Quantcast Six Flags in Atlanta / Louisville

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Six Flags in Atlanta / Louisville

We're thinking about stopping at either the Six Flags in Atlanta or in Louisville when we're on our way to Disney. We'd actually be at one of the parks for the 4th of July, I think.

We have a 9 year old and twin 5 year olds that love roller coasters (assuming they're tall enough to ride!).

Has anyone been to both? Tickets are a little cheaper in Kentucky. Is it related to the size of the park?

Any info?
    Next trip - New Years 2018!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in the Atlanta area and to be honest with you, I wouldn't waste your money on Six Flags, at least not the one here. It is not in the greatest part of town. The park is usually very crowded and very dirty as well. A few of the coasters are good, but the rest are just average, nothing special. They added an in-park water park area and the new Thomas-land is supposed to open soon. It is the new Thomas the Tank Engine themed kids area. I guess they're trying to make the park more family and kid friendly. I've not been to the park in Louisville, but I have been next to it at the fairgrounds for a car show. The park there looks nicer and cleaner from the outside.
    Erin- WDW College Program Alumni and current WDW Seasonal Merchandise CM- The Art of Disney Gallery/Wonderful World of Memories/Disney Days of Christmas @ Downtown Disney Marketplace șOș

Last Trip: June 4-6, 2010 @ CBR- Pirate Room!

Next Trip: Spring Break 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Six Flags Over Georgia isn't that bad. It's actually one of the better Six Flags in the chain. Some people hate it and think it's full of gangsters, though. I didn't see any gang activity at Six Flags. Of course, I am a very tall, very big Asian guy who looks imitating, so no gangs mess with me!

IMHO, if you want a Disney quality theme park to visit on your way to WDW, I would suggest going to Dollywood. It might be a little off your path, but it's worth the trip. A friend of mine calls Dollywood "Disney in the Smokies." I think that's a great description!
    Also known as Barry H.

Post Thanks / Like

I would highly recommend the Holiday World theme park in Southern Indiana. It is about an hour west of Louisville on I-64(or an hour east of Evansville if you decide to come down US41) It has three great coasters and an awesome water park. It is very very family friendly and is consistently rated one of the top parks in the country. I am sure that you would enjoy your day there.

Thanks
    Scott C
    Evansville IN
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Jun 75 - Jul 84 Dutch Inn
    Oct 78 - Nov 88 Poly - Honeymoon(88)
    May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Living exactly between the 2 parks I've been 2 both of them a couple of times. I have to say that Six Flags is one of the worst amusement park chains. I grew up going to Cedar Point, Geauga Lake and Kings Island and they are so much better. However between the 2 Atlanta is much better! The rides are better, the park is cleaner and the crowds are nicer. We have found Six Flags KY to have very pushy, rude people. Have fun!
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

I live about one hour from the Six Flags in Louisville and about 30 minutes from Holiday World/Splashin' Safari in Santa Claus Indiana. As one of the previous posters said Holiday World/Splashin' Safari is about one hour west of Louisville and is about 15 minutes south of Interstate-64.

I would NEVER EVER go to the Six Flags in Louisville for any reason!!! This one used to be locally owned and did not have very good rides and was very dirty when the local people owned it. Since the Six Flags company has owned it things have only become worse. The park has a real problem with cleanliness and with roving gangs of trouble makers who come there to hang out and cause trouble.

In addition, this particular park also has a HORRIBLE maintenance record. In fact, I believe it was two summers ago that a girl literally had both legs cut off by a cable that snapped on their drop ride!! This is one of those rides you see at so many thrill parks where there is a center posts with outward facing seats on all four sides. The riders are raised to the top of the post and then dropped.

Anyway, according to the official findings of the investigators, due to maintenance that was not done and other maintenance that was not done correctly a cable became frayed and as the ride started to drop the cable snapped and whipped out and wrapped itself around the girls legs. The girl would have been seriously hurt at that point but to make matters worse, again because of issues with maintenance or its lack, the ride was suppose to stop automatically in its tracks when something like that happened. However, that did not happen and the ride continued to drop which caused the cable to tighten around the girls legs and cut them off.

Needless to say the whole matter is still in the courts. I don't remember the age of the girl, where she was from or any other details like that, I just remember all the publicity it received in the local area. In fact it even made a few national newspapers and TV/Radio shows as well.

Now on to the exact opposite situation. Holiday World/Splashin' Safari is a VERY nice park that has three GREAT roller coasters along with the usual assortment of other thrill park rides. All three of the coasters are wooden coasters. One of the coasters is continuously rated in the top 5 of wooden coasters in the country and one of the other ones has been rated as the number 1 wooden coaster in the world for several years now. Granted I don't know who is doing the rating but it is in their advertising all the time and I can tell you from personal experience before my back got so bad I couldn't ride anymore that their coasters really are fantastic!

They also have a very nice size water park with quite a few nice rides both large and small. The water park is automatically included with your price of admission.

What is really nice about this park is how absolutely clean it is kept!! Again, the same body that rates the roller coasters also rates cleanliness and Holiday World/Splashin' Safari is always number 1 in cleanliness ahead even of the Disney Parks that normally come in either number 2 or 3 with this same group. I also like the fact that they do strictly enforce that you have to cover up your swimsuit when you go from the water park into the theme park.

In addition to all that the price of admission also includes free suntan lotion and free soft drinks all day! And no, you don't have to buy a mug or anything like that. Instead they have small buildings liberally scattered throughout the entire property and you just walk up, grab a cup and stick it under the tap for the drink of your choice! And best of all NO BEVERLY!!

I know I sound like a free advertisement for Holiday World/Splashin' Safari but I think it is a great park that deserves more attention! No I don't work there nor do I own any stock in it or actually even directly know anyone who works there so my opinion is based solely on the experiences that both I and my family have had with the two parks I have talked about here.

Post Thanks / Like

I give a 3rd to Holiday World. Nice size, very clean and reasonably priced. Our family always hits it between our WDW trips! And we've been told by the employees that the 4th of July is one of the best days to visit in the summer!
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Post Thanks / Like

dont do atlanta six flags!

try theres a park in valdosta ga that HAS to better.
    16 FW, SS
    15 CS, FW
    14 CS,FW,POR
    13 BCW
    12 BC
    11 BC
    10 FW
    09 DEC
    08 FW,POR
    07 OK, SS, CBR, POR
    06 POLY,AS,FW,YC
    05 SS,FW
    04 GF,CR,POLY,POP,ASM
    03 BC,WL
    02 AKL
    01 WLV,GF
    00 BC
    99 POLY, POR
    98 CS,BW
    97 C
    96 FQ,OK
    95 CB,BW
    94 WL
    93 OKW
    92 DL
    91 RMG
    90 RMG
    83 TH
    76 V
    71 HI

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Kentucky and must tell you, I am a Disney Snob! Yes, I said it. Now, after saying it, I encourage you NOT to visit Kentucky Kingdom. Last year a young girl had both her legs cut off from the Superman ride at KK. Please google either park, before wasting your money or time. Just wait until you get to WDW and/or go to Universal for the rollercoasters if need be. You will discover there's no place like home at Disney!
    Queen Stephanie
    1997 Allstar
    1998 CBR
    1999 Poly
    1999 Wilderness Lodge
    2000 POR/Vero Beach DVC
    2001 Disneyland Hotel
    2002 OKW
    2003 Poly
    2004 OKW
    2005 OKW
    2006 OKW
    2007 OKW
    2008 OKW & SSR
    2009 AKL & OKW

Post Thanks / Like

I live near Six Flags in Atlanta, and to be quite honest, I wouldn't waste my money! Everything is extremely overpriced, and compared to Disney, you'll be very disappointed! If you want to stop in Atlanta, try Stone Mountain park (it's a small park, but not as big of a waste of money as six flags), or The Georgia Aquarium. It's also right across the street from the World of Coca Cola, and Centennial Olympic Park. I'd much rather do those things than Six Flags!
    Last trips: August 06, May 07, November 08, June 09
    Next trip: May 21-30, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by busterthebronco View Post
    dont do atlanta six flags!

try theres a park in valdosta ga that HAS to better.
    NO!! Do NOT go to Wild Adventures!!! It's 90% old carnival rides! No joke! Their waterpark and zoo are ok I guess, but the theme park is terrible!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kadesha View Post
    NO!! Do NOT go to Wild Adventures!!! It's 90% old carnival rides! No joke! Their waterpark and zoo are ok I guess, but the theme park is terrible!!
    thanks for the info!
    i guess i'm going with the dollywood guy then.
    16 FW, SS
    15 CS, FW
    14 CS,FW,POR
    13 BCW
    12 BC
    11 BC
    10 FW
    09 DEC
    08 FW,POR
    07 OK, SS, CBR, POR
    06 POLY,AS,FW,YC
    05 SS,FW
    04 GF,CR,POLY,POP,ASM
    03 BC,WL
    02 AKL
    01 WLV,GF
    00 BC
    99 POLY, POR
    98 CS,BW
    97 C
    96 FQ,OK
    95 CB,BW
    94 WL
    93 OKW
    92 DL
    91 RMG
    90 RMG
    83 TH
    76 V
    71 HI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by busterthebronco View Post
    thanks for the info!
    i guess i'm going with the dollywood guy then.
    Dollywood would be MUCH better than that place!

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Atlanta and have not been to Six Flags over the past 3-4 years. My family loves Disney and it's really hard to compare the two as Disney is much better. I do remember though that the last time I was there, they had 4-5 really good rollercoasters (Batman was my favorite). There is the occasional news story about gang activity in the park. The last time I visited, there were metal detectors at the gates. Having said that, I did not have any problems. Just be prepared for unchaperoned loud teenagers.

Post Thanks / Like

I also live in Atlanta and grew up going to Six Flags. Last summer I took 4 teenagers to Six Flags and it will be the last time I go. My niece begged me to take her and some friends for her 16th birthday. I should have just taken her to WDW! I have become a Disney snob myself. I found the park to be dirty and overruned with rowdy unchaperoned teenagers who have no manners.

Basically the only rides there are roller coasters so if that is what you want, that is basically the only rides you will get.

I use to teach on that side of town and many of my students worked at the park....that is only one of the reasons I quit going to Six Flags. The students I worked with were not the ones I wanted supervising the safety of my thrill rides.

I agree with the previous writer about Dollywood. I am ashamed to say that the Atlanta area theme park doesn't have much more to offer. It use to be a lovely park where my family at one time at season passes.
    Disney Dream'n
    ~Bev

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First Trip 1977 Fort Wilderness Campground
    Many trips in between!

Typical Disney Home- Wilderness Lodge - OUR NEW HOME AT WDW!!!
    Last Trip Feb 2010 Princess Half Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dollywood

Yes, I agree that Dollywood is a terrific alternate...quaint and friendly place.
    Queen Stephanie
    1997 Allstar
    1998 CBR
    1999 Poly
    1999 Wilderness Lodge
    2000 POR/Vero Beach DVC
    2001 Disneyland Hotel
    2002 OKW
    2003 Poly
    2004 OKW
    2005 OKW
    2006 OKW
    2007 OKW
    2008 OKW & SSR
    2009 AKL & OKW

Post Thanks / Like

I live near Six Flags of Georgia too and also would not recommend it. There are a few good roller coasters but it no where compares to the atmosphere of WDW. Islands of Adventure at Universal Studios has better roller coasters if that is what you are looking for and it is much nicer. Six Flags is a little pricey too unless you find coupons. I have never been to the other theme parks mentioned but I do not recommend Six Flags once you have been to Orlando!

July 2001--FW
    Christmas 2005--Offsite
    Oct 2007--GF
    May 2008--Pop
    Oct 2009--Poly
    Oct 2010--BW
    Nov 2010--CS
    Nov/Dec 2011--BW
    Feb 2012--GF
    April 2012--AS
    Sep 2012--WL
    April 2013--Fantasy (eastern carribean)
    Sep 2013-SS
    Sep 2014-Fantasy (western carribean)
    Jan 2015-CS
    May 2016-Fantasy

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the Six Flags in Kentucky, but I agree with most of the others that say to stay away from Six Flags Over Georgia. I've only been a couple of times and neither time was worth it. I only went back the second time because I got free tickets through a radio station promotion, and we were going to an Atlanta Braves game the next day. There are a few things there that can be enjoyable, but there are too many negatives for me to recommend it.

Dollywood is a nice park, as many others have said. It's not Disney caliber, but it is a fun park with three great coasters (1 wooden, 2 steel) and several other attractions. The only problem is that you'll have to go out of your way to get there because you'll have to get on Interstate 40 eastbound once you reach Nashville and drive about 3 1/2 hours (and pass through where I live ) to arrive at Dollywood. Plus, I think there is major construction going on around Knoxville this summer, so you might have to take a detour around that area. After visiting Dollywood, you would then have get back on Interstate 40 westbound until you reach Interstate 75 southbound, which will take you almost all of the way to WDW.

I haven't been to Holiday World in Santa Clause, Indiana, but I've heard many positive things about it. The drive would only be a little over an hour to the west of Louisville, KY, which you would be passing through anyway, to go towards WDW.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so Holiday World and Dollywood are definitely "yes" votes for the future trips, and I am TOTALLY skipping out on the Six Flags trips.
    We have a Six Flags part outside of Chicago that isn't bad.... I think I'll stick with what I know and not take any major risks with the other Six Flags parks.
    Nothing will EVER compare to Disney, of course!!!
    Next trip - New Years 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

Default six flags over mid

We have always gone to Six flags over mid america; our last trip being for Fright Fest '07. It is a very nice park and the kids have a good time there. We particularly like the water park, so we bought season passes at Fright fest, for this year. It is a very pretty park, always clean, lots of landscaping done, and I have never run into anything like ghetto gansters or anything of the sort there. Everyone seems very nice. I will also vouch for Dollywood. They also have a splash country if you prefer water rides but Dollywood itself has much more spirit. Sometimes you can run into Dolly Parton, herself, inside the park. She visits every now and then. Another option could be Busch Gardens, in Tampa Fl. They seem to have a nice park going for them. If you are driving down though, we usually stop about Nashville. I would just find something to do in this town, since it will save you from going out of your way to Dollywood. You are going to go 4 hours out of your way, and it may take longer if you get caught in traffic in seiverville and pigeon forge; something that is quite typical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: