Quantcast Jared's Triumphant Return to Trip Reports: Day 1 (5/22)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Introduction:
    Loyal and discerning readers will remember I have not written a trip report in about four years. Close friends know my last two reports remain unfinished, sitting somewhere on a broken hard drive in a junkyard garbage pile. I finally stopped trying. Instead of posting two or three days months after my trip and leaving everyone wondering how my family ever made it home, I stopped sharing our exploits with those who care the most: the Disney-crazed INTERCOT community.

Standing in the shower Saturday morning, less than an hour before boarding a bus for Disney’s Hollywood Studios, I mentally started writing a report of the day before. Words were flowing so easily I started wishing for a waterproof pen, not wanting to forget a single sentence. That’s when I knew I had to return from my hiatus.

I’ve been home for less than a day, and I’m starting to feel the post-Disney blues. This past weekend was nearly perfect, culminating with breakfast yesterday morning at an outdoor table at Spoodles overlooking the BoardWalk. I rode Toy Story Mania! thrice and tried the updated Spaceship Earth for the first time. I even had my first real-life meeting with my oldest friend from the boards.

I will finish this report. I promise. The vacation won’t end with my family meandering around a park. I only hope I can bring a touch of the Disney magic to all of you.

Cast of Characters:
    Jared, 20: Intrepid leader, INTERCOT member and trip planner
    Jeff, 55: Most reluctant Disney traveler, exclusive payer and father of the house
    Carol, 47: Original Disney fan, closest to my level of enthusiasm for Walt Disney World
    Justin, 15: Thrill seeker who could spend his entire trip riding Space Mountain over and over
    Elyssa, 11: Resident scaredy-cat but with a heart of gold

Day 1: Thursday, May 22
    The hardest part of any departure day is waiting. All that excitement and anxiousness, the thrill of watching the countdown slowly turn from 150 to zero, realizing all that waiting will finally pay off. To take my mind of Disney for a few hours, I went with my best friend, Matt, and his father to see “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” in the morning. I liked the movie enough, perhaps even more than “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.” It fits nicely into the Indy lexicon. But that’s a post for a different thread.

Finally, the clock read 4:30 p.m. and a taxi pulled into my driveway ready to help us begin our journey to the magic land. Traffic was surprisingly light on the Grand Central Parkway considering the time of the day. The roads must have known we were coming, and we arrived at New York’s LaGuardia Airport shortly after 5. I was surprised to learn Delta is now charging $3 per bag to check luggage curbside — a perk my family has often enjoyed — so we waited on the line inside the terminal with the rest of the minions.

We were through security with plenty of time, so we grabbed a quick dinner at the small food court before heading to the gate. Justin and Elyssa had hat dogs from Nathan’s, while my parents and I chose Sbarro. They had slices. I had a mediocre chicken stromboli. Kennedy airport has Famiglia pizza, which still isn’t particularly good, but it is much better than Sbarro.

Those of you who fly regularly to or from the New York airports know the scheduled departure and arrival times are mere suggestions, not rules. At JFK, the FAA considers any flight landing with an hour of the scheduled time “on-time.” So imagine our surprise when we boarded the plane about 35 minutes prior to our 6:58 flight. The weather was good, no rain or wind. We actually thought we’d leave when our boarding passes said we would. Alas, that was just wishful thinking. We finally pushed back from the gate a few minutes after 7 and gracefully took off around 7:30.

For many years, Delta was almost the only airline we ever flown. We consistently had good experiences, and something always seemed to go wrong when we tried something new. But JetBlue became king when it debuted a decade ago. The televisions at every seat and incredible number of cheap flights between New York and Florida won us over. Flying Delta was like a return to our roots, and I had almost forgotten what it was like to take a semi-long flight without ESPN instead of a blank seat back and unlimited free snacks instead of a tiny bag of peanuts. (What’s the deal with airline peanuts, anyway? Flying always makes me think of Jerry Seinfeld.)

Though we left a little late, we still landed virtually on time, somehow (another Seinfeld quip). We deplaned and took the airport shuttle to the main terminal. Does anyone else consider that 30-second tram the first ride of the trip? Hearing that recorded voice say “Please stand clear of doors” reminds me where I am. That’s when I know Disney is imminent. I am home.

Disney’s Magical Express was waiting for us just outside the airport door to whisk us away to Disney’s Beach Club Resort. I love that ridiculous video on the bus. It isn’t special, but my brother and I always have a good laugh about the narration. (“No, Stitch, not you. Actually, I was referring to the Yeti.”)

The bus stopped at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort and Disney’s BoardWalk Inn before reaching the Beach Club. It was around midnight — way too dark to appreciate the surroundings. We were all exhausted, anyway, and excited to begin our adventure in the morning. We checked into room 4660, our abode for the weekend. I don’t remember how long it took everyone to fall asleep. It’s always hard to shut down with images of the Magic Kingdom rushing through the brain. I knew I would see Cinderella Castle for the first time since October in just nine hours, and eventually, somehow, the tiredness took over, and I fell asleep dreaming of the Main Street Bakery and a batch of chocolate chip cookies fresh out of the oven.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, you're on a roll - DON'T STOP NOW! When you've written in your post
    This past weekend was nearly perfect,
    we're ready to hear the WHOLE adventure! Looking forward to them, Jared!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe you are studying to be a journalist..... I really enjoy your style (I feel like I am right there!). I agree with you on the little train thing at MCO. It really is the beginning of the arrival! Keep 'em coming!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    That’s when I knew I had to return from my hiatus.
    Yeah, Jared is back! I was wondering how the trip went. Glad to hear that you are going to write again.

Glad that you made it safe and sound. And yes I think too about the short monorail trip from the terminal to baggage claim as a pre-Disney event.
    Mary

Been there, done that, definitely going back!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jared!

As I approch the runway in Orlando, I'm always on the lookout for my first sight of a palm tree. The ride on the tram is my confirmation that all is right with the World! (At least until I have to take that tram ride back out to the terminal!)

Can't wait to read more about your trip!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to reading more....
    Deb
    2012 Jan ALSM
    2011 July POFQ
    2010 July POR
    2009-Oct 3 days POFQ
    2009-June POFQ
    2008-Aug OKW
    2007-June WL
    2007-Jan POFQ
    2006-July Polynesian
    2005-June OKW
    2004-July BCV
    2004-Jan off site
    2003-July FWC
    2003-Dec/Jan CS
    2002-June OKW
    2000-July POFQ
    1999-July OKW
    1998-July OKW
    Have a Disney Day!!!

Post Thanks / Like

YES!

You have returned!

I can't wait to read more about your trip. I feel like I was an honorary member there, in spirit.

I'll be waiting for more!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good start.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you're back! Can't wait to read more!
    Danielle

First Trip: April 1977
    Last Trip:- June 15-June 27 BLT and Vero Beach
    Next Trip: June 20-30 Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Great reporting!! I definitely can't wait to read more about your trip!
    M°o°nica

Prepare to Shake..Rattle & Roll!
    Freeway Construction Ahead Take Atl. Route.Traffic Jammed.Drive Safely Detour Ahead..get ready to ROCK! All lanes open.SO FLOOR IT! Car Pool lanes open..WIDE OPEN - RnRC

Next Up: Oct 28 - Nov 7th!

N' Awlin's girl born & raised

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see the hiatus is over, and looking forward to reading the rest of your reports ... Since some of us don't get to the World so often. Also, sounds like your thoughts on the new Indy are similar to mine, looking forward to your review on that as well.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Great start! Let's see who finishes their 4 day trip report first! Haha and my trip was a month ago...oops

Mmmmm...Main Street Bakery. You are making me hungry for chocolate chip cookies!

I am looking forward to reading more soon!
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KylesMom View Post
    OK, you're on a roll - DON'T STOP NOW! When you've written in your post we're ready to hear the WHOLE adventure! Looking forward to them, Jared!
    I'm hoping to have the second day up by tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDudet View Post
    YES!I can't wait to read more about your trip. I feel like I was an honorary member there, in spirit.
    That's because you were! We sent so many text messages you were virtually there with me!

Quote Originally Posted by 2Epcot View Post
    Also, sounds like your thoughts on the new Indy are similar to mine, looking forward to your review on that as well.
    I'll try to put a review together sometime today.

The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing. I agree that arriving at the airport and riding the monorail is very much when the trip starts for us and is very exciting.

Now the question is, will we see reports for the entire trip?
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

This past weekend was nearly perfect, culminating with breakfast yesterday morning at an outdoor table at Spoodles overlooking the BoardWalk.
    You're killing me!

What is with the food court at Delta's JFK terminal anyway? Yet another reason to fly JetBlue. However, the vending machines with electronics in them were very cool.

Glad to see your report. Keep 'em coming!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Cast of Characters:
    Jared, 20: Intrepid leader, INTERCOT member and trip planner
    Was I the only one he lost with this statement

Those of you who fly regularly to or from the New York airports know the scheduled departure and arrival times are mere suggestions, not rules.

(What’s the deal with airline peanuts, anyway? Flying always makes me think of Jerry Seinfeld.)

Though we left a little late, we still landed virtually on time, somehow (another Seinfeld quip).
    How True these statements flying out of the NY/NJ area. I think everyone who flys should have to experiance an airport in this area.

Great Report so far
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Flying always makes me think of Jerry Seinfeld.
    So, to kill time in the terminal, were you placing bets on the arrivals too?
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Keep it going Jared - I only have 3 days of Figaro's left to get his paws to type out but you may beat us! Glad I am not the only one who thinks the tram is the first (and last ) ride of the trip
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

Your report is very very cool, and when you consider that I am currently banished to a burb for a course it would be kinda like a public service to post another exellent report don't you think?

Looking forward to it!!
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try to put a review together sometime today.
    There is no try
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: