Quantcast Pulling the kids out of school

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling the kids out of school

So, make me feel better okay?

We weren't sure that we would be able to do a Disney vacation this year, but free dining gave us the chance. Our schools start at the end of August (with a pretty serious week to ten days of back to school activities before that) ...so we opted to wait until later in the month of September to go. We figured we'd get the kids (2nd grade and kindergarten) into the groove and used to school before we left. They'll have 4 weeks of school. Then miss 5 days. I keep worrying that I made the wrong choice....

Anyone else pulling the kids out of school for their free dining trip to WDW?? Make me feel better about it! Please!?

A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes!
    • First ever trip - 1993
    • Honeymoon Trip - CSR - 1999
    • DS First Visit - ASM - 2003
    • DS#2 First Visit - ASSports - 2005
    • NExt Trip: DD First Visit - ASMu - 2008 w/Free Dining!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the ONLY way to travel!!! Don't get me wrong, I am not a proponent of pulling my kids out of school on a regular basis, however, for special occassions like a family vacation, I don't even think twice (especially during grade school).

We did free dining in Sept in 2006 and our girls (a 3rd and preschooler at the time) were pulled from school to join us. We had the time of our lives and I dont' regret pulling them out for a moment. Due to the free dining and the smaller crowds, we were able to enjoy the trip so much more and really take our time in seeing WDW. We were never stressed out from crowds and could really enjoy our time together.

We are planning on doing the same this year if we can financially make it happen. You see, after returning from our last trip, I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and I was given only 6 months to live. Praise God, I had the right doctors put in my path and it looks like we have beat the cancer. However, I learned one thing, you MUST treasure every single day because you don't know when your last day on this earth may be!! With that, we are going to try to get back to WDW as often as possible and enjoy our children and enjoy our family time together!!

Believe me, unless your kids are really struggling with school, one week is not going to effect them at all!! We had our DD8 (at that time) get an Epcot passport and learn as much as she could about all the countries in the World Showcase and she did an oral report on it when she got home. It was truly an educational experience for her!!
    John (aka HndrdPrcnt)

DL CM 1987 - 1994
    CM WDW Trips 87,89,90,92
    CBR 1994
    Beach Club 1998
    All Stars 2000
    POP Sept 25-Oct 2 2006

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Don't feel bad about it at all... I think there comes a point for many different families when it becomes necessary to pull the kids for a vacation. I'm a nurse, and I just can't get winter or spring breaks off to take our kids anywhere, and I just refuse to try to do Disney in the heat of the summer -- we'd never enjoy it. So, we end up pulling them for a week or so when the time suits our family, and so far, their teachers have been great about it -- we do whatever work we can ahead of time, and plan for whatever they'll have to make up.

I'd go ahead and do whatever is best for your family -- and saving all that $$$ during free dining is certainly worth it, I'd say!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think twice about it. At the beginning of the year, most everything is review. You don't have a lot of time with your children as they grow up. They are, after all, your children. Love them and cherish them and take them to WDW! We're taking ours the first of Sept. About a week and a half after school starts. They are very smart, bright kids. We can't get summer or spring break vacations and the kids deserve to have a nice family vacation. Have fun and don't worry about school. They will be just fine and learn a lot while they are there.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

When my daughter was younger I used to do this every year! I think its ok at this age. Lets face it theyre not really learning anything in k-2 that cant be caught up on. I would always let her teachers know we would be out of town and see if there was any work they wanted her to do while we were gone. It seems as the years go by more teachers want more work going with you. This age is great to do this because once they hit jr high and high school its harder and harder for the kids to play catch up with their work and/or get it all done while on vacation too.

Dont worry and Have Fun!!!!!
    '94-DVC OKW * '94-'96 OKW * '97 OKW, BWV * '98 OKW, DI * '99 OKW, FW * '00 OKW, VB * '01 OKW,Y&BC,BWV * '02 SSR * '03-'05 OKW*2006 BWV,AKL*'07 OKW * '08 AKV, SSR * '10 BLT * '11 BLT Next: 03/13 WL

Post Thanks / Like

When they are in elementary school, it's not a problem. From middle school on, it's a huge problem. So just don't get used to it!

Post Thanks / Like

Same grades as my 2 kids. 1 will be going into 2nd & the other starting Kindergarten. We're taking them out 9/18-9/24. I feel bad about it as well but we haven't had a vacation in 7 or 8 years & are really due one & from my experience of going in September to Disney, we won't go at any other time. It's great. I think if your kids typically miss alot of school that's one thing but my DD had perfect attendance in Kindergarten & only missed 2 days this year so I don't think they can complain about that. Don't stress about it. Many folks do it & although the school may frown upon it, it's not up to them & they'll get over it. Have fun & don't worry.
    Upcoming Trip - 9/2012
    9/18/10-9/25/10 POP (kids stay & play free)
    9/17/08-9/24/08 POP (free dining)
    9/2000 CBR
    9/1998 Offsite
    9/1996 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gardenia View Post
    When they are in elementary school, it's not a problem. From middle school on, it's a huge problem. So just don't get used to it!
    That is not necessarily true. My DS is now in Grade 10 and we pulled him out in Dec for 2 1/2 weeks and we are again pulling him out for 1 1/2 weeks next week. His teachers have NO problems with it and he still maintains an above 90 average! It all depends on the child. We have pulled him from school for every Disney vacation as we won't do Disney during peak periods.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

I have always pulled my kids out of school when they were in Elem. and some in Middle. But as they got older trying to get them out of school was hard. Nothing to do with the school but my kids would refuse to go. So enjoy the time you have with them. One day they will just suprise you and refuse to go during school time. Have a great time.
    Walt will always be my HERO.

1973 - 1999 Disneyland twice a month
    2003 June offsite WDW
    2004 & 2006 Dec. AK
    2007 Feb. PP Disneyland
    2008 Jan. All Star Movies
    2009 Jun. DLH Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HndrdPrcnt View Post
    This is the ONLY way to travel!!! Don't get me wrong, I am not a proponent of pulling my kids out of school on a regular basis, however, for special occassions like a family vacation, I don't even think twice (especially during grade school).

We are planning on doing the same this year if we can financially make it happen. You see, after returning from our last trip, I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and I was given only 6 months to live. Praise God, I had the right doctors put in my path and it looks like we have beat the cancer. However, I learned one thing, you MUST treasure every single day because you don't know when your last day on this earth may be!! With that, we are going to try to get back to WDW as often as possible and enjoy our children and enjoy our family time together!!

Believe me, unless your kids are really struggling with school, one week is not going to effect them at all!! We had our DD8 (at that time) get an Epcot passport and learn as much as she could about all the countries in the World Showcase and she did an oral report on it when she got home. It was truly an educational experience for her!!
    And this is the reason we don't hesitate to pull our DD15 out of high school. The school has been totally supportive, and for that I've very grateful. Family time is so precious, and none of us are guaranteed a "tomorrow". When you and your kids look back 10 years from now, missing a few days of school seems pretty minor for what you have given each other in precious memories. As my pastor said, no one has ever said from their death bed, "Gee, I wish I would have worked more hours...". When it's all said and done, jobs & school will pass, but family is forever.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

My parents always pulled us and I'd do the same with my daughter. My teachers always worked with us.

I didn't have problems keeping up but depending on the classes some kids may (my advanced placement teachers in high school were more demanding than my high pressure manager now at work!) It depends on the child.

If your child is in high school and struggles to begin with then I'd think twice (at this point you're worrying about bigger issues like college acceptance), but if he/she does fine then by all means!!!
    "Hey! That's some destination!"

Post Thanks / Like

For kids in 2nd grade and kindergarten, I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. I agree that it gets tougher once they get older, but then again it depends on the child. Just make sure you have the support of the childrens' teachers and that school policy does not prohibit these kind of absences.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I pull my kids out, too. Just let the school know ahead of time. I have had teachers put together a packet of papes for the kids to do on the plane or in the airport just so they have an idea of what was going on while they were gone. (And knowing they're on their way to DW helps for that work to get done a whole lot faster than if the have make-up work when they get back!!! Plus you're their to help )
    DL/DCA 40+ days a year 1999-2004
    10 D. CBR 6/02
    11 D. AKL 7/05
    6 D. CBR 12/05
    11 D. BWR 7/06
    11 D. POFQ (never again) 7/07
    7 D. CBR 11/07
    12 D. AKL/CR 7/08
    11 D. AKL 12/09
    12 D. BWI 6/10
    10 D. AKL 11/10
    10 D. POR (never again) 6/11
    10 D. AKL 12/11
    10 D. CBR 6/12
    Next 11D BWI 11/12

Post Thanks / Like

We did it two years ago in 2006 when we had a two girls in school...one in kindergarten and one in 2nd grade. Our school is number 2 in the state of Louisiana. Test scores and attendance are very important. We talked to the teachers and worked it out. Late September usually isn't a time for the "most" important test.

We are taking them again next week...now in 1st and 4th grades. Most of the important testing is done with.

Once school starts back in the fall, talk to the teachers.

I wish you the best.

Patrick
    Patrick
    Meteorologist/Disney Nut/Disney Travel Agent
    May, 2012 (WL)
    December, 2014 (Contemporary)
    April, 2015 (POLY)
    May, 2015 Disneyland
    July, 2015 (POFQ)
    December, 2015 (BC)[/SIZE]

Post Thanks / Like

This is the 1st year we will be pulling the kids out of school the 1st week in October. We have a 17 year old who will be off to college soon, as well as a 3rd grader, where everything Disney is so "relevant" to him right now. We went to Disney about 11 years ago in mid-June and swore NEVER again (for us anyway - too crowded, too hot and also, this was before fastpass, too). We really wanted a chance to enjoy Disney without the tremendous crowds and thought this would be a better way to enjoy it. Don't feel too badly about it...as long as you touch base with the teachers before going so they can have a heads up - you'll be fine. Have a great trip -

Post Thanks / Like

I homeschool. But, I think that I see things differently so it might help a bit. Kids learn in everyday experiences just as much or maybe more than at school. Kids sitting in a classroom all day don't get to experience these types of things and they should. So, I'd take them out.
    But, the teachers may have different ideas. And I know that the pressure you might feel is hard. But, remember these are your children and you know what is best for your family.
    They might get a little behind but the first few weeks of school are usually review. I would work with the younger one before she starts school just to get her a little ahead in phonics. If she doesn't already know her letters and sounds that would be a great place to start. Try Letter Factory by Leap Frog. It is a DVD. Have her watch it everyday this summer. Start counting everything and show her the numbers. This is where they will start in kindergarten and she won't miss a thing. The second grader, that will be a little different but you could get some second grade workbooks and work with her this summer too. That might help a bit.
    Good Luck. I am so happy that I don't have to deal with this situation. I feel for you!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am a teacher and I pull my own kids out for vacations to WDW. I think family time is important.

However, if you are concerned, ask the school if you can do an independent study contract. Basically the teachers sends the weeks work with you on vacation. If it is all complete, the child & school get attendance credit. I did this last year for both of my kids. It worked well. Everyday we had downtime in the afternoon and they did an hour of homework.

Have a wonderful trip!
    Jodi șoș

Post Thanks / Like

We have pulled out kids out for a week every year for the past seven years. I have to admit that now that my oldest DD is in middle school it does get harder for her every year. 6th grad was a breeze but this past year in 7th it was a bit harder for her. She seemed alot more stressed when we got back because of having to make so much work up as well as doing her regular homework. We have another trip planned for Nov. of this year and she will be in 8th grade so I asked her if she thought it was going to be too much. She said that she wanted to do it this year but once she is in high school we will stop it. She has kept her grades up ok but it was very stressful for her. We have had many years of great vacations so I am very sad that we won't be doing this anymore but I do have all the past memories. School vacations and summer just are not an option for us. We just can't take the heat and the crowds. DH and I will probably still go at times and maybe after taking a break for a few years we will be willing to try summer time but I'm not sure. So to those with kids in elementary school I say take them out now while you can and while making up the work is easier.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

As a teacher, I must chime in!! I think that you have to do whatever you feel is right- this differs from family to family.

1.) I think taking the kids out for a family vacation is fine as long as the kids have good attendance throughout the year.

2.) But, I also don't think it's right to ask the teacher for the week's worth of work before you go. I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten work together for kids at their parents request and the work does not get done. Let's be real.... who is doing any quality schoolwork at WDW? I prefer that kids keep a little journal telling me what they do each day of their vacation, draw picture- depending on the age.

JMHO!!!
    Karin

February 1989 day trip
    July 1991 day trip
    CBR July 2006
    Rental House off Property July 2007
    POR Sept 2007 (free dining!!)
    POR August 2008 (free dining!!)
    Rental House off Property August 2009
    POR August 2010 (free dining!!)

Post Thanks / Like

We took our boys out last Oct. for a week (1st and 4th grades) and it wasn't a problem . I would check with the school/teacher as I've read some schools are very strict with vacation absences, but if they're okay with it then I say go for it! At that age missing a week isn't a big deal--my 4th grader had some work to do but the 1st grader did not .

We're going to be doing the same again this December, and I'm hoping to do it again in Oct. of '09 when my oldest is in 6th grade. We figure it will get harder in middle school and up, so we want to take advantage of the off-season as much as possible
    DVC owners at AKV since March '08

Upcoming trips: Dec. 2008 AKV (40th b-day trip!), Jan 2009 AKV (mom's trip w/best friend)

June 2008--"Bonus" trip Hilton DTD
    Feb. 2008--POR (moms' trip w/best friend)
    Oct. 2007--POR
    Dec. 1988--offsite
    1982--DL Hotel
    1972 ('73?)--Contemporary

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: