Quantcast Ugggh!! In-Laws bought Time Share but not DVC! - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that perhaps something that might need to be considered here is the fact that we're not talking about going off property once to keep peace with the inlaws...remember timeshares last a long time...and as you read the thread by Jakeybake realize his family likely now has an expectation of him doing Disney this way for a long, long time.

In the posts he has said he appreicated the gesture which the gift represented, but seemed to wish that his inlaws, in a gift that was going to be as chronologically durable as this one, had gotten a little feedback from the people who it appears were meant to be the intended recipients.

Yes, it nice to have the surprise factor in giving something to someone...but on a big ticket gift the risk you take is that sometimes you miss the mark. White elephant gifts can come in all sizes and with widely varied price tags. As, I said in an earlier post most of us have some in our closets (and may have even regifted a few over the years ). The fact that this one was very pricey doesn't change the dynamic of the situation to me.

Hopefully, my final
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

First let me say I am NOT familiar with timeshares. My family and I love to stay in Disney Resorts, and have always stayed on site. Up until now we would never consider staying offsite. Due to the economy we are toying with the idea, mainly we rent a car at the airport and can move about easily from park to park. I do wonder about parking cost though.

We spend most the time in the parks so I am not sure this would be much of an issue. One possible positive about this timeshare is the ability to stay in other locations in the US that DVC doesn't.

When I think of a vacation I do think Disney first. BUT my DD and I have had the incredible experience to go to Canada, NYC and in June we are going to Australia!! But Disney is still the vacation spot we love.

If it is not a long trip maybe it will not be too bad. Use your extreme Disney knowledge to help make it work if you go. I would hate to see you miss a Disney trip with your DW and DD because of this. And I agree that break away and book a day or two or three at one of the resorts.

I wish you extreme luck in this matter and tons and tons of pixie dust.
    POR 04/2018
    CB - 01/2018
    Contemporary - 12/2017
    Poly - 06/2017
    GF - 08/2009
    BW - 07/2008
    Contemporary - 11/2007
    Poly - 02/2007
    POR - 12/2004
    Contemporary - 12/2003
    Dixie Landing - 12/2002, 12/2001 8/2000
    Contemporary - 12/1999
    Dixie Landing - 5/1998, 5/1997

Gottaluvgoof Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    I think that perhaps something that might need to be considered by those who have been a bit on the critical side here is the fact that we're not talking about going off property once to keep peace with the inlaws...remember timeshares last a long time...and as you read the thread by Jakeybake realize his family likely now has an expectation of him doing Disney this way for a long, long time.

In the posts he has said he appreicated the gesture which the gift represented, but seemed to wish that his inlaws, in a gift that was going to be as chronologically durable as this one, had gotten a little feedback from the people who it appears were meant to be the intended recipients.

Yes, it nice to have the surprise factor in giving something to someone...but on a big ticket gift the risk you take is that sometimes you miss the mark. White elephant gifts can come in all sizes and with widely varied price tags. As, I said in an earlier post most of us have some in our closets (and may have even regifted a few over the years ). The fact that this one was very pricey doesn't change the dynamic of the situation to me.

Hopefully, my final
    I guess I'm just a different breed. I was always taught not to "Look a gift horse in the face." Maybe the in-laws didn't choose the right location, or maybe they did, because they want to use it in other locations. To me, it was their choice to do whatever they wanted. Maybe it's not just for trips to Disney. Yes, it is a big ticket item, and to me, that is EXACTLY why it should have been their decision. If it were me, I would take their free trip to Disney, then if I really felt a need to go and stay at a Disney resort, I would use my money for another trip. I don't see the problem with going to Disney twice a year. I'm sorry, but no one will ever convince me that this is a bad gift. It's just the way I look at gifts, I guess. I would be very grateful. I might joke to my husband, "Darn I wish it were a DVC," but that would be it. I guess I just don't get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Not your exact situation but a similar one.
    My family was generously gifted with a timeshare 15 years ago by my wonderful parents. They had purchased a lot when I was just a little girl, realized they would never do anything with it and traded it for a timeshare
    at a resort about 3 hours from our home--
    1,000 miles from WDW.
    I can tell you we have enjoyed that gift enormously and have countless priceless family memories because of it. AND-- we have never used our week at our home resort. (That flies in the face of conventional wisdom but since we did not have to pay for it in the first place it has worked for us) We have been blessed to take family and friends to Canada, Spain, Scotland, Mexico, Arizona, California, Georgia,
    etc...oh and YES... ORLANDO...multiple times.
    So here's what I'm thinking:
    1) You have been blessed-- enjoy it. You will have some fabulous family times in Orlando and perhaps many other places you never thought you'd visit.
    2) It is possible to have your Disney cake and eat it, too. Many times we've stayed off property and loved it. Other trips we've paid for ourselves and stayed on property-- loved that too. A few times we've done our traded week off but added a few extra days at one of the resorts...also fantastic.
    It's all good. Tell those kids they have fabulous grandparents and head to Orlando with a song in your heart.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, looks like you got a few more comments than you requested. I can't speak for Royal Palms but I can vouch for giving change a chance. We bought a home outside Disney after staying on site for a number of years and eventually buying a DVC. We loved the idea of a home but were also really nervous about being "offsite". It has worked out really well for us though and I don't regret it at all. I obviously can't say if it will go that way for you, but give it a shot and see what happens. Offsite has worked out just fine for us.

Post Thanks / Like

OK...I wasn't going to respond...but I just had to check...Your in-laws spent $15,000...the Beach Club for Adventure Season (lowest cost) for a two bedroom (assuming that's what you stayed in) is 270 points a week...the Dream season runs 350 points a week. To purchase a DVC at the Beach Club at $94 a point is approx $25,000 for Adventure Season and $33,600 for Dream Season. That's before closing costs and yearly maintenance fees, which are $7 to $9 a point...

It's not hard to figure out why the in-laws may have decided to buy an off-site disney property. Did they ever talk about possibly buying a time share...were they possibly waiting to see if you would like to split the cost of a time-share?

And to those who suggested switching to the Disney Time share...I've tried for five years with zero luck...my family has a TS in Key West and we can swap for a Kissimmee location, but never have been able to switch to Disney...
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Well, just to answer yoour one question. My SIL worked for marriot and we got the time shares (you can rent them out) for about 29 a night at the Marriot royal Palms. It is a very nice place to stay I loved it everytime. And while it isnt the same as staying on property it did have its perks. Like having your parking spot right outside the front door. Also in regaurds to how far it was from disney you can watch the DTD fireworks from the timeshare property. Hope this helps!
    Our Little Princess Isabelle Born 11/30/09

2001-Contemporary
    2005-All Star Movies(Dh Proposed!)
    2007- Honeymoon! Poly-Wilderness-DCL
    Sept 08- Saratoga Springs-Bought DVC!
    May 09- AKL/ Wilderness Villas (Babymoon!)
    Next Trip- Sept.10 AKL Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

We are DVC members that also own a Marriott timeshare. There are some big advantages to owning both. With DVC you can't be a full member of II (Interval International - the exchange company for Marriott, DVC, Hyatt, Sheraton, Westin). Once we bought our Marriott, we were able to become full members of II and take advantage of their "cash" Getaway weeks. What a deal these weeks are. We have stayed in top resorts for around $300 a week - I'm talking Westin, Sheraton, Marriott . Marriott has beautiful properties in Orlando (our favorites so far are Cypress Harbour and Horizons - themed pools/slides and better bedding/furnishings than any DVC we've stayed in). Plus, Marriott has beautiful properties in a lot more locations than DVC.

By the way, Marriott Royal Palms has just been renovated and it shares amenities with the Marriott World Center hotel (which has an indoor pool, restaurants, great feature pool with slide, etc.). But they don't have to stay at Royal Palms - they could trade it through Interval and stay at any Marriott Vacation club in Orlando - maybe even trade into a Marriott Grande Vista 3 bedroom.

Since your parents have bought at Marriott Royal Palms in Orlando, they can't trade into an onsite DVC in Orlando through Interval International (exchange company) - there is a regional block for other Orlando timeshares to trade into DVC, but they could trade their Royal Palms into DVC at Vero Beach or Hilton Head. Also, Marriott has some beautiful properties on Hilton Head Island. Marriott's Koolina resort on the island of Oahu is in the same resort location as the new DVC Hawaii that is being built.

Maybe you can buy some DVC points and then with the parents owning Marriott, you would have a combination that is actually pretty great in my opinion. We often stay in Orlando on both our DVC points and pick up Marriott Getaway weeks on cash (if we have extra family going) and go back and forth between different resorts (Disney and Marriott).

Post Thanks / Like

I knew when I posted this that it would be a tricky post and would have people on both sides of the fence. Like I said earlier, we just love staying on property and the resort is the most important aspect of our trip so I am a bit disappointed that we won't be back at our favorite place in the world, the Beach Club, anytime soon.

Hopefully we get to a point where we trade out to another resort someplace else along with doing our yearly WDW vacation at the BC.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jakeybake View Post
    Like I said earlier, we just love staying on property and the resort is the most important aspect of our trip so I am a bit disappointed that we won't be back at our favorite place in the world, the Beach Club, anytime soon.
    Jay
    Well, you could stay there....you'll just have to pay for it yourself.

If you really want to keep peace and harmony in the family, then do a week at the timeshare with the inlaws. You can then book another trip for yourselves at the Beach Club on your own dime. You said you do other vacations during the year anyway, so it doesn't appear that vacation time is an issue.

I still don't grasp the whole "we can never stay at our favorite resort again." You can...you just have to pay for it yourself. No biggie.

Now, if cost is an issue (and I'm only saying IF), and you can't afford to pay for the Beach Club yourself, and every trip was a freebie, then I don't think I'd be complaining so much that the inlaws didn't get you a timeshare there. I'm not trying to be mean, but this is coming from someone who has paid every cent of every trip we've ever done. If my parents wanted to pay, I would stay anywhere they wanted.

But, that's me.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to WDW 12 times and I paid for the trip 10 of them. The last 2 trips my inlaws paid because they said my kids, "deserved to go once a year" and they wanted to "start a tradition".

I hate "freebies" as you called it and have fought tooth and nail each time they have offered to send us away.

I don't think it's feasible to take more than one trip to WDW a year given our families busy work and social schedule. My son is a very good athlete who is the starting quarterback, starting pitcher/shortstop and starting point guard on his youth sports teams. What comes along with being a great athlete are more commitments. All Star tournaments etc. Also, I coach his teams so my commitment is there as well.

I'm not looking for a handout believe me, nor am I ungrateful for all the do for us. I am just looking at one WDW vacation a year and I am not locked into a place I would rather not stay at.

Hence the dilemma.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Just visit the website of their timeshare!
    You can still go and have a great time.
    Maybe, when the kids get older THEY might not want to go to disney.. I know it's blasphamy but it could happen!
    And with your son being an athlete you might need to trade the time share to go to tournements around the country at some point.
    You could still go to the time share, extend your vacation a few days and stay on property.
    All I'm saying is dont' write off the time share sight unseen. Give it a chance.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

I feel for you Jakeybake. Let's face it, we are all spoiled in that most of us have not only been to WDW but plan to make it a habit. I complain about all kinds of silly things like no towel animals or a not so magical cast member. Yes, I am spoiled. Disney spoils me. That pixie dust is like a drug, I am always jonesing for some more! And for me the resort is a huge part of the experience. So I don't blame Jake for his small wail of anguish! He has made it clear he appreciates the good intentions of his in-laws. I have a slightly similar situation in that my mother and grandmother invite us and pay for long weekend vacations every year (not at Disney and not in nice hotels!) We love to see the family and appreciate it, but it costs us a lot in airfare and time. These trips are wonderful, but do take away from other vacation options we might have. We love our family, we love our vacations, we love Disney, sometimes it is hard to merge it all together. I am sure Jake did not complain to his inlaws. Let's allow him to whine a bit on a forum of Disney resort lovers!
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to WDW 12 times and I paid for the trip 10 of them. The last 2 trips my inlaws paid because they said my kids, "deserved to go once a year" and they wanted to "start a tradition".

I hate "freebies" as you called it and have fought tooth and nail each time they have offered to send us away.

I don't think it's feasible to take more than one trip to WDW a year given our families busy work and social schedule. My son is a very good athlete who is the starting quarterback, starting pitcher/shortstop and starting point guard on his youth sports teams. What comes along with being a great athlete are more commitments. All Star tournaments etc. Also, I coach his teams so my commitment is there as well.
    Oh, I'm sorry. From your previous posts, you said your inlaws pay for a yearly trip for your family to WDW. It wasn't until here that you mentioned it was only twice (the past two years).

You also said you take your family on a yearly vacation besides that trip, so that's why it appears you have time for two trips in a year. Hence, why I mentioned the free trip and your own paid trip.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Default Get Over Yourself

I knew when I posted this that it would be a tricky post and would have people on both sides of the fence. Like I said earlier, we just love staying on property and the resort is the most important aspect of our trip so I am a bit disappointed that we won't be back at our favorite place in the world, the Beach Club, anytime soon.

Hopefully we get to a point where we trade out to another resort someplace else along with doing our yearly WDW vacation at the BC.

Jay
    I apologize in advance since this is going to sound ultra critical. You have 2 choices as I see it:
    1) take vacations with the in-laws; or
    2) Pay for your own trips to the Beach Club.

I truly fail to see why you think you have ANY right to complain. My MIL cannot afford to do anything for us (she can barely afford to live on her own anymore)and my parents are both gone. So you have someobdoy that wants to take you on vacation and pay for it. If you are an employee of a company the company does not typically consult you on where they are putting up buildings(unless that is your job) so why would someone who is buying a time share consult you. Lastly what makes you thinkthat trading out to another resort is a group decision. Unless I have missed a post YOU HAVE NOT PAID FOR ANYTHING so it is your in-laws decision not yours
    Last edited by MNNHFLTX; 05-23-2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: per Terms of Service

lockedoutlogic Guest

Just found out today that my in-laws who send our family to WDW each year (for the kids of course!) bought a time share at the Marriott Royal Palms.

I know it sounds selfish but I'm not happy about it. The best part of our stay each year is the resort we stay in (Beach Club) and we have never dreamed of staying anywhere off site. Now I feel like we will have to stay at Royal Palms each trip and the resort is everything to us. I know nothing about the resort except that they paid $15,000 for it.

It's eating my wife and I up that they could of spent a bit more and bought into the DVC.

Anyone know anything about staying off-site or more specifically about the Royal Palms? Any info appreciated!

Please help talk me off of the ledge!!

Jay
    I've found in the past that anytime a relative buys anything at $15,000 that i have use of.....it really isn't my right to complain

At some point...you have to look at it through adult eyes.....just because you were their children...doesn't mean you are still their children

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gottaluvgoof View Post
    I was always taught not to "Look a gift horse in the face."
    I'll say again....this is not exactly a gift. Its a generous gesture on the in-laws part, but it's not a gift.

The reason one does not look a gift horse in the mouth is because it's now YOUR horse. You are free to do with it as you please. You could use it for a plough, ride it around, sell it for cash, or eat it as a last resort.

The OP has no such rights to freely do with this timeshare as he pleases.
    Last edited by MNNHFLTX; 05-23-2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: off-topic remark
    80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    DL - Grand Californian 3/06
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10
    BLT @ the CR, 9/09, 12/10 - Daddy-Daughter Trip

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you Jakeybake. This isn't how you want to spend your WDW trips. I know I might get flamed too, but I would be crushed without my stays at the Polynesian. I love it there as much, if not more than the parks. To lose that and have to stay elsewhere would not feel good. Sounds like that how you feel about the Beach Club. And all the other issues with hurt feelings..possible strained relationships...limited time to spend your family vacations as your kids get older. Yikes. I know others say you seem ungrateful, however I get it. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. Its a "gift" I wouldn't like.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch. Some pretty darned harsh replies.

I completely get what you're saying, Jakeybake. I would be sad, too. You have limited vacation time a year and only allot one week to WDW. Now you have to stay where the ILs are during that week. If you book the BC during that week, they'll be offended. "We spent $15K and he won't stay with us!!!" And while I love WDW, I like to take other trips as well so I can understand not wanting to use all your leave just going there.

So yeah, I'd be sad, too. I love staying on site and now that I'm hooked on the Poly, I can't imagine staying anywhere else. I'd feel obligated to stay with the in-laws.

And for what it's worth, my ILs have generously offered to let us trade one of their many time shares in for a week at pretty much any Orlando timeshare. We've declined. I guess that makes me spoiled, too. I'm just glad I don't have to travel with them. Yikes!
    ~~Julie~~

Post Thanks / Like

As someone who has never stayed off property, I understand exactly where you're coming from. I think the negative comments are coming mostly from people who consider a hotel as a place to sleep and nothing else. After all, you're going to the parks, what do you care what the hotel looks like when you're hardly there anyway?

I have come to realize that it is VERY important to me to stay on property. There is something very magical about walking through the beautifly themed resorts that makes the extra expense so very worth it to us. There is a sense of being transported to another world on property. There are no fast food restaurants and convience stores to look at. There is no road rage. There is just peace and tranquility (at least that's how I feel when I'm there) When we went to Disneyland for a family vacation in 2005, my husband and I were the only ones who stayed on property. We still had a great vacation with everyone.

That said, what if you and your wife stay on property and the kids stay with your inlaws? Isn't that who they are doing this for anyway? You have said that it's important to you to stay on property. How do your kids feel about it? maybe it's not so important to them. And if it is, maybe they will be able to tell their grandparents in a way that you couldn't without coming off as ungrateful that a big part of the magic of being at WDW is the total experience. Or maybe you could trade of every other year. Maybe even treat them to a stay on property. It's not like they could be offended that you wan't to pay for their trip when they have already paid for yours twice.

I think that a lot of the comments you have received are from people that also don't realize that you are venting here instead of at your family. Everyone has those moments that you know what you are upset about may be for selfish reasons, but they still upset you and what better way of venting than on an anonymous message board?

Please don't take the "selfish reasons" comment the wrong way. I wasn't directing that at you, just that we are all human and we are not perfect.
    Grim Grinning Ghosts come out to socialize.
    Nov/Dec 2001 POR-early 10th anniversary
    Oct/Nov 2002 Poly/AKL-late 10th anniversary
    Dec 2003 POR
    Nov 2007 CBR
    Oct/Nov 2008 CBR/AKL
    Nov/Dec 2019? I HOPE!!!!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: