow to go each year until I can add on (which I'm sure won't be too far into the future). I'll probably add on 200-250 points and if I don't use all of the points one year, then the next year, we'll take family with us again. I think it would be great to have a Grand Villa just for us, or take a very extended vacation, maybe 10-15 days one year. Who knows.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: