Quantcast High Pressure Sales?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default High Pressure Sales?

I don't know if this has been asked before, so here goes.

We have always seen the displays for the DVC but never had the courage to step up to it. We have heard horror stories from friends about the high pressure sales techniques used by other (read: non-Disney) properties.

Now, everyone. Tell the truth: how high pressure are the sales techniques at DVC?

High pressure?

Team Sales?

Brow Beating?

Intimidating?

Stealing Our Children for It's A Small World if we don't agree to buy?
    Officially too many trips to list here!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just like you...I HATE high pressure sales and the only reason I even went on the DVC tour was because I already knew I was buying in all those many years ago. I was so afraid of the things you mentioned but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised that there was no pressure at all! It was great! The rep was awesome and it was totally relaxed and informative. I think (I could be wrong) that the DVC salespeople are on salary and not commissioned based which might have a lot to do with it. Either way it was nothing like our RIC timeshare pitch, which again, I only went on because I knew we would get it - which was over the top high pressure. In that case though, its worth to hold back a little as the deal gets a little better with each "no thanks". DVC is actually a fun tour IMO.. like everything Disney does!

Post Thanks / Like

Glen, our sales rep, was FABULOUS. There was nothing mentioned above. Glen sat with us and answered every question we had, he never pushed, pulled, twisted or wrangled. We did sign the day we left and they worked everything out perfectly. I never once felt pressured. I know I could have walked out at any time and not felt like I had been forced.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

No Pressure!! We went....kinda interested....

We actually really liked what we heard and felt like we kept the meeting going long. We could have been done in 30 min. EASY...we were there 1.5 hours. We called him every day over the next 5 days with questions we came up with and he answered honestly with NO pressure. We did it and LOVE it.

I actually tell people to go if they are mildly thinking about it and hear if there are good incentives to go (we got free fast passes for us and the kids) because you hear and see all about what you have been wondering about....with out the pressure.

As to what the OP said about Salary vs commission: I wonder the same thing. I think they get a great salary (Our guide talked about how long he worked at WDW before he got this job) but I have to think there probably is some comission. I would love to hear from someone who knows!

If you are interested.....take the tour....little pressure....and you get ice cream at the end!

Post Thanks / Like

I think DVC must pay their sales' reps salaries that are high for the industry as they do not push at all. Although there has to be some sort of commission - hey, it is a sales business after all!

Their attitude is great. It's sort of like, "Here's what we've got. It's a great product. Call me if you're interested. Take your time, and good luck with your decision." There's really NO pressure to buy at all. We have been surprised at how lax the sales' reps can be at times...

We've added points over the years, and NEVER have they tried any pitch to get us to do more than we wanted.

Our initial contracts were done totally over the phone and via fax/mail.

One time we actually went and met with our sales' rep - he was great. Gave us FP's and ice cream just for saying hello!
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Having the same reservations you have regarding high pressure sales, I was nervous going into our tour. However, it really is true--DVC is different. Our guide was anything but high pressure.
    Upcoming Trips:

March '11 Beach Club Villas
    July '11 Disney Institute Seminar-Beach Club
    Aug '11 Wonder to Alaska
    Nov '11 BLT

DVC Member Since 11/06

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that if there is any "high pressure" to your visit, it most likely would be coming from a spouse.
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

I totally understand your reservations regarding
    high-pressure sales persons...however, I must say we purchased our DVC resort at OKW in 2000 and our sale rep was not pushy at all. In fact, she just plugged in a DVD and left us alone in the room. After DH and I watched this magical DVD with glittery pictures of happy people and Disney's amazing music, we were convinced that we should own a piece of the magic. The DVD is the powerful tool, I mean after watching it and purchasing DVC we joked around about changing our names to Disney! The Queen
    Queen Stephanie
    1997 Allstar
    1998 CBR
    1999 Poly
    1999 Wilderness Lodge
    2000 POR/Vero Beach DVC
    2001 Disneyland Hotel
    2002 OKW
    2003 Poly
    2004 OKW
    2005 OKW
    2006 OKW
    2007 OKW
    2008 OKW & SSR
    2009 AKL & OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mook3y View Post
    I would say that if there is any "high pressure" to your visit, it most likely would be coming from a spouse.
    ITA!
    All of our communication was done over the phone. We bought in sight unseen. Our rep fielded many calls from us over the course of a few days while my husband went back and forth. We never felt any pressure at all.

My husband was the only one to feel any kind of pressure, from me!!
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

We had a very relaxed and informative tour. We were never pushed or pressured and Maribelle, our Vacation Club Guide, was great. We spent about an hour and a half with her at WDW and a few hours over the phone in the week after our return to finalize our purchase. I have no reservations in recommending DVC to anyone who is even a little bit interested. The Magic is there.
    Bill
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

AKL, Jambo, September 18 to October 2, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

No pressure at all when we were looking. That would be very un-Disney like.
    Many, many visits since 1973....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pressure

The only pressure was from us calling Brendan every other day to ask questions. He was really patient. We didn't visit at the parks, we ordered the DVD online then took a few months to call them.

I'm with Sean Riley Taylor's mom (as usual)...
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone for your time and input. I hope it puts others at ease if they are considering purchasing DVC.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for all the responses. My DH and I have thought about looking into it but we haven't because we've had bad experiences in the past with VC sales people. I think we'll have to look into it in Oct.

I have one question - Which resort do they show you? Do you have a choice?
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

They show you Saratoga Springs (I believe that it is not sold out yet), but they also show you a sample of AK right there at Saratoga. So, you get a choice.

Good Luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by garymacd View Post
    Stealing Our Children for It's A Small World if we don't agree to buy?
    You say that like it's a BAD thing !

Quote Originally Posted by mook3y View Post
    Amen. I was skeptical and reluctant until DW, our resident bookkeeper and budget guru, said she thought it would be good for us. I had the last word in THAT discussion. "Yes, dear." And I haven't regretted that decision one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidsmom View Post
    If you are interested.....take the tour....little pressure....and you get ice cream at the end!
    "Little" pressure? Not in our case. More like NO pressure. Our guide, Susie, was the most laid-back salesperson I've ever encountered. And that's a GOOD thing!

Susie was so good to work with that we subsequently ended up making three additional purchases after our first. When we're in the SSR area, we often stop by the Preview Center just to say Hi to her.

And BTW - we were referred to Susie by the world-famous JimmyC , another DVC member.

And who can resist free ice cream at the end of the tour ?
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I Will Have To Check It Out When Im Their In November

Post Thanks / Like

No pressure at all. Our guide Rob gave us a great presentation, answered all of our questions, and knew we were not going to sign right away. He sent us out feeling informed, not pressured and seriously considering. By later that day. DW and I had decided that were in. ON the flight home we determined that 160 wasn't enough, then 180 wasn't enough, and settled at 210. Now we are at 295!

A year ago, as I looked forward to our WDW trip to the Swan, I had no intention of even talking to someone at the kiosks let alone taking the tour. But I am glad we did!
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

Post Thanks / Like

I agree - not only low pressure but no pressure. AND we got fast passes to use immed. at any ride. Something like 4 rides for every person in our group. AND they kept giving them to us - I think we ended up with 12 each - we had to finally give some away because we couldn't use them all.

I think we pressured the sales guy more than he pressured us. I felt bad about harassing him instead of the other way around. We only had one day left so he came in on his day off to finalize everything and according to the other sales lady - he did not really have to be there - which makes me think that they are on salary and not commission.

After we signed up he sent us stuff for the kids and some other things. Very nice - nothing like I have ever experienced with time shares before
    GMGDISNEYMOM
    6/14 BCV
    7/13 DL-Paradise Pier
    4/12 AKL
    12/11 SSR
    11/10 VWL
    11/09 AKL
    4/09 FWC
    10/08 - VWL
    6/08 BV (1st DVC trip!)
    1/08 - AKL
    4/07 - FWC
    12/96 - OKW
    5/88- C
    11/84 - LBVV
    11/77 - C

Post Thanks / Like

I actually had to pressure our guide as I needed to get the airport and wanted to sign on the dotted line before our plane left!

On the other hand, the sales staff at Sheraton made me cry (seriously). Not nice at all.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: